• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

14 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Is there a good prayer for stupidity?

Not that I want more stupidity, and I will live with what  I have, but is there a good prayer of warning not to use it to the extent I do sometimes?

I am in such pain! I know better yet "stupid" takes over, and I  says so what that you are alone and the seven foot tall china hutch with the heavy glass doors is too much for one person to move never mind take out of the house. Get it out of the house and ready it for the trash truck if someone doesn't take it with it's FREE sign taped to it anyway. Just do it, go ahead. And I do.

Then I painted three hundred sixty square feet of ceilings,  removed carpet tack tracking and base cove from two rooms, put a second coat of wall trim paint on two rooms.

And; as I was bending over trying to get some extra paint on the area where the base cove had been, it happened. That old "I got ya!" lower bck pain. Can't straighten up,  can't walk, can't take a shoe off, can't get to the pain pills- have to yell like an idiot a near dying groan to my bride for help.

Now I am in an upright chair, spouse has brought me a computer to play with, I am on the pills,  packed in ice and contemplating over fifty years of stupid. One with a once broken back,  and torn everything probably shouldn't push the limits. It is stupid to do so thinking hey this time I'll get by okay nothing will happen.

Anyway it is obvious to me that I will never get smart regarding such things, and so I wonder, is there a good prayer for stupidity?

Common sense? Wisdom? Praying before you start a task?

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,868
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/01/1968

research ways to make your work less taxing, back brace can help, Dolly's etc. reminding yourself to always bend at the knees even when just simply bending over to pick up a paint brush, there lots of ways to get a job done without hurting yourself. if paying someone else to do it is a option yea my make the job for expensive but it's better than being laid up with a sore back.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  463
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

9 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Not that I want more stupidity, and I will live with what  I have, but is there a good prayer of warning not to use it to the extent I do sometimes?

I am in such pain! I know better yet "stupid" takes over, and I  says so what that you are alone and the seven foot tall china hutch with the heavy glass doors is too much for one person to move never mind take out of the house. Get it out of the house and ready it for the trash truck if someone doesn't take it with it's FREE sign taped to it anyway. Just do it, go ahead. And I do.

Then I painted three hundred sixty square feet of ceilings,  removed carpet tack tracking and base cove from two rooms, put a second coat of wall trim paint on two rooms.

And; as I was bending over trying to get some extra paint on the area where the base cove had been, it happened. That old "I got ya!" lower bck pain. Can't straighten up,  can't walk, can't take a shoe off, can't get to the pain pills- have to yell like an idiot a near dying groan to my bride for help.

Now I am in an upright chair, spouse has brought me a computer to play with, I am on the pills,  packed in ice and contemplating over fifty years of stupid. One with a once broken back,  and torn everything probably shouldn't push the limits. It is stupid to do so thinking hey this time I'll get by okay nothing will happen.

Anyway it is obvious to me that I will never get smart regarding such things, and so I wonder, is there a good prayer for stupidity?

Have you really been doing fifty years of stupid? Well I think that your wife might know.

Anyway, Jesus said, "Come to me all that are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me for I am gentle and humble of heart and you will find rest for your soul."

As much work as you did, like as if you were a young person.. why do that when there are young people around.. Perhaps at your local church?

Either that or ask God to renew your strength so that you can do things like a younger person without getting a pain in your back.

Or take one project at a time, go slowly, take plenty of breaks before you're finished with each project. If you're not sure how many breaks to take, ask your wife.

So, which is the more wise thing to pray for?

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,569
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Thanks all for taking time to respond to my question/lament/confession. Here it is 3:30 AM I just took an Ibuprofen, looked around at the walls I want to get a third coat of paint on this morning before stripping one more room of it's furniture so I can rip out the carpet, scrape the popcorn ceiling smooth, take the trim work off, and begin painting that additional room, all in preparation for putting down the new plank flooring that arrived yesterday. I did treat myself to delivery  of the flooring and baseboard instead of trucking it here myself. I thought about loading and unloading  some 1300 pounds of material against the reasonable cost of delivery to inside my house. Boy am I glad I made that decision!

I should be sleeping some more, but after losing time to the extreme pain and disability yesterday my mind just races on saying get to it get up get ready, can sleep on another day. Even I know that is stupid. I just can't get brain to agree and shut down. So I am up relaxing here working through the nuttiness of what my mind does. I will get to read Bible, pray and join in prayer with others on differing issues of lives too. And that is good, but boy to be able to sleep and just heal up a few more hours would be pretty nice too.

The area I'm redoing is a mother in law apartment  inside my house that we built back in 1984 for an aunt that was coming to live with us. She was with us as a delight in our lives for fourteen years. It has also been used for a married  adult child while they built their house, and then it has been abandoned, until being recently used as storage for my new bride's things. We want an area for quiet study and a common library for our Bible study materials, kind of a very quiet study, retreat, and prayer closet. So we have enthusiasm for the project. I just get to plodding along  on stuff like this once an idea sets in my head.  

I am going to modify the kitchen in it some to make it more diet friendly by putting  the health food processing/juicing stuff in that kitchen, kind of encouragement for  dieting and for fasting separate from all the other stuff that tempts, and to have a room set aside for deep sleep too. That's the goal, and perhaps I got over charged with the idea of it and just couldn't slow down once the decision to get started on it  was made.  

Work is kind of booming around here, so I don't know if I could get anyone to come in and do such a small project. Contractors are so busy they only want to do clean new work where they don't have any risks of nasty  surprises that cut into  profit. And I understand that,  why do a little rehab project when there is much bigger money making opportunity about,  now after so many years of struggle in the construction trades?

• Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,569
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

5 hours ago, Joulre2abba said:

Have you really been doing fifty years of stupid? Well I think that your wife might know.

Anyway, Jesus said, "Come to me all that are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me for I am gentle and humble of heart and you will find rest for your soul."

As much work as you did, like as if you were a young person.. why do that when there are young people around.. Perhaps at your local church?

Either that or ask God to renew your strength so that you can do things like a younger person without getting a pain in your back.

Or take one project at a time, go slowly, take plenty of breaks before you're finished with each project. If you're not sure how many breaks to take, ask your wife.

So, which is the more wise thing to pray for?

Hi, Well if one of my mother's old favorite expressions has any merit I have been 74 years stupid about such things.

The one line she enjoyed much from a little ditty was: When God handed out brains, I thought He said trains... And I missed mine.

• Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,605
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

Reading this gives me a smile. Think about all the other things I did that did not cause pain - those that missed me by a hair.

I have done and been somewhat where you have - though lost it all to CH7 + family too. So now I am just being quietly dumb alone.

Oh and the back thing - can happen just anytime. Carrying mom's coffin - then horrendously long flights of agony. Yuck. Real bad

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  463
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

24 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Hi, Well if one of my mother's old favorite expressions has any merit I have been 74 years stupid about such things.

The one line she enjoyed much from a little ditty was: When God handed out brains, I thought He said trains... And I missed mine.

I'm not familiar with that little ditty. I just know that our brain capacity increases with use, like any muscle in our bodies. :)

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  5
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

18 hours ago, Neighbor said:

This one sounds important for me and many. -_-

• Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,466
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

I can almost feel your pain.

Not many years ago at age 62, I tried lifting one end of my 500 pound tractor tiller to position it to hook up to the tractor. Big mistake! Long story short, only two positions I could get into to relieve any of the pain, completely prone on my stomach, or prone on my back. No amount of over the counter pain relievers even took the edge off the pain. Walking to and from the bathroom I walked as a hunchback.

Fortunately, before I went to a regular M.D. to seek a remedy, and that would take eon's longer than I could bear. I went to a chiropractor a few days after my injury, and after the 1st treatment it was bearable. After a couple more treatments, almost good as new. 

A good preventive remedy for oncoming stupid-ness, especially when painting, before bending... Is to bang your head on the drywall 10 times, each time saying verbally to yourself, "DON'T BE STUPID" after each bang. To the point of breaking a hole in the dry wall. This allows you to be vertical with no bending, while you repair the drywall and ponder your coming stupidity :laugh: 

Seriously though, I much prefer going to a quack practitioner first if they can help, rather than risking the slow process of scheduling surgery and waiting in pain. Have you tried a chiropractor? 

• Haha 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Thanks 1