15 SIGNS YOUR PASTOR IS A DUD

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  426
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  3

*Before criticizing this post, consider its items from the perspective of the New Testament's teachings, and of the Holy Spirit, rather than your personal feelings.

15 SIGNS YOUR PASTOR IS A DUD...

1. He treats lightly those things which the Bible treats seriously.

2. He makes lots of jokes and treats the sacred with irreverent humor.

3. He makes as many or more references to pop culture, sports, and secular writings as he does to the Scriptures.

4. He's wealthy; and he justifies it.

5. Your "pastor" is a woman.

6. Your pastor sounds like a secular motivational speaker or self-improvement guru.

7. He focuses on what God can give you or do for you, rather than on you doing His will.

8. He puts the word and traditions of men above and before the Word of God.

9. He makes everybody happy and never offends anyone.

10. He only talks about what God has done for you and promises you, never about what He expects or requires of you.

11. His "sermons" are 80% jokes and entertaining anecdotes and 20% spiritual edification.

12. He uses the pulpit as a platform for politics. 

13. EVERY sermon is a variation of an evangelistic message.

14. He "customizes" the Scriptures to suit people's tastes or his own agenda.

15. His conduct and character do not exemplify that of Jesus Christ.

My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation. (James 3:1 KJV)

"A horrible and shocking thing has happened in the land: The prophets prophesy lies, the priests rule by their own authority, and My people love it this way." (Jeremiah 5:30,31 NIV)

For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. (2 Timothy 4:3,4 ESV)

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,039
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,446
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

True story, sad and shocking but true...

A certain church I went to for several years kept getting rid of the good pastors.   They finally got one who said in one sermon that a Bible verse was wrong!  I approached him at the coffee hour after the service about what he had said.  He told me, "Oh, the Bible has been proven wrong in many ways by Science."

Needless to say I didn't go back there the following Sunday.   A few times over the course of some years, I tried going back to see if he had changed.   But he always seemed to say something odd, or one time he even said something that was demeaning to Bible believing Christians.  And another time he gave a sermon on wisdom without mentioning God or Jesus at all!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.20
  • Days Won:  115

Is this your work or did you copy it from somewhere?

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,298
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

"13. EVERY sermon is a variation of an evangelistic message."

Is this a problem with you?  Or it just happened to be on the list.  Your list?

2 hours ago, OneLight said:

Is this your work or did you copy it from somewhere?

It is a joint work of myself and the Lord.

6 minutes ago, Gary Lee said:

"13. EVERY sermon is a variation of an evangelistic message."

Is this a problem with you?  Or it just happened to be on the list.  Your list?

There's nothing wrong with an evangelistic sermon, but if you're always addressing the unsaved, when do you feed those who are already saved? When do you address their spiritual needs and instruct them with the knowledge that will grow them up into Christ? A man can only bring others as far as he himself has come. If all he knows is the gospel, all he will preach is the gospel, and there's much more to preach on than this, which Christians need. Lost sheep need to be found, but found sheep also need to be fed.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  976
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  13,926
  • Content Per Day:  5.08
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

I need no signs!  Certainly not 15, for I am led not by any pastor's message, and not by a style, but instead I am led by the Holy Spirit to stand my post as  a soldier of Christ Jesus wherever the Holy Spirit sets me.

I am to be in fellowship with other saints at a local body of Christ Jesus,  to give support in prayer, in personal work  effort, and in finance to a local body of Christ.

I need to ask by much prayer Lord where do I serve, and then I need to respond to the answer. I do not have need of entertainment at a church, nor coddling I have need to be growing in depth of service. I have need to be praying for the elders, the deacons, the deaconesses, and for the entirety of the body of Christ at my local church.

3 hours ago, LightShinesInTheDarkness said:

*Before criticizing this post, consider its items from the perspective of the New Testament's teachings, and of the Holy Spirit, rather than your personal feelings.

15 SIGNS YOUR PASTOR IS A DUD...

1. He treats lightly those things which the Bible treats seriously.

2. He makes lots of jokes and treats the sacred with irreverent humor.

3. He makes as many or more references to pop culture, sports, and secular writings as he does to the Scriptures.

4. He's wealthy; and he justifies it.

5. Your "pastor" is a woman.

6. Your pastor sounds like a secular motivational speaker or self-improvement guru.

7. He focuses on what God can give you or do for you, rather than on you doing His will.

8. He puts the word and traditions of men above and before the Word of God.

9. He makes everybody happy and never offends anyone.

10. He only talks about what God has done for you and promises you, never about what He expects or requires of you.

11. His "sermons" are 80% jokes and entertaining anecdotes and 20% spiritual edification.

12. He uses the pulpit as a platform for politics. 

13. EVERY sermon is a variation of an evangelistic message.

14. He "customizes" the Scriptures to suit people's tastes or his own agenda.

15. His conduct and character do not exemplify that of Jesus Christ.

My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation. (James 3:1 KJV)

"A horrible and shocking thing has happened in the land: The prophets prophesy lies, the priests rule by their own authority, and My people love it this way." (Jeremiah 5:30,31 NIV)

For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. (2 Timothy 4:3,4 ESV)

I will add one to it.  16.  He uses modern English translations instead of the KJV Bible.  

Your list contains some truth, but I can't fully endorse everything.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.20
  • Days Won:  115

43 minutes ago, LightShinesInTheDarkness said:

There's nothing wrong with an evangelistic sermon, but if you're always addressing the unsaved, when do you feed those who are already saved? When do you address their spiritual needs and instruct them with the knowledge that will grow them up into Christ? A man can only bring others as far as he himself has come. If all he knows is the gospel, all he will preach is the gospel, and there's much more to preach on than this, which Christians need. Lost sheep need to be found, but found sheep also need to be fed.

A true preacher will preach what the Lord placed on his heart, not what others want to hear.  If someone only goes to hear Gods word once a week and does not do their own personal study, or attend other bible studies, why would this be held against the one preaching?  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,298
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

52 minutes ago, LightShinesInTheDarkness said:

I agree. The flock needs to be fed by their shepherd. He should be ministering to believers, in different stages of spiritual growth. But in most any service, there are non believers. The burden for those aware of this, is to try to plant a seed, while feeding his people also. My pastor will always allow opportunity for the gospel message to some degree, during/after EVERY message/sermon given to the flock.  As members, that is our cue to pray/intercede for any lost that may be with us. But as you said, this is a fellowship of believers, feeding on the word, given to us by our pastor, and not a "revival" meeting for the non believer. 
As an aside, it would be cool if you could post  fifteen signs your pastor is Sold out for God........
:cool: