• Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  596
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  03/01/1969

When Did the Church Begin?

By Justin Johnson

When the church began is an age old debate. But what is meant by “when did the church begin?”

To ask when the church began is not to ask when the church was first in the mind of God. This would not distinguish it from the beginning of all things, since God purposed all things before the world began (1 Cor 2:7; 2 Tim 1:9).

It is not to ask when did Christ begin, since that is an altogether different question. Christ as the Son is eternal and has no beginning. His humanity began with the virgin conception. The glorified Christ in heaven began with his resurrection and ascension.

To ask when the church began is a search for the first potentiality of church ministry. The beginning of the church can not be found where the ministry of the church is absent or impossible.

However, the most popular theories regarding when the church began do just that.

Theory: The church began at the first mention of a people of God.

If this be true, then we would find a church in the wilderness with Moses (Acts 7:35). After all, ‘church’ simply means congregation of God’s people. This is the position held by those who believe in only one people of God throughout the Bible.

This simplistic view of the church neglects to appreciate the vast differences in nature and operation of Israel then and the church today.

It could be said the only way the church today resembles the church of the wilderness (Israel) is that both are of God.

Israel in the wilderness is hardly the ministry pattern for the church today.

Theory: The church began when Christ was first preached.

If this be true then the church began with John the Baptist, the forerunner, and the Messiah’s ministry of the kingdom before the cross.

Whereas Israel had not yet received its Messiah, Peter knew that Jesus was the Christ, the Son of the living God, the promised Messiah (Matt 16:16-18).

However, at this time there is still a general absence of the church’s ministry as evidenced from Peter’s ignorance of the cross (Matt 16:21-23).

In the Messiah’s ministry, salvation was of the Jews (John 4:22); ministry did not include the Gentiles (Matt 10:5; Matt 15:24-26); they were under the law (Matt 5:17-19, 23:2-3); and, most importantly, when they preached the gospel of the kingdom they did not understand the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ (Mark 9:31-32)!

The work of the cross would most definitely be required for the church to minister Christ and him crucified (1 Cor 2:2). No, that the church began before the cross will not work.

Theory: The church began when Christ resurrected and sent the Holy Ghost from heaven.

If this be true then the church began with Peter and the disciples at Pentecost. This is the most popular answer to when the church began.

Peter and the disciples knew of Christ’s death and resurrection according to the scriptures. The resurrection of Christ is necessary for the 

church to exist.

They were baptized with the Holy Ghost empowering them to speak and to act. The Spirit is necessary for the church to exist.

Certainly the church could not begin earlier than this point. However, the presence of things that are necessary for the church to operate does not mean the church is in operation.

A look at the ministry of the “church in Jerusalem” at Pentecost will reveal that its operation does not align with that given to church today.

Nothing that happened in Peter’s Pentecostal ministry was according to the mystery of Christ and the church. Nothing Peter preached at 

Pentecost was the subject of the mystery of Christ.

Everything he preached about Christ, his death, and resurrection was spoken by the prophets since the world began (Acts 2:16, 2:25, 3:21).

Peter did not expound on the nature of the new creature of Christ (2 Cor 5:17); or the unsearchable riches of God’s grace (Eph 3:8); or the union of the church with Christ, the fellowship of the mystery (Eph 3:9; Eph 4:3-6; 1 Cor 10:16).

He spoke only of those things that were foretold by the prophets about Christ, the kingdom, and salvation (Acts 3:24, 4:12).

The church which is the body of Christ operates according to the mystery of Christ (Eph 5:32, 1 Cor 2:7, Rom 16:25).

Filled with the Spirit, the disciples in Acts 2 sold all their possessions (Acts 2:44-45); continued in the temple (Acts 3:1); ministered to Israel only (Acts 2:22, 3:12); preached prophecy (Acts 3:18-22); and performed the supernatural signs of the kingdom (Acts 4:22).

Their ministry was a continuation of what had been preached before (Acts 1:22). Their message had changed, but only slightly, and it was certainly no mystery hidden from ages past (Col 1:26).

They were not operating according to the spiritual realities of the mystery church when Peter slew Ananias and Sapphira in the Spirit (Acts 4:10-13).

If the church began at Pentecost the Spirit that empowered them certainly did not want these apostles to know about it.

Theory: The church began when God revealed it.

“This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.” – Eph 5:32

The origin of the church’s ministry can not be found in the wilderness with Moses, in Israel with the Messiah, or in Jerusalem at Pentecost.

When God revealed the knowledge of the mystery concerning Christ and His church to Paul, the ministry of the church began, and with it the pattern and origin of the church of today.

“Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God; Even the mystery…” – Col 1:25-26

Before Paul the mystery operation of the church was kept secret. It was not possible anyone could minister according to it.

The confusion over when the church began can be attributed to the general ignorance of the mystery of Christ and His church revealed to the apostle Paul.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5

Not All Israel

By Justin Johnson

“Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel:” – Romans 9:6

Arguably, the most important verse in understanding how God’s promises to Israel will be fulfilled is Romans 9:6.

What it explains is not new, but it is significant in that the apostle Paul said it. Miss this verse, and you will make God’s word have no effect on Israel.

Two Israels

In Romans 9-11 Paul talks about who receives Israel’s promises. Romans 9:6 says that not every Israelite will receive what God promised to Israel.

In other words, there are two Israels. One contained within the other.

One is the Israel that is seen throughout history that can trace their lineage back to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

The second consists only of that part of historical Israel who by their faithful obedience to God serve him with circumcised hearts.

Only those Jews who are circumcised in heart according to the law will receive the promises, not all Israel (Deu 10:16).

It is faithful Israel that will receive the promises, not all Israel.

The Remnant of Israel

Historical Israel has always been much larger than faithful Israel.

In Elijah’s day there were seven thousand men who were faithful, and the rest of Israel served Baal (1 Kings 19:18).

In Nehemiah’s day most of Israel was destroyed or held captive by their enemies. Only a remnant returned (Neh 1:3).

“For though thy people Israel be as the sand of the sea, yet a remnant of them shall return: the consumption decreed shall overflow with righteousness.” – Isa 10:22

God calls only a remnant of Israel to live as the promised nation in the kingdom (Joel 2:32). The rest are consumed.

When Jesus came to Israel not all Israel received him. Only a small group which he called “little” received him (John 1:11-12).

“Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom.” – Luke 12:32

Isaiah called this remnant the “righteous nation” that would receive the kingdom (Isa 26:2).

When Peter preached at Pentecost to the multitude of Israel thousands believed, but not all Israel.

The Promises to Israel

God did not promise Abraham and Jacob that “all thy seed” would be a blessing, but that “in thy seed” would the nations be blessed.

Not all Israel has been nor will be a blessing to the nations.

God’s word has always had the effect of calling out the remnant of faithful Israel. God is not through with Israel.

“Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel:” – Romans 9:6

He is faithful to keep his promises to them, but not all of them get the promises.

He chose to give the kingdom to the faithful few of Israel, not all Israel.

The Kingdom to Israel

When that kingdom comes, it will not be to unbelieving faithless Israel, of the variety that mainly exists today in the land.

They will be removed and replaced with the smaller nation of Israel, at that time, faithful to the Messiah and possessing the Holy Ghost.

At that time there will be only one Israel, faithful Israel. The faithless will be consumed or turned away from the kingdom. The only Israel that remains and reigns in the kingdom will be saved throughout.

“And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob: For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.” – Roman 11:26-27

Until then, they, which are of Israel, are not all Israel (Rom 9:6).

Differences Between Acts 2, Acts 28, and Mid-Acts

By Justin Johnson

It would be naive to think all dispensationalists teach the same thing. They do not. Not all dispensationalists teach the same thing about Paul.

If you are new to dispensational Bible study you may not know the important differences between Acts 2, Acts 28, and Mid-Acts dispensationalists.

Others that know the differences may think we should all join hands in a common cause against covenant kingdom theology.

Still others will not identify themselves as different so as to persuade you secretly to join their ranks while you remain oblivious to what has happened.

And you might be one who does not know why it matters.

Here are a few simple definitions to help you discern what you are reading, who you are listening to, and whether or not you should be.

Dispensationalism

This is the teaching that how God acts toward mankind, and how he expects us to respond to him, changes through the Bible as he reveals his will.

Groups that see a difference in God’s operations (though not a change in God himself) are being dispensational.

If they claim a difference in Israel and the Church (with a future for both), Law and Grace, or Prophecy and Mystery then they would be dispensational.

Acts 2 Dispensational

Acts 2 dispensationalists see the church as a fulfillment of at least some Old Testament prophecies.

They claim the church began at the Jewish feast day of Pentecost when the believers there were baptized with the Holy Ghost.

To them, Israel will be restored, but Christ came in Matt-John to establish the church of today. They believe Peter and Paul taught the same gospel regarding Christ.

They would take all of the new testament scriptures as applicable to the church.

If a dispensationalist says Peter and Paul were sent to preach the same thing, they are an Acts 2 dispensationalist.

Acts 28 Dispensational

There is a much smaller group who we will identify as Acts 28 dispensationalists. They do no think the church of today fulfills any Old Testament prophecies.

They claim that the church of today did not begin until God revealed it to Paul, but it was not made known by Paul during his ministry before Acts 28.

To them, Jesus’ ministry was to Israel, Peter’s ministry was to Israel, and Paul’s ministry in the book of Acts was part of Israel’s program that included Gentiles. They teach that it was not until after the sign gifts and powers ceased (Acts 28) that Paul began to preach the mystery concerning the church.

They take Paul’s later epistles as solely applicable to the church today containing the new revelation of the mystery given to Paul presumably after Acts 28 (Ephesians, Colossians, Philippians, Philemon, Timothy, and Titus).

They teach that Paul’s early epistles do not include any mystery information about the church revealed in his later epistles and are not for the church today (Romans, Corinthians, Galatians, and Thessalonians).

If someone says that Paul was sent to preach two different messages, one was prophecy, one was mystery; they are Acts 28 dispensationalists (or a distorted variety of such).

Mid-Acts Dispensational

Mid-Acts dispensationalists teach that the church is not a fulfillment of either the old or new testaments.

We claim that the church of today began with Paul as he was first given the preaching of the cross to proclaim as the gospel, and the mystery of Christ and his church.

Paul was saved and began his ministry during the book of Acts. His gospel was always different than that of Jesus in his ministry to Israel (Matt-John), and Peter in Acts 2.

Paul was revealed a mystery from Christ, but it was early in his ministry, and he taught the same message of the gospel of Christ, the mystery of Christ, and the church throughout his ministry

The doctrine for the church today is found in all of Paul’s epistles, although there are times when Paul addresses and speaks to Israel, the little flock, and the unsaved.

If someone says Peter and Paul always taught different things, they are mid-Acts dispensationalists.

It matters what you believe about Paul and his ministry, even if you are dispensational.

This website is mid-Acts dispensational.

By Justin Johnson

A common accusation against mid-Acts dispensationalists is that we do not know when the dispensation of grace began.

This is simply not true[1].

Mid-Acts dispensationalists believe the dispensation of grace began with Paul. Paul was the starting point. Paul was not saved before Acts 9.

This is not arbitrary.

Paul explains that a dispensation is not an arbitrary period of time, but rather begins with a revelation dispensed from God.

“If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward: How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery…” – Ephesians 3:2-3

When was this grace first given to Paul? Answer: At his conversion.

“And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry; Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief. And the grace of our Lord was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.“ – 1 Timothy 1:12-14

It was at his conversion from blasphemer to minister of the Lord that God bestowed grace to him:

“…because of the grace that is given to me of God, That I should be the minister of Jesus Christ to the Gentiles” – Rom 15:15

“Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power.” – Eph 3:7

The calling of Paul to ministry is recorded as far back as Acts 9:15.

“[Paul] is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel” – Acts 9:15

Paul tells his own story of how it all began at least twice in the book of Acts, here before Agrippa:

“Whereupon as I went to Damascus [Acts 9]… And he said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest. But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee; Delivering thee from the people, and from the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee…” – Acts 26:12-17

Paul’s conversion whereby God gave him grace and apostleship is mentioned more times in Acts and the epistles than the popular Spirit outpouring at Pentecost in Acts 2.

Clearly God is calling attention to when he gave Paul grace and called him to minister to all men in Acts 9.

The beginning of the dispensation of the grace of God was when an undeserving sinner first received longsuffering and salvation from God freely apart from Israel and the law.

“This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief. Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.” – 1 Tim 1:15-16

The Lord Jesus Christ made Paul a pattern for those who would follow after in the gospel of the grace of God, and in the fellowship of the mystery.

We do not worship Paul, we recognize the Biblical emphasis upon the dispensation of God’s grace first given to Paul. This was not in the beginning of Acts at Pentecost, nor at the end, but in the middle when Christ first appeared to Paul.

———————————————
1 – Often critics are unaware of the differences between the mid-Acts and Acts 28 teachings, and lump them together as if there is extreme ambiguity in the mid-Acts position. The Acts 28 position is not mid-Acts dispensational, and should be treated separately. Some Acts 28ers have even preferred the nomenclature post-Acts.

How Do I Know I Am Saved?

By Justin Johnson

Let’s be honest. If you do not know that you are saved it is because you are not.

I am not trying to be cruel or mean, but simply honest. It would be the worst kind of negligence if I encouraged you to believe you were saved if actually you were not.

Unsaved people roam the earth thinking they are right with God, but are not. This reality may be driving your honest question about how to know if you are saved. This question is the greatest question one could ask, because the answer is understanding the gospel that saves.

Many people remain unconvinced about their own salvation because of a fear they have left something undone, did not say something right, are not worthy enough, or have not done the right thing to be accepted by God.

Perhaps this is you! You want to do right, and want to be saved, but do not know for certain how to know. What you need to know is the gospel of Christ.

Do You Know the Gospel?

At this point you may object because you claim to already know the gospel. But your question betrays you. The gospel that saves provides the knowledge of salvation. If you do not know you are saved, then you do not know the gospel that saves.
If you claim to know the gospel and still do not know if you are saved you have been told the wrong gospel. Perhaps you have been told salvation comes by…

– Believing Jesus is the Son of God
– Loving the Lord
– Following Jesus
– Keeping the commandments
– Loving your neighbor
– Praying the sinner’s prayer
– Repentance and confessing your sins
– Confessing the Lord with your mouth
– Asking Jesus to come into your heart
– Making him Lord of your life
– Maintaining a personal relationship with Jesus
– Naming the name of Christ
– Being filled with the Holy Spirit; or feeling his presence?

If so, you were told wrong. Your doubts testify to the inadequacy of any of these “gospels” to bring the knowledge of salvation. Have you loved the Lord enough? Don’t the devils also believe Jesus is the Son of God (Jam 2:19)? How do you know Jesus accepted your invitation into your heart? Is salvation really by uttering a name?

Though what you heard may have had an element of Biblical truth in them, you are still left wondering how you know you are saved even after knowing or believing these “gospels”. This is because they do not describe the gospel that saves.

Proof of Salvation
The Bible gives proof to every saved person to know they are saved: the gospel of Christ is the power of God unto salvation (Rom 1:16).

If we test your proof of salvation against the gospel of Christ we can know if you are saved or not. (I do not pretend to be the judge of your soul, but using God’s word to evaluate your salvation is prudent.)

So, what is the proof of your salvation?

If you say you have none, or that no one can know for certain, then you do not have salvation.

If you say proof is in the good way you live your life, then you have not heard the truth.

If you say proof is found in the promises of God to Israel, then you are taking what is not yours. God made promises to the nation of Israel, but there were many people in Israel who died in their sins at God’s hand of judgment and not salvation. How do you know you are part of the promises?

If you say proof is in what you have done or not done, said or not said, then you are not saved.

Without proof on what basis can you know that you are saved? There is none! Do you see now that you are not saved at all, and rather than needing to be convinced by Scripture that you are, you need to have the power of God unto salvation open your eyes to the truth of the gospel?

What is the Gospel that Saves
Now the question is seen in a new light. It is no longer the question of a saved person lacking confidence. It is the cry of an unsaved person lacking proof of salvation.

Sinners cannot save themselves or make themselves worthy enough for God to save them. Salvation is not for the righteous or the good, but for the unrighteous and the ungodly. The truth is that there is none righteous, and all have fallen short of God’s glorious standard.

Salvation of sinners is accomplished through the cross of the Lord Jesus Christ. God manifest in the flesh died innocently in the place of sinners shedding his blood as a sacrifice for sins. He rose from the dead three days later defeating the power of death and offering his finished work as the means of salvation to all men.

Salvation is not proven by our own efforts, but in the righteousness of God in Christ when he died for our sins, rose from the dead, and offers salvation freely to sinners who need it. Proof of salvation is found in the gospel of Christ. God was in Christ reconciling the world to himself by the cross.

“To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.” – Romans 3:25
We will be saved “if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead; Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.” – Romans 4:24-25

This is the gospel of Christ; it is the preaching of the cross. Christ is God, and he did everything necessary to save men through his death and resurrection. His work is the proof of salvation.

If his work is the proof of your salvation, then you have peace with God and eternal life. You are no longer trying to provide proof. God has provided it by his grace in Christ.

“Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ” – Romans 5:1
“…the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.” – Romans 6:23

How Do I Know?
I know that I am saved because Christ died for my sins, rose from the dead, and offers salvation freely to all who believe in him. I’ve seen him save other people who believe the gospel of Christ. He will save you, when you believe it (Eph 1:13; Rom 3:22).
Stop trusting your life, your prayers, your works, your good deeds, your feelings, trust the finished work of Christ and know that you are saved.

Top of the Page
Article Index
Published: June 13, 2015
Last Modified: August 22, 2016Related posts:

1. -Man Always Saved by God’s Grace 
    -Why Would Anyone Want to Be Saved? 
    -Use the Gospel to Explain Right Division 
    -How To Be Saved From Death To Life 
    -The Mystery of Salvation 
    -Faith in What? 
    -Now That I Am Saved By Grace, May I Sin?

Why Would Anyone Want to Be Saved?

By Justin Johnson

If Christianity makes a person as ignorant as is often portrayed, then why anyone would want to be saved is beyond my comprehension.

If salvation results in people becoming more superstitious, insecure, emotional, and circumstance driven, then it seems very unprofitable for our own well being and those around us.

If being saved meant more condemnation unless we abide to a list of do’s and don’ts, then it sounds like being saved would not be worth it.

If Christianity means spending countless hours studying an ancient book merely written by men, then there are a lot better things you can do with your time than to consider salvation.

If Christianity is just a cultural creation of some ancient Hebrews, then why would anyone want to be saved?

If there are many paths to the same God, even if you think that the same God is the God of the Bible, then why would anyone want to be saved?

If the gospel stops us from thinking and requires acceptance of blind faith, then why would anyone want to be saved?

If spiritual growth is no different than daily inspiration and improving yourself then why would anyone want to be saved when we’ve got Oprah?

If God were a god of bitterness, anger, injustice, cruelty, hate, and death, then let’s by all means be anti-god.
If God’s word did not accurately describe reality, then why would anyone want to be saved?

However…
If Bible believing Christianity is based on sound doctrine that can be understood, then it is reasonable.
If the Bible is truly God’s words, then it should be the most revered and cherished book in all history.
If the Bible creates more secure, well-informed, stable individuals, then it is exactly the medicine that is needed.

If Biblical Christianity is the true revelation of joy, hope, peace, and righteousness, then salvation in Christ is the only political campaign we should accept.

If God is a god of holiness, truth, righteousness, virtue, and every thing our politicians are not, then why wouldn’t we want to be saved and serve him?

If salvation is the start of the knowledge of the truth, then God was right that salvation is what this world needs most (1 Tim 2:4).
If “God has appointed a day in the which he will judge the world in righteousness” (Acts 13:31), then we all need to be saved from our unrighteousness.

Everyone Needs Salvation

If what most people see as Christianity is true, then why would anyone want to be saved. We need better representation. We need the right Bible rightly divided presented with the right heart.

There a lot of fakes and flukes that call themselves Christianity, but there is only one Biblical Christianity. It requires you rightly divide the word of truth. You need to find it out and be fully persuaded in your own mind (Rom 14:5).
Every reason not to be saved is a lie. Let God be true and every man a liar (Rom 3:4).

The truth is that there will be a day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to Paul’s gospel (Rom 2:16). Without salvation the world will perish. That Christ died for your sins, and resurrected from the dead so that he could freely give you grace, righteousness, and eternal life is the gospel that saves.

If you have trusted the power of God unto salvation, which is the gospel, then you have received the love of the truth and know why everyone should be saved in Christ.

Top of the Page
Article Index
Published: August 25, 2012
Last Modified: December 27, 2017
Related posts:
  1. -How Do I Know I Am Saved?
    -The Hypocrisy of the Unbeliever
    -Why Should God Accept You?
    -God is Always Right
    -Christ Did Not Need Faith
    -Man Always Saved by God’s Grace

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43

On 3/18/2018 at 9:33 PM, patrick jane said:

Would anyone that's viewing this thread give me some input on the font size? Is it better when larger like a some previous posts, or smaller like the lat post?

Font size is ok..  But you have flooded the thread instead of doing one post a day.. Most people do not bother to read a wall of text and many many links to more walls of text...

Just a bit of friendly advice .. Give them one bite at a time.. Avoid trying to ram it all down their throats to the point where they will choke and vomit it up and walk away..

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Adstar said:

Font size is ok..  But you have flooded the thread instead of doing one post a day.. Most people do not bother to read a wall of text and many many links to more walls of text...

Just a bit of friendly advice .. Give them one bite at a time.. Avoid trying to ram it all down their throats to the point where they will choke and vomit it up and walk away..

Thanks for the input and that's another reason it would help to see how many views a thread has, IMO. It's a bit of catch-22 because if I don't post, nobody will see the thread. When 3 or 4 posts are made and nobody is replying I can't tell if anybody is viewing the thread or not. I don't think the posts are that long and they're full of good teachings and scripture. The links are there if someone wants to click but nobody has to.

I think lately I've done two posts a day but it's usually only one. I'll cut back to one, maybe in the evening. Another weakness of mine is that sometimes I get excited when I read a lesson and in my zeal, I post too much. Sometimes I read several per day and follow some links to read more. I realize the average attention span of humans is now estimated at about 8 seconds, comparable to a goldfish. However, some folks like to read especially when it's good stuff. In fact, when I'm reading something good I lose track of the length or the "page of text".

• Thumbs Up 2

How to be saved from death to life -

By Justin Johnson -

The Bible speaks about things for which many people are searching. For example it tells us of the creation of the world; the cause of evil in the world; and man’s purpose of existence.

The Bible also speaks about the cause of death. It says, ‘Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned’ (Romans 5:12). The Bible tells the story of how the first man, Adam, was disobedient towards God and introduced sin and death into the world.

As a result there are two things we can be sure of in life, ‘it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment’ (Hebrews 9:27). Every person will die because of their sin, and then their every word, deed, and thought will be judged by God’s righteous standard.

How will the judgment turn out? Well, ‘‘to them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life: But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath, Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil” (Romans 2:8-9).

The evil will be punished for eternity with anguish and wrath, the righteous will be rewarded with eternal life. Yet, there is a problem: There is none that are righteous. We are all headed for eternal damnation in hell!

How can we make such a harsh and absolute statement? How can we know that we are not good enough to get into heaven? We can determine our fate on Judgment Day by using God’s standard of judgment.
Read ‘Am I good enough to go to heaven?

God’s Act of Salvation
This life is only for a moment, and yet our eternal destiny lies in the balance of what we do in this brief moment.
Will we continue to live, even seemingly good lives, knowing that we will still be found guilty by God? 

Or do we seek for salvation from the wrath to come and seek for the righteousness that can gain eternal life for us.
Because of God’s love towards us, and his unwillingness that we should face eternal damnation, He provided for us a way of salvation through Jesus Christ (John 14:6).

Knowing that we are all sinners, and that there are none righteous (Romans 3:10), God sent Jesus Christ to take your place on the cross (Romans 3:25). The wrath and judgment of God was poured out upon His perfect Son, who did not deserve death or punishment.

This righteous sacrifice was made sin for us so that we could gain his righteousness (2 Cor 5:21). Now we can receive righteousness apart from the law of God, which is the righteousness that comes by faith of Jesus Christ (Rom 3:21-22). Though we did not deserve any rescue from our own sinful condition, God showed his love for us by dying for our sins:

“But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.” – Romans 5:8

The gospel of God’s Grace
Grace is a gift received but not deserved. The Bible says that when we put our faith in what Christ did on the cross by His grace then we are saved from the wrath of God (Eph 2:8). We are justified [made righteous] freely by the redemption in Christ Jesus (Romans 3:24).

If we put our faith in the Lord Jesus and his propitiation on the cross, then we can stand before God on judgment day and know that Jesus has provided a complete payment of our sins. Therefore we are saved not by how well we act or perform, because we are all guilty of God’s righteous standard, instead we are saved by what Christ did and performed on our behalf (Eph 2:9, Titus 3:5).

“For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God” – Romans 3:23

Yet we have been graciously given an opportunity to participate in the glory of God through our trust in the gospel of Jesus Christ (Romans 1:16).
If you are not sure if you are going to heaven, reread this page, then determine in yourself how you will fare on judgment day. Will you be guilty when God judges you by his righteous standard? The Bible says we all have fallen short.

Are you saved from God’s wrath?
Do you see the need for salvation from sin and death? If so, then read the gospel of the grace of God on this page again or in your Bible in Romans 3:19-26, 

1 Corinthians 15:1-4, or Titus 3:3-7.

Do you trust and believe that Jesus Christ, God manifest in the flesh, is able to perform that which he promised for you, eternal life? Trust in him, as you would a life preserver on judgment day.
Your faith is rewarded by eternal life:

“For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. ” – Romans 6:23

The Bible says that if you have heard of the gospel of your salvation and you have trusted in Jesus Christ and his death and resurrection, then you have been given the Holy Spirit as a seal and a promise of what God will give you for eternity – which is life everlasting.

If you have trusted in the gospel, you may not feel like much of anything has changed. But know, by faith in the word of Truth, that you are now forever changed from a child of sin and disobedience to one of God’s children who will reign and rule with Him for eternity in heavenly places.
You are saved from the wrath of God, and have been given eternal life by the grace of God!

Top of the Page
Topical Index Page

Published: Sunday, September 20th, 2009
Last Modified: May 31, 2016Related posts:

1. -Now That I Am Saved By Grace, May I Sin? 
    -Does God Punish Sin After I’ve Been Saved By Grace? 
    -What Is Sin? 
    -God is Always Right 
    -Can We Lose Our Salvation By Grace? 
    -How Do I Know I Am Saved? 
    -Are There Many Ways To Salvation?
Edited by patrick jane

Why Should God Accept You?

By Justin Johnson

I am about to say something that at first will sound extremely hard, but will end up being very simple.
You can accept God, Jesus Christ as Lord, and the Bible as the word of God and not be saved.

Salvation is not a matter of you accepting Christianity, Christ, God, or the Bible. Salvation is given to those accepted by God. The difference is huge!

Who Must Be Accepted
You accept Christ? So, what does that have to do with your being accepted by Him? You can accept God, but why should He accept you? He is not trying to be accepted by you.

Is Christ standing in your judgment line, along with everything else you consider and evaluate to be worthy, holding his resume, and hoping that he is accepted by you?

Of course not! We are the ones standing in the judgment line of Christ. It is exactly backwards to think we must accept God, when really we need God to accept us!

The difference concerns who is the judge. Are you the judge of all things, or is God?
Our consumer driven culture has painted God as a divine politician campaigning for your vote. Political debates encourage us to decide who we deem worthy of high positions. Not so, with God. Truth is not a democracy.

God cannot be judged. The Lord Jesus Christ is not up for reelection. The Bible is not determined to be the word of God by majority vote.

The Lord is Not Trying to Be Accepted

The Lord is not trying to be accepted by anyone. The Saviour is not asking, “Is my salvation acceptable to you?” The Judge does not turn to the criminal and ask, “Do you accept my judgment?” The Truth does not beg the question, “Do you accept me to be true?”

Jesus Christ is Lord and Saviour and there is none else beside him. All men are destined to die, and we need Him to live. We need to be accepted by God. God does not count it a worthy thing to be accepted by you.

Never in the Bible does God beg men to accept him, but there are many times when men beg God to accept them.
They knew that God was the judge of all, and he must find them worthy if they are to receive righteousness, forgiveness, life, and the peace of salvation.

God is not up for reelection, we are. God is not the politician, we are the publicans begging for mercy (Luke 18:13). We have been given this mortal life, and our term will run out.

Are We Acceptable to God?
So, on what basis does God accept us?
If it is on the basis of our righteous behavior, wise choices, or love toward others, who of us could be worthy unless God grades us all on a curve? We may be esteemed among men, but would we be able to hold our own in the sight of God who knows all our secrets? Certainly not.

The Bible condemns all self-righteousness.

“There is none righteous, no, not one” – Romans 3:10
“by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight” – Romans 3:21
“all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God” – Romans 3:23

We must understand that we are totally unacceptable to God. We are all sinners and unworthy to be accepted by a perfectly righteous God. Even if you accept Him. He cannot accept you.

How Can God Accept Us?
Why should God be merciful and gracious to sinners? How can he be merciful to sinners?
The answer is revealed in the gospel of Jesus Christ, who shed his blood for our sins, and rose from the dead so that his righteousness could be imputed to all that believe.

When we trust in Christ’s righteous life, death, and resurrection on our behalf, then God accepts us not for our own sake, but for the sake of Jesus Christ who died for us (Rom 5:8).

While in God’s judgment line Christ lets us use his resume, his work, and his righteousness if we trust that He did it all for us.

“To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.” – Romans 3:26

Christ is the Judge. Christ is the Saviour. Christ is acceptable to God. We are not. Salvation must be in Christ.
When you face the Lord, it will not be a question of whether you have accepted him, but rather if he has accepted you.

The Lord is not trying to be accepted by you, and there is no way you can be accepted by God without Christ.
Trust Christ and his finished work of dying and resurrecting for your salvation, and you will be accepted in the one God loves: his only begotten Son.

“To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.” – Ephesians 1:6

Published: July 18, 2015
Last Modified: November 11, 2015Related posts:

1. -God is Always Right 
    -Does God Punish Sin After I’ve Been Saved By Grace? 
    -How Do I Know I Am Saved? 
    -Can We Lose Our Salvation By Grace? 
    -Am I Good Enough To Get To Heaven 
    -Did Paul Preach A Different Gospel?