• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  123
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/22/1988

Hi everyone! 

Can anyone please explain to me why we should or should not be an organ donor from a biblical perspective? Is it wrong? What does the Bible say about it? 

Thank you! 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,259
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

I don't like organ music, so if I had an organ, I would give it to the first person asking.
The bible says it's better to give than receive.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  301
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  07/11/1979

Organ donation is a supply and demand chain for giving and recieving "healthy" organs or parts of the body that function to keep the body alive.

If demand outweighs giving there is a shortage in the supply chain and shows evidence that sickness is overtaking health and vitality in a society or sickness is being rewarded at the cost of the healthy.

If you consider factors of mixing of kin, inbreeding, genetic markers being paired in small breeding populations, poor maintenance of our bodies (wrong diet/etcetc) all contibutes to sickness (inherited by our actions and genetically passed on) and that in most cases a life has been lost already to offer an organ.

It has been argued that this model of health maintains more sickness than it prevents. Time limitations of putting an older organ into a younger person or organs not being accepted could result in death so it is not reliable, also the organ recievers quality of life can also be regarded as a being critically poor. 

There are social implications where the rich can screen whole populations for matches and approach them, as is poorer people not recieving even basic health care putting them low on any list as a reciever of a organ.

Most organs are taken from a deceased person which upon death becomes ritually unclean or of impurity to touch (num 19:11).

Love thy neighbor is a compelling argument for being a doner so I would need to study the bible more for a more definate answer though.

Edited by Dan_79
  • This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  956
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,616
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hey why fix a car, is it Biblical to do so?

Parts is parts use them as needed.

I can think of no greater gift to a needy person  than sight with which to see God's creation and to read His word, and  lungs to breath with, or a  liver to filter blood or even a heart or kidney. Why cadeavors make real comfortable living possible again for some women that have had radical breast removal surgery, the rolled up skin of cadeavors being used in the process.

It is just a mechanical thing. Don't make too much of it just  give thanks to God for the ability to do so. 

Why today whole faces can be placed upon horribly  disfigured individuals. Amazing, again give thanks to God for such an awesome possibility.

A relative spent 30 years of his life working on titanium to create titanium mesh, along with his fellow inventor partner surgeon. Their efforts resulted in many a Vietnam casualty getting a new jaw, a new face, and a new lease on life. Today the basics of that beginning make eye sockets, skulls, and all sorts of parts for bodies possible. Why not use the natural pieces as well when possible?

• Thumbs Up 4

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  956
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,616
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

double post

3 hours ago, Abby-Joy said:

You make some great points. 

Also, when one receives donor organs or even blood, there are spiritual aspects that most overlook. Sins, generational curses, etc....

Many have experienced personality changes as well as changes in likes and dislikes. Another that many don't talk about is the fact that memories are stored in every cell of the body. So the recipient could experience reliving or having flashes of the memories of the deceased person they receiced an organ from. (This is the same reason scientists are interested in cloning...)  

You got me thinking now!

What if a child of Israel was to recieve the heart of an Edomite?

And then I remembered this:

Mathew 5:30 

I know some people will not like me for saying this: but the outcomes or consequences can sometimes far outweigh the warnings.

Some people are purely driven by emotion only, so when the media shows a little innocent girl needing say a heart or lungs transplant etc and creates a massive campaign/ charity to find her a doner, that is all they see. Who could possibly go against helping this poor little girl? That is the cause...

On the reverse side of the same coin we have a different effect to the same cause. We had the example of people who in knowledge of a few of these cases being successful began to let their guard down.

When a famous ex man utd player needed a new liver. He had abused his body his entire life, it was the reason for him needing a new liver as he began to experience jaundice which was a symptom of liver failure.

He was a national treasure in the sports world and was given a second chance and was given a new liver that his body successfully accepted.

He continued to live from where he left off and died that way.

He abused this gift of new life and due to his status over shadowed possibly numerous adults on the same waiting list as he was on, that seemed to be left out of the dialogue. No one thought he would go back to being his old self....who would if faced with a similar life threatening situation?

The key here in this case was the new liver was not enough to nor could ever stop what the heart really desired.

Edited by Dan_79
  • This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,220
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

I think the Lord said we are to control our thoughts and imagination

2 Cor 10:5
5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
KJV
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  686
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  0

13 hours ago, Chi said:

What does the Bible say about it? 

The bible says nothing about it, but we're all going to die unless Jesus comes back first, so why not save someone's life in the process.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,822
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

14 hours ago, Chi said:

Hi everyone! 

Can anyone please explain to me why we should or should not be an organ donor from a biblical perspective? Is it wrong? What does the Bible say about it? 

Thank you! 

The Bible doesn't speak to organ donation.  One can only look at scriptures about the body and about life and make moral inference.

• Jesus said that greater love cannot be found among humanity than to lay down their life for a friend.  He was talking about his whole body to die for the sins of man.  But I think we can extrapolate from that that organ donation that will save a life is permissible.

• Jesus also said that if your hand or eye is causing to sin, then cut it off or pluck it out.  He said it's better to go to heaven missing those parts than to go to hell whole.  He was speaking metaphorically of course - please, no one literally cut your hand off.  But again, for me, I take it that our physical bodies are MUCH greater than the sum of their parts or organs.  We aren't just a bunch of tissue in a bag of skin. Some claim that we have to go to heaven "whole".  What about those who are born missing an arm or kidney?  What about those who killed and eaten by sharks or lions have no body and are now just lumps of shark and lion poop?  I see nowhere in the Bible where our bodies much go to heaven intact.  In fact, they can't.  Even Lazarus who was only dead for four days was already decomposing so that his body stank.

• Paul said that upon the resurrection of the dead in Christ and those Christians who are alive when that happens that in an "instant" we - both dead and living Christians - will be changed.  Our bodies will change he says from corruptible and perishable to INcorruptible and IMperishable.  No more sickness, broken bones, diseased organs, or death.  We won't have the livers and kidneys and sinuses and toes we have now - what we will have may resemble that.  Jesus' gloried body resembled him.  We will have new bodies.

Organ donation cannot produce memories of the donor inside the recipient.  Nor if a saved person received the heart of a lost person would that affect the salvation of the saved person.  There are a lot of movies out there that show the fantasy of scientific and medical principals....but don't take your truth from anything accept actually fact.

Organ donation is no sin.  It saves countless lives.

Edited by Jayne
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, enoob57 said:

I think the Lord said we are to control our thoughts and imagination

2 Cor 10:5
5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
KJV

Yes. We are!

Our Lord will search our hearts also.

Jeremiah 17:10

Alot of this organ donation rests upon "consent" and if the WHO are to be believed it is an international business now. The poor feel extended to sell their body parts for financial gain and there is organ traffiking which exploits areas where there are to be expected war casualties which is manufactured consent.

If you or I was ill and dying and refused to accept an organ to save our own lives are we giving someone the oportunity to recieve the organ we could of taken for ourselves?

Edited by Dan_79