IGNORED

Do we have to do good works to be saved ?

Wayne222

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,533
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, Riccardo said:

I think you have miss understood my meaning. I'm still a little unsure what you mean by the faith that doesn't save.

Ok, let me simplify. Did Peter lack saving faith or did he lack faith in general on that specific day?

Matt 14:29-33 “Come,” he said. Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 30But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!” 31Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?” 32And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. 33Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.”

Luke 22:60-62 Peter replied, “Man, I don’t know what you’re talking about!” Just as he was speaking, the rooster crowed. 61The Lord turned and looked straight at Peter. Then Peter remembered the word the Lord had spoken to him: “Before the rooster crows today, you will disown me three times.” 62And he went outside and wept bitterly.

• Group:  Seventh Day Adventist
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  281
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0

On 5/2/2018 at 7:18 AM, Gary Lee said:

Hi Mike. I have always wondered should I ask forgiveness for my sins, when all my sins, past, present. and future have already been forgiven

Hi Gary, it may just be a blooper, but you have just said that all you future sins are forgiven? Have I plucked this out of context?

The bible talks about people's names being blotted out of the book of life. Therefore their sins must not have been forgiven you would have to say.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,251
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

Edited by Gary Lee

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,251
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

5 hours ago, Riccardo said:

Hi Gary, it may just be a blooper, but you have just said that all you future sins are forgiven? Have I plucked this out of context?

The bible talks about people's names being blotted out of the book of life. Therefore their sins must not have been forgiven you would have to say.

Hi Riccardo. No blooper. I'm saved. Sealed. (2Co_1:22  Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts) Born from above. Covered by the blood. As a believer, I know my Savior will never leave me, never forsake me (Heb_13:5 ) My trust, my hope, is not in my ability, my goodness, my determination, no matter how great. But in God's word, (2Ti_1:12  For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.) Not my works. But His promise, the word (2Pe_3:9  The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is long suffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.)
I confess all sin. No matter how small. God tells me to do this. This puts truth into my heart. (to remember) That I might not sin against Him. I'm doing what I'm told, (as strengthened by the Spirit), and God is Light, and will keep His promises. (
Eph 4:30  And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption)
You say;
'The bible talks about people's names being blotted out of the book of life'.
Men debate this blotting out in Revelation and how it applies to believers. I, not a scholar, defer to their wisdom. They do not agree. But, I do know the simple scriptures given by God, promises, and as His child now, know nothing can pluck me out of His hands. Cool. I do have a reckless confidence in HIS word. My choice.

God is Light!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,853
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  3

8 hours ago, Riccardo said:

We are under the blood, our sins are not held against us. 

If we decide to grow in the Lord and want to live under the shadow of the all mighty , whether we have achive this or it is during our growth, we considered to be in the book of LIFE, we are seeking Jesus and desire the guidance of the Holy Spirit. 

But if we want as believers to live on our own and we regect his guidance and we live on our own terms, 

Then we are the people whose names are written in the book of the believers who are saved but they live their lives, in the world, with the passions of this world, not welcoming the guidance of the Holy Spirit. 

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1,915
  • Content Per Day:  0.80

11 hours ago, Gary Lee said:

Hi Mike. Thanks for the heads up, on the Lord's prayer. I use the word debts and debtors instead of trespasses(sin). Assume it is the same? 
Mat 6:12  And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.

You say; 'Let me ask how often do we sin. Do you think once a day , once a week, once a month, once a year'.

Just to be honest, more like 'once or more  an hour' By that I mean, I see myself throughout the day constantly confessing something as sin.  A response that could have been much nicer, a thought that was in anger or lust or desire. Pride creeping in. Vain imaginations (:  I try to catch it before it becomes a sin, but I agree with God that it is a sin, in it's infancy, and say I choose not to sin(I see the mark/target set by God and confirmed by the word hidden in my heart). Throughout the day, I try to be more 'God aware' and am simply confessing my thoughts and actions that need to be improved. Most would say that is not sin. I say "sin is missing the mark or standard by which God would have me meet" I may barely miss it, but a miss is a miss. I simply say, 'that's sin' and move on. I don't get into morbid introspection. I confessed it as God says to do. An archer that hits the target hits the mark. If he only misses by a fraction, he misses the mark. I hold myself to the same standard. A miss is a miss, even just a tiny fraction. And I agree with God. People say that unintentional sins are not sin. An archer does not intentionally miss the mark, (: but when he does miss it, unintentionally of course, it's still a miss. (sin) Would like to hang out with one of those posters who claim going days or weeks or months without sinning (missing the mark, even a tiny miss) Do they think God does not know their thoughts? 

You ask;  How often should go to he Lord to as for forgiveness of our sins. 
I do not ask forgiveness for sins already forgiven. But as to how many times do I go to the Lord to confess sins? 

EVERY TIME! All day. I agree with God. I am Not without sin.

Remember the dude saying "BE merciful to me a sinner" and what the Lord said about the other self righteous one?

Thanks Gary for your reply. As I read I realized it's all about recognizing God for who he is and recognizing our need for humility. A proud man does not believe he is a sinner or that he needs God. 

Oh Reached man that I am who shall deliver me from this body of death. 

if a man says he is with out sin he is a lire and the truth is no in him. But if we confess our sins He is just to forgive us our sins.  I John 9

God bless 

• Brilliant! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  1,533
  • Content Per Day:  0.56

11 hours ago, Riccardo said:

but you have just said that all you future sins are forgiven? Have I plucked this out of context?

Rom 8:35, 38-39 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? 38For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Edited by Heb 13:8
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  194
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

On 5/2/2018 at 5:08 AM, KiwiChristian said:

Of course not.

Titus 3:5-7 "Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life."

"a man is not justified by the works of the Law but through faith in Christ Jesus" (Gal.2:16)

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."

We do good works BECAUSE we are saved, not in order to BECOME saved.

Ammmmm, I don't think POSTER was addressing Protestants, who have their OWN idea's on what it takes to "be saved."

Are YOU aware friend of the infallible RULE for RIGHT understanding of the Bible?  Permit me to share it with you [caps for emphasis BUT NOT shouting.]

NEVER EVER, CAN, MAY OR DOES

ONE VERSE, PASSAGE OR TEACHING

HAVE THE POWER OR AUTHORITY

TO INVALIDATE, OVERRIDE, OR MAKE VOID

ANOTHER VERSE, PASSAGE OR TEACHING

BECAUSE IF SUCH WERE EVEN THE SLIGHTEST POSSIBILITY IT WOULD RENDER THE ENTIRE BIBLE AS BEING WORTHLESS TO TEACH OR LEARN THE FAITH OF JESUS CHRIST.

James 2: 13-26

[13]For judgment without mercy to him that hath not done mercy. And mercy exalteth itself above judgment. [14] What shall it profit, my brethren, if a man say he hath faith, but hath not works? Shall faith be able to save him? [15] And if a brother or sister be naked, and want daily food:

[16] And one of you say to them: Go in peace, be ye warmed and filled; yet give them not those things that are necessary for the body, what shall it profit? [17] So faith also, if it have not works, is dead in itself. [18] But some man will say: Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without works; and I will shew thee, by works, my faith. [19] Thou believest that there is one God. Thou dost well: the devils also believe and tremble. [20] But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

[21] Was not Abraham our father justified by works, offering up Isaac his son upon the altar? [22] Seest thou, that faith did co-operate with his works; and by works faith was made perfect? [23] And the scripture was fulfilled, saying: Abraham believed God, and it was reputed to him to justice, and he was called the friend of God. [24] Do you see that by works a man is justified; and not by faith only? [25]And in like manner also Rahab the harlot, was not she justified by works, receiving the messengers, and sending them out another way?

[26] For even as the body without the spirit is dead; so also faith without works is dead."

Friend, as a lifelong Catholic and a trained Apologetic's teacher; BE ASSURED that we Catholics Do understand that we cannot WORK our way into heaven. HOWEVER, we also know that works = CHARITY; and that without Love; without Charity; ANYONE's odds of attaining Heaven are GREATLY diminished.  THAT my friend is the Catholic understanding of "Works."

Easter Blessings,

Patrick

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  7,853
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  3

2 hours ago, Patrick Miron said:

Ammmmm, I don't think POSTER was addressing Protestants, who have their OWN idea's on what it takes to "be saved."

Are YOU aware friend of the infallible RULE for RIGHT understanding of the Bible?  Permit me to share it with you [caps for emphasis BUT NOT shouting.]

NEVER EVER, CAN, MAY OR DOES

ONE VERSE, PASSAGE OR TEACHING

HAVE THE POWER OR AUTHORITY

TO INVALIDATE, OVERRIDE, OR MAKE VOID

ANOTHER VERSE, PASSAGE OR TEACHING

BECAUSE IF SUCH WERE EVEN THE SLIGHTEST POSSIBILITY IT WOULD RENDER THE ENTIRE BIBLE AS BEING WORTHLESS TO TEACH OR LEARN THE FAITH OF JESUS CHRIST.

James 2: 13-26

[13]For judgment without mercy to him that hath not done mercy. And mercy exalteth itself above judgment. [14] What shall it profit, my brethren, if a man say he hath faith, but hath not works? Shall faith be able to save him? [15] And if a brother or sister be naked, and want daily food:

[16] And one of you say to them: Go in peace, be ye warmed and filled; yet give them not those things that are necessary for the body, what shall it profit? [17] So faith also, if it have not works, is dead in itself. [18] But some man will say: Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without works; and I will shew thee, by works, my faith. [19] Thou believest that there is one God. Thou dost well: the devils also believe and tremble. [20] But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

[21] Was not Abraham our father justified by works, offering up Isaac his son upon the altar? [22] Seest thou, that faith did co-operate with his works; and by works faith was made perfect? [23] And the scripture was fulfilled, saying: Abraham believed God, and it was reputed to him to justice, and he was called the friend of God. [24] Do you see that by works a man is justified; and not by faith only? [25]And in like manner also Rahab the harlot, was not she justified by works, receiving the messengers, and sending them out another way?

[26] For even as the body without the spirit is dead; so also faith without works is dead."

Friend, as a lifelong Catholic and a trained Apologetic's teacher; BE ASSURED that we Catholics Do understand that we cannot WORK our way into heaven. HOWEVER, we also know that works = CHARITY; and that without Love; without Charity; ANYONE's odds of attaining Heaven are GREATLY diminished.  THAT my friend is the Catholic understanding of "Works."

Easter Blessings,

Patrick

Not all Catholics are like you, 

Saying that this is the Catholic understanding of the faith, it includes many borderline forms of Idolatry within the Catholic groups. 

Some other Catholics will never make the statement that without works of Charity you cannot be saved. 

That's too heavy, you know what redemption means by the blood of JESUS CHRIST, he payed the price. 

And there is the redemption that comes with good works of charity. But not to substitute the Atonement of Jesus CHRIST. 

You can atone for your sin against another person, but you cannot atone something you already have by faith in Jesus Christ, whether you understand this or not.

Edited by Your closest friendnt

• Group:  Seventh Day Adventist
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  281
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

18 hours ago, Heb 13:8 said:

Rom 8:35, 38-39 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? 38For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

The love of Christ is a completely separate issue, to people sin being forgiven. Was Judas sins forgiven to the point of salvation? does Christ still love him absolutely.

How are some peoples names removed from the book of life?