Sign in to follow this  
omharris

What about Jacob? Or, Can a man find healing in a woman? Part three

I introduced a section within my first post in this series, as one of the most unbelievable scenarios you could read. In that section you have Rebekah and Jacob pulling off the deception of a lifetime, as Isaac is tricked into believing that Jacob was Esau merely by strapping a piece of sheepskin on Jacob's arm. I have to ask, have you ever seen sheep? They exceed the hair of man about 100 to one.

While most would have run for their lives but not Jacob; and, I cannot give you any good reason why? As you see in Genesis 28:6-7, Isaac, after the deception, has instructed Jacob not to take a wife from the daughters of Canaan. After hearing this Jacob leaves toward Haran in order to comply and his mother goes with him. What just happened?

Watch what Esau does.

Genesis 28:6-7 NASB Now Esau saw that Isaac had blessed Jacob and sent him away to Paddan-aram to take to himself a wife from there, and that when he blessed him he charged him, saying, "You shall not take a wife from the daughters of Canaan," 7) and that Jacob had obeyed his father and his mother and had gone to Paddan-aram.

This is the first time I noticed this aspect of the story. Note how it says, “and that Jacob had obeyed his father and his mother and had gone to Paddan-aram.” When you think about the reality of the situation and how furious Isaac should have been at Rebekah, then it makes all the sense in the world for her to with Jacob. Besides that, she may need to make the introductions and marriage arrangements for this favorite of sons.

Esau, on the other hand, seeing how irritated his mother became about the women he married, (This is the same mother who deceived Isaac his father, and helped to cheat him out of his rightful inheritance,) went out and found himself a few more.

Genesis 28:8-9 NASB So Esau saw that the daughters of Canaan displeased his father Isaac; 9) and Esau went to Ishmael, and married, besides the wives that he had, Mahalath the daughter of Ishmael, Abraham's son, the sister of Nebaioth.

This next section focuses entirely on a dream that Jacob had.

Indeed, it was a very vivid dream, in a manner similar to the dream that Abram had, it was as close to reality as you can come. You have to wonder how much understanding Jacob had about God, or where he got that understanding. The only thing we see is Isaac praying to the Lord in chapter 25. Isaac, being the son of Abraham, I can understand how and where he learned of the Lord, but the apparent influence on Jacob is not seen.

Genesis 25:21-23 NASB Isaac prayed to the LORD on behalf of his wife, because she was barren; and the LORD answered him and Rebekah his wife conceived. 22) But the children struggled together within her; and she said, "If it is so, why then am I this way?" So she went to inquire of the LORD. 23) The LORD said to her, "Two nations are in your womb; And two peoples will be separated from your body; And one people shall be stronger than the other; And the older shall serve the younger."

Jacob's Dream - Genesis 28:10-22

But first Jacob has to kneel before his father, apparently at his father's demand.

Genesis 28:1 NASB So Isaac called Jacob and blessed him and charged him, and said to him, "You shall not take a wife from the daughters of Canaan.

This is the second time Jacob has been blessed, however, Isaac is well aware of the deceitful methods that were used on him. Without going any farther, I already see a prime example of the nature and character of God, as Isaac overlooks the “sin” and bestows a purposeful blessing upon Jacob.

Blessed is the Hebrew word bāraḵ: A verb meaning to bless, kneel, salute, or greet. The verb derives from the noun knee and perhaps suggests the bending of the knee in blessing.

• Would we expect to see Isaac kneeling before Jacob at this point?

Not a chance, so it is Jacob, this time with intention, kneeling before his father.

• Do you think it is possible that Isaac could bring some punishment upon this son?

No, and again, this is an example of God's grace, as we too, caught in our sins, deserved punishment, but what happened? The Son Jesus took all punishment on our behalf.

I am well aware that I have no key character, in this scenario, that takes the punishment for Jacob. What I do see, is Jacob suffering abuse, at not only the hand of Laban but his own sons when we get to them.

Pay attention to what Isaac tells Jacob.

Perspective: The flood has come and gone, and, with it, should have been the giants and the evil and violence that were associated not just with them, but people in general. And, secondly, this has taken place before Moses and prior to the law.

• Is that what happened?

Not exactly, for men still had the right to choose how they would live, and the giants returned. Genesis 6:4 tells us that afterward, they showed up again. After what? The flood.

The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men, and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown.” Genesis 6:4 NASB

Two pieces of evidence for giants after the flood comes from Numbers 13:33 and 2Samuel 21:16, both of which speak of giants still permeating the land. Canaan was one of those places and we learn of it when Israel sent 12 men to spy out the Land of Canaan.

You shall not take a wife from the daughters of Canaan.”

Do a word search and the first place Canaan shows up is in Genesis 9.

Genesis 9:18-27 NASB Now the sons of Noah who came out of the ark were Shem and Ham and Japheth; and Ham was the father of Canaan. 19) These three were the sons of Noah, and from these the whole earth was populated. 20) Then Noah began farming and planted a vineyard. 21) He drank of the wine and became drunk, and uncovered himself inside his tent. 22) Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father, and told his two brothers outside. 23) But Shem and Japheth took a garment and laid it upon both their shoulders and walked backward and covered the nakedness of their father; and their faces were turned away, so that they did not see their father's nakedness. 24) When Noah awoke from his wine, he knew what his youngest son had done to him. 25) So he said, "Cursed be Canaan; A servant of servants He shall be to his brothers." 26) He also said, "Blessed be the LORD, The God of Shem; And let Canaan be his servant. 27) "May God enlarge Japheth, And let him dwell in the tents of Shem; And let Canaan be his servant."

Notice how Canaan is pointed out as the son of Ham; this is not a favorable distinction.

Genesis 28:2 NASB "Arise, go to Paddan-aram, to the house of Bethuel your mother's father; and from there take to yourself a wife from the daughters of Laban your mother's brother.

The town of Bethuel gained it's origins in a man, as was the case with every city.

Genesis 22:20-23 NASB Now it came about after these things, that it was told Abraham, saying, "Behold, Milcah also has borne children to your brother Nahor: 21) Uz his firstborn and Buz his brother and Kemuel the father of Aram 22) and Chesed and Hazo and Pildash and Jidlaph and Bethuel." 23) Bethuel became the father of Rebekah; these eight Milcah bore to Nahor, Abraham's brother.

So here is your ancestry moment, It was told, Abraham:

• Milcah also has borne children to your brother Nahor

• Uz his firstborn and Buz his brother and Kemuel the father of Aram 22) and Chesed and Hazo and Pildash and Jidlaph and Bethuel."

Kemuel produces a son Aram. Note the similarities to Paddan-aram!

• The son to be born to Nahor is Bethuel.

• Bethuel became the father of Rebekah

Rebekah is the wife of Isaac, the mother of Esau and Jacob. This also means that Bethuel became the father of Laban.

Jacob, still kneeling before his father Isaac, receives all these instructions and blessings; as though what he stole was not enough.

Genesis 28:3-5 NASB "May God Almighty bless you and make you fruitful and multiply you, that you may become a company of peoples. 4) "May He also give you the blessing of Abraham, to you and to your descendants with you, that you may possess the land of your sojournings, which God gave to Abraham." 5) Then Isaac sent Jacob away, and he went to Paddan-aram to Laban, son of Bethuel the Aramean, the brother of Rebekah, the mother of Jacob and Esau.

• May God Almighty bless you and make you fruitful and multiply you, that you may become a company of peoples.”

• May He also give you the blessing of Abraham, to you and to your descendants with you, that you may possess the land of your sojournings, which God gave to Abraham.

What were the blessings of Abraham?

Genesis 12:1-3 NASB Now the LORD said to Abram, "Go forth from your country, And from your relatives And from your father's house, To the land which I will show you; 2) And I will make you a great nation, And I will bless you, And make your name great; And so you shall be a blessing; 3) And I will bless those who bless you, And the one who curses you I will curse. And in you all the families of the earth will be blessed."

Genesis 17:6-8 NASB "I will make you exceedingly fruitful, and I will make nations of you, and kings will come forth from you. 7) "I will establish My covenant between Me and you and your descendants after you throughout their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and to your descendants after you. 8) "I will give to you and to your descendants after you, the land of your sojournings, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession; and I will be their God."

•  
    • I will make you a great nation

• I will bless you

• and make your name great

• I will bless those that bless you, and the one who curses you I will curse.

• In you, all the families of the earth will be blessed.

• I will make you exceedingly fruitful

• and I will make nations of you

• kings will come forth from you

• I will establish my covenant between Me and you and your descendants after you … for an everlasting covenant.

• Be a God to you and to your descendants.

• And, I will give you and your descendants … all the land of Canaan for an everlasting possession.

So, tell me, is this what you say to someone who has just deceived you? And yet, this is exactly what Isaac just did. “May He also give you the blessing of Abraham, to you and to your descendants with you, that you may possess the land of your sojournings, which God gave to Abraham.”

Genesis 28:10-11 NASB Then Jacob departed from Beersheba and went toward Haran. 11) He came to a certain place and spent the night there because the sun had set; and he took one of the stones of the place and put it under his head, and lay down in that place.

Haran, isn't that the place where Abram was and God told him to go to a land that He would show him? Yes, it is. But it is also the place where so many things will take place, and now Jacob is going there to find himself a wife. Fortunately, Jacob has his mommy with him to make the introductions; although we are not told that, it works for the moment.

Genesis 11:26-31 NASB Terah lived seventy years, and became the father of Abram, Nahor and Haran. 27) Now these are the records of the generations of Terah. Terah became the father of Abram, Nahor and Haran; and Haran became the father of Lot. 28) Haran died in the presence of his father Terah in the land of his birth, in Ur of the Chaldeans. 29) Abram and Nahor took wives for themselves. The name of Abram's wife was Sarai; and the name of Nahor's wife was Milcah, the daughter of Haran, the father of Milcah and Iscah. 30) Sarai was barren; she had no child. 31) Terah took Abram his son, and Lot the son of Haran, his grandson, and Sarai his daughter-in-law, his son Abram's wife; and they went out together from Ur of the Chaldeans in order to enter the land of Canaan; and they went as far as Haran, and settled there.

Note this: “Terah took Abram his son, and Lot the son of Haran, his grandson, and Sarai his daughter-in-law, his son Abram's wife; and they went out together from Ur of the Chaldeans in order to enter the land of Canaan; and they went as far as Haran, and settled there.

It seems God has His hands in everything, doesn't it?

• He came to a certain place and spent the night there because the sun had set;”

Genesis 28:19 NASB He called the name of that place Bethel; however, previously the name of the city had been Luz.

• And he took one of the stones of the place and put it under his head, and lay down in that place.”

Genesis 28:18-22 NASB So Jacob rose early in the morning, and took the stone that he had put under his head and set it up as a pillar and poured oil on its top. 19) He called the name of that place Bethel; however, previously the name of the city had been Luz. 20) Then Jacob made a vow, saying, "If God will be with me and will keep me on this journey that I take, and will give me food to eat and garments to wear, 21) and I return to my father's house in safety, then the LORD will be my God. 22) "This stone, which I have set up as a pillar, will be God's house, and of all that You give me I will surely give a tenth to You."

God's house? This statement is immensely significant, and so is this, “and of all that You give me I will surely give a tenth to You.”

Without any motivation of “law,” Jacob has made a commitment to tithe.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Abdicate
      Everywhere I turn I see a need for healing. Yet, when the word of God is presented, people get greatly offended, Matthew 11:6. There is a cause and effect for just about everything, Deuteronomy 28(!). When we sin and don’t repent of it, it will manifest itself physically over time, James 1:15. Hidden sin eats away at the person. For example hatred for another, cancer, bitterness, arthritis, anxiety (lack of peace) heart disease. This is the issue, dis-ease, i.e. not at peace. We’ve all been there. This is why James says to believe and confess, James 5:15-16. Believe what? All God’s promises are “Yes” and “Amen” (Greek and Hebrew), 2 Corinthians 1:20. Confess what? Our sins, 1 John 1:9. First, we MUST MUST MUST understand Who God is. He is love, 1 John 4:8. Evil doesn't befall us because of Him, but because of our actions and stupidity, Deuteronomy 28. We are under His protection when we obey Him, Psalms 91.
      The issue is the belief, not so much confession, but that’s equally as important. To believe something is to have a strong conviction about the subject. If I say “The sun will NOT rise tomorrow.” How many would have a strong conviction that my statement is true? No one. Yet, the word of God says someday it won’t, Isaiah 24:19-20. We live in a fallen world and all the information we gather is based on that fact. The truth is in the word of God which says we live in the shadow of the real, Hebrews 8:4; Colossians 2:7; 1 Corinthians 13:12. What is the real? The things not seen, the invisible, not the unknown, Hebrews 11:1
      So, to quote Pilot, “What is truth?” John 18:38. Jesus and the word of God with the help of the Holy Spirit, John 16:13; 1 John 2:27. This question is linked to “What is faith?” Faith isn’t blind, Isaiah 1:18-20. The word faith doesn’t show up in the Hebrew Scriptures because it means actually “trust,” Habakkuk 2:4. In the Greek, it means to have a “strong conviction.”
      Immovable Faith is:
                     • Faith is NOT blind
                     • Faith is NOT taking a leap into the unknown
                     • Faith has to do with the invisible not the unknown
                                    ○ Faith is seeing you pay your bills on time
                                    ○ Faith is seeing yourself healthy
                                    ○ Faith is seeing yourself full of energy at the end of the day
      Faith is a strong conviction that the things we do not see (health and peace) are there, we just need to take it, Matthew 11:12; Isaiah 53:5, 1 Peter 2:24. Faith is built up like anything else, Romans 10:17. If we are to be good a mathematics, we must work out the problems. The more we do the better we get. To run a marathon, we must build up our stamina, Romans 1:17. The issue with Christians is they want microwave Christianity. We find out we're sick and we want instant healing. If we have the faith, it’ll happen, if not, we need to build up that faith. To build up our faith is by hearing the word of God, Romans 10:17.
      Every coach and motivational speaker has the proper understanding – see in our mind’s eye of being healthy. This isn’t easy believism, it’s changing our mind to execute what we believe based on the promises of God, Philippians 4:8-10. Imaging it helps us solidify the truth, Proverbs 23:7; Genesis 6:5. While the world says “Seeing is believing” in the scriptures is “believing is seeing.” If this were not so, the placebo effect would not be real. If you believe, you can change. This is based on the scriptures I’ve already posted above. But it’s also a choice. If we cannot get over the world view, we’ll never take by force the spiritual.
      Miracles are not for the perfect, but for the believing, Matthew 9:29. Hope is confident expectation of good. If we maintain hope of being healed, we create the capacity to see the evidence that it's possible, Romans 5:2-5. If we confidently expect to prosper, our mind will begin to work in such a way that we will begin to see the evidence that it is indeed possible. But if we think we're going to fail, then we'll see all the evidence pointing to failing. The evidence is there that we're going to succeed, and the evidence is there that we're going to fail. Literally, the tongue holds life or death for the path we choose, Proverbs 18:21; 1 Peter 3:10. It is just that simple. Believe the evidence based on the word of God and the finished work of Jesus or not. Our choice is whichever evidence we recognize for the outcome we expect. It's not that the "other" evidence isn't there. If we're not alive to the evidence for sickness, then sickness withers up and dies. If we're not alive to destructive things they eventually become unrecognizable in our environment. It's not that they don't go away if just that they're not going to have an effect on us.
      Remember something else about faith. Doubt is not the absence of faith. Doubt is the persuasion and deep belief in the evidence that is contrary to faith. Our problem isn't we don't have enough faith, our problem is our attention is on the evidence that proves it's not going to happen. When we have our attention on the evidence that says "I'm never going to get out of this," that's what doubt is. Faith is when we have our eyes on the evidence that says "I'm coming out of this!" This is how one becomes fully persuaded like Abraham, Romans 4:20-22.
      Finally, faith is not blind. We need to gather evidence of things. The greatest misconception is "Just take it by faith - blindly". Isaiah says "Come let us reason together" which is what God wants to do and why we have 66 books in the scriptures written by 40 penmen over thousands of years. It's to prove God's work through His promises. When people say "take it by faith" they're saying "just take it without evidence." If God says we can reason (to prove, decide, judge, rebuke, reprove, correct, be right) about our salvation, we can reason about everything else - get the evidence.  Faith is not blind. Faith is based on very specific evidence.
      At Creation, God knew what He wanted and decided the outcome before He spoke anything. The process is understanding the desired outcome in your mind's eye, believing it in your heart and then speaking it into existence. We're made in God's image, and whatever we imagine, all things, if we believe, and ask for, it shall be given.
      Matthew 21:22
      And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.
      Romans 8:31-32
      What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us? He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?
      The choice is ours to believe or not. Period. Any ifs, thans, or buts, are just us not believing the plainly written word of God, Galatians 3:7; 3:26; Hebrews 11.

• By Faithful_heart
      I was just wondering about something. My husband told me I was his third love. As it should be Jesus is number 1 (but life has caused him to slip up) His mom is number 2 and I'm number 3. It bothers me because I thought we were supposed to put each other above others but and live in a way that God was at the center of our relationship and our lives. I still a little tired when he told me this but now my mind has enough time to pick it apart. I don't know maybe I'm over thinking this. Lately, if I evenly slightly disagree with something I just let it be because I don't know how to approach it or don't to seem disrespectful. Is this something I should have commented on or should I just respect what he said for his honesty? 
    • By melodyfire
      O Lord, my Lord, my faithful and wonderful counselor. My faith for what I am asking for right now is a faith of which I have always longed. When I was young in the Lord, I used worked up faith, but now I just know.  Thank you for stretching my faith. 
      I come to you and ask that you look upon my son Christopher and bless him. He needs you! Heal his wounded heart and convince him of his true worth and value which is only in you. Chris is a treasure and a parents' dream. He works; pays his bills on time; saves his money; cares for others and helps others, and he is so loving, smart, intelligent and handsome. 
      Lord, I see a clear pattern that has developed in Chris' relationships with young women ...  3 in the past 6 years... each one of them damsels in distress, and he became their knight in shining armor. But they were all 3 abusive verbally - screaming - excessive drinking - getting Chris to spend his money on their fun. And yes, in talking to us about it, he confessed his ownership in making relational mistakes - especially what he calls "anger issues" and "low self esteem".  Lord, you are there when he talks to us. He is always second-guessing himself - searching for some magic fix that will make the girl love him. He wants so to be loved by a wife, but now it looks like he is somehow a target for young women who see his weakness for being the knight in armor.  
      Chris has been honest and forthcoming with us; talking for hours and trying hard to understand WHY. It breaks my heart. Chris belongs to you, Lord, and he knows You are Lord even if he hasn't talked to you in a while. 
      Lord, you saw what happened when he was 2 years old and I married his dad. His mother didn't come to see him or get him for 4 months. Then she repeatedly abandoned him until he was 14 and she stopped altogether until she found out he was grown and had a good job. Now, 23 years later, time and again, she reaches out to him only to ask for help or money, and he has given her money and tried to help her.
      The girls Christopher falls for he really tries to rescue - he is trying to win her love and acceptance by getting involved with women who remind him of her. He doesn't know that now, but he will know that and all you reveal to him, Lord Jesus. Lord, your son, Chris told us several times last week and tonight that he "really struggles with low self esteem and anger". He is desperate for a certain kind of love, and he is an amazing catch! But Lord, he is in the wrong pond! Get him to the right pond and throw him in!
      I speak life into my son's world. I speak as the Lord's ambassador and I bind the enemy from succeeding in his plans to wound my son further. I say what my Lord has said, that He abides in me as I abide in Him, and that the Lord will not dwell in the same house with the enemy! So devil, you have to leave my son and never return. Lord Jesus, fill Chris with the knowledge of your Word again. Replace what the devil has stolen - replace it and make it clear to Chris that You have intervened when he was in despair - that You have been made strong in his weakness.
      Lord, draw him away from these people he thinks are friends. He hates drugs, and yet drugs and alcohol - partying is their weekend ritual. Chris doesn't belong there! He belongs back in church; meeting Christian people and making friends; joining life groups and finding others he can confide in.
      Lord, if therapy will help, I ask that Chris make the appointments; that he do the hard work necessary for the renewing of his mind. Be all over this, Lord. You be the Therapist, and let Chris as well as his therapist hear from you. Enlighten Christopher's understanding about grace, redemption, God's faithfulness, sin battles, spiritual battles, and what your Word says about his worth and value. 
      You answered the prayers of other women in the bible.
       I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him. 1 Samuel 1:27
      He gives the barren woman a home, making her the joyous mother of children. Praise the LORD! Psalm 113:9
      - You gave me Christopher - make me a joyous mother again. I have loved him like he is my own son, and I am his mother. He is a witty and funny guy and makes people laugh all the time. But he has been unhappy for so long now. Remember Lord, Chris was always witnessing to his friends in high school. They were just drawn to him, and he eventually filled up 2 whole pews with young people... the pastor told us Chris had an anointing, and  just like that, he bolted and ran.
      Lord, what is the calling on his life? Why does he travel BESIDE the path that You have laid for him? How did the enemy get Chris so gas-lighted? He hears lies from satan. Satan is a liar and the father of lies. My son is the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus! 
      You are the Healer and the Redeemer! You are God! You are the Word! You created the universe and set every star and planet just right so that mankind can live and thrive on Earth and worship you. You made us in your image. Christopher is like you. 
      Lord, this desperate need for love at any price is the enemy's false version of love, and he has set traps for Chris. Spring those traps before Chris ever gets close to them and instead, let him find your love.
      Let Chris know you in a deep and intimate way.
      “You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you.” Isaiah 26:3 
      His dad and I have planted seeds of love and of your Word into his heart for weeks now as he comes to us for help and advice.   When he has been drawn close, Lord, pull him or yank him the rest of the way back into the light! 
      Give Chris a Christian wife who seeks wisdom; a gentle soul with her priorities straight and who will love him with the love of Christ. Let Chris know joy in becoming more and more an example of Christ toward his wife and toward the children he will have.
      Let his wife illustrate the strength and faithfulness of Christ's bride; the Church. Let them find in each other the many many ways of finding You. Give Chris friends who never tear him down or participate in destructive lifestyles.
      Change his world! Turn him back - run to him and fall on his face. Kiss him. Celebrate. Bless him. And rejoice, my Lord! Fill his heart and soul and mind with oil of joy for his wounds and mourning; give him your beauty for his ashes. Teach your precious Christopher how to abide in peace - even through all his struggles. In Jesus' name, I pray AMEN.

• By Micki87
      Hi my name is Micki. Can you please pray for my husband Brian... I pray that he would want to come home.. He cheated and left me at the beginning of 2018 for our teenage girl next door that he only knew for a few weeks. We were together for 6 year and only had been married for 4 months before this happened. No fights between us nothing before this happened. Idk what changed in him he isnt the type to do this kind of stuff. I have also been dealing with cancer while going through this at the same time. I juse finished up chemo and radiation treatments. And reached out to Brian in October.  We have only just now slowly started talking again. I just pray that God would be with him and that he would want to come back home to me and want to rebuild our family and marriage again. I do forgive him and I do love him unconditionally. It just breaks my heart so much. I just pray so hard that God could get through to him. I know only God can. I pray that Brian could find Jesus and have a relationship with him. I know Brian is an amazing man, he jas just made some mistakes the same as we all do. I know God as a plan for his life. 
    • By Michael37
      Good on Paul for addressing the dangers of temptation, deception, and corruption. "Seduction by any means" could well be Satan's motto. If he can lure new or careless converts by the preaching of another Jesus, and get them to receive another spirit, and accept another gospel, then such converts will be useless and unfit for the bride of Christ. 
      2Co 11:1-4
      (1)  Would to God you could bear with me a little in my folly: and indeed bear with me.
      (2)  For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.
      (3)  But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.
      (4)  For if he that comes preaches another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if you receive another spirit, which you have not received, or another gospel, which you have not accepted, you might well bear with him.

I have the same concern as Paul when I come across professing Christians who are following a false Jesus, manifesting a counterfeit spirit, and giving credence to a false gospel. Good on Paul for coming against the ministers of Satan who were subverting his converts while disguising themselves as ministers of Christ. 
      2Co 11:12-15
      (12)  But what I do, that I will do, that I may cut off occasion from them which desire occasion; that wherein they glory, they may be found even as we.
      (13)  For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
      (14)  And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
      (15)  Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

Paul could have just adopted the attitude that once sinners were converted to Christ nothing can undo that, but instead he warns against the kind of deception that innocent Eve sucumbed to, the kind of deception that starts with seduction and results in corruption. There is an "absoluteness" in Christ that is not to be found in anything or anyone else, and Paul was concerned that the Corinthians who had begun following Christ would become less than single-minded in their discipleship, not content with the simplicity of pure and sincere devotion to Him.
       It's the same today...seduction by any means to corrupt the minds of vulnerable Christians from the simplicity that is in Christ.
      Not you though I hope and pray!