• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  149
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/26/1972

I have a few 'Christian' friends who are obsessed with skulls and have them all over everything, including tattoos.   I try not to be judgmental, but most of them also drink too much and smoke a lot of pot and are kind of promiscuous.  If I wasn't a Christian and didn't love them and know them, I would likely come to the conclusion that they are degenerate trash, only pretending to be Christian.

They cheat on each other and the girls lost their virginity when 12 or 13, etc.  Lots of borderline personality disorders, I'm guessing.  They just aren't emotionally stable.

I'm obviously not perfect, either, but am sort of distancing myself from them.  For now anyway.

I guess their sense of style has too much in common with witches and devil worshippers, etc, with all the black they dress in, with skulls everywhere and monsters and demons in their preferred artwork.  One girl likes Ozzy Ozbourne and Rob Zombie and is obsessed with horror films where people get murdered.

Aside from that, they are kind hearted people at their core, a few I've known since childhood.

So now I want to pray, but am not sure what to ask for.  Do I pray for them, or for wisdom for myself?  I really just don't want to feel guilty about turning my back on my long time friends who know not what they do.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,796
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

I dont think the skulls are the real issue with them. Smoking pot, get drunk, have rampant sex ... those are sins listed in the bible. If they are into witchcraft, sure thats an issue too. But a skull alone is just a skull. We all have them ourselves. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  958
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,646
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Skulls are often more than an meaningless image or an empty encasement. A skull represents death mortality and emptiness, an equality in the end of all things.

That is a errant thought and a vacant philosophy. Anyone embracing it has missed the core of the gospel of Jesus. The shed blood of the lamb of God is that which provides permanent atonement for the sin each  man that is called by the Holy Spirit to repentance from sin against God and to understanding the word of God, which is impossible without the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. The skull  whether image or form is the symbol that states the Holy Spirit is being rejected and instead an equal vacancy is being declared to be the status quo and the end of life in the flesh.

So what to say  or do? If anything? Maybe ask, why do you select a skull to represent you to this world? What message  do you see in it that should not be  and cannot be better covered by the shed blood of Jesus? There is victory over that symbol of death and hoped for emptiness in  death. That empty void is  an error for hope is certain and only certain when it is placed in the blood of our Lord and savior Jesus. Why embrace emptiness that is just vapor an error of the heart mind and soul, when it is possible to be so full of life that lasts eternally in all that the Holy Spirit calls to see that Jesus is Lord God  and personal savior? Why not ask of God to show the way to Him and to invite the Holy spirit to reveal Jesus the lamb of God the word of God by whom salvation and real eternal life with God is obtained?

Might consider starting there at least as one's own thoughts about a beginning conversation about what being  a saint in Christ Jesus really leads to and means, to every single saved  person called out to be saved from destruction symbolized by a skull, And instead becomes  a thing fill up up, a person full of life and  spirit, through  Jesus alone and not by any other way.

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,265
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

Based on your description of them, they are lost and don't know it.

You gotta git em lost, before you can get em saved..........

Then, there's the good news.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,869
  • Content Per Day:  1.22
  • Birthday:  04/01/1968

Well I think of who designed the human skull or for that matter animals etc...

i think as long as your not giving credit to satan it would be fine.

i think most people see a skull and think evil but is that really correct I don't think so.

a skull is what is left after the soul leaves life ends and the flesh rots away only bone left. it is lifeless so I can comprehend that as a meaning as well.

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,247
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

It is easy to mistake God's love for sinners as His approval for associating with them.  You are right to distance yourself from them.  It is doubtful that they are truly saved.  God has given you His compassion for them and has enabled you to see their need.

1Co 5:9  I wrote to you in my epistle not to keep company with sexually immoral people. 1Co 5:10  Yet I certainly did not mean with the sexually immoral people of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world.

1Co 5:11  But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone named a brother, who is sexually immoral, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner—not even to eat with such a person. 1Co 5:12  For what have I to do with judging those also who are outside? Do you not judge those who are inside? 1Co 5:13  But those who are outside God judges. Therefore "PUT AWAY FROM YOURSELVES THE EVIL PERSON."

1Co 6:9  Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, 1Co 6:10  nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.

1Co 6:11  And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.

Find other committed and mature Christians to have good fellowship with them.  That doesn't mean that you should completely have nothing to do with your other friends.  I used to work with a woman who thought she was a Christian because she had once gone to a Bible study.  She would continue to live in sin and boast about her sins. .  Her heart was not changed so that she hated sin or was ashamed of it.  Christians produce love, joy, peace, patience kindness goodness faithfulness gentleness and self-control.  

Do pray that your friends eyes might be opened and their hearts be prepared to hear and receive the truth.  Also pray that God give you His wisdom and guidance as to how to best serve Him in reaching them.  Jesus sent His disciples out in pairs so that they could support each other and avoid being sucked into sin.  Often one is in prayer while the other witnesses as to what God has been doing in his/her life.  It is a good pattern to follow.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  149
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  03/26/1972

Thank you all so much!  You make a lot of sense. 

I know God designed the skull, but the way it is used by some people as a design of being tough or hard or whatever is just a joke.  It's like they think some evil things give them bravery and strength or something.

Guest shiloh357
18 hours ago, Big Time said:

I have a few 'Christian' friends who are obsessed with skulls and have them all over everything, including tattoos.   I try not to be judgmental, but most of them also drink too much and smoke a lot of pot and are kind of promiscuous.  If I wasn't a Christian and didn't love them and know them, I would likely come to the conclusion that they are degenerate trash, only pretending to be Christian.

They cheat on each other and the girls lost their virginity when 12 or 13, etc.  Lots of borderline personality disorders, I'm guessing.  They just aren't emotionally stable.

I'm obviously not perfect, either, but am sort of distancing myself from them.  For now anyway.

I guess their sense of style has too much in common with witches and devil worshippers, etc, with all the black they dress in, with skulls everywhere and monsters and demons in their preferred artwork.  One girl likes Ozzy Ozbourne and Rob Zombie and is obsessed with horror films where people get murdered.

Aside from that, they are kind hearted people at their core, a few I've known since childhood.

So now I want to pray, but am not sure what to ask for.  Do I pray for them, or for wisdom for myself?  I really just don't want to feel guilty about turning my back on my long time friends who know not what they do.

Pray for their salvation, 'cause they are not Christians in the sense of being born again.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  514
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,195
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  1

There’s been some pretty decent advice given here. Taking someone before the Throne of Grace is always a good thing. Sad it is, when you see friends going down a road you know is not good. Looking to yourself though, that you might not get caught up in their deeds. I know as a young person it can be real hard with all the things being thrown around these days. But sanctify Jesus as Lord in your heart and feed your personal relationship with Him and He will teach you all things. Blessing to you for your hunger after God. 

Much love in Christ, Not me

• Loved it! 1