• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.33
  • Days Won:  3

17 minutes ago, Pure Waters said:

Is oy vey not an expression of surprise/shock ? Im not sure if anyone could or would use these both as an ad hominem although one could argue about the usefulness of "huh"

Well, this was a bit of an education to me. I thought it meant something along the lines of, "that was really a dumb thing to say and you seem to be hopeless." Learn something every day.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  54
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

6 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

Well, this was a bit of an education to me. I thought it meant something along the lines of, "that was really a dumb thing to say and you seem to be hopeless." Learn something every day.

Just looked it up again because I wasnt sure. Wiki says "Oy vey (Yiddish: אױ װײ‎) or oy vey ist mir is a Yiddish phrase expressing dismay or exasperation. Also spelled oy vay, oy veh, or oi vey, and often abbreviated to oy, the expression may be translated as, "oh, woe!" or "woe is me!" "

Edited by Pure Waters

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,173
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

5 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

What's kinda funny is that the reason I'm here is that I got a one month ban from another Christian site for using the "haha" button. Serious. They made the argument that I was laughing at a post that wasn't supposed to be funny. Those guys are on too much of a hair trigger so I just left. I really need an adult site where the other posters have as thick a skin as I do.

Mostly it's the political things that get too out of hand here as a general rule.....    but we all have our buttons....    mostly I just post my thoughts and leave it to accept or not...   and it's very ok if someone disagrees with me....     just post and let readers decide yes or no....   but I do have my buttons too, but luckily those subjects don't come up that often...

3 minutes ago, Pure Waters said:

Just looked it up again because I wasnt sure. Wiki says "Oy vey (Yiddish: אױ װײ‎) or oy vey ist mir is a Yiddish phrase expressing dismay or exasperation. Also spelled oy vay, oy veh, or oi vey, and often abbreviated to oy, the expression may be translated as, "oh, woe!" or "woe is me!" "

Yeah. A few people here hit the "oy vey" on my quite a bit. I now have guilt over all the pain I'm causing them. :D

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, other one said:

Mostly it's the political things that get too out of hand here as a general rule.....    but we all have our buttons....    mostly I just post my thoughts and leave it to accept or not...   and it's very ok if someone disagrees with me....     just post and let readers decide yes or no....   but I do have my buttons too, but luckily those subjects don't come up that often...

Yeah. I avoid politics on this site. But there are some people who disagree with my religious point of view pretty vehemently. I think some get frustrated that I keep trying to back up my position and often, if they continue pressing the point, I just link to a site that covers it better than I can.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  536
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  1

56 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

What's kinda funny is that the reason I'm here is that I got a one month ban from another Christian site for using the "haha" button. Serious. They made the argument that I was laughing at a post that wasn't supposed to be funny. Those guys are on too much of a hair trigger so I just left. I really need an adult site where the other posters have as thick a skin as I do.

I think I know that site. Extremely clickish and one of the mods doesn't moderate at all. Anyway, I've received a few "Oy Vey's" here and I find them quite amusing. I always take it as a member who doesn't want to face up to the scripture I'm quoting because the scripture is always true, when are posts aren't. As for the "Huh? I don't get it", it too is humerous in a doubting Thomas kind of way, at least for me.

Cheers!!!:)

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  332
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  0

Oy vey! Oy vey ist mir. These two things, oder es hilft nit oder man darf es nit.

To be frank, the use of "oy vey" as an exclamation of surprise, that has always eluded me. The "Huh? I don't get it," I think is meant more for the posts that are either badly typed or worded in such a way that i'm not sure even the poster understands what they wrote. Example:

"Oh find bible read but hebrew yiddish sepugnant crypt for nine versions better deal on yesterday commentaries."

Still rather pointless, in my opinion.

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

2 hours ago, Still Alive said:

I'm sorry I made you feel bad. :(

;)

you didnt. im a smart alec at heart lol

• Haha 1

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,173
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

2 hours ago, Still Alive said:

Yeah. I avoid politics on this site. But there are some people who disagree with my religious point of view pretty vehemently. I think some get frustrated that I keep trying to back up my position and often, if they continue pressing the point, I just link to a site that covers it better than I can.

some here are pretty much hard mind set and when we disagree I know there is no reason to try and discuss it.....    I write most things for the people who come by and read and don't necessarily ever post....   there are a lot of readers who just come by.     My reason to be here is to help people who find themselves tied up with demonic problems and don't know how to get away from it.....    I did some deep research on the dark one back in the 70's and inadvertently got involved in things over my head....   God himself got involved and the whole process gave me a little insight into some of the others problems and how to deal with it....

And for those who bring ideas about the dark side I can suggest they not really be involved with them.  It's one thing to study history, but altogether another to find out how the dark ones work...   that kind of study got me into a whole lot of trouble.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  957
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,630
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

I take it to mean woe - woe! An exclamation of surprise and dismay at  a situation or a reveal, like an exclamation about the estimate received from  dentist for a new crown. Oy vey!

Or at a statement  of doctrine made that is surprising, like the Holy Spirit is just an attribute of God the Father. Oy Vey, I am surprised you could so misunderstand.

I don't use it as an attack, merely surprise, and to some great degree amazement.

Oy  vey, did you see that guy he just split on a pair of tens!

Edited by Neighbor