Guest shiloh357

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  528
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  1

*Still Alive*, if you can break away from this scintillating conversation, I have a question.  Do you know if the Bible specifically says where John was when he wrote the letter of Revelation?

Edited by Willie T

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.33
  • Days Won:  3

8 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

Which is a completely ignorant response.   You don't know beans about the Pharisees or you wouldn't say that.

You actually got me on that one. "Jewish leadership" was what I was shooting for. I got carried away. :)

10 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

Which only reinforces what I have said about your lack of qualifications when it comes to sitting judgment on translators and translations.

Again, Opinions vary.

16 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

It's not just English translations,  you sit in judgment on the accuracy of the Bible, period.

Actually, it is the accuracy of interpretations on which I choose to form an opinion.

8 minutes ago, Davida said:

No , that is only your claim.  You actually must think GOD's scripture is written by men not God-breathed.

I've only communicated to you what I "claim". The rest of your post is inference. I believe the old testament is written by men inspired by God. I have to believe that, since it is right there in 2 Tim 3:16.

And regarding the NT, What's kinda funny is the numbering of the scripture that gives the same credibility (or nearly the same, at the very least) is also 3:16, in 2 Peter.

I firmly believe that most of our English translations (stuff like the New World Translation notwithstanding) contain the word of God. I just don't believe that every single word in them is the word of God. And it's easy to demonstrate. First, when Paul says, himself, that what he is writing is not from God, but his words. And second, when it quotes Satan. 

But we're really arguing technicalities, and the Christian faith does not rest on such technicalities. It rests on Jesus' death and resurrection. The rest is a search for an understanding of the personality of our creator and a closer relationship with him. It was easy when I was downing the spiritual milk. It gets a bit more contentious and, truth be told, difficult, when you start going for the meat. There seems to be and endless line of people waiting to show you how you're all wrong. Meh...

19 minutes ago, Davida said:

That was a pitiful justification for your error. Only when it suits you do you claim GOD is the ultimate authority. To you GOD was  powerless to oversee His Word or HE must like to sew confusion,  again that contradicts what the Bible states -- but you don't believe the Bible is the Word of God, apparently,  just a collection of writings by men as to their closest guess, so you can agree or disagree and take what fits. Is that about right?

No. God is ALWAYS the ultimate authority. Not me. And not you, nor any other poster here.

Did god sow confusion when he told John to seal up what the seven thunders said? Confusion is, IMO, us, with hubris, claiming we know exactly what he meant when being intentionally vague. Frankly, I think the whole thing is a test of sorts, just as the tree in the garden was. Some say, "If only it hadn't been adam and eve. What if someone else had been there and hadn't taken the fruit. Frankly, I think they are missing the point. Adam and Eve did what they did as PROOF that that is what people do. They exposed the human condition - for all of us to see throughout history. It was like God roping a lamb to a tree and putting a lion there and saying, do whatever you want, but whatever you do, don't eat that lamb.

We all know that, assuming it is a normal lion, the lamb is toast.

So, just as God created Pharaoh for his purpose, he created Adam and Eve and placed them in the garden with that tree for a purpose. And same goes for you and me. We are fulfilling our purpose for which we were created if we seek him (and probably even if we don't).

Good job! :D

And speaking of confusion,  of those who were alive during Jesus' lifetime, how many of them reading old testament prophesy got it right?

Are we any better? If so, why?

Edited by Still Alive

50 minutes ago, Davida said:

Only for those who don't believe the Bible scripture- then  you bet it varies. 

I think you mean for those who agree on the interpretation of bible scripture.

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  275
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  5,208
  • Content Per Day:  1.00
  • Days Won:  0

Davida removed from from thread for getting personal in several instances.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  6,594
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

On 8/2/2018 at 11:16 AM, Willie T said:

It is said that Karl Barth once spoke these words:

"I Take The Bible Too Seriously To Take It All Literally."

Shalom, Willie T.

Hmmm.... That's a good reason not to take Karl Barth too seriously!