• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  591
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/27/1979

The bible teaches us that lies enslave and the truth sets us free. Fantasy doesn't bless anyone because it's ultimatly a lie.

Jesus told parables, but he didn't go into outright fantasy for entertainment. It's a whole different category.

But you could say the same then about any fiction story. Star Wars (that whole "use the Force" stuff is Satanic, isn't it?). Heck, the Sound of Music is fiction (though based on a true story).

Where does the line stop if we deny our children everything that is not absolutely true? Do you even own a television or radio? Most of that isn't real either! Before 1969, it was also a lie that man had been into space. But Isaac Asimov (as one example) had been writing about going into space for decades before that. Science fiction is one of the great inspirations that people use to increase the technologies that we today take for granted (the Internet that you are using to read this response was also nothing more than someone's imagination).

We're knee-capping our kids growth and development if we don't let them expand and explore, even if it is through fiction.

Just a thought,

*naturally I have no problem with superheroes, provided the parents are there to make sure that the kid understands it's not real

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  326
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

The bible teaches us that lies enslave and the truth sets us free. Fantasy doesn't bless anyone because it's ultimatly a lie.

Jesus told parables, but he didn't go into outright fantasy for entertainment. It's a whole different category.

But you could say the same then about any fiction story. Star Wars (that whole "use the Force" stuff is Satanic, isn't it?). Heck, the Sound of Music is fiction (though based on a true story).

Where does the line stop if we deny our children everything that is not absolutely true? Do you even own a television or radio? Most of that isn't real either! Before 1969, it was also a lie that man had been into space. But Isaac Asimov (as one example) had been writing about going into space for decades before that. Science fiction is one of the great inspirations that people use to increase the technologies that we today take for granted (the Internet that you are using to read this response was also nothing more than someone's imagination).

We're knee-capping our kids growth and development if we don't let them expand and explore, even if it is through fiction.

Just a thought,

*naturally I have no problem with superheroes, provided the parents are there to make sure that the kid understands it's not real

We're told to guard our hearts and minds in the bible because they're the wellsprings of life. We're also taught to bring up our children in the way that they should go. Do I own a television and radio? Yes. Does that mean I watch ungodly stuff? Try not too. Why? Because I'm a follower of christ. Garbage in = garbage out.

Lies are lies are lies. Fantasy for entertainment is just escapism. Would jesus do it? I can't see it.

We're told to guard our hearts and minds in the bible because they're the wellsprings of life. We're also taught to bring up our children in the way that they should go. Do I own a television and radio? Yes. Does that mean I watch ungodly stuff? Try not too. Why? Because I'm a follower of christ. Garbage in = garbage out.

Lies are lies are lies. Fantasy for entertainment is just escapism. Would jesus do it? I can't see it.

Are you telling me you never watch a fiction movie or comedy series? I would simply say that I am glad I am not your child (and I honestly hope I don't cause offence by that). Extending the imagination is not just helpful but necessary for the growth of a human being. If you don't let them see anything that is not true, how will they know to separate lies from truth when they are let off the apron strings? If you sit down with them and watch Superman and tell them that it isn't real, and perhaps even share a story about Jesus in there somewhere, that would be much better than the kid getting to school and seeing their friend's superman comics, not knowing the difference between it and real life, and then jumping off a building believing they can fly.

While I agree with Garbage in/garbage out, I must also indicate that not everything we see is garbage. Certainly excessive violence, language, sex, etc, is garbage, there are also other forms of entertainment that are not steeped in trash. I find it impossible to see how superheroes are a form of garbage.

~ PA

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  326
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

You're not offending me :emot-hug: but I disagree that not exposing your kids to fantasy will cripple their imaginations. Teaching them that it's good, will just encourage them into escapism and unreality. Children jump off buildings because they arn't taught truth from fiction. Telling them that fiction is healthy is just telling them that lies are healthy. That won't protect them. Teaching them that lies are lies so they know the bounds of reality/fantasy will enable them to protect themselves in life - not leave them exposed to deception.

As for standards on garbage. That's why I commented on Jesus. I can't see him watching superman or spiderman cartoons and encouraging kids to.

That's my opinion and I think we'll just have to agree to disagree.

You're not offending me :emot-hug: but I disagree that not exposing your kids to fantasy will cripple their imaginations. Teaching them that it's good, will just encourage them into escapism and unreality. Children jump off buildings because they arn't taught truth from fiction. Telling them that fiction is healthy is just telling them that lies are healthy. That won't protect them. Teaching them that lies are lies so they know the bounds of reality/fantasy will enable them to protect themselves in life - not leave them exposed to deception.

As for standards on garbage. That's why I commented on Jesus. I can't see him watching superman or spiderman cartoons and encouraging kids to.

That's my opinion and I think we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I'm glad I'm not offending you. And I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one, mate. I honestly can't see why Jesus would have a problem with comics or cartoons (unless he also has a problem with every other fiction story ever written or filmed).

All the best,

~ PA

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  101
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I wanted to make a few points on this subject. The first is that you shouldn't tell your children that Super Heroes get there powers from god, this is flat out untrue. Second comic books are a reflection of humanity as viewed by humans. The bible is the Word of God. The bible gives use tools we need to find faith, how to live are lives, it gives use instruction that can be applied to are lives. While comic books will do very little other then exploring the insights of humanity as we view it. There might be some people who might draw strenght and hope from certain heroes and inspire them, but that is the limit of comic books. The bible is so much more then that.

Also I want to say a few things about Superman. Some one said that if Superman were real that lots of people would chunk there beliefs and follow Superman, all I can say is that is flat out untrue. If Superman were real the world would seek to destory him, pure and simple. I know some of you would disagree with me but you would be wrong, and I will give you a perfect example of that, Christ. People feared Christ, went after him and tried to destroy him because of what he could do, because of what he stood for. Now you take a man who can do the things that Superman can do, the human race would fear him and what we fear we seek to destroy. This is a basic fact, and if you don't believe me then you should go back and study your history better.

Also the Superman comics have explored of him being some sort of savior. Yet DC postion on Superman has always been that he is not a savior but that some have come to see him as that. These are people that have lost hope, or in pain and need something to believe in. Superman is not meant to take Christ place (nor has DC even remotely come close to saying that he is some sort of savior), he is supposed to be a symbol of what we can be. He is a symbol of how the human race can rise above are petty differences and care about one another and bring true peace with the world.

Last but not least is that comic books are just storys, fun to read, even create intersting thoughts and ideas that can be explored but beyond that there just storys. Its up to each of use to examin comics and decided for are selves what is ok to read not only as adults but for are children.

At the end of the day it is God that we should turn to for hope, for help, and are morality.Yet Just because you are a christian doesn't mean you should stop asking question, that you should close your eyes and ears to everything that isn't in the bible. If all you do is read the bible, and ignore other ideas and beliefs, if you bury your head in the sand then your faith is blind. A true christian in my opinion is one who can read something like Harry Potter, or book one Witchcraft, or Buddism or anything and still maintain there faith.

Yet why do so, you might ask, if it goes your beliefs. I mean why read about Witchcraft, it goes completely against your beliefs. Yet if you have no knowledge of a Subject you can not dismantle it. Some one who is in to Witchcraft is going to have knowledge you don't have, the only way to make them question there belief is to dismantle there beliefs. Before I became a christian I used to dismantle christians on many subjects because they have no knowledge of what they were talking about, they were working off ignorance. I on the other hand had read the bible and learn how to use it to my advantage and to dismantle there beliefs to point they walked away frustrated. I'm not proud of what I did and I am very grateful that God has forgiven me for doing it. However I do value knowledge, I embrace it even if I don't agree with it because I understand Knowledge is power.

I know that sounds off the subject but its very much the heart of the subject matter. Comic books are just storys, fun to read and have interesting ideas but beyond that there nothing but storys.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Fiction stories are a part of our culture. They weren't a part of Jesus' culture.

Actually, before the general population had the ability to read, fiction was relegated to story tellers and morality lessons (i.e. "The boy who cried wolf"). I do not know how much the storytellers mixed true events with fiction, though.

I do not know what place fiction had in the ancient world apart from the Greek plays. Does anyone know?

But back to my point - we have to deal with things that did not exist in Biblical times, and thus are not addressed. Thus, we have to look at Biblical principles to try to find an application.

Off the cuff, I am thinking of "in the world but not of the world." "In the world" we drive cars, go to school for 13 years (including Kindergarten), have radios and TV's and music players and movies, etc.

Sometimes it's hard to balance what consists of "in the world" and "not of the world." Where would you put Micky Mouse for instance?

So the way I see superheros is that they are a part of our culture.

Personally, I do not have a problem with "superheros." I do, however, have a problem with what is done with them in the comics. For example, all the women are drawn to look provocative - spandex uniforms, large busts that are highlighted by the design of the costume, and such. Or two characters who had a "perfect" relationship in the comics for decades finally get married - and then their relationship falls apart (to include the man being seduced by a teammate). Things like this.

Speaking of, on YouTube there's a Marvel vs. DC series created by ItsJustSomeRandomGuy where they cut up on just about everything the fans didn't like about the movies. One point that keeps coming forth was the extremes the movies to in order to bring the heroes down to our level rather than encouraging us to reach up to their level (example: Superman having a kid). If you are into the superheroes, you'll find the series hysterical. (The Batman vs. Ironman were probably the best.)

Sorry for the aside.

The point is, I don't believe the problem or danger with superheroes is the fiction or fantasy of the stories. The danger is the world view that is coming across from the writers through the stories. (Did you know that Spiderman made a deal with a major demon who kind-of takes the role of the devil? The demon would undue some damage resulting from a mistake Spiderman was duped into and save Peter's aunt - long story - but in exchange the demon would also make it as though Spiderman had never been married.

See the problem here?

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  806
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  10/21/1973

A superhero who is portayed as a Christ-follower (correctly) doesn't strike me as antichrist.

Best example I can think of is Nightcrawler from the X-Men. I thought that a Christian character in mainstream comics was pretty cool. :whistling:

• 7 years later...

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

As a follow up, I want to let everyone know that my son just turned 17 and still believes in God, Jesus and truth. Thanks to all that participated.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

I say no superheros are not antichrists. But like any Sci-Fi superheros can be used to try and make God seem not real. I was a real comic book fan as a kid. With no siblings and no kids near our house those characters were like my best friends. I was into DC until Stan Lee came along and started Marvel. I was such a lonely and isolated kid that Spiderman aka the awkward nerdy Peter Parker seemed just like me. And even though Bruce Banner was a brilliant scientist as the Hulk he always wound up alone. I could relate to him. I loved Thor and still do but he caused me a problem. It bothered me that he was considered a god even though he was from mythology. Thor comics lead me to read books on the Norse and Greek gods and this caused me a problem until the real God made Himself known to me. But I had little or no guidance from my parents. Maybe it was just their generation but my parents didn't think a kid needed guidance. I had to finally resolve this on my own. Basically I did this. I had to keep reminding myself all superheros are fantasy, they are not real. This is especially true of Thor. So if I had kids today that's the approach I would take. It's impossible to shelter kids from fantasy and it's not a good idea. The more you hide something from a kid the more he will think there must be some ultimate truth there that he needs to know. The kid will not realize you're afraid he will learn a bad lesson, even though it's false. He'll never think it's something false. To a child, if something is false you wouldn't be hiding it from him. This is especially true of kids under 12 who tend to think in black and white terms. 

One last thing. I wouldn't tell kids God gave superheroes their powers because that's like admitting the heroes are real, which they aren't. All the comics have origin stories explaining how a hero got his powers. In the 1960's radiation was a favorite explanation and a child needs to be told straight out that radiation is deadly. It kills us. (I recently had to tell a 23 yr old young man that we can't use Nukes in a war because of the fallout. To use Nukes would end life as we know it. He actually didn't this) So little kids know nothing. We must teach them. Therefore be careful to teach them the truth. And remember, they're listening to everything we say in the home. Don't assume they aren't listening. I always was.