tsth

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,041
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  5

When you focus on the fear as I see here it makes for a miserable life, whether you fear God or the dark. Maybe I just trust Him more than most.

Ac 20:27 For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,127
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

sam - there are so many today who view God as a magic genie, a buddy that will do things for you quid pro quo, or a romantic lover who comes at your bidding. It is my opinion that this is because the people have forgot the fear of the Lord - that He is God, Lord, Creator of all.

When Paul said this he was expressing the fear of the Lord. Not a fear of being "squashed like a bug," but a fear of failing to walk before Him as he truly wished.

Rom 7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

Rom 7:15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.

Rom 7:16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that [it is] good.

Rom 7:17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

Rom 7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but [how] to perform that which is good I find not.

Rom 7:19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.

Rom 7:20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

Rom 7:21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.

Rom 7:22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:

Rom 7:23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

Rom 7:24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

Rom 7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

the fear of the Lord is a sincere desire to walk before Him, to serve Him in righteousness and in truth. In my opinion, it's taking most seriously His commands and His instructions to gain more of an understanding and wisdom in His word. Fear of the Lord does not mean less love, but a desire to serve and to walk before Him in favor. It has nothing to do with lack of trust in Him, or lack of faith. And it does not mean a miserable life, but one full of love and respect toward a God who deserves our reverence and our commitment.

I do not fear what He can do to me - for truly He can separate from me and that would be eternal hell. I fear instead what He has done for me - which is to cover me with righteousness, for that is humbling indeed, and something I cannot take lightly.

Perhaps the difference of opinion here is in semantics? :whistling:

Maybe so, for I would not consider the ones thinking the way that you are saying here as being saved and have a relationship with the Lord. That comes from the watered down doctrine of all you have to do to be saved is believe......... but no one ever gets involved with exactly what does believe mean. Satan and the demons believe.... actually worse than that they know.

As I stated, the beginning of salvation is truly the knowledge of God and the fear of what he has already appointed for this world. To not fear that would be sort of Stupid, but as Forest Gump's mama says, that can't be fixed (unless God fixes it).

I could fill many many pages with my thoughts of the huge numbers of people who think they are saved and are not. You can tell by the way they live their lives....... but fearing God isn't the problem here, its the false sense of security because they have been taught that they only have to believe to be saved.

However, I see no reason to fear the Lord or the Father as long as I am walking with Him, doing the things I see Him showing me to do. I just have grown to the point that I don't follow Him and his commandments out of fear, and would like to let others know that it is possible to reach that point.

I also know that OSAS is most likely the greatest heresy that ever existed and that should I revert back to my old self after he has changed me, I am lost and the the fear will return and is forever.

Maybe it's my "Beaver Cleaver" childhood. My dad was a rather strict moral Christian person that made us tow the line. But though he was big enough and had the authority to hurt me or all kinds of things to me, I knew that he would not, for he loved me dearly. His whole life I knew that, and because of that I tried my best not to do things that would put a bad light on us (he and me). I followed his rules most of the time and paid set prices when I didn't......... but he never really hurt me in any way. The two times he felt he had to spank me that I remember, he cried and it really didn't hurt my physically at all.

If I didn't have the relationship with the Lord, I'd be terrified today...... fear would not even begin to describe it; but, I now possess a peace that is beyond words....... even knowing that before very long I most likely will loose my physical life at the hands of the evil one...... but I'm not afraid..... Because I trust my Lord, and because I trust Him, I don't have to fear the Father any longer..... his spirit dwells within me and we are fine.

Of course I could be just totally self deluded..... But fearing him really would not change anything except maybe add a little resentment on my part.

• 5 weeks later...

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

1 Peter 1

14 As obedient children, do not be conformed to the former lusts which were yours in your ignorance, 15 but like the Holy One who called you, be holy yourselves also in all your behavior ; 16 because it is written, "YOU SHALL BE HOLY, FOR I AM HOLY." 17 If you address as Father the One who impartially judges according to each one's work, conduct yourselves in fear during the time of your stay on earth; 18 knowing that you were not redeemed with perishable things like silver or gold from your futile way of life inherited from your forefathers, 19 but with precious blood, as of a lamb unblemished and spotless, the blood of Christ.

In His Love,

Suzanne

Proverbs 28

14 How blessed is the man who fears always, But he who hardens his heart will fall into calamity.

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57

sam - there are so many today who view God as a magic genie, a buddy that will do things for you quid pro quo, or a romantic lover who comes at your bidding. It is my opinion that this is because the people have forgot the fear of the Lord - that He is God, Lord, Creator of all.

When Paul said this he was expressing the fear of the Lord. Not a fear of being "squashed like a bug," but a fear of failing to walk before Him as he truly wished.

Rom 7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

Rom 7:15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.

Rom 7:16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that [it is] good.

Rom 7:17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

Rom 7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but [how] to perform that which is good I find not.

Rom 7:19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.

Rom 7:20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

Rom 7:21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.

Rom 7:22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:

Rom 7:23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

Rom 7:24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

Rom 7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

the fear of the Lord is a sincere desire to walk before Him, to serve Him in righteousness and in truth. In my opinion, it's taking most seriously His commands and His instructions to gain more of an understanding and wisdom in His word. Fear of the Lord does not mean less love, but a desire to serve and to walk before Him in favor. It has nothing to do with lack of trust in Him, or lack of faith. And it does not mean a miserable life, but one full of love and respect toward a God who deserves our reverence and our commitment.

I do not fear what He can do to me - for truly He can separate from me and that would be eternal hell. I fear instead what He has done for me - which is to cover me with righteousness, for that is humbling indeed, and something I cannot take lightly.

Perhaps the difference of opinion here is in semantics? :rolleyes:

Maybe so, for I would not consider the ones thinking the way that you are saying here as being saved and have a relationship with the Lord. That comes from the watered down doctrine of all you have to do to be saved is believe......... but no one ever gets involved with exactly what does believe mean. Satan and the demons believe.... actually worse than that they know.

As I stated, the beginning of salvation is truly the knowledge of God and the fear of what he has already appointed for this world. To not fear that would be sort of Stupid, but as Forest Gump's mama says, that can't be fixed (unless God fixes it).

I could fill many many pages with my thoughts of the huge numbers of people who think they are saved and are not. You can tell by the way they live their lives....... but fearing God isn't the problem here, its the false sense of security because they have been taught that they only have to believe to be saved.

However, I see no reason to fear the Lord or the Father as long as I am walking with Him, doing the things I see Him showing me to do. I just have grown to the point that I don't follow Him and his commandments out of fear, and would like to let others know that it is possible to reach that point.

I also know that OSAS is most likely the greatest heresy that ever existed and that should I revert back to my old self after he has changed me, I am lost and the the fear will return and is forever.

Maybe it's my "Beaver Cleaver" childhood. My dad was a rather strict moral Christian person that made us tow the line. But though he was big enough and had the authority to hurt me or all kinds of things to me, I knew that he would not, for he loved me dearly. His whole life I knew that, and because of that I tried my best not to do things that would put a bad light on us (he and me). I followed his rules most of the time and paid set prices when I didn't......... but he never really hurt me in any way. The two times he felt he had to spank me that I remember, he cried and it really didn't hurt my physically at all.

If I didn't have the relationship with the Lord, I'd be terrified today...... fear would not even begin to describe it; but, I now possess a peace that is beyond words....... even knowing that before very long I most likely will loose my physical life at the hands of the evil one...... but I'm not afraid..... Because I trust my Lord, and because I trust Him, I don't have to fear the Father any longer..... his spirit dwells within me and we are fine.

Of course I could be just totally self deluded..... But fearing him really would not change anything except maybe add a little resentment on my part.

There is no doctrine called OSAS. It is a straw man

• 2 weeks later...

(1) FEAR and AWE

-David Wilkerson.

The prophets warn us that when we see God shaking the nations,

and perilous times befall us, our natural man will fear greatly.

Ezekiel asked, "Can thine heart endure, or can thine hands be

strong, in the days that I shall deal with thee?" (Ezekiel 22:14).

When God warned Noah of his coming judgments and told him

to build an ark, Noah was "moved with fear" (Hebrews 11:7). Even

bold, courageous David said, "My flesh trembleth for fear of thee;

and I am afraid of thy judgments" (Psalm 119:120). And when the

prophet Habakkuk saw disastrous days ahead, he cried out, "When

I heard, my belly trembled; my lips quivered at the voice: rottenness

entered into my bones, and I trembled in myself, that I might rest

in the day of trouble" (Habakkuk 3:16).

Please note as you read theses passages: The fear that came

upon these godly men wasn't a fleshly fear, but a reverential awe

of the Lord. These saints weren't afraid of the enemy of their

souls but they did fear God's righteous judgments. And that's

because they understood the awesome power behind the

approaching calamities. They didn't fear the outcome of the

storm, but rather God's holiness!

Likewise, each of us will experience overwhelming fear in the

coming times of destruction and disaster. But our fear must come

from a holy reverence for the Lord, and never from a fleshly anxiety

about our fate. God despises all sinful fear in us, the fear of losing

material things, wealth, our standard of living.

All over the world, people are filled with this kind of fear, as they

see their nations' economies deteriorating. They're afraid an

economic flood will sweep away everything they've labored for

throughout their lifetime. Such is the cry of unbelievers who have

no hope. It ought not to be the cry of the godly. Indeed, if

you're a child of God, your heavenly father will not endure such

unbelief in you. Isaiah warned: "Who art thou, that thou

shouldest be afraid of a man that shall die, and of the son of man

which shall be made as grass; and forgettest the Lord thy

maker- and hast feared continually every day because of the fury

of the oppressor" (Isaiah 51:12-13). "Sanctify the Lord of hosts

himself; and let him be your fear, and let him be your dread

[awe]" (8:13).

Let God be your fear and awe. That kind of fear leads not to death,

but to life!

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

Good word sis!

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Amen! :emot-pray:

• 5 years later...

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  241
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

Good posting 

• 4 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I was compelled to post this, as I have heard much opposition to the teaching and expounding on the fear of the Lord. It is SO necessary to our relationship with Him and our well-being.

Proverbs 1

7 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, But fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Proverbs 15

33 The fear of the LORD is the instruction of wisdom; and before honour is humility.

Wisdom was once explained to me as the ability to make decisions based on the Word of God. I am finding how it is much like the pearl described in Matthew.

Understanding is to see God at work around you and to be in agreement with Him.

Proverbs 3

13 Happy is the man who finds wisdom, And the man who gains understanding; 14 For her proceeds are better than the profits of silver, And her gain than fine gold. 15 She is more precious than rubies, And all the things you may desire cannot compare with her. 16 Length of days is in her right hand, In her left hand riches and honor. 17 Her ways are ways of pleasantness, And all her paths are peace. 18 She is a tree of life to those who take hold of her, And happy are all who retain her. 19 The Lord by wisdom founded the earth; By understanding He established the heavens;

What is Wisdom and Understanding?

Proverbs 4

4 He also taught me, and said to me: "Let your heart retain my words; Keep my commands, and live. 5 Get wisdom! Get understanding! Do not forget, nor turn away from the words of my mouth. 6 Do not forsake her, and she will preserve you; Love her, and she will keep you. 7 Wisdom is the principal thing; Therefore get wisdom. And in all your getting, get understanding.

The Beginning of Wisdom

Proverbs 1

7 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, But fools despise wisdom and instruction.

The fear of the Lord is as this:

8:13 The fear of the Lord is to hate evil;

Pride and arrogance and the evil way And the perverse mouth I hate. 14 Counsel is mine, and sound wisdom; I am understanding, I have strength.

3:7 Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the Lord and depart from evil. 8 It will be health to your flesh, And strength to your bones.

23:17 Do not let your heart envy sinners, But be zealous for the fear of the Lord all the day; 18 For surely there is a hereafter, And your hope will not be cut off.

19 Hear, my son, and be wise; And guide your heart in the way. 20 Do not mix with winebibbers, Or with gluttonous eaters of meat; 21 For the drunkard and the glutton will come to poverty, And drowsiness will clothe a man with rags.

The Beginning of Wisdom

Proverbs 1

It is so very valuable!

Proverbs 3:13 Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding. 14 For the merchandise of it is better than the merchandise of silver, and the gain thereof than fine gold. 15 She is more precious than rubies: and all the things thou canst desire are not to be compared unto her.

Proverbs 4

4 He also taught me, and said to me: "Let your heart retain my words; Keep my commands, and live. 5 Get wisdom! Get understanding! Do not forget, nor turn away from the words of my mouth. 6 Do not forsake her, and she will preserve you; Love her, and she will keep you. 7 Wisdom is the principal thing; Therefore get wisdom. And in all your getting, get understanding.

Matthew 13

44 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto treasure hid in a field; the which when a man hath found, he hideth, and for joy thereof goeth and selleth all that he hath, and buyeth that field. 45 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a merchant man, seeking goodly pearls: 46 Who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it.

It is of great worth to hear and love and obey the Word of the Lord. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of this.

In His Love,

Suzanne

I really love your post! Fearing God is the beginning! Thank you for sharing! 

(Mat 10:28)  And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.