Debp

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,029
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,374
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

If you were in the circus, what type of performer would you be?   What act would you most like to do?   And can you tell a bit why you would like to do that particular act?

I choose being a trapeze artist.  I think it would be fun to fly through the air with the greatest of ease. ? Also, I understand from my elderly mom that one of my ancestors from Eastern Europe was a trapeze artist.

My second choice would be to work with the lions!   Yes, I must like to live dangerously! :rofl:

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  962
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,713
  • Content Per Day:  5.05
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

well, hmm all I see is the guy that gets to sweep up the elephant stuff at the end of the parade.

The closing of the circuses marks a real transition time the last of 3D live entertainment with people developing entertaining physical skills and using them to entertain. now if one is to be shot out of a canon there would have to be others tht would shot the flier down in order to get any attention.

Harkening back to the era of circuses, I think I'd rather be in the rodeo, I liked rodeos big and small. Speaking of big, I saw Arthur Godfrey and his horse Goldie at the rodeo back at Boston Arena many many decades ago. But circus performers? Hmm Guess I'd like to ride an elephant, arrange for local sponsors, and sell tickets. But truth is the PC crowd has put the final nails in the coffin for circuses. Cruelty to animals and all that. I do enjoy Cirque du Soleil type performances and want to see Crystal the ice performance group, but really at $120  and up to $320per ticket  I will have to pass on that opportunity. But to be a performer wow, any one would be an amazing adventure.

If you want to live dangerously you can kayak the Crystal river on a sit on top kayak amongst the monkeys and alligators and garfish. Look down on a garfish bill, see the monster gator headed down river with you  and have the monkeys come over you in the trees, keeps one from hardly noticing an occasional water moccasin. But fun, you bet!

Edited by Neighbor
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,029
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,374
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

7 hours ago, Neighbor said:

well, hmm all I see is the guy that gets to sweep up the elephant stuff at the end of the parade.

The closing of the circuses marks a real transition time the last of 3D live entertainment with people developing entertaining physical skills and using them to entertain. now if one is to be shot out of a canon there would have to be others tht would shot the flier down in order to get any attention.

Harkening back to the era of circuses, I think I'd rather be in the rodeo, I liked rodeos big and small. Speaking of big, I saw Arthur Godfrey and his horse Goldie at the rodeo back at Boston Arena many many decades ago. But circus performers? Hmm Guess I'd like to ride an elephant, arrange for local sponsors, and sell tickets. But truth is the PC crowd has put the final nails in the coffin for circuses. Cruelty to animals and all that. I do enjoy Cirque du Soleil type performances and want to see Crystal the ice performance group, but really at $120  and up to $320per ticket  I will have to pass on that opportunity. But to be a performer wow, any one would be an amazing adventure.

If you want to live dangerously you can kayak the Crystal river on a sit on top kayak amongst the monkeys and alligators and garfish. Look down on a garfish bill, see the monster gator headed down river with you  and have the monkeys come over you in the trees, keeps one from hardly noticing an occasional water moccasin. But fun, you bet!

Thanks for responding!  Yes, I will miss the old fashioned circus...I think they could have retired the elephants without closing the show down.  What is Crystal the ice performance group?   Do you have a video for that section?

I also enjoyed the tight rope walkers.   Remember the Great Wallendas?

That Crystal River does sound so beautiful and interesting.  Florida right? 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  332
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  0

I'll just be the sad clown, the one with no sense of humor or joy. Sure, all the happy and hyper clowns pick on me and make me do stupid things, but that somewhat makes me the star of the show, doesn't it? Also, I don't have to smile. That's nice, too.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  536
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  1

9 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Funny you should mention Arthur Godfrey. He had an airplane in Teteboro, NJ back in the 50's. We lived in a small town next to Teteboro. One day my Dad, who was a career Marine was waiting for a bus on Rt 46 to go to New York City. He was in uniform. A lemo stopped at the bus stop, and it was Arthur Godfrey and he gave my Dad a ride into the City! I know, it's off topic, but that's what your post brought to mind!

Cheers Neighnor!!! :)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

2 hours ago, Debp said:

Thanks for responding!  Yes, I will miss the old fashioned circus...I think they could have retired the elephants without closing the show down.  What is Crystal the ice performance group?   Do you have a video for that section?

Nik wallenda still does tightrope walking. 

I miss circuses too. Hands down my choice would be lion or tiger tamer. I wanted to do that when I was a teen. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  536
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

12 hours ago, Debp said:

If you were in the circus, what type of performer would you be?   What act would you most like to do?   And can you tell a bit why you would like to do that particular act?

I choose being a trapeze artist.  I think it would be fun to fly through the air with the greatest of ease. ? Also, I understand from my elderly mom that one of my ancestors from Eastern Europe was a trapeze artist.

My second choice would be to work with the lions!   Yes, I must like to live dangerously! :rofl:

I'm with Neighbor on this Debp. I too would be one of the guys mucking out the animal pens and also bringing them their meals!

Cheers!!! :vacuum:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

• Topic Count:  350
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,514
  • Content Per Day:  2.70

12 hours ago, Debp said:

Pop corn - Peanuts - Cracker Jacks, get your dogs here, Hot Dog's HERE, get em while their Hot, Hot Dogs...

That job would suit my talents the best  ☺️

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  2

12 hours ago, Debp said:

This question reminds me of the old Newsboys song "Reality".   

I honestly cannot think of anything.  I even went to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_circus_skills  for a list.  Maybe magic acts or juggling.  Back in my physics prof days, I loved doing demos.  Swinging bowling balls at my face from across the room, smashing things after freezing them with liquid nitrogen, making my hair (when I had more of it) stand on end with a high voltage source.   I had no illusions the students were going to remember many equations but I figured they'd remember seeing unexpected things.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 2

• Topic Count:  962
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,713
  • Content Per Day:  5.05
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

16 hours ago, Debp said:

Hi, Been trying to  make a nice connection between service to our Lord and the fun thought of a best circus job. Guess one can figure all of life is a circus and we need share of our Lord with the world, some even as clowns share vividly of the fun of life itself- well except Emmitt Kelly the sad clown, but he too was funny. Funny I guess in a sad sack way, where one is glad to see someone else has trouble. I don't know.

Anyway the Ringling Bros.  and Barnum Bailey Company closed last year. It was  a pretty big deal around here.

The Wallendas? Sure! I guess a grandchild or two still do  special stunts.

Yes Florida.

Ah back to a circus job and service to our Lord; seems my limited use to my Lord, one that fits my "personality" has been to be in the background in a helps capacity. So I guess I could run on ahead and be a roustabout or foreman for setting up the circus show, seeing that equipment and facilities are all in order, and make rolling five year plans for upkeep and projected needs. I don't think I will be very impressive all made up  under the light in tights. LOL! Fact I'm very sure of it.

ps- I guess in a very serious sense many a serious Christian has given their life at the Roman Circus that is this world.

Edited by Neighbor
  • Loved it! 1