• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  953
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,589
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

30 minutes ago, maryjayne said:

what is the purpose of a halloween party?

Fun?

A half century ago I had one  ( Halloween Party) for the neighborhood, an old timey party with all sorts of games and apple bobbing contests and lights out  flashlight on a spinning rope tag. The kids had themselves a grand time. They still talk about the old days  and the year of the big party. ( it was just in my garage but to them it was  "big").

I remember the year my sister and her young  girl neighbor friend from Texas decided to make a hor'r house in our garage for Halloween. My dad said, "A what?!!!" ( My sister had developed a bit of a Texas accent which didn't mesh well with our Upper New England dialect).

They had fun making scary little things for their horror house, cooked spaghetti in a bowl  and such.  My sister is still alive and well today. The only horr'r she remembers and still doesn't much like is the memory of the time I covinced her that she could not break a raw egg by squeezing in it's ends no matter how hard she pressed her hands together. Was she mad at her big  brother when it popped! Still is kinda.

Edited by Neighbor

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.88
  • Days Won:  5

2 hours ago, frienduff thaylorde said:

Ask any catholic of the dangers of bowing to images , or praying to saints or mary and they will tell you its not worship or error.    So simple , even a child can understand it .

YET they dead wrong .   And so is honoring a pagan festival, EVEN if its done in ignorance .   The conscious of a child ,   IS NOT always RIGHT . 

Just as we were once in darkeness doing as the world .    Just because one thinks something is not evil , and make claim oh I am not celebrating it

does not mean they are no honoring it .     The catholics do this line with prayer to saints or mary or bowing before idols .   Yet WE KNOW that is wrong .

So too is any participation ON HALLOWEEN .     If we want to witness on that night ,  THEN DO it in plain clothes .

If dressing up and trying to get a bag full of candy was as evil as you seem to think it is, wouldn’t it be prudent to take bold action against such demonic activities.One could start by getting to the source of all of this Satanic activity —— those that manufacture and sell the evil costumes .They sit back counting their filthy profits while sending our youth to Hell.  Burn them at the stake I say!Pure silliness.Its only a big deal when you MAKE it one.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  953
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,589
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Thinking of fun- Ha, What I did with a few apples a flash light and a string  for halloween people now do with many hundreds of dollars worth of inflatable scary things in their yards.  

I do remember as an adult taking my own little ones around the neighborhood trick or treating, and  my being startled by the neighbor who dressed up in a strawman outfit and sat by his front door. I walked past thinking it was a straw scarecrow. After my kids got  their candy and we turned the scarecrow stood up and said "hello". I nearly jumped a foot off the ground. Funny! 

I once acquired for $12 total cost at an auction  about 45 dummies used for medical training, like five palletts full of them. From partial bodies with open heart. Fetuses in the womb, women giving birth, head and torso for learning CPR, and some full bodies, each used to train hospital personnel, nurses and paramedics. Well I didn't really want them but had to take them to get the items included in the packages up for bid that I did want.

I decided that since I had them I was going to use them on my lawn for Halloween. BUT it was just too gross. I'd give kids nightmares! So I didn't do it. 

Instead right after Halloween, I put them all out on the street on a Sunday night  in a pile for the city trash service. And there  come sunrise, after I had placed them out on Sunday night, was this huge pile of bodies and body parts were on the street early Monday morning. Well that went over big with the city and in neighborhood. Neighbors getting out for their daily commute, moms with  kids going to school, - and this pile-o-bodies on the street.

Yes we have great trash pick up service one of the five different kinds of trucks that come by  on Mondays did pick them all up and take them away.

Edited by Neighbor

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  151
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,149
  • Content Per Day:  1.05
  • Days Won:  0

what i have noticed this year is that the shops have Halloween and Christmas in the same isle hmmmn kind of figures huh!

anyways Halloween is an American import is what i was told as a child. oh sure we did the apple bobbing and toffee apple thingie. but not the trick or treat which i have always found to be a little bit of a loop for anti social behaviour.

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

3 hours ago, 1sheep said:

Is this a catholic thing or a mexican cultural thing? 

A  mexican cultural thing. But it is starting to blend with catholicism, unofficially (the vatican has denounced it). One of the images for the day of the dead, a female skeleton dressed in old fashioned clothing, has become a narco saint, santa muerta. That is, a so called saint that is prayed to etc like mary, by the drug cartels. 

Guest 1sheep
14 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

A  mexican cultural thing. But it is starting to blend with catholicism, unofficially (the vatican has denounced it). One of the images for the day of the dead, a female skeleton dressed in old fashioned clothing, has become a narco saint, santa muerta. That is, a so called saint that is prayed to etc like mary, by the drug cartels. 

I wonder what they are praying about and for what? More drugs? 

Safe passage over the border? Lol?

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.33
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

13 minutes ago, 1sheep said:

GREAT POINT ONE SHEEP .    

21 minutes ago, 1sheep said:

Among them, safe passage while crossing with the drugs etc. 

It is pretty bad. They have another narco saint, jesus malverde, who was a criminal himself. I know about these because the images are something to watch for, as a sign that any members of the cartels are in the area. As close as I am to the border, it is something I want to avoid. I have seen images of malverde in downtown phoenix. Images of santa muerta are a bit harder to recognize as part of the cartels graffiti since the day of the dead is big deal around here. 

If you are interested, this explains some of the narco saints without getting into spiritual details. (It is an article on a law enforcement seminar on the subject.)

https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/news/crime/2017/11/07/santa-muerte-saints-topic-el-paso-drug-cartel-seminar/841197001/

Guest 1sheep
1 minute ago, ayin jade said:

If you are interested, this explains some of the narco saints without getting into spiritual details. (It is an article on a law enforcement seminar on the subject.)

https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/news/crime/2017/11/07/santa-muerte-saints-topic-el-paso-drug-cartel-seminar/841197001/

Thank you . I am going to give it a read.