IGNORED

Are you TRULY "born-again"?

*Pumpkin*

Just now, maryjayne said:

is it like a marriage ceremony is a public declaration of a union between a man and a woman? I'm not trying to be difficult, jut struggling a bit to learn something from a different light.

It is a public declaration of ones faith that because they believed as Romans 10:9-10 states; they are assured that they are now reborn in Christ! 

22 minutes ago, Glenn said:

Where does the bible say we are saved "by faith alone"? 

I find this statement nowhere except in James 2:24.

He is not exactly in agreement with you.

Ephesians 2: 8-9For it is by grace you have been saved through faith and it is not from yourselves. It is a gift of God. Not by works so that noone can boast

For we hold that one is justified by faith apart from works of the law.Romans 3:28

So Then, the law was our guardian until Christ came, in order that we might be justified by faith.Galatians 3:24

4 minutes ago, maryjayne said:

Thank you all - I need to get praying for my adult son. He was christened as a baby into the Church of England, and confirmed as a teen, and I thought he was saved. He probably isnt. Feel free to pray for him too if you feel led that way.

However, he is autistic, high functioning, but lives at home and will probably not live independently. Maybe God has him and others like him covered? Advice welcome, or should I start a different thread?

High functioning autistic means he understands that his sin is rebellion to God? 

Therefore sin separates us from the Lord. That is why Christ is the atonement. We cant do anything to save ourselves! Our faith in grace in Christ alone saves us. 

Edited by 1sheep

2 minutes ago, maryjayne said:

high functioning as in very very good at a few things, incredibly good at one thing, but very very little awareness of other humans thoughts, and almost no understanding of feelings in others but small awareness of his own feelings on a given day.

Time scale awareness is virtually nil, and neither is consequences of actions or being able to think ahead for more than a few hours. He cant see danger, or outcomes of actions or words.

How does he respond to hearing the bible read aloud?

3 minutes ago, maryjayne said:

He likes it, and hymns, and he goes up for a blessing when we can get to church. He also prays for people if i ask him to. And works a few hours a week at a Christian charity shop. He says he like being around Christians.

He doesnt talk much spontaneously, except if he is interested in something and feels confident about it, but he can convey how he feels

Start a thread. Lets talk. 

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.35
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

48 minutes ago, 1sheep said:

One being immersed in water does not save. It does make one a wet unregenerated sinner though!

You are misapplying meaning to the verses you posted. We are saved by faith alone in grace alone through Christ alone. 

If one says baptism in water to be saved they are still on milk and are purporting a works salvation! Jesus said if anyone comes with a different gospel even an angel; he is accursed. There is no hope for him unless he repents and gets aligned with scripture. 

We should also not lose sight of the fact that when Jesus was speaking to Nicodemus, the ordinance of Christian baptism was not yet in effect. 

Therefore, the “water” mentioned in this verse is not literal physical water but rather the “living water” Jesus promised the woman at the well in John 4:10 and the people in Jerusalem in John 7:37-39. It is the inward purification and renewal produced by the Holy Spirit that brings forth spiritual life to a dead sinner (Ezekiel 36:25-27; Titus 3:5). Jesus reinforces this truth in John 3:7 when He restates that one must be born again and that this newness of life can only be produced by the Holy Spirit (John 3:8).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gotquestions.org/amp/baptism-John-3-5.html

That is right sister .   WE do it simply as an outward expression of an already inward change.    The eunach was saved BEFORE he was baptized .

And even phillip told the eunach ,  You may IF you BELEIVE with all the heart That JESUS IS the son of GOD .    WELL,    One cant hear or believe lest they were first drawn.

And it is BY FAITH ye are saved , BY grace ye are saved .  

I leave us with the words of a young man who had DOWNS syndrome ,  who apparently by GRACE knows more than many do today .

You can go down into the water as a dry sinner , YET STILL COME UP a WET ONE .    That young man KNEW what many don't .

The act of water baptism is not what saved them ,   and that many do many things WITHOUT TRULY HAVING CHRIST within them .

Should we be water baptized .   YOU BET .   but what will it profit a man IF HE KNOWS NOT CHRIST .    well nothing of course .

And you right , WHEN JESUS said you are clean by the words I have spoken ,      The water of the word ,    ITS SPIRITUAL .

The other man is taking things way outta text .    FOR MY WORDS are  SPIRIT and THEY ARE LIFE .      

water baptism serves ONLY as what we do AFTER we BELIEVE .    Its simply done , FOR OUR LORD said to do this .

To show the importance of being water baptized ,  lets look at acts .

When Cornelius and the few men with him received Christ and received THE HOLY SPIRIT

peter then said ,  IS their any water HERE that these may be baptized .   

So we should do it .   IF CHRIST said for us to DO ,  then we simply DO .

Once we saved by Grace , our Faith in HIM ,  we then follow the SPIRIT and we DO as our LORD instructed and instructs .

comparing everything to what has already been written IN THE BIBLE for our admonition .

Now how about a hearty praise to the LORD .

Lets simply keep and do ON the HEART the things and pattern JESUS SET and the apostels kept and taught .    AND REJOICE in the LORD .

24 minutes ago, Glenn said:

Living Water in the Scriptures is simply a reference to the Spirit...this does not refute my claim.

quote from Martin Luther himself:

Martin Luther
Sixteenth-Century Founder of Lutheranism

"t is solemnly and strictly commanded that we must be baptized or we shall not be saved. . . . To be baptized in God’s name is to be baptized not by men but by God himself. Although it is performed by men’s hands, it is nevertheless truly God’s own act. From this fact everyone can easily conclude that it is of much greater value than the work of any man or saint. . . . Therefore it is sheer wickedness and devilish b.asphemy when our ‘new spirits’ [Anabaptists], in order to slander baptism, ignore God’s word and ordinance and consider nothing but the water drawn from the well and then babble, ‘How can a handful of water help the soul?’" (Long Catechism 4). 

What is Mariology.   I just noticed this .   What does its beliefs entail.    I never heard of that .

1 minute ago, maryjayne said:

Marian Devotions are intercessions to Mary, who is considered by some to be not only Jesus mother, but the Spiritual Mother of us all. Its not worshiping Mary (apparently), but asking her in intercede for us in our prayers.

this is part of one of them:

Holy Trinity, one God,

Holy Mary, pray for us.

Holy Mother of God,

Holy Virgin of Virgins,

Mother of Christ,

Mother of the Church,

Mother of Divine Grace

Virgin Most Renowned,

Virgin Most Powerful,

Virgin Most Merciful,

Virgin Most Faithful,

Mirror of Justice,

Seat of Wisdom,

Cause of Our Joy,

Spiritual Vessel,

Vessel of Honor,

Singular Vessel of Devotion,

Mystical Rose

Queen of the Most Holy Rosary,

Queen of Families,

Queen of Peace

Myself, I think its drawing the worship/intercession line too far and therefore I do not consider it acceptable. Nor is it a practice suggested or recommended in the Bible.

It is Mary worship idolatry. It is beckoning a familiar spirit becayse mary isnt deity.