IGNORED

Am I wasting my time, I think everyone needs to study the bible more and be less concerned about work and money, you don't need to work full time to serve God, and you don't have to give a lot to charity or am I misunderstanding.

john1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  686
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  0

Numbers chapter 14 verse 30 

Not one of you will enter the land I swore with uplifted hand to make your home, except Caleb son of Jephunneh and Joshua son of Nun.

Judges chapter 2 verse 7 
The people served the LORD throughout the lifetime of Joshua and of the elders who outlived him and who had seen all the great things the LORD had done for Israel.

Acts chapter 1 verse 15
In those days Peter stood up among the believers (a group numbering about a hundred and twenty)

Acts chapter 4 verse 34 
that there were no needy persons among them. For from time to time those who owned land or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales

Philippians chapter 4 verse 4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,252
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

"Am I wasting my time, I think everyone needs to study the bible more and be less concerned about work and money, you don't need to work full time to serve God, and you don't have to give a lot to charity or am I misunderstanding"

Well, what with the Land taxes to pay to continue to have a home for my family, the food and water bills, the electricity, income taxes and FICA  I pay, the truck, tools and shop to keep up to run the business to support my family, and the support of our church and various ministries, I think I'll keep on working.  No workee no eatee! (scriptural) Man can do the work, but it is God who blesses with the increase. How about you, John. Are you still employed and supporting yourself? Have you sold your possessions and given them to the poor. Or would it be better for everybody to be a bit more frugal, less materialistic, and continue to do as God commands, to be a good steward and use your talent given you, support your family, and cast your bread upon the water. That is what I believe my bible says.  And the bible is what I will continue to use till something better comes along.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  28
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

There is only one thing you really have to do. 

Accept Jesus into your heart. 

The rest is all secondary to that. 

Work full time or not, give to charity or not, it really doesn't compare to the top thing. 

As Christians we should try our best to follow the teachings in the Bible but doing those works will not get you into Heaven. 

Only one thing can do that. 

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,953
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

4 hours ago, john1 said:

Not one of you will enter the land I swore with uplifted hand to make your home, except Caleb son of Jephunneh and Joshua son of Nun.

Judges chapter 2 verse 7 
The people served the LORD throughout the lifetime of Joshua and of the elders who outlived him and who had seen all the great things the LORD had done for Israel.

Acts chapter 1 verse 15
In those days Peter stood up among the believers (a group numbering about a hundred and twenty)

Acts chapter 4 verse 34 
that there were no needy persons among them. For from time to time those who owned land or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales

Philippians chapter 4 verse 4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!

Here is a handful of verses to consider:

Ecc 9:10  Whatsoever your hand finds to do, do it with your might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, where you eventually go.

Gal 6:4-5
(4)  But let each man prove his own work, and then shall he have his glorying in regard of himself alone, and not of his neighbour.
(5)  For each man shall bear his own burden.
Gal 6:8-10
(8)  For he that sows unto his own flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that sows unto the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap eternal life.
(9)  And let us not be weary in well–doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.
(10)  So then, as we have opportunity, let us work that which is good toward all men, and especially toward them that are of the household of the faith.

Eph 5:16  Redeeming the time, because the days are evil. 

Col 4:5  Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time. 

In NZ where I am there are numerous Christians who are receiving their fortnightly superannuation payments (aka pension) and providing their skills and services free of charge when their help is needed. The vibe is great - a former professional IT serviceman did $600 worth of work on our computors and refused any payment other than a cup of tea and godly fellowship.  When I was asked by an older Christian man for suggestions as to what he could do now that he is no longer able to find paid work I replied that I believed it was an opportunity to be more involved in ministry, serving the body of Christ in an area of the Lord's directing.  ?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  606
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

5 hours ago, john1 said:

Am I wasting my time, I think everyone needs to study the bible more and be less concerned about work and money, you don't need to work full time to serve God, and you don't have to give a lot to charity or am I misunderstanding.

No, everyone should not be less concerned about work and money.

Will a Church with only full-time pastors, missionaries, prophets and no lay members working full-time outside the Church be able to finance itself.? 

2THESSALONIANS.3:6-15 (NKJV) Warning Against Idleness

6 But we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you withdraw from every brother who walks disorderly and not according to the tradition which he received from us. 7 For you yourselves know how you ought to follow us, for we were not disorderly among you; 8 nor did we eat anyone’s bread free of charge, but worked with labor and toil night and day, that we might not be a burden to any of you, 9 not because we do not have authority, but to make ourselves an example of how you should follow us.

10 For even when we were with you, we commanded you this: If anyone will not work, neither shall he eat. 11 For we hear that there are some who walk among you in a disorderly manner, not working at all, but are busybodies. 12 Now those who are such we command and exhort through our Lord Jesus Christ that they work in quietness and eat their own bread.

13 But as for you, brethren, do not grow weary in doing good. 14 And if anyone does not obey our word in this epistle, note that person and do not keep company with him, that he may be ashamed. 15 Yet do not count him as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother.

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,252
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, eileenhat said:

Re; Giving of your funds

He would like us to support one another, whether than means giving your money to someone else or just prayers.  It depends (where your money flows) a lot on both your circumstances (for instance I have more needs than money regularly....so just something I stay in prayer about myself for guidance and support...as it is tough to be without funds for needs, I know) and what God is calling on you to do.

I never give automatically as I feel God needs to lead the way for my gift giving so I am immune to the demands for money than many give.  I always listen to the calls for giving, but rarely feel the need to respond to them.  Usually, they need my prayers more than they need the income.

We have to trust God knows what needs to be given or have we lost that much faith in him? 

Edited 1 hour ago by eileenhat

Luke 21:1-4

The Widow’s Two Mites

21 And He looked up and saw the rich putting their gifts into the treasury, 2 and He saw also a certain poor widow putting in two mites.[a] 3 So He said, “Truly I say to you that this poor widow has put in more than all; 4 for all these out of their abundance have put in offerings for God, but she out of her poverty put in all the livelihood that she had.”

Everybody heard and saw the large gifts given from the rich out of plenty, but Jesus saw the widows giving her tiny mite, her all.
Giving out of abundance is good, giving from the heart when it hurts is Godly. It is God who supply's our needs. Cast your bread upon the waters.
You can't out give God

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.33
  • Days Won:  3

13 hours ago, john1 said:

Judges chapter 2 verse 7 

Acts chapter 1 verse 15

Acts chapter 4 verse 34 

It's hard to say. I don't know how much everybody else is studying the bible. I don't know what the "officially required" bible study time is neccessary. 

I will throw this out, though. There is more to the Christian life than just reading the bible. My personal opinion is that God didn't design us all to be monks. I like living life in joy in him - acknowledging my Creator for who he is and that my life, every moment, depends on him. 

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Content Count:  41,194
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

For God Himself, in flesh, it was more necessary than physical food.... combining Paul's urging

1 Cor 11:1

11 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.
KJV

pretty much seals the deal on how important is the study of God's Word...

Edited by enoob57
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Steward

• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,465
  • Topics Per Day:  1.26
  • Content Count:  27,777
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  129
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

Shalom John,

Perhaps you can look at work from the perspective of ... God wants you to prosper and succeed in anything you do.  

If you were a farmer ... and you thought you should study and pray more ... than plant seed ... what kind of harvest would you expect?   God can only multiple what is planted.  100 * 0 = 0  even 1,000,000,000,000 * 0 = 0 

So if a farmer says to himself, I'll sit around and pray and read my Bible -- and I'll expect God to give me an abundant harvest.  Obviously, he's not put into his efforts something God can multiply!  

You are simply a STEWARD of God's resources, however to expect God to bless -- when you've not put forth the effort ... is like asking God to multiply by 0.

God bless,

George

• Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  686
  • Content Per Day:  0.29

16 hours ago, Gary Lee said:

Have you sold your possessions and given them to the poor.

What I'm saying is most people I see are more worried about money than God.

Ecclesiastes chapter 5 verse 10

Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

• Thanks 1