Dream catcher

• Group:  Newbie
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

When my daughter was 7 her grandfather  bought her an elaborate dreamcatcher.  We just considered it a piece of decoration for her room.   She is now 29 and that dreamcatcher is some where in my attic.  My sister advised me to find it and get rid of it saying it could interfere with my prayers.  Is there scriptural basis for this?  Should I remove it?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31
  • Days Won:  67

I think Paul summed it up best.

Romans 8:38 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

God hears your prayers, but His timing is not our timing.  The answer is sometimes yes, sometimes no, and sometimes wait.  Do I think or believe a dreamcatcher can somehow make God deaf to your voice?  Absolutely not.  If it makes you feel better, go through the attic and discard it, if it is still even in your home.  I don't think it matters one way or the other, but if it eases your mind that is a solution.

God bless

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

9 hours ago, Michele D said:

When my daughter was 7 her grandfather  bought her an elaborate dreamcatcher.  We just considered it a piece of decoration for her room.   She is now 29 and that dreamcatcher is some where in my attic.  My sister advised me to find it and get rid of it saying it could interfere with my prayers.  Is there scriptural basis for this?  Should I remove it?

You might want to read this regarding dream catchers. It will give you some good Biblical answers.

https://www.gotquestions.org/dream-catcher-Christian.html

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,106
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

13 hours ago, Michele D said:

the spiritual side of dream catchers has to do with keeping evil/dark spirits away from a person while they sleep...   I think the Holy Spirit takes care of that for a Christian.    I think I can safely say that nothing is going to interfere with your prayers no matter what....

While I'm very leery of anything that is made to interfere with the spirit world I don't see any real serious problem with a catcher just being in the attic unless you are using it for it's intended purpose.   We should not be using anything of that nature....  

Pray about it and let the Spirit tell you what to do....   if it bothers her at all, she should get rid of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Personally, I got rid of anything that had to do with other religions or the occult shortly after I started walking with God.  My grandfather was not a Christian but had practiced the occult, and I wanted to serve only the Living God and wanted nothing to do with other religions.  That is what I felt I needed to do to express my single love for God.  

However, that is not something everyone has to do.  If you were once involved in the occult or other religions then you might consider getting rid of those symbols etc.  Otherwise I have to agree with Other One.   

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

The Apostle Paul addresses what I consider superstition in the faith.

Superstition is the bedrock of religion and how people are so easily duped by religion.

On the one hand Paul says meat bought in the market place (typically from sacrifices to idols) is nothing (to concern ourselves about)

but on the other hand the worship of idols is more than bowing before wood or stone but is the worship of demons.

If drinking wine offends a brother who determines wine drinking is sin... then you harm your brother by expressing your liberty about wine

before him. Or eating only vegetables and not meat...  

The dream catcher can be used as a gateway (as so many things are including the internet you are now looking at) to evil or corruption...

but it's not a magical tool of the devil per se...

If we were to weed out all things potentially harmful / evil from our lives we would have to leave Terra Firma.  

But I'd also keep in mind the garbage in garbage out rule.

My dear Wife game me once what she thought was a cross but turned out to be an Egyptian ankh. 

I got rid of it as a pagan symbol but in my less superstitious years I came to learn and appreciate

how God has influenced humanity with the Christ prophecy even in non-Jewish peoples.

The camp of the Jews in the wilderness (though a Jewish prophecy) in the Tanakh of the cross is found

in Numbers 2 (the shape and dimensions of the encampment of Israel in the wilderness) centered on the tabernacle.

Edited by JohnD