Debp

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,041
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,458
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

Did you read about the Spring, Texas man who figures it's cheaper to retire at the Holiday Inn than at a retirement place?   The Holiday Inn comes to $59 a day whereas the other is $188 a day.   He goes on to tell of all the freebies the Holiday Inn offers like free breakfast, shampoo, soap, maid service, gym, pool, etc.   Free shuttle to the airport cafes or if you want to fly elsewhere.    There's a free bus for seniors in front of the Holiday Inn.   Plus he said if you break a hip at the Inn, they will pay for it!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,041
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,458
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

6 hours ago, PepperS said:

There are people who do this on cruise ships. My husband and I have discussed this option ourselves.

https://www.sunnyskyz.com/happy-videos/6982/This-88-Year-Old-Grandma-Has-Been-Living-On-A-Cruise-Ship-For-10-Years

That is amazing.  Of course, it costs her $175,000 a year to continually cruise around the world.    I guess her husband left her alot of money!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  786
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,973
  • Content Per Day:  3.02
  • Days Won:  1

If you live at the boarding house it would be even cheaper.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  979
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  13,947
  • Content Per Day:  5.08
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

2 hours ago, Debp said:

That is amazing.  Of course, it costs her $175,000 a year to continually cruise around the world.    I guess her husband left her alot of money!

That's about the same as in home care costs today. Actually in home care  with the extras added in is far more than $200,000 per year. And yes that chews through a lot of money- but you can't take it with you can you? So spend it as needed today and do not worry excessively about tomorrow. Today has enough troubles of it's own.

I do remember when we had a motor hotel, commercial rooms were $17 for a single.  Now I pay close to $200 a day for a double room as I travel. I don't know where that $59 room might be in Texas, but paying for fixed and variable costs likely exceeds that amount per occupied room at most acceptable facilities around the USA. 

The numbers are going up rapidly as the idea of $15 an hour minimum wage becomes  near universal as a standard.

May God grant each of us good health till the end of this flesh so that many do not become that burden most of us likely dread becoming. May each of us learn to better do our part in caring for our flesh body in diet and in exercise habits.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  547
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  33,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.11
  • Days Won:  253
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

One of my great aunts went into a retirement home as she was beginning to become confused and had had several falls.  It was a very caring place with great staff but boy was it regimented. She was only allowed a set amount of money per week in order to be " fair " to everyone there. She had no say in what she wanted to watch on television as there were no separate tv's in the rooms ( unless you also paid the separate tv license ) Food was whatever was on the menu for the day and no or very very little choice , She was asked to pay to redecorate her room and buy new bedding as it was getting shabby ( yes we did complain and no she didn't have to pay but had she not had family looking after her she could easily have been taken advantage of ) 

She basically had no choice as even though we all visited her so she was never left a day without someone visiting, every adult in the family ( ie my parents my two sisters and myself ) had to work so couldn't have her with us since she was getting confused and was not safe to be left The much wider family were not at all close to her (her mum was my great grandmothers sister ) but IF you are in good mental health and a reasonable state of bodily health you would be much better off ( and mostly cheaper ) to do something like living in a hotel/holiday complex apart from peak holiday season 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,246
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  5

1 hour ago, ladypeartree said:

One of my great aunts went into a retirement home as she was beginning to become confused and had had several falls.  It was a very caring place with great staff but boy was it regimented. She was only allowed a set amount of money per week in order to be " fair " to everyone there. She had no say in what she wanted to watch on television as there were no separate tv's in the rooms ( unless you also paid the separate tv license ) Food was whatever was on the menu for the day and no or very very little choice , She was asked to pay to redecorate her room and buy new bedding as it was getting shabby ( yes we did complain and no she didn't have to pay but had she not had family looking after her she could easily have been taken advantage of ) 

She basically had no choice as even though we all visited her so she was never left a day without someone visiting, every adult in the family ( ie my parents my two sisters and myself ) had to work so couldn't have her with us since she was getting confused and was not safe to be left The much wider family were not at all close to her (her mum was my great grandmothers sister ) but IF you are in good mental health and a reasonable state of bodily health you would be much better off ( and mostly cheaper ) to do something like living in a hotel/holiday complex apart from peak holiday season 

Look up st.francis manor in vero beach .

• Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  547
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  33,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.11
  • Days Won:  253
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

would but we are in the UK and she died about 15 years ago :emot-hug:

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  332
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  0

I personally think it's best if an old person is taken care of by family. With family, you know that they are cared for. Issue there is that some people work too much to have enough free time, and some require specialized treatment. In those cases, it's... Difficult. At the very least, I would encourage people to check on their old folks often. They will appreciate the company, and you can ensure that they're being treated well.

On a side note, I don't buy into life insurance companies. I'd imagine what you pay in doesn't equal nearly as much as the pittance they would put towards your funeral. I would simply keep my own funeral fund. Just as it is with retirement homes, I despise the vultures who prey on the elders. They have done their work, and they deserve a few years of relaxation and peace before the end. Not a bunch of money schemers and thieves trying to riffle through their pockets.

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.26
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

14 hours ago, Debp said:

Did you read about the Spring, Texas man who figures it's cheaper to retire at the Holiday Inn than at a retirement place?   The Holiday Inn comes to $59 a day whereas the other is $188 a day.   He goes on to tell of all the freebies the Holiday Inn offers like free breakfast, shampoo, soap, maid service, gym, pool, etc.   Free shuttle to the airport cafes or if you want to fly elsewhere.    There's a free bus for seniors in front of the Holiday Inn.   Plus he said if you break a hip at the Inn, they will pay for it!

Maybe a Motel 6 would work for those in a lower income bracket.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  786
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,973
  • Content Per Day:  3.02
  • Days Won:  1

Why no people choose the boarding house with rented rooms ?

Edited by R. Hartono
  • Loved it! 1