Tigger56

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  679
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  1,327
  • Content Per Day:  0.70
  • Days Won:  0

"Cult"! I have, in my lifetime, heard this term used at various times whenever one believer of one denomination disagreed with the beliefs of another who was of another denomination that perhaps had very different beliefs on certain subjects.  I have heard the term "cult" used when the person doesn't understand what another group may believe but feel threatened by the their beliefs. So, if I could, what is your definition of a cult? 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,413
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

I'd say a cult would need to meet a few qualifiers. The more of these criteria it meets the more likely it's a cult.

1: Their beliefs are significantly different from the mainstream of whatever faith the cult is descended from.

2: There's often a layer of secrecy to their teachings and practices.

3: Its members are being exploited by the leaders in some fashion.

4: Cults are often centered around an individual, like the founder or leader.

5: Cults tend to isolate their members from their friends and family.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  958
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,646
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

A cult is any organized group that substitutes what is false for what is true regarding the gospel of Jesus; doing so for the purpose of undermining the gospel of Jesus.

Cults describe a Jesus  and a gospel of Jesus that is very different from the Bible's declaration. Cults are of their father Satan all with the intent of denying Jesus as Lord God and personal savior, usually by inserting a doctrine of personal works,  or by equating another with Jesus, or by making all persons equal to Jesus.

Often the cult sounds like it is Christianity, because it's adherents use the name Jesus in their presentations and even in their names, but in fact it is not Christian at all.

Practical example: The Church Of Latter Day Saints  Of  Jesus Christ. The name declares Jesus, but it's doctrines deny Him by making all persons that  properly follow the cults works gods themselves.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.71

Any organisation that down grades Jesus, that has another source of authority other than the bible, isolates members from non members including family and seeks to controll the activities and resources of its members.

JW, Mormons christdelphians, christian scientists etc All deny the deity of Jesus, have a book that is more important than the bible and want members not to associate with nonmembers.

That also sounds like the Muslims, or in one of the criteria the Jewish as they believe Jesus perhaps was a prophet but not the Son of God.

Edited by Tigger56

15 minutes ago, AnOrangeCat said:

I'd say a cult would need to meet a few qualifiers. The more of these criteria it meets the more likely it's a cult.

1: Their beliefs are significantly different from the mainstream of whatever faith the cult is descended from.

2: There's often a layer of secrecy to their teachings and practices.

3: Its members are being exploited by the leaders in some fashion.

4: Cults are often centered around an individual, like the founder or leader.

5: Cults tend to isolate their members from their friends and family.

Pretty good definition. Thanks.

But I meet some of that criteria....  oops! 

Such as... mainstream Christianity keeps Sunday and holidays such as Christmas and Easter.  I keep the weekly Sabbath and Holy Days and not the quote Christian holidays.  But I believe in and worship the Lord God and the Lord Jesus.

Can't claim the second one.  We are very open about our beliefs and invite people to church on our sign outside the church building, etc...

No members are exploited by the leaders  ... so we are good there.

We are centered around one leader:  Jesus... but don't think that is a problem.

When someone starts keeping the Sabbath and Holy Days instead of Sunday, etc... many times family members get very upset and ostracize the one trying to keep the Sabbath and quickly refer to our church as a cult.

In my area, you can't throw a rock without hitting a Baptist church so our beliefs are very foreign to many around us.

So having been called a cult on numerous occasions it is nice to get the definition or explanation as to what people believe it is.  

Thanks for sharing.

8 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

A cult is any organized group that substitutes what is false for what is true regarding the gospel of Jesus; doing so for the purpose of undermining the gospel of Jesus.

Cults describe a Jesus  and a gospel of Jesus that is very different from the Bible's declaration. Cults are of their father Satan all with the intent of denying Jesus as Lord God and personal savior, usually by inserting a doctrine of personal works,  or by equating another with Jesus, or by making all persons equal to Jesus.

Often the cult sounds like it is Christianity, because it's adherents use the name Jesus in their presentations and even in their names, but in fact it is not Christian at all.

Practical example: The Church Of Latter Day Saints  Of  Jesus Christ. The name declares Jesus, but it's doctrines deny Him by making all persons that  properly follow the cults works gods themselves.

Your definition leaves much open. The true gospel of Jesus... according to who's interpretation? Your explanation of personal works indicates that all who don't believe in OSAS is a cult (unless I misunderstand you). You appear to have a very narrow interpretation of who is a Christian. Sorry, just as it appears in your post. Don't mean to misinterpret. 

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  958
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,646
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

20 minutes ago, Tigger56 said:

Your definition leaves much open. The true gospel of Jesus... according to who's interpretation? Your explanation of personal works indicates that all who don't believe in OSAS is a cult (unless I misunderstand you). You appear to have a very narrow interpretation of who is a Christian. Sorry, just as it appears in your post. Don't mean to misinterpret. 

You interpret correctly (but not regarding OSAS) for  Jesus declared a very narrow path or way to God. He stated "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the father except by me."

From there the way  is further qualified that no one seeks God, no one earns their salvation from the just wrath of God. Cults deny all of this, substituting personal works and the attaining of god-like status, or even becoming gods of new planets raising spirit children and declaring Satan to be the brother of Jesus.

Yes again, you are absolutely right I do have a narrow interpretation of who is Christian.

That interpretation has nothing to do with the ongoing debate between brothers and sisters in the Lord over OSAS, nor over freewill versus God's foreknowledge and predestination of all that will be saved or even hyper calvinism. Nor does it have anything to do with  various tribulation beliefs pre trib, mid trib, pre wrath, post trib, or even no trib, and no rapture. I accept all those differing understandings to be held by brothers and sisters in the Lord Jesus who will spend eternity with our Lord Jesus, with God the Father, and with God the Holy Spirit.

Why I even think there will be some Baptists found to be saved as well as some Pentecostals. Perhaps they will be at different rooms of the Father's house eh? But what fun if we are intermixed with all new fuller doctrine to see more clearly and live eternally!

4 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

You interpret correctly (but not regarding OSAS) for  Jesus declared a very narrow path or way to God. He stated "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the father except by me."

From there the way  is further qualified that no one seeks God, no one earns their salvation from the just wrath of God. Cults deny all of this, substituting personal works and the attaining of god-like status, or even becoming gods of new planets raising soirit children and declaring Satan to be the brother of Jesus.

Yes again, you are absolutely right I do have a narrow interpretation of who is Christian.

That interpretation has nothing to do with the ongoing debate between brothers and sisters in the Lord over OSAS, nor over freewill versus God's foreknowledge and predestination of all that will be saved or even hyper calvinism. Nor does it have anything to do with  various tribulation beliefs pre trib, mid trib, pre wrath, post trib, or even no trib, and no rapture. I accept all those differing understandings to be held by brothers and sisters in the Lord Jesus who will spend eternity with our Lord Jesus, with God the Father, and with God the Holy Spirit.

Why I even think there will be some Baptists found to be saved as well as some Pentecostals. Perhaps they will be at different rooms of the Father's house eh? But what fun if we are intermixed with all new fuller doctrine to see more clearly and live eternally!

I see some of your definition includes "Mormons". I tend to agree with you. Glad you don't include OSAS. I agree that Jesus is the way, the truth and the life. You did quote the trinity.  There are Christians that believe in God the Father and God the Son, but believe the holy spirit is their spirit and power but not an individual God.  Would that make them a cult? If so, Why? Just curious. I am just very slow to label things. So I am slow to label "cults", etc... So many use labels as condemnations to make themselves feel more secure. I always use caution in such things. I declare Christ by uplifting, not by attacking. The term "cult" is definitely attacking. Much like what I see in politics.... if your point is valid what can't politicians state it without attacking the individual that disagrees? When it comes to beliefs in the Lord Jesus (which has to be the central belief), then why does water baptism, sprinkling, OSAS, etc... have to be so vehemently defended or attacked or labeled of a "cult"?  It is just an open question, you clearly did not state that.  I liked the humor of your last sentence. Ahhh... heaven. The Lord did say he was going to prepare a place for us...  perhaps he is having many separate rooms built? :rolleyes:

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,025
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,347
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

I also answered you in my JW'S topic.   A cult is any religion that deviates from the main doctrines of the Christian faith.

Also, cults usually have extra books besides the Bible as their authority.   In the case of JW's, they have their own translation Bible where they have translated certain words to fit their beliefs.

In the case of Scientology, where they will reprogram you for alot of money....their founder claims he was abducted by space aliens.   He also was quoted as saying religion was the best way to make money.   The higher one gets in their organization, the more strange things come out about their beliefs.

• Thumbs Up 1