• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

"It is Well with my Soul"

I won't tell you the story about how and why that hymn came about. It's easily found running a Google search. I will say it brought a once hard man to tears and appreciation. The heart felt words of the hymn, knowing the back story and history; when on occasion we sing that hymnal in church, there best be some tissues around. To think a once hardened military man's heart would melt to butter...

• This is Worthy 1

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Days Won:  194

On 9/2/2019 at 8:10 AM, Dennis1209 said:

"It is Well with my Soul"

I won't tell you the story about how and why that hymn came about. It's easily found running a Google search. I will say it brought a once hard man to tears and appreciation. The heart felt words of the hymn, knowing the back story and history; when on occasion we sing that hymnal in church, there best be some tissues around. To think a once hardened military man's heart would melt to butter...

@Dennis1209 :)Thanks so much for sharing this.

And I decided to post the touching events that led up to the writing of this wonderful hymn.

The Story Behind The Hymn "It Is Well With My soul"

Horatio Spafford was a wealthy Chicago lawyer in the 1860’s. He had a vibrant law practice. He owned also many properties along the Chicago lakefront. He had five children, four daughters and a son, and everything one could imagine in this life. He was also a strong Christian believer involved in the reform and abolition movements.

The events leading up to the writing of the lyrics began with his son who contracted Scarlet Fever. Today Scarlet Fever is a highly treatable disease, but not in those times. Horatio Spafford’s only son died. The Spaffords were devastated.

Their faith was tested further the following year, in 1871, when the Great Chicago Fire swept through the city. The fire leveled much of the city, killing 250 people and leaving 90,000 people homeless. Spafford did not escape the damage. He lost most of his real estate holdings, though his home and family were spared. Financially depleted, the Spaffords used their remaining resources to feed the hungry, help the homeless, care for the sick and injured and comfort their grief stricken neighbors.

In 1873, with Anna’s health declining, the Spaffords planned a trip to England for some respite and to participate in a revival being held by Dwight L. Moody. The day before departure, however, Horatio was required to tend to a business emergency. Not wanting to disappoint his family, he sent them on ahead, planning to follow on a later ship.

On November 22, 1873, the steamer Ville du Havre was struck by a British iron sailing ship. The Ville du Havre sunk in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. It sunk in all of  12 minutes.

The British sailing ship, though in distress itself, managed to save 81 of the 307 passengers. Another ship, the Trimountain, rescued the survivors from the sinking British vessel, including Anna Spafford.

Anna was found unconscious on some floating debris. She had been sucked down violently in a whirlpool caused by the rapidly sinking ship, pummeled by debris and separated from her daughters. She was taken, bruised, sick and heartbroken, to Cardiff.

That evening she telegraphed Horatio, “Saved alone. What shall I do….”

Their daughters perished, and they were childless. They lost their their fortune and five children in three years.

Upon receiving the telegram, Horatio Spafford left Chicago to go to his grieving wife. As his ship passed the area where her ship had sunk, the captain called Horatio to the bridge. Later that night, Horatio Spafford wrote the words to the well-known hymn:  It is Well with My Soul.

The song is inspiring in its uplifting message of God’s great love and assurance of salvation. That these lyrics were penned after three years of unimaginable loss and misfortune – and right after the tragic loss of his four daughters – is testament to a heart that is anchored in God’s eternal love.

While Horatio resigned himself to God, Anna was utterly devastated. The other survivors watched her closely, fearing she would take her own life.

One day, however, Anna said she heard a soft voice speaking to her, “You were saved for a purpose!” She recalled in that moment something a friend said to her, “It’s easy to be grateful and good when you have so much, but take care that you are not a fair-weather friend to God.”

Anna joined Horatio in drawing close again to God. The Spaffords spent the rest of their lives living in faith. They had three more children, one of whom also died young of Scarlet Fever.

Many years later, Bertha Spafford Vester, the youngest child of Horatio and Anna Spafford, wrote  these words about her father:

In Chicago, Father searched his life for explanation. Until now, it had flowed gently as a river. Spiritual peace and worldly security had sustained his early years, his family life and his home……. All around him people were asking the unvoiced question; ‘What guilt had brought this sweeping tragedy to Anna and Horatio Spafford?’…. Father became convinced that God was kind and that he would see his children again in heaven. This thought calmed his heart, but it was to bring Father into open conflict with what was then the Christian world…. To Father, this was a passing through the “valley of the shadow of death,” but his faith came through triumphant and strong. On the high seas, near the place where his children perished, he wrote the hymn that was to give comfort to so many.

• Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 3

"It Is Well With My Soul" Lyrics

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well with my soul.

Refrain:
It is well with my soul,
It is well, it is well with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ hath regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

My sin—oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!—
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:
If Jordan above me shall roll,
No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life
Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.

But, Lord, ’tis for Thee, for Thy coming we wait,
The sky, not the grave, is our goal;
Oh, trump of the angel! Oh, voice of the Lord!
Blessed hope, blessed rest of my soul!

And Lord, haste the day when the faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.

• Loved it! 2
  • Praise God! 2

There is a hymn called "Where He leads me I will follow." It was written by Ernest W. Blandy in 1890

Subjects: Loyalty, Consecration

Scripture: John 10:27; Mark 8:34

I discovered an interesting article about it. Here it is-

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 21, 2018

WHERE HE LEADS ME I WILL FOLLOW

1200381623_Jesuscalleddisciples.jpg.d4e4445b42c2645adadc68963b2990c5.jpgOften hymns bring back memories from my childhood, especially some of the old hymns that we no longer sing in church.   I recall prayer meetings when it was common for those in the congregation to start choruses and hymns that were then sung by those in attendance without books or a piano.  The same was true of baptisms held in a river when we would sing as friends were baptized.  And one of those hymns that was sung so often at those times is  "I Can Hear My Savior Calling". 

This hymn is said to have been written in 1890 by a Ernest W. Blandy.  But the inspiration for this hymn actually began years before at the Sea of Galilee. As Jesus was walking by (see Matthew 4:18-21) He saw two fishermen, Andrew and his brother Peter, throwing their nets into the sea trying to catch their day's supply of fish. Andrew heard Jesus talking to Simon Peter, "Come, follow Me, and I will show you how to fish for people!"

Perhaps Peter thought, "How can we fish for people? We are just plain, simple fishermen putting out our nets in the sea every day, spending many hours by the sea.  Peter might have said, "We can't follow You; we have so many things to do and to take care of. Don't you know we are so very busy?" 

But Andrew and Simon Peter found themselves responding as though something inside them quickened their reply. Truly it was the gentle but firm nudge of the Holy Spirit.  Often it only takes a second to know the voice of God!  Immediately, Peter and Andrew left their nets and followed Jesus. 

Then Jesus saw two more brothers, James and John, the sons of Zebedee. They both were in a boat mending their nets.  Jesus called out the same words and Immediately both James and John found themselves dropping their nets, and climbing out of their boat. They left their boat and their father, who was also in the boat, and followed Jesus.  And their obedience and sacrifice helped spread the Gospel. 

Do we sense that same Holy Spirit inside our own soul calling us, drawing us to "Come and follow Jesus"?  The eternal future of people around the world is affected by the response that Christians make when they hear His voice. 

In his simple hymn, Blandy shared several steps in the commitment to follow ... "I can hear my Savior calling"... "I'll go with Him all the way" ... "I'll go with Him through the garden" ... "I'll go with Him to dark Calvary" ... "I'll go with Him through the judgment".  Can you sing those words and really mean them?  Blandy concludes with the promise, "He will give me grace and glory, And go with me, with me, all the way". 

What a precious promise and truth to those who respond to His call.  Is He calling you today?  Will you respond "Where He leads me I will follow"?

1.     I can hear my Savior calling,
I can hear my Savior calling,
I can hear my Savior calling,
"Take thy cross and follow, follow Me."
Refrain:
Where He leads me I will follow,
I
2.     I''ll go with Him, with Him all the way.
I'll go with Him through the waters,
I'll go with Him, with Him all the way. Refrain
I
3.     I'll go with Him through the garden,
I'll go with Him through the garden,
I'll go with Him through the garden,

4.    I'll go with Him to dark Calv'ry,
I'll go with Him to dark Calv'ry,
I'll go with Him to dark Calv'ry,
I'll go with Him, with Him all the way.  Refrain

5.    I'll go with Him to the judgment,
I'll go with Him to the judgment,
I'll go with Him to the judgment,

6.     He will give me grace and glory,
He will give me grace and glory,
He will give me grace and glory,
And go with me, with me all the way.  Refrain
Edited by turtletwo
added picture
  • Praise God! 3

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

Here's a repost of the story and hymn called, "Just As I Am". One that was used as an altar call in the church I spent my early childhood years in. It always brings back fond memories. 

In 1828, at the age of 32, Charlotte Elliott suffered a serious illness that left her a semi-invalid. This caused depression, and within the year she experienced a severe spiritual crisis. Swiss evangelist Henry A. Cesàr Malan was visiting her family, and she confessed to him that she didn’t know how to come to Christ. His famous response was, “Come to him just as you are.” Her depression continued, however. One night, twelve years later, she lay awake, distressed by her uselessness as an invalid, and by doubts of her spiritual life. The next day, as she reflected on the previous night, she decided she needed to meet her spiritual troubles head on and conquer them by the grace of God. So she “gathered up in her soul the grand certainties, not of her emotions, but of her salvation: her Lord, His power, His promise” (Lutheran Hymnal Handbook). She took up pen and paper, and wrote down her own “formulae of faith,” remembering those words of the visiting evangelist. In the end she had the text “Just as I am, without one plea.” Her rule of faith has since become a comfort to millions, and we join with all Christians who experience doubt and uncertainty in their faith when we declare that Christ invites us to come to Him, just as we are.

Original Lyrics from Charlotte Elliot, 1835

Just as I am - without one plea,
But that Thy blood was shed for me,
And that Thou bidst me come to Thee,
-O Lamb of God, I come!

Just as I am - and waiting not
To rid my soul of one dark blot,
To Thee, whose blood can cleanse each spot,
-O Lamb of God, I come!

Just as I am - though toss'd about
With many a conflict, many a doubt,
Fightings and fears within, without,
-O Lamb of God, I come!

Just as I am - poor, wretched, blind;
Sight, riches, healing of the mind,
Yea, all I need, in Thee to find,
-O Lamb of God, I come!

Just as I am - Thou wilt receive,
Wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve;
Because Thy promise I believe,
-O Lamb of God, I come!

Just as I am - Thy love unknown
Has broken every barrier down;
Now to be Thine, yea, Thine alone,
-O Lamb of God, I come!

Just as I am - of that free love
The breadth, length, depth, and height to prove
Here for a season, then above,
-O Lamb of God, I come

• This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 2
  • Praise God! 1

22 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

Here's a repost of the story and hymn called, "Just As I Am". One that was used as an altar call in the church I spent my early childhood years in. It always brings back fond memories. 

@BeauJangles :) Wonderful hymn! One of my favorites. Thanks for sharing your own story with it, as well as how it came to be written. I had not heard the history behind it until now. God bless you, brother.

• Praise God! 2

I love doing this. I research origins of hymns. There are so many inspiring people who were moved to write wonderful hymns to encourage us. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

17 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

I love doing this. I research origins of hymns. There are so many inspiring people who were moved to write wonderful hymns to encourage us. 

I was one who just followed the program and sang the hymn's, never bothered to look at the top of the hymnal to see whom wrote it or put it to music. A few years ago [November 2016 to be exact] when I sincerely repented and my Lord drew me back to His flock, drastic changes occurred in me. A number of hymn's pierced my emotional soul and touched me deeply to the point of uncontrollable appreciation and love. I wanted to know more about who wrote the hymn(s) and the back story, so I wrote the names of the writers / composers down on our church bulletin and researched it. Many of our hymns have back stories and testimonies that are so inspiring, encouraged me and put me in awe and the peace that comes from a wonderful and loving personal Lord and Savior. I believe such hymns are inspired from the heart of our Lord God and are a vital part of our worship to Him. I now have a deeper appreciation and better understanding of the songs and music recorded in our Bibles. Previously I would normally speed read through those parts that dealt with music and singing to the Lord; oh what an unfortunate thing to do and the blessings missed. 

• This is Worthy 1

15 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

I was one who just followed the program and sang the hymn's, never bothered to look at the top of the hymnal to see whom wrote it or put it to music. A few years ago [November 2016 to be exact] when I sincerely repented and my Lord drew me back to His flock, drastic changes occurred in me. A number of hymn's pierced my emotional soul and touched me deeply to the point of uncontrollable appreciation and love. I wanted to know more about who wrote the hymn(s) and the back story, so I wrote the names of the writers / composers down on our church bulletin and researched it. Many of our hymns have back stories and testimonies that are so inspiring, encouraged me and put me in awe and the peace that comes from a wonderful and loving personal Lord and Savior. I believe such hymns are inspired from the heart of our Lord God and are a vital part of our worship to Him. I now have a deeper appreciation and better understanding of the songs and music recorded in our Bibles. Previously I would normally speed read through those parts that dealt with music and singing to the Lord; oh what an unfortunate thing to do and the blessings missed. 

Dennis

I think exactly as you do and very much same happened to me. As a new Christian at first i sang. As time went by i wondered who wrote each hymn. Such power and beauty of words that help us all to worship so deeply. I began collecting hymn books and researching the writers and background of who and how written. 

Just one example, Amazing Grace. Look who wrote it and how his life had been transformed before the inspiration came to him! Yes God himself inspires hymns. I often read hymns as my prayers. There is such power in the inspired words. 

• 2 weeks later...

WHERE HE LEADS I'LL FOLLOW

We live in a sad age when increasingly more and more members of our society, including believers, are becoming followers of all sorts of folks and philosophies.  The internet in particular has allowed people through blogs and social media to regularly follow politicians, entertainment stars, athletes, religious speakers and all sorts of organizations.  And, in so many cases, people just accept what they read without even questioning it.

We need discernment like never before.   There is only one person who has the truth.  Jesus said "I am the way, the truth and the life."  And the Apostle Peter states that Christ has left us an example, "that you should follow in His steps" (I Peter 2:21). There is no need to be in the dark if we will accompany the One who declared, "I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life" (John 8:12).

Nineteen times the Gospel writers record the words of the Lord Jesus, "Follow Me" (for example Matthew 4:19).  And that is the theme of this hymn that should remind each believer of the need to follow Christ daily in all that we do.

William A. Ogden (1841-1897) is said to have been a musical prodigy.  He began studying music at the age of eight and could read church music by ten.  He could write a melody by hearing it sung or played and when he was 18 he became a choir director in his church. 

Through his adult life he enjoyed working with children and teaching them music.  With the outbreak of the Civil War he enlisted in the 30th Indiana Volunteer Infantry.  During the war years he organized a male choir which became known throughout the Army of the Cumberland.  

After the war he resumed his study of music under some of the most prominent musicians of the day.  In 1870, Mr. Ogden published his first song book, called Silver Songs.  The book became very popular, and sold five hundred thousand copies in England alone.   Over the years, William Ogden taught music, not only in the United States, but in Canada as well, and he wrote and published many gospel songs. 

I don't know what led him to write this hymn, but he penned the words and added the tune in 1885.  The hymn reminds us of why we should follow Christ.

Stanza one says that we should because of His message which is sweet, kind, dear and pure - the great example and pattern for us.  Stanza two says we should follow Him because of His love.  In stanza three we are reminded that we should follow Him because of the rest that He gives. "Weary, heavy-laden, there is sweet rest for thee." "Lean upon the Savior and thy soul is secure."  The chorus reminds us of the need to follow Jesus everywhere and at every time. "Where He leads I'll follow, Follow all the way; Where He leads I'll follow, Follow Jesus every day." 

Jesus not only died for our sins and rose again to declare His divine Sonship, but He lived a perfect life as an example of how God wants His children to live. Therefore, it should be our determination, throughout our entire life on earth that, "Where He Leads, I'll Follow."  Is that your desire and prayer?

1     Sweet are the promises, Kind is the word,
Dearer far than any message man ever heard;
Pure was the mind of Christ, Sinless I see;
He the great example is, and pattern for me.
Where He leads I'll follow,
Follow all the way.
Follow Jesus ev'ry day.

2     Sweet is the tender love Jesus hath shown,
Sweeter far than any love that mortals have known;
Kind to the erring one, Faithful is He;
He the great example is, and pattern for me. 
Follow all the way.
Follow Jesus ev'ry day.

3     List' to His loving words, "Come unto Me;"
Weary, heavy-laden, there is sweet rest for thee;
Trust in His promises, Faithful and sure;
Lean upon the Savior, and thy soul is secure. 
Follow all the way.
Follow Jesus ev'ry day.

:)Click on the link above to hear this lovely hymn.
Edited by turtletwo
adding link to the video
  • This is Worthy 1