Coliseum

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,123
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0

There are many ridiculous claims. Most are not true. But simply because most are not true does not mean that all are not true. Nor does it mean that because I make a ridiculous claim to you that it is not true for me. When I was eight years old, I found a $50.00 bill. I buried it because I was into buried treasures. I told my best friend where I buried it and asked if he wanted to see for himself. Of course he did. So after I dug it up and reburied it, I told him not to tell anyone. It would be our secret. He agreed. But after he left, I figured he would tell others, so I dug it back up and held onto it. The next day, he and three others went to the site to dig up the treasure. It was not there. To the three he brought with him, he was a liar. Was it ever there? Sure it was. Simply because someone has no proof available does not mean it did not happen. To the three that were told of the buried treasure, it was a ridiculous claim. But to me and my friend, we knew differently.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,569
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

None the less there is but one truth, not many.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life.

• Thumbs Up 2

If your assumption is regarding salvation, I agree; but the comment never mentioned salvation---nor was it my intention. Look at the many different ways the Gospel writers described the same truths. They shared what they saw in their own way. They did not describe a different way, but chose different words to echo the same event. My comment had nothing to do with salvation, but about one true event which took place described by different people. 

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,605
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

The Gospel illuminates the Tanach. These people were very well read, especially the Hebrew scriptures. There are re-purposed quotes from the Tanach all over the apostles writings. They drop bread-crumbs everywhere.

So it is that much truth is hidden in the Gospel writings from those that do not study the Tanach well. After all, there were no newspapers or TV etc., in the apostles era. They read commentaries and Qumran writings plus a whole slew of stuff we do not know about. The new testament is a commentary on the old and reveals much of God's mind and goals.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

Ridiculous Claims

Sooo... Is this where someone is supposed to input some ridiculous claim, or post some kind of claim along these lines? I'm not quite sure where this is supposed to go, or even what relevant purpose it is. Just for the record on the storylines of the OP, the largest amount of money I've ever come across, was a single dollar bill while taking a morning stroll. It was pretty wet, by the way. Okay, next.  

@BeauJangles

Glad you asked. Sometimes men reveal things which are true, but because all of the facts are not known to them, they draw a wrong conclusion. You will see this if you reread my original comment. Many atheists, for example, are good at doing just that. They hear bits and pieces of information, and believe that that is sufficient to come to a right end.

Edited by Coliseum

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

1 minute ago, Coliseum said:

Sometimes men reveal things which are true, but because all of the facts are not known to them, they draw a wrong conclusion. You will see this if you reread my original comment. Atheists, for example, are good at doing just that.

Sorry, but I didn't quite catch anything to do with atheism there. My mistake. 

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  50
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  02/14/1948

I guess the most ridiculous claims I've ever heard were from some of the "Health and Wealth" false prophets... (profits)?  LOL.  

Another one was from a preacher at a church we attended.  He said:  "Ann's Alzheimer's is from a demonic presence in her.  If she truly believes she can be healed, she will be healed".    It took every ounce of restraint I had to keep from punching this idiot. 

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

Coliseum, I'm with BeauJangles on this one, I don't know what you're trying to say. I'm wondering if you're confused that the 3 synoptic gospels don't agree on every little detail. Is this what's behind your story?

@JTC

Let me see if I can describe it a different way. Let me make my case. 

A cat is positioned in a room. Four men, blindfolded, who have never seen a cat, are brought in. Each one is led to each of the four extremes around the cat. One man stands at the head, another the tail, another one side, and the last man at the opposite side. The blindfold is removed, and each man describes what he sees when he looks at the stationary cat. The first describes the head, but cannot see the other three sides. Another describes the tail, but cannot see the other three sides. And so on...

Each man sees the truth about what he describes---but not the whole truth.  For that to happen, he would have to walk around the cat. Only God can do that in every person's circumstances. Only God knows the whole truth, even though we "see dimly" parts of it. Remember, this comment was not about salvation. 

Certainly we can speculate about the whole truth about the affairs in our lives, but we will not know absolutely. In my original comment, three people were given the truth, but because none of them knew all of it, they came to a wrong conclusion.  

Every person in all of their responses came to a different determination about what I stated in my original comment---validating exactly my point! Every single person read the identical words, and each saw something unique, from their own perspective. Two people who see two ones next to each other---one will claim the total is two. Another will insist it is eleven.