• Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,622
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi all,

Halloween:

Hate it, always have hated it!

It traumatized me as a young child of about three or four years old and then again later as a fourth grade elementary school student at public school. It affected  the entirety of my educational years at primary schools.

At age three or four My mother made a costume for me. Sacrificing of her time and hard to come by cash to make it. I wanted a sheet and to be a ghost. She made a most elaborately detailed black tuxedo with white shirt and cummerbund with black bowtie for me.

I looked like something from a Fred Astaire movie. I was terrorized. All the other kids, well they will have sheets, and I will be Fred Astaire?

My mom took a picture of me that survives to this day. Me  with a  pressed paper orange pumpkin made to hold  treats, in my tuxedo  with my black eye mask on. She is kneeling beside me very pleased with me and my look. Augh! My look, double augh! 

Later at age  eight ( I was younger than the others), I was in fourth grade at a new to me school in a new town knowing no one yet,  the school  PA system was announcing the event for tomorrow at school. Costumes  to be worn for halloween and the exchanging candies. I thought oh, oh, I am not prepared, I will stick out without a costume and no candy to share. I told my mother of this and she went to work, made another elaborate costume, a clown with - well it looked much like Bozo the Clown, and she got candy too. So I was readied for tomorrow.

Tomorrow came, that Thursday. I saw lots of kids in costumes coming  to school. I was okay with my clown suit, well kind of okay anyway, and sat down  in my class room desk/seat only to look up and see that I was the only one. The only one! In a costume.

The kids laughed and giggled. The teacher said  to me the costumes and candy are only for grades one two and three, the older kids do not like to do the costumes so the upper grades  fourth five and six do not do it at all. But you can stay  in costume today, don't let it bother you. Oh great, and I am Bozo-ed really good aren't I?

I quickly decided; no way am I sitting here  until three thirty being ridiculous looking and being made fun of for the day. I sure am not going outside for recess in this rig. I raised my hand and said I need to go to the boys room and left school, didn't even take the trolly home I walked fast as I could avoiding all people and didn't return  to school on Friday either.

That I think was the start of my public school career of not quit hearing accurately what was coming over the morning PA system, the  "announcements". Something that got me in trouble often. I did learn to pay attention to the list of students that were to report to the Boys Dean for detention and counseling. It was always alphabetical except for my name. All the Italian Kids were listed first, then my name was always added at the end as though it was for special emphasis. I never got out of school before five pm,  that was when detention hall ended.  

And all because of Halloween!

But; by the grace and mercy of God alone I am ever so grateful for my life, even the trauma  of costumes I have had to wear, as I have been  saved,  born again  now a Christian that can laugh at the many real and serious traumas of life, plus  even the silly one's as I cling safely onto the surety that is Christ Jesus.

Praise God He is awesome and so good, so good to me.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  536
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  0

@Neighbor

nice to read more of your adventures.  I would have clicked "well said", but then the forum members that are very understandably concerned about the demonic influences of halloween would have the opportunity to think I was taking an opposing view.

The thing I did not like about your story:  your references to your great mother made me realize how much I miss my great mother.

Good account.

Edited by lftc
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

It extremely difficult in the minds of most children to view receiving free candy to be a bad thing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

4 minutes ago, Abby-Joy said:

I'm sure those parents whose children went missing during this time wish they could go back and be more aware of the truth, and do things differently. 

I fully understand. There are some really horrible true stories of how some children have been the unfortunate victims of razor blades and pins inside caramel or candy apples, back in the days when parents were far too trusting in their surrounding neighbors to be kind. Candies have also been poisoned with deadly toxins, and drugs such as LSD. Just tragic. 

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  957
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,622
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

6 hours ago, Abby-Joy said:

I think it's disgusting to make light of something that is truly evil. While people make fun, children are being abducted, held and tortured, and then sacrificed. Nice.... exactly what God's people should be doing... deliberately blind... sarcasm intended ... I still love my brothers and sisters, but this is disgusting...

I suggest that Evil takes no holiday. It does not wait  for Easter, nor Fourth of July ( USA), Halloween, Nor Christmas and New year.  Evil is a 24/7 enterprise. To think that if individuals did not have festivals of one kind or another evil would go away is silly at best. 

For example; the safety caps on every food or medicinal product  one buys today is not the result of Halloween, it is the result of a whole series of evil individuals tampering with over the counter medicines and food stuffs year round day in and day out.

To blame a time of year, any festival, for what evil does regardless every day, is folly. For evil counterfeits all things good  trying to put fear into the heart of those that should know better than to panic and run around posting of one fear after another, saying all has an evil beginning or evil hidden meaning.

Christians  really should not be so gullible as to do the work of evil's desire by caving into their own fear and then championing that very fear by trying to spread it far and wide.

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Great conversation.

Talking about demonic activity I found this article pretty insightful.

http://www.sunrisegospelzone.com/index.php/blog/demonology-101-what-you-should-know-about-dark-spirits

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

12 hours ago, Neighbor said:

All the other kids, well they will have sheets, and I will be Fred Astaire?

Okay well this is what happen to me.  I wanted to be something scary. I mean it was Halloween after all. . I never got to pick out my custom. So I did not know what I was going to end up being until mother got back from the store.  This was in the 70's. And mother did not have time to make anything homemade. So I got one of them boxes with a plastic custom and a mask.  First grade mother picked me out a happy clown custom. I was not happy with my happy clown custom.  I told her I hated it and I wanted to be something scary. She said I bought so you wearing or go without. So I wore it.  Then another year, she came home with a Strawberry Shortcake costume. "Really mom? Do you not know what scary means?"  So I had to be  Strawberry Shortcake.  So yeah. I have some unhappy Halloween memories too. :happyhappy:

Edited by LadyKay

(sigh) Look. It is a few days till Halloween.  Then we can argue about Christmas. As I say, if you don't like Halloween, don't take part. The same thing I say about Christmas. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Abby-Joy said:

AND the gullible church both participating in worship of him on these "high holy days"

I have never worshiped satan on any day. Holiday or other wise. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,244
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

I was asked today if I was ready for halloween.  I replied that I don't celebrate it.  She looked shocked so I elaborated that I don't like to celebrate evil.  She said she agreed when I put it that way.

• This is Worthy 1