IGNORED

Does someone who is saved need to confess the sins they committed before they were saved?

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  115
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0

Does someone who is saved need to confess the sins they committed before they were saved?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

They need to confess they are a sinner in need for the Atonement of the LORD Jesus Christ..

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.54
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

7 minutes ago, Lee_ said:

Lee---it is not a mechanical thing. Its a heart thing. When the Lord takes up dwelling in you--there is a real change and the heart of that one naturally confesses to the Lord because there is a new awareness of sin, but it isn't a mechanical thing where one ticks off a list of sins. At the moment that we are 'In Christ', the blood washes away all of our sins and when the Father looks at us--He sees the righteousness of Christ. This is the Gift of Salvation.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

If you can remember them, I think it is spiritually healthy to take pre-saved sins to God  - as @Alive says, NOT to tick off a list.  But to bind your heart closer to him and let God heal you of possible guilt, shame, or temptation to repeat them.

I have confessed to God some sins from decades ago for these reasons.  Not to be saved, but to endure a sanctification process.

No one - absolutely no one can remember all their individual sins from  their whole life.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.88
  • Days Won:  5

1 hour ago, Lee_ said:

It can’t hurt  anything but don’t be surprised when God says “ What Sins?” If you are a Believer , God Promises to “ remember your sins NO MORE”......He does this “ for His own sake”

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.31
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

3 hours ago, Lee_ said:

You will have to be honest with the Lord. I don't think you have to confess anything to us.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

4 hours ago, Lee_ said:

When the Christian is judged at the Bema Seat Judment or the Judgment Seat of Christ they are judged for what they have done after they have asked Jesus Christ into their life not what they did before they became a Chrisitian. You ask for forgivness of your sins to Jesus Christ no one else. 

Edited by missmuffet

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

22 hours ago, Lee_ said:

Depends. Are you the one who found my five dollars?

J/K

It really does depend. God is the one we ultimately sin against. Period.

King David who committed adultery with another man's wife, tried to cover it up, and then had the man murdered

when the cover up didn't work confessed this:

Psalm 51:4 (AV)
4 Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest.

With that in mind...

1 John 1:9 (AV)
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

The language of this text is POST conversion to Christ. The full context is 1 John 1:5 - 1 John 2:17 (which I recommend be read in a single reading 

together as a passage of scripture... and that we read it over and over until it sinks in that God is not grading on the sin curve in the New Covenant

as he was in the Old).

Also bear in mind...

James 5:16 (AV)
16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

This could be about relationships... about someone you slighted... or to ease a guilty conscience (that confession to God does not make go away)... it could be

James is telling us not to be so sanctimonious (as though our faults and sins are any less than everyone else's). ← that's the one I trust is the correct interpretation.

Sometimes certain scriptures mean different things to different folks (so long as it is not a foundational truth / doctrine / dogma of the Holy Spirit, of course) then it

comes under the heading of working out your own salvation (details of your own walk with Christ...  Philippians 2:12) and whether or not eating meat is a sin TO YOU or not... (1 Corinthians 8) that sort of thing.

In your case, you have to ask which of these confession of your sin is about.

Sometimes our guilty consciences nag us over something that has been forgiven

or that we can no longer do anything about (to fix etc.) and God's forgiveness just

doesn't seem to be enough... or we don't trust God (exactly) that it is truly forgiven

and that it is truly over...

That's a faith issue. Trust God. Believe God. The simplest truth is the hardest for us to do it seems.

Just believe God. Just trust God. ← That is what made David a man after God's own heart. He trusted

God implicitly. Any failings, any breaking of the Law (like eating the shew bread which Jesus pointed out

David trusted God to forgive / make up the difference for his short comings.

So should we all!

Trust God.

Believe IN God Believe IN Christ? Words all through the faith but we add the word IN and we lose the root

meaning of the phrase: Trust God. Believe God. Believe Christ.

One more thing,

our sin nature / human nature will accompany us up to the grave (or we are changed upon the Lord's return).

Beware of it.

It will entice us to sin, untruth, confusion, self destruction, evil towards others...

This is why we are to discipline our fleshly natures and keep a prison guard watch on our own flesh at all times...

and to live by the spirit, which is the conduit of the Holy Spirit in our lives once we believe Jesus.

Our flesh and the devil who uses our sin nature as a pipeline into our heads (you've heard the expression "get out of my head..."

that's what this is about since the devil cannot actually enter or possess a Christian because the Holy Spirit has taken up residence

in our spirit).

I once read on a bumper sticker "If the devil reminds you of your past... remind him of his future."

I do not recommend actually talking to the devil (read Jude 9  and Acts 19: 13-16)

but the point of the bumper sticker is clear.

If you have someone you must confess to in order to make things right... then

by all means do so.

And be willing to live with the consequences.

Sometimes saying you're sorry means nothing to the one we offended / hurt / betrayed.

But getting it over with when your conscience won't be soothed or our victim will find out eventually anyway

is best to get it over with.

God speed!

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  693
  • Content Per Day:  0.42

On 1/25/2020 at 9:38 AM, Lee_ said:

To G-d?  Yes of course.  You need to confess and repent to G-d. 

Additionally, if you harmed someone, and especially if they know it, then you need to confess and ask forgiveness to them as well.

The only time you don't need to confess directly to a person... and this is just my opinion on this....  is if they don't know.

Example:    You said something behind someone's back, that caused another person to not get a promotion.    That person has no idea what is going on, and no idea you were involved.

"I'm a Christian now, and I said all kinds of terrible things about you, to make sure you didn't get promoted.  I regret it.  Please forgive me".

You might feel better, but now the other person feels terrible, doesn't like you, and doesn't like Jesus Christ.

I would instead, repent before G-d, and never mention this again.

Example:  You said something that caused another person to not get a promotion, and this other person knows it, and is bitter against you for doing it.

"I'm a Christian now, and I said all kinds of terrible things about you, to make sure you didn't get promoted.  I regret it.  Please forgive me".

He already knew you had done this, and now you have come clean.   There is no guarantee he will accept it, but he will know that is is because of you becoming a Christian, that changed your behavior.

Do you see the difference?

Another one particularly with men, is they see an attractive woman, and think bad thoughts.  You don't then go running to the woman, and saying these bad thoughts, and asking for repentance.  This is a horrible idea, and will cause all kinds of problems.

Now if the woman knows, because she has asked you to leave her alone, at the very most you can send a note apologizing and saying it will not happen again.

But if she has no idea, then you just repent to G-d for your evil, and leave her out of it.

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  115
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

I think you might still need to confess to someone if you said something behind their back that caused them to not get promoted, unless it was something that was legitimate, like something about them not being competent for the position. If you said something legitimate in a nasty way then that is something that maybe you would not confess to that person, in my opinion.