Why angry with God?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  350
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,515
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

I don't recall ever being angry with God, my Lord and Savior. In my back sliding years, I was angry many, many times; and I blamed by "circumstances" and predicaments on my sin, myself and bad choices and decisions.

It seems to me, anger is the result of expectations not met and extreme dissatisfaction of ones circumstances. In my carnal life anyway, anger was brought about by habitual sin, poor choices and decisions. I suppose many non-believers don't want to point their finger at themselves as the cause and problem, but at the Lord. Look at the percentage of the population today that has the entitlement mentality, I'm owed.

Since I've repented and asked the Lord back into my life, sure, there's been times when I've started to become angry at the circumstances or situation I was facing or enduring. But these days, now when that hot button wants to get pushed real hard, I try to take a step back and think; I'm a Christian, I shouldn't let this temporary 'circumstance' anger me, anger destroys and is not healthy physically or spiritually. I'm a new man in Christ, the old me passed away. How does anger reflect on being an ambassador for Christ? I believe dealing with anger in a biblical way builds character, patience and you grow as a Christian. How can a Christian grow without testing, obstacles and challenges placed before them? I would sure like to have the patience of Job!

I don't have all the answers, but I know one thing:

Proverbs 3:5 (KJV) Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. 6. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.29
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

9 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

Why is anyone angry with God? 

I have many weaknesses and faults but, in all my tough times since i truly became a follower of Christ, i have never been angry with God. My overwhelming feeling is relief and gratefulness that no matter who lets me down or hurts me, i know i always have God to pray to and seek comfort from. I feel awe and respect that the Almighty God cares for me. 

Thus i cannot understand those who say they hate God for all the evil and suffering. The atheists who say this! I am very interested in their views. So are they saying He exists then but they choose to hate Him? If so, how arrogant and what misguided thinking. Or, how can they be angry with a non-existent God? 

Who are we to be angry at or curse God? At best it is futile and impotent. At worst it truly is the most dangerously bad thing one can do for our eternal destiny.

I know people who have cancer or who have ill loved ones who refuse to turn to God. Apparently because they blame Him for our worldly sufferings. So logically, do they think they should be spared? Do they think God singles certain people out for special suffering? So what would the fair way be to mete out suffering? 

I believe we were never promised endless ease and happiness. Life here contains the same chances for all. Bad and good will happen. Some is pure chance, other aspects we can certainly control. Health for instance is greatly a matter of our choices. If a person abuses their body by wrong diet, smoking and drinking, then suffering is likely. 

Why angry with God? I choose to fall on my knees and pray for His help every day. When things go well, i thank Him. I place my hopes in Him above all others. I believe it is a matter of spiritual maturity and true understanding. Which needs painful hard work daily to grow. It involves thinking and facing one's own attitudes. 

People make mistakes in their lives that bring in lots of trouble, and then they blame the Lord, maybe.

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,257
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

It doesn't help that the insurance policies refer to any natural disaster as "an act of God".  Some see our loving Father as being vengefully hateful and stern.  I think it can be transference from their relationship with their earthly fathers.  Others rebel when they pray for something and don't get their own way so they reject God.  It's a temper tantrum.   This is like the environmentalists who rejected Christianity because we didn't jump on the band wagon in the effort to save the whales etc.   

• Thumbs Up 2

• Topic Count:  350
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,515
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

5 minutes ago, Willa said:

It doesn't help that the insurance policies refer to any natural disaster as "an act of God".  Some see our loving Father as being vengefully hateful and stern.  I think it can be transference from their relationship with their earthly fathers.  Others rebel when they pray for something and don't get their own way so they reject God.  It's a temper tantrum.   This is like the environmentalists who rejected Christianity because we didn't jump on the band wagon in the effort to save the whales etc.   

Oxymoron: Atheist insurance company blaming disaster as 'act of God'. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,257
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

3 hours ago, Deeplytroubled said:

People can have reasons to be angry..often feeling like God wasn't responsive in their most troubling times. Or at all.

Speaking for myself here.

There have been times that I was hurting so bad that in my grief I couldn't hear the Comforter.

Anger is a part of grief for many people so they must blame someone.  They blame doctors, or parents or spouses;  sometimes they blame God.  Anger is more culturally acceptable than weeping for men.  Men also think they are expected to fix things and make it all right.  It is hard for them to deal with things they can't fix.  

It is also hard to come to the place where we trust that God is good, merciful, and righteous is spite of what happened.  He is the God Who raises the dead and can bring good out of disasters.  There have been times that I could see it and times I could not.  There are times I could trust and times I felt so forsaken and alone I could not.

There are some people who, because of childhood trauma, are unable to trust anyone (including God) when bad things happen.  Yet these are often the ones that God saves.  Others were told that if you have enough faith nothing bad will ever happen, you will get rich and be healed. This is false teaching and they make people feel like failures when that doesn't happen.  God didn't let them down, teachers did.  

• This is Worthy 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

8 minutes ago, DustyRoad said:

I'm not ashamed to admit that I've been angry with the Lord before. I'm not the only one; consider Jonah. Why should I deny the truth when Christ knows the secrets of our hearts? We need our Savior, He doesn't need us. God's ways are not our own --- they're higher than ours! (Isaiah 55: 8-9)

The Lord bless you for your honesty, @other one. You encourage me! Here's what I've learned over the past seven months: Jesus Christ isn't about to abandon me nor leave me for dead. Even when I don't understand what He's doing and in my ignorance, misery, and despair I cry out for Him to destroy me. Even when it's difficult to function because the winds are roaring outside... even when I was told that the lady didn't have much longer to live. 

Even when it seemed (to me) like the Lord raised me up only for destruction! I didn't understand that this work which Christ started in me is contrary to my understanding; abandoning that understanding is part of this narrow path the Lord placed me on. Learning these lessons are a life-long endeavor...

@Willa sums it up properly: anger at God is a temper tantrum. Our Father in heaven is merciful and so I learn a little more about this fact with each passing day, even when it was beyond my ability to understand. His Spirit conforms us to the image of His Son in whom we have redemption... salvation... forgiveness... love, and grace forevermore. Not just today, but every day into eternity. 

18119396_235358130278867_3603658415523086102_n.jpg

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

just a thought:

troubled water.jpg

• Topic Count:  962
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,716
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

From John's account of Jesus:

“If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you.  If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. Remember the word that I said to you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you. If they kept my word, they will also keep yours.  But all these things they will do to you on account of my name, because they do not know him who sent me.  If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not have been guilty of sin,[a] but now they have no excuse for their sin.  Whoever hates me hates my Father also.  If I had not done among them the works that no one else did, they would not be guilty of sin, but now they have seen and hated both me and my Father.  But the word that is written in their Law must be fulfilled: ‘They hated me without a cause.’