• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  157
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/20/1967

I read on various Christian sites and forums where some say once you are saved you never sin again and some say it is a process that gradually happens as the Holy spirit works in you, and some say you simply dont want to sin again once you are saved. Can any one clear this up for me? I'm having trouble finding things on the matter in scripture. I am a new follower and could use some sound input.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  2

5 minutes ago, Salvation67 said:

I read on various Christian sites and forums where some say once you are saved you never sin again and some say it is a process that gradually happens as the Holy spirit works in you, and some say you simply dont want to sin again once you are saved. Can any one clear this up for me? I'm having trouble finding things on the matter in scripture. I am a new follower and could use some sound input.

My opinion is that sins typically fit into one of three categories:  ignorance, immaturity, and spiritual injury.   Sins of ignorance are trivial things; God prompts us that something is unhealthy and we just stop doing it.  This might be through reading the Bible, listening to a sermon, hearing someone tell us something, or just a sense of right and wrong in our conscience.  Sins of immaturity gradually vanish over time as we spiritually grow.  This is when fruit of the Spirit (see Galatians 5:22-23) grows and manifests in our lives over time.   Then there are sins (often addictions or compulsive behaviors) that are symptoms of an underlying crippling emotional or spiritual injury that God needs to heal us from in some way.  This might be something miraculous in a moment that we are freed from or God might use a process over time involving other people such as friends, or a pastor or counselor.  

The important thing is to focus on what God wants you to change today.  Develop good spiritual disciplines in your life such as regular Bible reading and study, prayer and meditation, being with other Christians, and similar things.  Often we get focused on dealing with sin via the "new years resolution" method, we try very hard to change ourselves targeting what we think is most serious.  Learn how things such as Bible reading, prayer, fellowship, etc. best work in your life.  We are all different and what works well for one person may not work for another.   Listen and read about what other people do and then experiment to find what works best for you (which can change over time).  

As a new Christian, you are going to find that Christians tend to agree on the practical matters of what God does in our lives, but often disagree vehemently about theological explanations of how and why God does those things.   You will find some Christians are more concerned that you agree with their explanations more than if you are actually being transformed into the unique person God intends for you to be in Christ.  Over decades of watching Christians, I've found that the most important thing is the actual fruit exhibited in someone's life.  It's easy to talk the talk by quoting a bunch of Bible verses and spouting reams of theological jargon, but a deep and abiding and permanent transformation into a person for whom fruit of the Spirit (again see Gal 5:22-23) is an integral part of their life only comes with years of walking with God and being transformed.  With regard to sin in our lives, much of what you will hear is theoretical theology based on someone's opinions rather than actual practical guidance on healthy growth.  Some Christians have theological reasons to insist that "we all sin daily in thought, word, or deed" and can never escape sin but should always throw ourselves into a mostly losing battle fighting sin because it's the right thing to do.  Others have theological reasons why we should at some point be delivered from sin putting a heavy burden on people because they aren't finding perfect deliverance.   Sadly, many Christians will go so far as to denounce anyone who disagrees on these various explanations as being a heretic and perhaps not even being a Christian.  

The best explanation I have at this point is that sin is falling short of God's intentions for our lives.  I used to define this legalistically via a set of rules we fail to perfectly follow.  I now define it in this way.  God created each of us as unique individuals that are intended to reflect His glory in some way unique to each of us.  Before we come to Christ, we are a mixture of fallenness, imperfection, sin, and corruption along with some parts which are who God intended us to be.  Perhaps an example is a defaced work of art that amidst the damage still shows some of the Artist's original work.  Christ's atoning work sets us in right standing with God and then He starts the process of restoring that work of art to what He originally intended.  I used to constantly ask the question, "What does God want me to do?"  I'd then try very hard and then beat myself up for not being able to always follow through.   I learned that a much better question to answer is "Who does God want me to be?"   As we become who God wants us to be, our behaviors and thoughts naturally start to align in a healthy spiritual direction.  God's Spirit simply naturally flows through our lives.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,123
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

1 hour ago, Salvation67 said:

Hi S67,

First, nice to meet you. Glad we can all learn from one another. When you first start off as a believer, the Word of God can be pretty daunting, but as we read it, more and more stands out to us, and the Holy Spirit makes clearer and clearer what God is revealing. 

We all have a sin nature, including Christians. Before we accepted Christ, we accepted sin without realizing what it was, or its significance in our lives, but when we were saved, the Spirit of God opened our eyes to God's truth that, "We all fall short of the glory of God." We can't make it without Him. Jesus said, "Apart from me you can do nothing." Our sins will always be with us, so we must always go to the One who can help us overcome them. If we could do this by ourselves, Christ would never have needed to die on the cross.

As we grow in the Lord, we realize just how much He loves us and why, and the cost He paid to make us His. We no longer desire to stop sinning in some outwardly compliant way, but rather from the heart. Instead of it becoming a forced effort, it becomes a loving desire, and our joy reveals it. :)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Well Said! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.86
  • Days Won:  5

1 hour ago, Justin Adams said:

Please watch this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lflPOfjkc7k

Dr. Heiser explains Salvation. What it is and what is is not. Well worth watching.

Some get it ....others don’t .... This Dr. Heiser  guy “ really” gets it......what a great Sermon you have posted here....I pray that many view it and internalize it .....thanks  for the link !

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Brilliant! 1
  • Well Said! 1
  • Oy Vey! 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

4 hours ago, Salvation67 said:

If you are a born again believer in Jesus Christ you want to be obedient to Him. You want to do His will. If you know something is not going to bring glory to God you do not do it. But as humans we sin. We may not even be aware of our sin but it is not deliberate. Even going over the speed limit in our cars is a sin. An angry thought about a person is a sin. We will not be perfect until we get to heaven. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.94
  • Days Won:  21

Simple statement. Your Moral Perfection did not aid in your Salvation, thus your Moral Imperfection cannot take it away.

Edited by Justin Adams
  • Well Said! 1
  • Praise God! 3
  • Oy Vey! 1

• Steward

• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,465
  • Topics Per Day:  1.25
  • Content Count:  27,794
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  130
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

@Justin Adams  I moved your video to the video section ... be sure to relink to the video page on WCF to this thread.  :)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.48
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

5 hours ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

Some get it ....others don’t .... This Dr. Heiser  guy “ really” gets it......what a great Sermon you have posted here....I pray that many view it and internalize it .....thanks  for the link !

I agree. brother. A most excellent word!

Praise the Lord!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oy Vey! 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.29
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

7 hours ago, Salvation67 said:

Look at yourself. Are you perfect? First, people have to learn what sin is. Then they have to stop committing those sins.

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.29
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

6 minutes ago, Betha said:

most people commit sins either intentionally or UNintentional through ignorance, weakness, habits  etc  etc. and they catch us UNawares.  When we take GOD's definition of sin serious it narrows them down to the most important sin of all 1Joh 3v4 SIN IS the transgression of GOD's Law/Commandments.....one sure-fire way of coming to grips with them all.....stop breaking the Commandments/ Will of God ! Unless we start getting things right with God FIRST nothing else we do can be right ! because if we break one of the 10 the others will be broken and of no effect Jas  2v10,  11.  

GOD has to take priority over neighbour/man that is why HE is the FIRST Commandment....let us get our priorities right !!!

Sin is very specific things - adultery, stealing, things like that. We need to learn what sin is and stop doing it, because sin brings trouble into our lives.