copenhagen

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  78
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

I've watched portions of sermons by several megachurch pastors by now, and even though I've read about all of their scandals, their exploitation of gospel for their own financial gain, and their wanton license when it comes to quoting and interpreting scripture. Their reputations precede them. Nearly all of them have been exposed for unscrupulous behavior totally antithetical to actual Christian teachings. 

Yet, I still feel "entertained" by these pastors to a degree that almost never happens with local church pastors. With local pastors, I am often bored to the point that I check the clock with some frequency, or even begin to doze off. On more than a few occasions, I've become irritated because much of their sermon was so insubstantial or irrelevant that it could've been left out altogether as so much refuse. Yet, these local pastors are trying in their own awkward and bumbling way, to do the right thing and speak directly from scripture. 

I've searched far and wide for teachings which preach substance of Christianity in a compelling and I dare say entertaining or at least engaging manner and I rarely if ever find it. Should I just resign myself to slogging through sermons in this way? Sometimes I see fellow worshipers waving their hands about, even dancing, moved emotionally while I struggle to stay awake. Typically these are just a few in the front row who at least some, enjoy making a spectacle of themselves. Anyway, I will keep searching. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

After reading your threads and complaints about church, what stands out in this post is that you want to be entertained. Do you go to worship the Lord? Or are you going to see what you can get from church. You need to examine your motives for church. 

• Loved it! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.88
  • Days Won:  5

J.  Vernon McGee used to say this......” If the congregation is falling asleep- the “ Pastor” better wake up !”

• Haha 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  953
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,579
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

7 hours ago, copenhagen said:

Anyway, I will keep searching. 

Hi,

Do you engage in prayer for the speakers at churches you are visiting prior to their speaking?

Do you engage in praying for yourself to be of a positive mindset, and to be able to hear and heed the word  about to be shared with you?

Do you pray for the rest of the church body  in attendance? 

Do you pray to  be more aware of the presence of the Holy Spirit when the church body is gathered together in worship and in sharing of the word of God?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

13 hours ago, copenhagen said:

Sometimes I see fellow worshipers waving their hands about, even dancing, moved emotionally while I struggle to stay awake.

Are you going to bed on time?  Are you getting enough sleep?  I mean that could be the reason right there.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Hence the allure of mega churches. They are indeed very entertaining, which is why they are so popular-people loooove to have their ears tickled and will gladly believe a lie if it makes them feel good.

So I guess the question is, why do you want to go to church, to be entertained, or to worship God? A question only you can answer.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  277
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/23/1967

I had the blessing of working at a Bible camp summer after summer as a youth. Members of the crew were required to attend tabernacle (chapel) twice a day according to the schedules of whatever group was having their camp at the time (by ages, family camp, adult retreats, etc...)  I remember grumbling a bit one day on my way to tabernacle...something about how the speaker this weak was boring, and so on. An adult who overheard me gave me a gentle and wise rebuke, "If we come with the expectation that God is going to teach us/work in us when we come to hear teaching about His Word...we will."

I am so thankful for that attitude correction in my youth.

• Well Said! 1

On 2/24/2020 at 12:12 AM, copenhagen said:

these local pastors are trying in their own awkward and bumbling way, to do the right thing and speak directly from scripture

So sorry for you; to think that finding God's reveal of Jesus seen throughout all of the scriptures to contain that which is  insubstantial or irrelevant. That must be a terrible personal plight to suffer under.

Praying for God the Holy Spirit move to make understanding the relevance of scripture a very personal  enlightening experience for you, especially during corporate worship and teaching times. May you be lifted in spirit and enlightened. May you come to see application in your life for God's word shared with you and made provision for your life through the Holy Spirit. Amen.

On 2/24/2020 at 1:56 PM, The_Patriot2020 said:

Hence the allure of mega churches. They are indeed very entertaining, which is why they are so popular-people loooove to have their ears tickled and will gladly believe a lie if it makes them feel good.

To lump church bodies, and  their pastor/elders, into unfavorable categories based upon the large number of individuals have been led by God to attend, participate,  and receive the awesome  blessing of the corporate worship while learning together with the Holy spirit present, seems a bit of serious folly to me. 

On 2/24/2020 at 12:12 AM, copenhagen said:

I've watched portions of sermons by several megachurch pastors by now, and even though I've read about all of their scandals, their exploitation of gospel for their own financial gain, and their wanton license when it comes to quoting and interpreting scripture. Their reputations precede them. Nearly all of them have been exposed for unscrupulous behavior totally antithetical to actual Christian teachings. 

Large churches  = bad;  Small churches = bumbling boring pastors. Okay got it, neither large nor small church is just right.  

---------------------------------------

But, oh how glorious each is, for God is worshipped at each. Still  a few are not blessed nor content, never finding that perfect place,  the one whose size is "just right". Those type are like Goldilocks who ended up running through the woods screaming, never to be seen again.

For the bears Goldi's run into the woods was a blessed subtraction.

Never become like a Goldilocks, considered a blessing when she had gone away. Be a source of joy instead, a blessing to the congregation of brothers and sisters and a support to the pastor/elders,  be looked forward to seeing and sharing with by the congregation at each worship time, each prayer call, each service day. Be lifted up  and lift up a brother or sister joining in always in awe of God His mercy and blessing pouring out upon the church body; big, small, and just right always.