IGNORED

Can you find any examples in the New Testament where the Holy Spirit taught someone directly who was not an Apostle?s in the New Testament where the Holy Spirit taught someone directly who was not an Apostle?

Daniel Marsh

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,221
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/25/1961

Acts Ananias. Read how he talks to the lord. And the lord talking? Was the sweet holy Spirit. OT... Holy Spirit on the prophets. On and on. We will never get that voice to say.. OH wait.. this is not Christ.. nor the holy Spirit but GOD! Its always HIM! Unless Christ just shows up.. then.. duh.  Yet its always the one.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  2

Not sure I have what your looking for, but have a look at Acts 6 : 1 thru 7.  Verse 3 says they were full of the spirit and wisdom.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  956
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,610
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

8 hours ago, Neighbor said:

The Holy Spirit is God and Jesus Christ.

Not a problem, but I don't understand. What are you communicating?

Is not the Holy Spirit God the Holy Spirit a person of the trinity?

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,961
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

16 hours ago, Daniel Marsh said:

Can you find any examples in the New Testament where the Holy Spirit taught someone directly who was not an Apostle?

1.The Saints at Ephesus:
Eph 4:20-21
(20)  But you have not so learned Christ;
(21)  If so be that you have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:

From Matthew Henry's Commentary Eph 4:20-21

“You have not so learned Christianity - the doctrines of Christ and the rules of life prescribed by him. Not so as to do as others do. If so be, or since, that you have heard him (Eph_4:21), have heard his doctrine preached by us, and have been taught by him, inwardly and effectually, by his Spirit.”

2. The Saints with the Anointing Abiding in them:
1Jn 2:26-27
(26)  These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you.
(27)  But the anointing which you have received of him abides in you, and you need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teaches you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it has taught you, you shall abide in him.

From Matthew Henry's Commentary 1 John 2:26-27

The divine unction does not supersede ministerial teaching, but surmount it. (3.) It is a sure evidence of truth, and all that it teaches is infallible truth: But as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, 1Jo_2:27. The Holy Spirit must needs be the Spirit of truth, as he is called, Joh_14:17. The instruction and illumination that he affords must needs be in and of the truth. The Spirit of truth will not lie; and he teacheth all things, that is, all things in the present dispensation, all things necessary to our knowledge of God in Christ, and their glory in the gospel.

What are some things the Holy Spirit has taught you, Daniel?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  99
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

any examples in the New Testament where the Holy Spirit taught someone directly who was not an Apostle?"

Acts 2:5 "Now there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men from every nation under heaven.  And at this sound the multitude came together, and they were bewildered, because each one was hearing them speak in his own language.  And they were amazed and astonished, saying, “Are not all these who are speaking Galileans?  And how is it that we hear, each of us in his own native language?  Parthians and Medes and Elamites and residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia,  Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya belonging to Cyrene, and visitors from Rome,  both Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabians—we hear them telling in our own tongues the mighty works of God.”

Acts 6:3 "Now there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men from every nation under heaven.  And at this sound the multitude came together, and they were bewildered, because each one was hearing them speak in his own language.  And they were amazed and astonished, saying, “Are not all these who are speaking Galileans?  And how is it that we hear, each of us in his own native language?  Parthians and Medes and Elamites and residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia,  Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya belonging to Cyrene, and visitors from Rome,  both Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabians—we hear them telling in our own tongues the mighty works of God.”

6:8 "And Stephen, full of grace and power, was doing great wonders and signs among the people.  Then some of those who belonged to the synagogue of the Freedmen (as it was called), and of the Cyrenians, and of the Alexandrians, and of those from Cilicia and Asia, rose up and disputed with Stephen.  But they could not withstand the wisdom and the Spirit with which he was speaking."

Acts 8:4 "Now those who were scattered went about preaching the word.  Philip went down to the city of Samaria and proclaimed to them the Christ.  And the crowds with one accord paid attention to what was being said by Philip, when they heard him and saw the signs that he did.  For unclean spirits, crying out with a loud voice, came out of many who had them, and many who were paralyzed or lame were healed.  So there was much joy in that city." ... v12 "But when they believed Philip as he preached good news about the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.  Even Simon himself believed, and after being baptized he continued with Philip. And seeing signs and great miracles performed, he was amazed."

Acts 10 "At Caesarea there was a man named Cornelius, a centurion of what was known as the Italian Cohort,  a devout man who feared God with all his household, gave alms generously to the people, and prayed continually to God.  About the ninth hour of the day he saw clearly in a vision an angel of God come in and say to him, “Cornelius.”  And he stared at him in terror and said, “What is it, Lord?” And he said to him, “Your prayers and your alms have ascended as a memorial before God.  And now send men to Joppa and bring one Simon who is called Peter.  He is lodging with one Simon, a tanner, whose house is by the sea.”

... v44 "At Caesarea there was a man named Cornelius, a centurion of what was known as the Italian Cohort,  a devout man who feared God with all his household, gave alms generously to the people, and prayed continually to God.  About the ninth hour of the day he saw clearly in a vision an angel of God come in and say to him, “Cornelius.”  And he stared at him in terror and said, “What is it, Lord?” And he said to him, “Your prayers and your alms have ascended as a memorial before God.  And now send men to Joppa and bring one Simon who is called Peter.  He is lodging with one Simon, a tanner, whose house is by the sea.”"

Acts 11:20 "But there were some of them, men of Cyprus and Cyrene, who on coming to Antioch spoke to the Hellenists also, preaching the Lord Jesus.  And the hand of the Lord was with them, and a great number who believed turned to the Lord.  The report of this came to the ears of the church in Jerusalem, and they sent Barnabas to Antioch.  When he came and saw the grace of God, he was glad, and he exhorted them all to remain faithful to the Lord with steadfast purpose,  for he was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and of faith. And a great many people were added to the Lord.  So Barnabas went to Tarsus to look for Saul,  and when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. For a whole year they met with the church and taught a great many people. And in Antioch the disciples were first called Christians.
  Now in these days prophets came down from Jerusalem to Antioch.  And one of them named Agabus stood up and foretold by the Spirit that there would be a great famine over all the world (this took place in the days of Claudius).  So the disciples determined, every one according to his ability, to send relief to the brothers living in Judea.  And they did so, sending it to the elders by the hand of Barnabas and Saul."

Acts 16:1 "Paul came also to Derbe and to Lystra. A disciple was there, named Timothy, the son of a Jewish woman who was a believer, but his father was a Greek.  He was well spoken of by the brothers at Lystra and Iconium.  Paul wanted Timothy to accompany him, and he took him..."

Acts 18:24 "Now a Jew named Apollos, a native of Alexandria, came to Ephesus. He was an eloquent man, competent in the Scriptures.  He had been instructed in the way of the Lord. And being fervent in spirit, he spoke and taught accurately the things concerning Jesus, though he knew only the baptism of John.  He began to speak boldly in the synagogue, but when Priscilla and Aquila heard him, they took him aside and explained to him the way of God more accurately.  And when he wished to cross to Achaia, the brothers encouraged him and wrote to the disciples to welcome him. When he arrived, he greatly helped those who through grace had believed,  for he powerfully refuted the Jews in public, showing by the Scriptures that the Christ was Jesus."

Add to all this the Pastor of Ephasus- Timothy.

-Pv-

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  99
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

On 3/10/2020 at 11:38 AM, Daniel Marsh said:

To add: the letters in the NT are only a sliver of what took place.

I see the scriptures as a fence that creates a border to contain us doctrinally. I think we do wrong to make the Bible our God.

What has been preserved for us was done with great care and often times of peril.  The Bible as it stands is what God Himself determined should be passed on to us as sufficient for learning the mind of God independent of the whims of humans and their frailty.  The Bible as paper is not God, but the thoughts of God.  It is not a fence but an open door, gate, view into the place where God lives and rules.  I do not bow to a binding nor to an image, but to His presence in my soul.  The Bible is the guide by which we can avoid substituting the commands of men for those of God.

Mark 7:6-9
And He(Jesus) said to them, “Well did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written, (Is29:13) ‘This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me; in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’  (Jesus)You leave the commandment of God and hold to the tradition of men.” v9:And he said to them, “You are experts at setting aside the commandment of God in order to keep your tradition.   For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘He who speaks evil of father or mother, is to be put to death’;   but you say, ‘If a man says to his father or his mother, whatever I have that would help you is Corban (that is to say, given to God),’   you no longer permit him to do anything for his father or his mother;   thus invalidating the word of God by your tradition which you have handed down; and you do many things such as that.”

-Pv-

Edited by -Pv-

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  126
  • Content Count:  2,087
  • Content Per Day:  0.57
  • Birthday:  09/15/1956

48 minutes ago, -Pv- said:

What has been preserved for us was done with great care and often times of peril.  The Bible as it stands is what God Himself determined should be passed on to us as sufficient for learning the mind of God independent of the whims of humans and their frailty.  The Bible as paper is not God, but the thoughts of God.  It is not a fence but an open door, gate, view into the place where God lives and rules.  I do not bow to a binding nor to an image, but to His presence in my soul.  The Bible is the guide by which we can avoid substituting the commands of men for those of God.

Mark 7:6-9
And He(Jesus) said to them, “Well did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written, (Is29:13) ‘This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me; in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’  (Jesus)You leave the commandment of God and hold to the tradition of men.” v9:And he said to them, “You are experts at setting aside the commandment of God in order to keep your tradition.   For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘He who speaks evil of father or mother, is to be put to death’;   but you say, ‘If a man says to his father or his mother, whatever I have that would help you is Corban (that is to say, given to God),’   you no longer permit him to do anything for his father or his mother;   thus invalidating the word of God by your tradition which you have handed down; and you do many things such as that.”

-Pv-

We should thank the Church Fathers for copying the manuscripts for us through the years.    The part you quoted was itself part of a quote. 

20 hours ago, TheBlade said:

Acts Ananias. Read how he talks to the lord. And the lord talking? Was the sweet holy Spirit. OT... Holy Spirit on the prophets. On and on. We will never get that voice to say.. OH wait.. this is not Christ.. nor the holy Spirit but GOD! Its always HIM! Unless Christ just shows up.. then.. duh.  Yet its always the one.

Ananias in Acts 5,  Peter spoke to him.    Acts 23 Ananias, the high priest.   Acts 22 he was the person who helped Saul.

In Acts 9,  in a vision from the Lord which from context is understood to be Jesus.   Not the Holy Spirit teaching him doctrine.   Jesus only gave Ananias directions to follow. 

15 But the Lord Jesus said to Ananias, “Go! I have chosen Saul for an important work. I want him to tell other nations, their rulers, and the people of Israel about me. 16 I will show him all that he must suffer for me.”

18 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Not a problem, but I don't understand. What are you communicating?

Is not the Holy Spirit God the Holy Spirit a person of the trinity?

short edition,  God is spirit and as such does not follow the rules of the material world as to his being. 

There are Three Persona in the Trinity,  but there is only one God.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/Comm/bowman_robert/trinity/trinity.cfm

Please,  keep the thread on topic.

13 hours ago, Michael37 said:

1.The Saints at Ephesus:
Eph 4:20-21
(20)  But you have not so learned Christ;
(21)  If so be that you have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:

From Matthew Henry's Commentary Eph 4:20-21

2. The Saints with the Anointing Abiding in them:
1Jn 2:26-27
(26)  These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you.
(27)  But the anointing which you have received of him abides in you, and you need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teaches you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it has taught you, you shall abide in him.

From Matthew Henry's Commentary 1 John 2:26-27

What are some things the Holy Spirit has taught you, Daniel?

The person in Eph 4 is Paul teaching,  not the Holy Spirit. 

English Standard Version
assuming that you have heard about him and were taught in him, as the truth is in Jesus,

Good News Translation
You certainly heard about him, and as his followers you were taught the truth that is in Jesus.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
If truly you have heard him and you have learned of him, as whatever is truth is in Yeshua.

in
ἐν (en)
Preposition
Strong's Greek 1722: In, on, among. A primary preposition denoting position, and instrumentality, i.e. A relation of rest; 'in, ' at, on, by, etc.

"Ye have heard him . . .--The true rendering here is, ye heard Him, and were taught in Him. St. Paul begins with the first means of knowledge, the "hearing" His voice, directly or through His ministers; and then proceeds to describe the fuller and more systematic process of "being taught," not "by Him" (as in our version), but "in Him," that is, in that unity with Him which embraces both teachers and taught as with an atmosphere of His presence."https://biblehub.com/ephesians/4-21.htm

"If so be that (ei ge). "If indeed." Condition of first class with aorist indicatives here, assumed to be true (hkousate kai edidacqhte). Even as truth is in Jesus (kaqw estin alhqeia en twi Ihsou). It is not clear what Paul's precise idea is here. The Cerinthian Gnostics did distinguish between the man Jesus and the aeon Christ. Paul here identifies Christ (verse Galatians 20 ) and Jesus (verse Galatians 21 ). At any rate he flatly affirms that there is "truth in Jesus" which is in direct opposition to the heathen manner of life and which is further explained by the epexegetical infinitives that follow (apoqesqai, ananeousqai de, kai endusasqai)."  https://www.biblestudytools.com/commentaries/robertsons-word-pictures/ephesians/ephesians-4-21.html

Ephesians 4:17-23 Good News Translation (GNT)

17 In the Lord's name, then, I warn you: do not continue to live like the heathen, whose thoughts are worthless 18 and whose minds are in the dark. They have no part in the life that God gives, for they are completely ignorant and stubborn. 19 They have lost all feeling of shame; they give themselves over to vice and do all sorts of indecent things without restraint.

20 That was not what you learned about Christ! 21 You certainly heard about him, and as his followers you were taught the truth that is in Jesus. 22 So get rid of your old self, which made you live as you used to—the old self that was being destroyed by its deceitful desires. 23 Your hearts and minds must be made completely new,

In the context and Greek Grammar, it is clear that it is Paul who is teaching not Jesus directly.    

I already answered the claim made for I John here:  

2 hours ago, -Pv- said:

any examples in the New Testament where the Holy Spirit taught someone directly who was not an Apostle?"

Acts 2:5 "Now there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men from every nation under heaven.  And at this sound the multitude came together, and they were bewildered, because each one was hearing them speak in his own language.  And they were amazed and astonished, saying, “Are not all these who are speaking Galileans?  And how is it that we hear, each of us in his own native language?  Parthians and Medes and Elamites and residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia,  Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya belonging to Cyrene, and visitors from Rome,  both Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabians—we hear them telling in our own tongues the mighty works of God.”

Acts 6:3 "Now there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men from every nation under heaven.  And at this sound the multitude came together, and they were bewildered, because each one was hearing them speak in his own language.  And they were amazed and astonished, saying, “Are not all these who are speaking Galileans?  And how is it that we hear, each of us in his own native language?  Parthians and Medes and Elamites and residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia,  Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya belonging to Cyrene, and visitors from Rome,  both Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabians—we hear them telling in our own tongues the mighty works of God.”

6:8 "And Stephen, full of grace and power, was doing great wonders and signs among the people.  Then some of those who belonged to the synagogue of the Freedmen (as it was called), and of the Cyrenians, and of the Alexandrians, and of those from Cilicia and Asia, rose up and disputed with Stephen.  But they could not withstand the wisdom and the Spirit with which he was speaking."

Acts 8:4 "Now those who were scattered went about preaching the word.  Philip went down to the city of Samaria and proclaimed to them the Christ.  And the crowds with one accord paid attention to what was being said by Philip, when they heard him and saw the signs that he did.  For unclean spirits, crying out with a loud voice, came out of many who had them, and many who were paralyzed or lame were healed.  So there was much joy in that city." ... v12 "But when they believed Philip as he preached good news about the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.  Even Simon himself believed, and after being baptized he continued with Philip. And seeing signs and great miracles performed, he was amazed."

Acts 10 "At Caesarea there was a man named Cornelius, a centurion of what was known as the Italian Cohort,  a devout man who feared God with all his household, gave alms generously to the people, and prayed continually to God.  About the ninth hour of the day he saw clearly in a vision an angel of God come in and say to him, “Cornelius.”  And he stared at him in terror and said, “What is it, Lord?” And he said to him, “Your prayers and your alms have ascended as a memorial before God.  And now send men to Joppa and bring one Simon who is called Peter.  He is lodging with one Simon, a tanner, whose house is by the sea.”

... v44 "At Caesarea there was a man named Cornelius, a centurion of what was known as the Italian Cohort,  a devout man who feared God with all his household, gave alms generously to the people, and prayed continually to God.  About the ninth hour of the day he saw clearly in a vision an angel of God come in and say to him, “Cornelius.”  And he stared at him in terror and said, “What is it, Lord?” And he said to him, “Your prayers and your alms have ascended as a memorial before God.  And now send men to Joppa and bring one Simon who is called Peter.  He is lodging with one Simon, a tanner, whose house is by the sea.”"

Acts 11:20 "But there were some of them, men of Cyprus and Cyrene, who on coming to Antioch spoke to the Hellenists also, preaching the Lord Jesus.  And the hand of the Lord was with them, and a great number who believed turned to the Lord.  The report of this came to the ears of the church in Jerusalem, and they sent Barnabas to Antioch.  When he came and saw the grace of God, he was glad, and he exhorted them all to remain faithful to the Lord with steadfast purpose,  for he was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and of faith. And a great many people were added to the Lord.  So Barnabas went to Tarsus to look for Saul,  and when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. For a whole year they met with the church and taught a great many people. And in Antioch the disciples were first called Christians.
  Now in these days prophets came down from Jerusalem to Antioch.  And one of them named Agabus stood up and foretold by the Spirit that there would be a great famine over all the world (this took place in the days of Claudius).  So the disciples determined, every one according to his ability, to send relief to the brothers living in Judea.  And they did so, sending it to the elders by the hand of Barnabas and Saul."

Acts 16:1 "Paul came also to Derbe and to Lystra. A disciple was there, named Timothy, the son of a Jewish woman who was a believer, but his father was a Greek.  He was well spoken of by the brothers at Lystra and Iconium.  Paul wanted Timothy to accompany him, and he took him..."

Acts 18:24 "Now a Jew named Apollos, a native of Alexandria, came to Ephesus. He was an eloquent man, competent in the Scriptures.  He had been instructed in the way of the Lord. And being fervent in spirit, he spoke and taught accurately the things concerning Jesus, though he knew only the baptism of John.  He began to speak boldly in the synagogue, but when Priscilla and Aquila heard him, they took him aside and explained to him the way of God more accurately.  And when he wished to cross to Achaia, the brothers encouraged him and wrote to the disciples to welcome him. When he arrived, he greatly helped those who through grace had believed,  for he powerfully refuted the Jews in public, showing by the Scriptures that the Christ was Jesus."

Add to all this the Pastor of Ephasus- Timothy.

-Pv-

Those are good examples of the Holy Spirit teaching through a Christian to non believers.    I am looking for where Non Apostles were taught by the Holy Spirit who were born of the Spirit aka Christians.   Those texts are great.

Matthew Henry's "prime intention being explanation for practical and devotional purposeshttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Henry#Literary_work  

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,961
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

23 minutes ago, Daniel Marsh said:

I already answered the claim made for I John here: 

Be sure not to miss the point of 1 John 2: 26-27 as it seems you do in the thread you linked, and by your comments here, Daniel. 

The Word of God can be physically heard by anyone with ears without it being believed, but no-one can believe the Word of God unless they are quickened by the Spirit.

• Brilliant! 2