Boundaries when voicing discontent about government

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  304
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0

As a Christian, to which extend can I voice my discontent about government policies? Specially now during the corona virus pandemic.
For example sharing your opinion on social media. Sharing your discontent and criticism on certain policies. And also... the lies of certain political figures or them using double standards.
The worldly manners is really annoying, specially now that many weak / sick people will be affected.
If speaking out is to inform/warn others to protect themselves, so they don't blindly follow what is been said by the government.
How would you all view this from a christian point of view?

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

2 hours ago, Wesley L said:

As a Christian, to which extend can I voice my discontent about government policies? Specially now during the corona virus pandemic.
For example sharing your opinion on social media. Sharing your discontent and criticism on certain policies. And also... the lies of certain political figures or them using double standards.
The worldly manners is really annoying, specially now that many weak / sick people will be affected.
If speaking out is to inform/warn others to protect themselves, so they don't blindly follow what is been said by the government.

I think we should deal with the pandemic and set politics aside. If someone is lying, I see no harm in saying so. If someone is trying to turn the pandemic into a political weapon, what is wrong with saying so?

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Content Count:  1,426
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

I personally feel like the only real lines that need to be drawn are to keep it in line with Biblical ideas of good conduct and to not advocate anything illegal. There's certainly a lot going on in our government that needs exposure.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.90
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

Boundaries when voicing discontent about government

17 hours ago, Wesley L said:

For example sharing your opinion on social media.

You are sharing your opinion here. WCF is picked up by most of the widely recognized search engines.  

Sharing your discontent and criticism on certain policies.

There's nothing wrong with expressing your displeasure of how the government is not meeting the standards in which you'd wish to place basic trust. But, this is fairly common with most world organized world systems of control. We'd all like to see improvements, but must also be an understanding of the obvious shortcomings that will remain as a result. This would also apply to any democracy, republic or monarchy. 

I edited out your mention of the coronavirus concern. In the United States for example, we do have the Centers For Disease Control = CDC. They do maintain the latest accurate health information with every major medical issue imaginable. They aren't allowed bias or over dramatization/sensationalism such as a news publication merely for the sole purpose of selling newspapers. 

Simply remain within the guidelines of the ToS = Terms of Service. You'll be fine. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  349
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,532
  • Content Per Day:  2.69
  • Days Won:  1

On 3/17/2020 at 1:37 PM, Wesley L said:

It's not going to be a perfect world until Jesus comes back to rule and reign. Currently, Satan and the princes and powers of the air rule this world among men.

Ephesians 6:12 (KJV) For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

The Lord established and ordained human government(s) to deal secular justice to evil and help restrain evil. We are to give Caesar [government] what is do [law's]; as long as it doesn't violate God's law's and standards. We as Christian's are set apart, to be ambassador's for Christ, and be the salt and light in this dark world.

Each of our elected government representatives, is a reflection of the peoples attitudes, priorities and belief's whom elected and voted for them. Left to our own devices, every human government has become corrupted throughout all of history, we're no exception. We supposedly have a conduit to address our grievances, and take advantage of them. The best one is with our feet, going to the voting booth. But far too many Christian's have the attitude they can't vote for someone that doesn't mirror their own expectations and belief's. Thinking they're voting for a pastor or clergy. 

I've respectfully written my representatives and senators, both state and federal, to voice my concerns on a number of occasions. I'm no dummy, I know it falls on deaf ears, but I did something officially to voice my objections and / or concerns; rather than to complain about it on social media. And by the way: Those that don't vote for whatever reason in every election; have no right to complain about the government and people they get. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  693
  • Content Per Day:  0.41

On 3/17/2020 at 2:37 PM, Wesley L said:

From Acts 23

Then Paul said to him, "God will strike you, you whitewashed wall! You sit there to judge me according to the law, yet you yourself violate the law by commanding that I be struck!"
Those who were standing near Paul said, "How dare you insult God's high priest!"
Paul replied, "Brothers, I did not realize that he was the high priest; for it is written: 'Do not speak evil about the ruler of your people.'"

Romans 13

Every person should place themselves under the authority of the government. There isn’t any authority unless it comes from God, and the authorities that are there have been put in place by God. So anyone who opposes the authority is standing against what God has established. People who take this kind of stand will get punished. The authorities don’t frighten people who are doing the right thing. Rather, they frighten people who are doing wrong. Would you rather not be afraid of authority? Do what’s right, and you will receive its approval. It is God’s servant given for your benefit. But if you do what’s wrong, be afraid because it doesn’t have weapons to enforce the law for nothing. It is God’s servant put in place to carry out his punishment on those who do what is wrong. That is why it is necessary to place yourself under the government’s authority, not only to avoid God’s punishment but also for the sake of your conscience. You should also pay taxes for the same reason, because the authorities are God’s assistants, concerned with this very thing. So pay everyone what you owe them. Pay the taxes you owe, pay the duties you are charged, give respect to those you should respect, and honor those you should honor.

We in western, and specifically American culture, have grown up in a pagan society that rejects all authority.

We no longer believe in giving due respect, when we should, and giving honor even when the person getting that honor, hasn't entirely been honorable.

I remember when Bill Clinton was in office, and someone said something disrespectful to him.   Bill Clinton was a hideous president, who lied constantly, blatantly violated the laws, and got away with it.  Everyone knew it at the time, and this was before he was flying around with 14-year-old girls with Epstein.

Still even then, people even on the right-wing were saying, you don't treat the president of the United States with disrespect.  And I agree.   When Obama was president, I was very proud that the church I attend, and some of the online churches I watch, were saying you need to treat the President with respect an honor, no matter how much you disagree, or do not like the policies he has pushed.

So here is my advice:

Politics is messy, and people get way more emotional about it, than they should.  No president is 'god' in human form.  They all make mistakes.

Additionally, you need to abide by the rules of whatever forum you are on, to best of your ability.   If people tell you to stop, you need to stop.   Just like Paul stopped, when he spoke out against the high priest.

If you intend to speak out, then you also need to understand and accept that you are going to get push back.   People are going to speak out against you, if you speak out in politics.

If you are not able to handle that, then I would advice you to not talk about the subject.    This is coming from someone that routinely, every single day in fact, talks about politics on other forums.   Before I was writing this post, I was writing posts about politics on another forum.

You need to understand that if you can throw fire, you need to be able to take fire.  And by that, I mean if you can not handle criticism against yourself or your position, without being rude, or cruel, or ungodly... the you shouldn't engage in it.

No matter how wrong you think other people are, and no matter how rude or evil those people might be to you, G-d will judge you based on your actions.    When you answer to G-d for your life, and he asks "My book said respect those you should respect"... he's not going to listen to "Well the corona virus, and someone lied, and this guy on a forum said something mean"....   that's not going to work on judgement day.

Remember, when Paul wrote Romans 13 above... Emperor Nero was slaughtering Christians.

So unless you think openly murdering Christians for political gain, is somehow much less of an evil than whatever your complaint is against the US government....  then I would suggest you keep your cool, and act godly and graciously with whomever you interact with concerning the problems of today.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.65

On 3/17/2020 at 2:37 PM, Wesley L said:

Be positive, offer to pray to those in need, witness to the lost and hurting, something like, "I'm struggling with some of the policies and choices now, but God is sovereign and I know I have eternal life, and tribulation on Earth."

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  304
  • Content Per Day:  0.18

On 3/19/2020 at 3:26 AM, LonerAndy said:

We in western, and specifically American culture, have grown up in a pagan society that rejects all authority.
We no longer believe in giving due respect, when we should, and giving honor even when the person getting that honor, hasn't entirely been honorable.
I remember when Bill Clinton was in office, and someone said something disrespectful to him.   Bill Clinton was a hideous president, who lied constantly, blatantly violated the laws, and got away with it.  Everyone knew it at the time, and this was before he was flying around with 14-year-old girls with Epstein.
Still even then, people even on the right-wing were saying, you don't treat the president of the United States with disrespect.  And I agree.   When Obama was president, I was very proud that the church I attend, and some of the online churches I watch, were saying you need to treat the President with respect an honor, no matter how much you disagree, or do not like the policies he has pushed.

So here is my advice:

Politics is messy, and people get way more emotional about it, than they should.  No president is 'god' in human form.  They all make mistakes.
Additionally, you need to abide by the rules of whatever forum you are on, to best of your ability.   If people tell you to stop, you need to stop.   Just like Paul stopped, when he spoke out against the high priest.
If you intend to speak out, then you also need to understand and accept that you are going to get push back.   People are going to speak out against you, if you speak out in politics.
If you are not able to handle that, then I would advice you to not talk about the subject.    This is coming from someone that routinely, every single day in fact, talks about politics on other forums.   Before I was writing this post, I was writing posts about politics on another forum.
You need to understand that if you can throw fire, you need to be able to take fire.  And by that, I mean if you can not handle criticism against yourself or your position, without being rude, or cruel, or ungodly... the you shouldn't engage in it.
No matter how wrong you think other people are, and no matter how rude or evil those people might be to you, G-d will judge you based on your actions.    When you answer to G-d for your life, and he asks "My book said respect those you should respect"... he's not going to listen to "Well the corona virus, and someone lied, and this guy on a forum said something mean"....   that's not going to work on judgement day.

Remember, when Paul wrote Romans 13 above... Emperor Nero was slaughtering Christians.

So unless you think openly murdering Christians for political gain, is somehow much less of an evil than whatever your complaint is against the US government....  then I would suggest you keep your cool, and act godly and graciously with whomever you interact with concerning the problems of today.

After reading all the other comments and your comment. I realize it is important to stay humble. While respecting the authority, there is still room for criticism. While staying humble, in truth and in spirit, any opinion or attack against ourselves or against our point of views won't hurt us. 

Edited by Wesley L

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  693
  • Content Per Day:  0.41

9 hours ago, Wesley L said:

After reading all the other comments and your comment. I realize it is important to stay humble. While respecting the authority, there is still room for criticism. While staying humble, in truth and in spirit, any opinion or attack against ourselves or against our point of views won't hurt us. 

Yes.  Again there is no problem with criticizing a policy.  I do that all the time.   But no matter who is in office, we must be respectful.

And admittedly, it's hard to do so when the people who reply to your criticism are not going to be respectful of you.    But Just like Jesus, when the soldiers spat on him, and mocked him as King of the Jews, when he was not only King but G-d himself, and all those soldiers owed Jesus, the person they were spitting on, for their very lives.....   Jesus never spit back at them.

We're not Jesus are we?   So, we need to decide for ourselves that we will either accept the way people treat us, when we talk about politics, or my advice is don't talk about politics.   If you talk politics, people are going to react.  And we as Christians need to handle that.

• 3 months later...

• Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,200
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 3/17/2020 at 6:37 PM, Wesley L said:

I think people are people and not just christian and unbeliever. It depends on people, people of different backgrounds and religious views can have similar views on subjects. It really depends.