seanriecke.com

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  29
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

"Come, Follow me”. Those three words spoken by Jesus to Peter and Andrew on the shore of the Sea of Galilee 2,000 years ago have changed the fate of millions of souls........

https://seanriecke.com/2020/03/31/come-follow-me/

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,250
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

1 hour ago, seanriecke.com said:

"Come, Follow me”. Those three words spoken by Jesus to Peter and Andrew on the shore of the Sea of Galilee 2,000 years ago have changed the fate of millions of souls........

Welcome to Worthy, Sean.  

Some people don't understand what the words faith and works mean.  Faith has the same root word as believe.  One is a verb and the other is a noun.  So believe means to trust or rely on, adhere to. Works are the product of believing or of faith.  Some people think that the thief on the cross didn't produce any good works.  Let's look at what he said to Jesus on the cross.

Luk 23:39  LitV  And one of the hanged criminals blasphemed Him, saying, If You are the Christ, save Yourself and us.  Luk 23:40  But answering, the other rebuked him, saying, Do you not fear God, for you are in the same judgment?  

Luk 23:41  And we indeed justly, for we receive things worthy of what we did. But this One did nothing wrong.  Luk 23:42  And he said to Jesus, Lord, remember me when You come in Your kingdom.   Luk 23:43  And Jesus said to him, Truly I say to you, Today you will be with Me in Paradise.

He believes that Jesus had done no wrong.  He calls Jesus Lord, and believes He will be King of the Jews and preside over His kingdom.    I consider this as much of a work as the confession of most Christians joining Jesus' church.  Jesus accepted his confession of faith saying he would join Him in paradise that day.  He did as much of a work as anyone being crucified could do and uttered the good confession.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.77
  • Days Won:  226

4 hours ago, seanriecke.com said:

No, justification is by faith alone while faith in Christ produces good works. 

• Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.95
  • Days Won:  21

YES.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,414
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

I look at it this way. As long as we live our earthly lives there will be some part of us that doubts, however large or small it may be. We can act as God would have us to act or we can act according to our doubts. Abraham believed God could raise Isaac from the dead, then performed an act (or in other words a work) by following God's instructions and preparing to sacrifice his son. We're accustomed to thinking of works as big things, and they certainly can be, but it's really just putting our faith into action. Just sacrificing some of our time each day to talk to someone we can't perceive with our physical senses is backing our faith up with action.

11 hours ago, Willa said:

Welcome to Worthy, Sean.  

Some people don't understand what the words faith and works mean.  Faith has the same root word as believe.  One is a verb and the other is a noun.  So believe means to trust or rely on, adhere to. Works are the product of believing or of faith.  Some people think that the thief on the cross didn't produce any good works.  Let's look at what he said to Jesus on the cross.

Luk 23:39  LitV  And one of the hanged criminals blasphemed Him, saying, If You are the Christ, save Yourself and us.  Luk 23:40  But answering, the other rebuked him, saying, Do you not fear God, for you are in the same judgment?  

Luk 23:41  And we indeed justly, for we receive things worthy of what we did. But this One did nothing wrong.  Luk 23:42  And he said to Jesus, Lord, remember me when You come in Your kingdom.   Luk 23:43  And Jesus said to him, Truly I say to you, Today you will be with Me in Paradise.

He believes that Jesus had done no wrong.  He calls Jesus Lord, and believes He will be King of the Jews and preside over His kingdom.    I consider this as much of a work as the confession of most Christians joining Jesus' church.  Jesus accepted his confession of faith saying he would join Him in paradise that day.  He did as much of a work as anyone being crucified could do and uttered the good confession.

I agree with you to a point. It really isn't a discussion of the merits of faith over works and vice versa. It's an argument about the definition of faith itself. I have often used the example of the thief on the cross as proof of God's grace and forgiveness even until the moment before our death. However, I do believe the thief did an act of discipleship moments before his death by witnessing  to the other thief who mocked Jesus as recounted in Luke 23: 41-41:  "But the other answered, and rebuking him said, “Do you not even fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation? 41 And we indeed are suffering justly, for we are receiving [c]what we deserve for our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong.” I think Bonhoeffer's idea of "cheap grace" is right on target.  I also believe James had this in mind as  well when he says, "if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him?" Furthermore, when he says that "faith without works is dead" he means that faith without doing something about it is no faith at all and if you have not true faith then by definition you are not saved. Bonhoeffer called "cheap grace" as  one of the greatest threats to the church in his age (1930's-1940's) but I think it still holds today.  The question James pondered 2,000 years ago is still one that needs to be answered today: If someone says he has faith but does not have works......can faith save him?

7 hours ago, AnOrangeCat said:

I look at it this way. As long as we live our earthly lives there will be some part of us that doubts, however large or small it may be. We can act as God would have us to act or we can act according to our doubts. Abraham believed God could raise Isaac from the dead, then performed an act (or in other words a work) by following God's instructions and preparing to sacrifice his son. We're accustomed to thinking of works as big things, and they certainly can be, but it's really just putting our faith into action. Just sacrificing some of our time each day to talk to someone we can't perceive with our physical senses is backing our faith up with action.

Yes. Faith is a verb and means putting belief into action. Faith without acting on it is no faith at all. It's what James meant when he posed the question: ""if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? James 2:16-17.

Edited by seanriecke.com

9 hours ago, missmuffet said:

No, justification is by faith alone while faith in Christ produces good works. 

What is your definition of faith? " You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone" James 2:24

Edited by seanriecke.com
additional text

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,230
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Birthday:  03/25/1961

Hmm maybe some need to really dig in to what Faith is. Its calling those things that be NOT as though they were.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,143
  • Content Per Day:  4.61
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings seanriecke.com

Welcome to Worthy.....its a funny question,as you put it but clearly Gods Word is showing us that if one truly has FAITH then works will follow,no ifs & buts......Faith that Jesus is the Way,the Truth & the Life,the ONLY WAY is the Faith that granted us Gods Grace and by the Grace of God &Gods Grace Alone the Precious Blood of the Lamb is enough ,enough to sanctify our spirit  that we are Holy to Receive Him,Jesus,Holy Spirit

Anyway,having said that...How can Anyone that is Indwelled by Holy Spirit not do works?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1