IGNORED

What is your interpretation of this quote from a famous Christian author and do you think it’s biblical?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  0

How do you interpret this Thomas Merton quote and do you believe it’s in line with Scripture?

“I have had to accept the fact that my life is almost totally paradoxical. I have also had to learn gradually to get along without apologizing for the fact, even to myself. It is in the paradox itself, the paradox which was and is still a source of insecurity for me that I have strangely come to find the greatest security. I have become convinced that the contradictions in my life are in some ways signs of God's mercy to me. If only because someone so complicated and so prone to confusion and self defeat as myself, could hardly survive for long without some special mercy."

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,418
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

It seems okay to me. The Bible does say that God often chooses the weak and the lowly, and Paul noted that he had a thorn in his flesh. He prayed for it to be removed three times, whatever it was, and then accepted that it served a purpose by keeping him humble. He went on to say that he could boast of his weaknesses as a means of glorifying God. This quote seems to be in the same vein.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  1,008
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

They that are Christs have crucified the flesh with its passions and lusts  Galatians 5:24

Christians mature, by the Spirit, such that Galatians 5:24 shines true in their life. It is a process, a process that is happening in the life of every sincere believer.

Our lives will not remain a paradox, but rather we will shine as beacons for God as shinning proof of His work.

-------

Paul most likely had a tattoo associated with his status in Rome, and authority he had to round up Christians. He was anti-Christ before he was for Christ.

But Saul became Paul a completely changed person, by the power of God. The tattoo remained as a mark of his old life, "a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me"

But the grace of God was sufficient. What is the grace of God?

Matthew 7:12, John 15:12, Romans 13:8-9, Titus 2:11-12. That the spirit of the law is what is important, not the letter (tattoos)

One grasping that and sincerely following the simple directive to sincerely love; [Luke 6:27-49] will also overcome the flesh, they won't be sinless perfect because they will have some transgression against the specific commands in the Torah; like eating pork, wearing mixed fabric, etc... But a sincere believer in Christ will reach a level of sincerely living out the love that Christ taught, and going forward they will mature to Galatians 5:24.       The first fruit of the Spirit is love, and the last self-control.  

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

11 hours ago, ReneeIW said:

How do you interpret this Thomas Merton quote and do you believe it’s in line with Scripture?

“I have had to accept the fact that my life is almost totally paradoxical. I have also had to learn gradually to get along without apologizing for the fact, even to myself. It is in the paradox itself, the paradox which was and is still a source of insecurity for me that I have strangely come to find the greatest security. I have become convinced that the contradictions in my life are in some ways signs of God's mercy to me. If only because someone so complicated and so prone to confusion and self defeat as myself, could hardly survive for long without some special mercy."

Not everyone feels as insecure as the author. The church is a mix of Christians who feel inadequate and Christians who feel adequate.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  693
  • Content Per Day:  0.42

13 hours ago, ReneeIW said:

Sure somewhat.

I'm not sure how famous a Christian author he is, given I've never heard of him in my entire life.

He's supposed to have been Catholic, and I'm not Catholic, so perhaps that is why.

He is also supposed to have been a social activist, and social justice person... which I can't hardly find anything in either of those groups, that is compatible with Christian belief.

So I don't know much about this guy.

As for his statement, it seems somewhat in line with Scripture.

Romans 6:6

Ephesians 2:15

Ephesians 4:22-24

Colossians 3:9-11

All talk about the war between the old man, and the new man.   This paradox and internal struggle is true of all human existence.

So that regard, he seems accurate in his statement.

Edited by LonerAndy

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  909
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,656
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

19 hours ago, ReneeIW said:

Roundabout way of saying we don't deserve Grace.

And that God makes up for our short falls (which is total

when you consider Isaiah 64:6) for those who believe in

Jesus Christ. As with Abraham the father of faith... it is credited to

us as righteousness (his Jesus' righteousness).

It is only self deception and delusion to believe we could otherwise be anything other than

filthy rags to God.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  909
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,656
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

Look at King David or the Apostle Peter.

Only hypocrites and modern day Pharisees

go around sanctimoniously putting on airs

of righteousness.

David and Peter were men after God's own heart.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 5/28/2020 at 6:11 AM, ReneeIW said:

Its difficult to say, because it seems that he believes suffering comes from God. According to scripture the devil is the cause of suffering although it can be permitted by God depends on the spiritual life of a person. The book of Job is a perfect example of this.