Christians with mental illness

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  195
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  0

So. I'm open about my struggles, because I feel awareness is important.

I have OCD. OCD is a complex illness, and is far more than simply "wanting to be tidy" or needing to wash your hands all the time. It can take a ton of different forms, too, and they're not all revolved around cleanliness or a fear of bacteria contamination.
I have had a contamination theme in the past, when I was a child. I was 11. That's gone now. What I mostly deal with now is what's known as "pure O OCD" or "purely obsessional OCD", basically when your symptoms manifest in such a way that your "compulsions" are all done inside your head and are not outward or physical actions. I'm actually doing very well at the moment though! But OCD is typically a lifelong illness.

I also have social anxiety disorder, which is an intense fear of social situations. Freezing up in social situations, feeling like there's an elephant sitting on my chest, feeling anxious when people won't stop talking to me, shaking, feeling dizzy, and finding eye contact very intimidating. That said, I've come a long way since my diagnosis of such in 2018, and I even work in customer service without too many issues! Actually, the job has helped me overcome a lot of the fears I had through immersion. (My case of social anxiety wasn't the worst one out there or anything. You can have a comparatively mild case. That said, it's considered a disorder when it either causes significant distress or interferes with your ability to function in some way. A lot of people have a mild fear of social situations that does not amount to a disorder in the end.)

I also have a past of depression and psychological addiction--which means that I was addicted to something that wasn't drugs or substances. You've heard of video game addiction? I was addicted to a tv show--I had real, legitimate, intense withdrawals from it (to the point I was heavily suicidal), and those withdrawals are what caused the depression issues for me. They created a chemical imbalance in my brain that caused me to feel miserable all the time.
My struggles with this part of my mental health are a big part of my testimony, as I was close to God while recovering from these issues and found a lot of comfort from Him. 
I don't really deal with depression anymore, though if my anxiety is bad enough it can lead to a depressive episode that lasts several days. But I don't have major depressive disorder so much as my other illnesses can cause the depression feelings to emerge.

So. That's my stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praying! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,995
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,693
  • Content Per Day:  11.72
  • Days Won:  226

7 minutes ago, furrychristian said:

I have OCD. OCD is a complex illness, and is far more than simply "wanting to be tidy" or needing to wash your hands all the time. It can take a ton of different forms, too, and they're not all revolved around cleanliness or a fear of bacteria contamination.
I have had a contamination theme in the past, when I was a child. I was 11. That's gone now. What I mostly deal with now is what's known as "pure O OCD" or "purely obsessional OCD", basically when your symptoms manifest in such a way that your "compulsions" are all done inside your head and are not outward or physical actions. I'm actually doing very well at the moment though! But OCD is typically a lifelong illness.

I also have social anxiety disorder, which is an intense fear of social situations. Freezing up in social situations, feeling like there's an elephant sitting on my chest, feeling anxious when people won't stop talking to me, shaking, feeling dizzy, and finding eye contact very intimidating. That said, I've come a long way since my diagnosis of such in 2018, and I even work in customer service without too many issues! Actually, the job has helped me overcome a lot of the fears I had through immersion. (My case of social anxiety wasn't the worst one out there or anything. You can have a comparatively mild case. That said, it's considered a disorder when it either causes significant distress or interferes with your ability to function in some way. A lot of people have a mild fear of social situations that does not amount to a disorder in the end.)

I also have a past of depression and psychological addiction--which means that I was addicted to something that wasn't drugs or substances. You've heard of video game addiction? I was addicted to a tv show--I had real, legitimate, intense withdrawals from it (to the point I was heavily suicidal), and those withdrawals are what caused the depression issues for me. They created a chemical imbalance in my brain that caused me to feel miserable all the time.
My struggles with this part of my mental health are a big part of my testimony, as I was close to God while recovering from these issues and found a lot of comfort from Him. 
I don't really deal with depression anymore, though if my anxiety is bad enough it can lead to a depressive episode that lasts several days. But I don't have major depressive disorder so much as my other illnesses can cause the depression feelings to emerge.

So. That's my stuff.

God is with you on your mental illness. Stay close to God and continue to have faith and trust in Him when you struggle. OCD is the doubting disorder so you might struggle with doubts in your belief occasionally. You will be blessed and rewarded for your struggle you had on this earth when you get to heaven if you remain faithful to God.. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  778
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,958
  • Content Per Day:  3.03
  • Days Won:  1

Just give thanks to Jesus n give up our fear.

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  246
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  7,070
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

7 hours ago, furrychristian said:

So. That's my stuff.

Hi @furrychristian

Do you have any interests or hobbies that take your mind off your problems? 

I'm in my senior years now and although I am not a widower myself I mix with those who are minus their spouses. One in particular I am sure would benefit from having a hobby to take his mind off the loss of his wife and his subsequent aloneness.

In my case I like to work with machines, equipment, and tools so I always have gardening, landscaping, and DIY projects on the go. It's amazing how one's problems and past issues take a back seat when the task in hand becomes the thing. My wife is the same with her craftwork, cards and scrabble interests.

Blessings @Michael37

Yes, I like to dress up in costumes. I also like to play video games, watch anime, listen to music, and roleplay. :)

So today has been rough. My anxiety got bad last night. Was anxious and on edge all day at work today. My mood has dropped, too, which usually happens when it's bad..... Ended up texting a crisis line.
Here is the one I used if anyone else might need it, this one is specifically for anxiety disorders:
https://www.crisistextline.org/topics/anxiety/#what-is-anxiety-1

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  246
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  7,070
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

2 hours ago, furrychristian said:

Yes, I like to dress up in costumes. I also like to play video games, watch anime, listen to music, and roleplay. :)

So today has been rough. My anxiety got bad last night. Was anxious and on edge all day at work today. My mood has dropped, too, which usually happens when it's bad..... Ended up texting a crisis line.
Here is the one I used if anyone else might need it, this one is specifically for anxiety disorders:
https://www.crisistextline.org/topics/anxiety/#what-is-anxiety-1

[FYI We press quote bottom left to show previous poster's comment, or you can highlight any part to copy & paste at will.]

Now then Collie aka furrychristian, I am hoping and praying you will find ways to avoid becoming anxious. I had a Christian employee who came to me on quite high anti-anxiety meds which impared his ability to work and narrowed his employability somewhat. In this instance, based on the information he confided in me, we established a goal of reducing his anxiety and therefore reducing his anti-anxiety meds. Within 2 years he was off the meds altogether and able to function successfully in the workplace.

So hang in there, it's not all bad. 

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.91
  • Days Won:  3

12 hours ago, furrychristian said:

Yes, I like to dress up in costumes. I also like to play video games, watch anime, listen to music, and roleplay.

Woooo! I have finally found someone on this site who is like me! :th_wave:

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, LadyKay said:

Woooo! I have finally found someone on this site who is like me! :th_wave:

Hello! What kind of costumes, video games, anime, etc do you like? :)

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.91
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, furrychristian said:

Hello! What kind of costumes, video games, anime, etc do you like? :)

Not so much costumes anymore. But I did always dress for the Renaissance Fair. Video games my main one is Dungeons & Dragons Online.  Star Wars The Old Republic, and an older game called Age of Empires. I also try out new games I come across from time to time. I mostly enjoy role playing games. Anime I like "Cowboy Bebop." My daughter and me watch " Death Note" but that one was kind of strange.  "Venture Brothers"( I think that is consider anime) me and my husband like that one.  That is all I can think of for now. I am sure others will pop in my head later. :)

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  309
  • Content Per Day:  0.18

I haven't been here for a while, but the leading of the Holy Spirit brought me back, and led me to your post.

I wanted to reply to what your dealing with because many Christians believe mental illness is a result of sin in a persons life or poor

lifestyle choices which isn't true.

I wanted to speak out and support you so you don't feel alone in this

I have PTSD from childhood trauma and hereditary anxiety in several forms inherited from my mothers side of my family. Several of my children have some of the same issues. Some are on medication just like I am, and we're Christians.

As I've gotten older, it's gotten worse at times and other times almost nothing. I get what is called being "Triggered", which means out of nowhere I have a "Flair-up", that are like a "Sucker-punch" that is really over-whelming and can send your life reeling. You have no control over it and can make you feel like your going crazy.

I have close Christian friends who really understand my life, and are there for me, and they have issues in their lives too and I'm there for them, and we pray for each other.

You wouldn't believe how comforting that is!!!

Also I love James 1:2-4, "Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance, and let that endurance have it's perfect result that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing". 

I see my trials and struggles as God strengthening me and making me stronger for future trials, or to be there to encourage others like yourself on the same path to our home in heaven. As you get stronger you can help others too.

I am learning more and more, as it gets easier, to praise God for my trials, as I know He is always there with me and He has a plan for me even in my pain.

Scripture says "in all we do, do to the Glory of God." So I glorify God in my suffering and praise Him and thank Him that He is there with me loving me, and helping me through my trials.

Thank you my brother for having the courage to speak out and to allow us to support you.

My name is OLIGOS

• Loved it! 3