Fidei Defensor

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.55
  • Days Won:  15

I have been concerned about how philosophies can lead people astray from a pure and simple devotion to Christ. @Debp recommended I share this from my Ecumenism thread:  

KISS: Keep It Simple Saints (John 3:16-18, Romans 10:9-0)

Don’t get seduced from a pure and simple devotion to Christ, “But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent’s cunning,your minds may somehow be led astray from your a pure  and simple devotion to Christ.” (2 Corinthians 11:3). 

Then we will no longer be infants, tossed about by the waves and carried around by every wind of teaching and by the clever cunning of men in their deceitful scheming.” (Ephensians 4:14) 

My concern was because of the false brothers [those people masquerading as Christians] who had been secretly smuggled in [to the community of believers]. They had slipped in to spy on the freedom which we have in Christ Jesus, in order to bring us back into bondage [under the Law of Moses].” (Galatians 2:4 AMP)

I tell you this so that no one may deceive you by fine-sounding arguments.” (Colossians 2:4) 

I appeal to you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and create obstacles contrary to the doctrine that you have been taught; avoid them. For such persons do not serve our Lord Christ, but their own appetites, and by smooth talk and flattery they deceive the hearts of the naive.” (Romans 16:17-18)

See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of theworld, and not according to Christ.” (Colossians 2:8) 

Edited by Fidei Defensor
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Well Said! 2

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  204
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  0

(...)
And when I am stretched beneath the pines,
Where the evening star so holy shines,
I laugh at the lore and the pride of man,
At the sophist schools, and the learned clan;
For what are they all, in their high conceit,
When man in the bush with God may meet?
  • Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, Abrielle said:
(...)
And when I am stretched beneath the pines,
Where the evening star so holy shines,
I laugh at the lore and the pride of man,
At the sophist schools, and the learned clan;
For what are they all, in their high conceit,
When man in the bush with God may meet?

Amen. That is beautiful, what book is it from? :) 

It reminds me of the Apostle Paul’s words, “For the wisdom of this world is foolishness to God. As the Scriptures say, “He traps the wise in the snare of their own cleverness.” (1 Corinthians 3:19). 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  839
  • Content Per Day:  0.44

thank you for shareing your perspective

• Thumbs Up 1

For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel--not with wisdom and eloquence, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.” (1 Corithians 1:17). 

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,302
  • Content Per Day:  1.71

18 hours ago, Fidei Defensor said:

I have been concerned about how philosophies can lead people astray from a pure and simple devotion to Christ

There is a difference between a child like faith and a simple faith.

Just because one may have a simple faith doesn't mean one cannot have a sophisticated understanding of the philosophical meanings in Christianity.

The problem with having a child like faith is when one meets someone who understands the problems in Christianity, how does that person defend their child like faith.

Every year young people with a simple faith go to university and because they do not know about evolution or atheism they are unable to explain or defend their faith and they end up walking away from Christianity.

Anti intellectualism is not the answer. The answer is to educate Christians.

There should not be the numbers of simple questions being asked on this and other forums.

12 minutes ago, Who me said:

There is a difference between a child like faith and a simple faith.

Just because one may have a simple faith doesn't mean one cannot have a sophisticated understanding of the philosophical meanings in Christianity.

The problem with having a child like faith is when one meets someone who understands the problems in Christianity, how does that person defend their child like faith.

Every year young people with a simple faith go to university and because they do not know about evolution or atheism they are unable to explain or defend their faith and they end up walking away from Christianity.

Anti intellectualism is not the answer. The answer is to educate Christians.

There should not be the numbers of simple questions being asked on this and other forums.

I am not talking about a child like faith. I am saying do not cloud the simple gospel with rhetoric and statements that confuse people. Of course there is Christian maturity, Paul even distinguishes the two: 

When I came to you, brothers, I did not come with eloquence or wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about GodFor I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. I came to you in weakness and fear, and with much trembling. 4My message and my preaching were not with persuasive words of wisdom, but with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power, 5so that your faith would not rest on men’s wisdom, but on God’s power.” (1 Corinthians 2:1-5),

but then he says, “Among the mature, however, we speak a message of wisdom—but not the wisdom of this age or of the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing. No, we speak of the mysterious and hidden wisdom of Godwhich He destined for our glory before time began.” (1 Corinthians 2:6-8). 

Paul under the Holy Spirit’s direction instructs that when preaching the gospel, let it be simple and without barriers, but then with mature Christians you may speak of the “mysteries and wisdom of God.”

Edited by Fidei Defensor
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

18 hours ago, Fidei Defensor said:

I have been concerned about how philosophies can lead people astray from a pure and simple devotion to Christ. @Debp recommended I share this from my Ecumenism thread:  

KISS: Keep It Simple Saints (John 3:16-18, Romans 10:9-0)

Don’t get seduced from a pure and simple devotion to Christ, “But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent’s cunning,your minds may somehow be led astray from your a pure  and simple devotion to Christ.” (2 Corinthians 11:3). 

Then we will no longer be infants, tossed about by the waves and carried around by every wind of teaching and by the clever cunning of men in their deceitful scheming.” (Ephensians 4:14) 

My concern was because of the false brothers [those people masquerading as Christians] who had been secretly smuggled in [to the community of believers]. They had slipped in to spy on the freedom which we have in Christ Jesus, in order to bring us back into bondage [under the Law of Moses].” (Galatians 2:4 AMP)

I tell you this so that no one may deceive you by fine-sounding arguments.” (Colossians 2:4) 

I appeal to you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and create obstacles contrary to the doctrine that you have been taught; avoid them. For such persons do not serve our Lord Christ, but their own appetites, and by smooth talk and flattery they deceive the hearts of the naive.” (Romans 16:17-18)

See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of theworld, and not according to Christ.” (Colossians 2:8) 

Keeping it simple is always best. Some posts on Worthy make my head spin. Can you imagine how new Christians feel?

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, missmuffet said:

Keeping it simple is always best. Some posts on Worthy make my head spin. Can you imagine how new Christians feel?

Indeed. While talking about the deep mysteries of the faith shouldn’t be prohibited, we need to remember the new believers can get lost in the “mature dialouges,” and it is incumbant upon us seasoned saints to help explain things simply. 

Afterall the mark of great maturity in Christ is This, “Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the infinite value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I could gain Christ, and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ--the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith. All of us, then, who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you.” (Philippians 3:8-9, 15). 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.48
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

8 minutes ago, Fidei Defensor said:

Indeed. While talking about the deep mysteries of the faith shouldn’t be prohibited, we need to remember the new believers can get lost in the “mature dialouges,” and it is incumbant upon us seasoned saints to help explain things simply. 

Afterall the mark of great maturity in Christ is This, “Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the infinite value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I could gain Christ, and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ--the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith. All of us, then, who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you.” (Philippians 3:8-9, 15). 

Amen, brother! Amen.

• Thumbs Up 1