Jedi4Yahweh

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  1

I was recently contracted in this forum from a complete stranger who claims they are from India and has a ministry serving the poor and is asking me to donate.  I am a little leery about giving to ministries or people I have never met Or know nothing about.  So many scams out there hard to know?  What’s your thoughts?

Edited by Jedi4Yahweh
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  183
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  0

Don't do it.

Even when it comes to panhandlers, I will always just give through my church.  They have already vetted the organizations they donate to so there is no worry about making sure the funds are going to the right people.  Always be skeptical of anyone asking you for money online.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,734
  • Content Per Day:  2.75
  • Days Won:  21

1 hour ago, Jedi4Yahweh said:

I have was recently contracted in this forum from a complete stranger who claims they are from India and has a ministry serving the poor and is asking me to donate.  I am a little leery about giving to ministries or people I have never met Or know nothing about.  So many scams out there hard to know?  What’s your thoughts?

Don't and please report them. 

This site is clear that they are not supposed to contact other users for financial assistance. 

Sadly, even Christian forums are subject to those who are seeking to scam others; and often we're easy prey because we do want to help others. We're to be wise as serpents, remember. 

• Thumbs Up 3

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,798
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

There have been a large number of scammers on this site over the years. Christians are perceived as easy prey. DONT FALL FOR IT.

• Thumbs Up 4

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.48
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

5 hours ago, Jedi4Yahweh said:

I was recently contracted in this forum from a complete stranger who claims they are from India and has a ministry serving the poor and is asking me to donate.  I am a little leery about giving to ministries or people I have never met Or know nothing about.  So many scams out there hard to know?  What’s your thoughts?

This has been taken care of....thanks a bunch.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.55
  • Days Won:  15

The qailifications for giving are thus: 

You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don’t give reluctantly or in response to pressure (compulsion). “For God loves a person who gives cheerfully.” (2 Corinthians 9:7) 

For if the eagerness is there, the gift is acceptable according to what one has, not according to what he does not have. Of course, I don’t mean your giving should make life easy for others and hard for yourselves. I only mean that there should be some equality. Right now you have plenty and can help those who are in need. Later, they will have plenty and can share with you when you need it. In this way, things will be equal.” (2 Corinthians 8:12, 14-15) 

“But I did not want to do anything without your consent, so that your goodness will not be out of compulsion, but by your own free will.” (Philmon 1:14) 

For I can testify that they gave not only what they could afford, but far more. And they did it of their own free will.They begged us again and again for the privilege of sharing in the gift for the believers in Jerusalem.” (2 Corinthians 8:3-4). 

Also we are suppose to help brothers and sisters in Christ not strangers we can’t verify are brethren in Christ: 

Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.” (James 2:15-17). 

“Then the righteous will answer Him, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You something to drink?When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? When did we see You sick or in prison and visit You?’ And the King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you did for Me..” (Matthew 25:37-40). B 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

6 hours ago, Jedi4Yahweh said:

It is risky. I would never donate to someone on-line I did not know. 

• Thumbs Up 3

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.55
  • Days Won:  15

14 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

It is risky. I would never donate to someone on-line I did not know. 

Agreed, donate to those you know, not those you don’t know. 

• Thumbs Up 3

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,165
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

On 7/15/2020 at 6:28 AM, Jedi4Yahweh said:

That situation has been taken care of. Anyone else who gets a message asking for money, please report it so it can be dealt with.

My feelings on donating online to strangers: Absolutely not. Why? There are too many scammers out there, and I have no way to sort out the good from the bad.

I do my giving through my local church and local organizations that can sort out those requesting help. There needs to be accountability in some cases and in others claims for help (i.e. with rent or utilities) needs to be verified.  There are plenty of scammers locally too, but they are easier to spot in person. Giving without wisdom can enable someone to continue on a bad road (i.e. drug/alcohol addiction) without being forced to face the consequences of their bad decisions and that can kill if they were to overdose or drive drunk as an example. That's my take on it anyway.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  381
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Birthday:  03/04/1973

3 hours ago, walla299 said:

That situation has been taken care of. Anyone else who gets a message asking for money, please report it so it can be dealt with.

My feelings on donating online to strangers: Absolutely not. Why? There are too many scammers out there, and I have no way to sort out the good from the bad.

I do my giving through my local church and local organizations that can sort out those requesting help. There needs to be accountability in some cases and in others claims for help (i.e. with rent or utilities) needs to be verified.  There are plenty of scammers locally too, but they are easier to spot in person. Giving without wisdom can enable someone to continue on a bad road (i.e. drug/alcohol addiction) without being force to face the consequences of their bad decisions and that can kill if they were to overdose or drive drunk as an example. That's my take on it anyway.

Correct, when I received a PM and asked about finances immediately I did a report.

• Thumbs Up 1