Fidei Defensor

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.56
  • Days Won:  15

Since this came up in another thread, I thought I should share what Jesus looked like according to eyewitnesses, Romans and Jews and a likely potrait from Scripture: 

“Jesus our God was Son of David according to His flesh, “He promised beforehand through His prophets in the Holy Scriptures, regarding His Son, who was a descendant of David according to the flesh, and who through the Spirit of holiness was declared with power to be the Son of God by His resurrection from the dead: Jesus Christ our Lord (God),” (Romans 1:2-4), and King David was described as the following,

“So he sent and brought him in. Now he was ruddy [red, ruddy, from the word admowniy {ad-mo-nee'}; from 'adam; reddish of the hair or the complexion red, ruddy], with beautiful eyes and a handsome appearance. And the LORD said, "Arise, anoint him; for this is he. So Samuel took the horn of oil and anointed him in the presence of his brothers, and from that day on the Spirit of the LORD came powerfully upon David. Samuel then went to Ramah.” (1 Samuel 16:12-13).

Christ was of Hebraic descent and the description of our Lord Jesus was recorded for posterity by Romans and Jews:  

“The Description of Publius Lentullus
The following was taken from a manuscript in the possession of Lord Kelly, and in his library, and was copied from an original letter of Publius Lentullus at Rome. It being the usual custom of Roman Governors to advertise the Senate and people of such material things as happened in their provinces in the days of Tiberius Caesar, Publius Lentullus, President of Judea, wrote the following epistle to the Senate concerning the Nazarene called Jesus.
   "There appeared in these our days a man, of the Jewish Nation, of great virtue, named Yeshua [Jesus], who is yet living among us, and of the Gentiles is accepted for a Prophet of truth, but His own disciples call Him the Son of God- He raiseth the dead and cureth all manner of diseases. A man of stature somewhat tall, and comely, with very reverent countenance, such as the beholders may both love and fear, his hair of (the colour of) the chestnut, full ripe, plain to His ears, whence downwards it is more orient and curling and wavering about His shoulders. In the midst of His head is a seam or partition in His hair, after the manner of the Nazarenes. His forehead plain and very delicate; His face without spot or wrinkle, beautified with a lovely red; His nose and mouth so formed as nothing can be reprehended; His beard thickish, in colour like His hair, not very long, but forked; His look innocent and mature; His eyes grey, clear, and quick- In reproving hypocrisy He is terrible; in admonishing, courteous and fair spoken; pleasant in conversation, mixed with gravity. It cannot be remembered that any have seen Him Laugh, but many have seen Him Weep. In proportion of body, most excellent; His hands and arms delicate to behold. In speaking, very temperate, modest, and wise. A man, for His singular beauty, surpassing the children of men" 
Publlus’s description of Jesus as having reddish skin, “His face without spot or wrinkle, beautified with a lovely red” matches the ruddyness of King David, “So he sent and brought him in. Now he was ruddy [red, ruddy, from the word admowniy {ad-mo-nee'}; from 'adam; reddish of the hair or the complexion red, ruddy], with beautiful eyes and a handsome appearance. And the LORD said, "Arise, anoint him; for this is he. So Samuel took the horn of oil and anointed him in the presence of his brothers, and from that day on the Spirit of the LORD came powerfully upon David. Samuel then went to Ramah.” (1 Samuel 16:12-13). 

The Letter from Pontius Pilate:  

“The letter from Pontius Pilate to Tiberius Caesar
This is a reprinting of a letter from Pontius Pilate to Tiberius Caesar describing the physical appearance of Jesus. 
Copies are in the Congressional Library in Washington, D.C.
TO TIBERIUS CAESAR:
A young man appeared in Galilee preaching with humble unction, a new law in the Name of the God that had sent Him. At first I was apprehensive that His design was to stir up the people against the Romans, but my fears were soon dispelled. Jesus of Nazareth spoke rather as a friend of the Romans than of the Jews. One day I observed in the midst of a group of people a young man who was leaning against a tree, calmly addressing the multitude. I was told it was Jesus. This I could easily have suspected so great was the difference between Him and those who were listening to Him. His golden colored hair and beard gave to his appearance a celestial aspect. He appeared to be about 30 years of age. Never have I seen a sweeter or more serene countenance. What a contrast between Him and His bearers with their black beards and tawny complexions! Unwilling to interrupt Him by my presence, I continued my walk but signified to my secretary to join the group and listen. Later, my secretary reported that never had he seen in the works of all the philosophers anything that compared to the teachings of Jesus. He told me that Jesus was neither seditious nor rebellious, so we extended to Him our protection. He was at liberty to act, to speak, to assemble and to address the people. This unlimited freedom provoked the Jews -- not the poor but the rich and powerful.
Later, I wrote to Jesus requesting an interview with Him at the Praetorium. He came. When the Nazarene made His appearance I was having my morning walk and as I faced Him my feet seemed fastened with an iron hand to the marble pavement and I trembled in every limb as a guilty culprit, though he was calm. For some time I stood admiring this extraordinary Man. There was nothing in Him that was repelling, nor in His character, yet I felt awed in His presence. I told Him that there was a magnetic simplicity about Him and His personality that elevated Him far above the philosophers and teachers of His day.
Now, Noble Sovereign, these are the facts concerning Jesus of Nazareth and I have taken the time to write you in detail concerning these matters. I say that such a man who could convert water into wine, change death into life, disease into health; calm the stormy seas, is not guilty of any criminal offense and as others have said, we must agree -- truly this is the Son of God. 
Your most obedient servant,
Pontius Pilate.”
Pilate’s letter is affirmed by the Gospels, John says Pilate knew the religious rich Jewish elite were jealous and wanted him dead as thus letter affirms (Matthew 27:18) and Pilate quotes Longinus exactly who said in the Gospel, “truly this is the Son of God.” (Matthew 27:54). The description that the twelve disciples looked different than Jesus is affirmed in that Jesus was according to the flesh the Son of David  (Romans 1:2-4, Bethlehem) and the apostles were  Galilean Jews who some historians claim where half Jew and half Gentile by blood (Dr. J.W.C. Wand, A History of the Early Church to 500 A.D., Environment, Part II). Pontius Pilate is the Prefect that interviewed Jesus and sentenced Him to death by crucifixion (John 18 and 19) and had guards placed at the tomb (Matthew 27:62-Matthew 28:15) according to all four gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John in The New Testament. Roman procedure is Pilate would have had to write a letter to Cesar and the Senate especially because Jesus’ charges were that He claimed To be King of Jews, hence Jesus sign post over his head on the cross (Matthew 27:37, John 19:21-22). 

According to a Jewish Pharisee named Gamaliel: 

“The Archko Volume"
Another description of Jesus is found in "The Archko Volume" which contains official court documents from the days of Jesus. This information substantiates that He came from racial lines which had blue eyes and golden hair. In a chapter entitled "Gamaliel's Interview" it states concerning Jesus (Yeshua) appearance:
"I asked him to describe this person to me, so that I might know him if I should meet him. He said: 'If you ever meet him [Yeshua] you will know him. While he is nothing but a man, there is something about him that distinguishes him from every other man. He is the picture of his mother, only he has not her smooth, round face. His hair is a little more golden than hers, though it is as much from sunburn as anything else. He is tall, and his shoulders are a little drooped; his visage is thin and of a swarthy complexion, though this is from exposure. His eyes are large and a soft blue, and rather dull and heavy....' This Jew [Nazarite] is convinced that he is the Messiah of the world. ...this was the same person that was born of the virgin in Bethlehem some twenty-six years before..."
- The Archko Volume, translated by Drs. McIntosh and Twyman of the Antiquarian Lodge, Genoa, Italy, from manuscripts in Constantinople and the records of the Senatorial Docket taken from the Vatican of Rome (1896) 92-93” 
Gamaliel was in the New Testament of our Bible and saved Peter and the apostles from execution (Acts 5:34-39) and trained the Apostle Paul (Acts 22:3). 

According to historian Josephus, 
“Josephus, the "Antiquities Of The Jews" 
This is a quote from Josephus, from his historical first-century writings entitled, "Antiquities Of The Jews," Book #18, Chapter 2, section 3.
"Now there was about this time Jesus, Enviromenfa wise man, if it be lawful to call him a man; for he was a doer of wonderful works, a teacher of such men as receive the truth with pleasure. He drew over to him both many of the Jews and many of the Gentiles. He was [the] Christ. And when Pilate, at the suggestion of the principal men amongst us, had condemned him to the cross, those that loved him at the first did not forsake him; for he appeared to them alive again the third day, as the divine prophets had foretold these and ten thousand other wonderful things concerning him. And the tribe of Christians, so named from him, are not extinct at this day." 

The Biblical text and genealogy of Jesus (Matthew 1:1-25, Luke 3:1-26) combined with historical eyewitness accounts by Romans and Jews who saw Jesus was that He was ruddy and fair skinned with blond-chestnut hair; Gamaliel clarifies the sun baked his hair blond in the “Archko Volume,” which happens with dark blond (brown, chestnut) haired people. 

The Emerald Cesar (see lic below) 

There is an actual portrait of Jesus made by Tiberius Caesar on an emerald called the Jesus of the Emerald (Emerald Cesar) that corroborates with these descriptions: 

Tiberius Cesar is the same Emperor who called for the census that had Jesus born in Bethlehem, “In the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar--when Pontius Pilate was governor of Judea, Herod tetrarch of Galilee, his brother Philip tetrarch of Iturea and Traconitis, and Lysanias tetrarch of Abilene--during the high-priesthood of Annas and Caiaphas, the Word of God came to John son of Zechariah in the wilderness.” (Luke 3:1-2). The Emerald Cesar (Jesus of the Emerald) Potrait was last seen in Constantinople and was traded by the Ottoman Sultan to Pope Innocent VIII. 

C0DD2F91-9D4C-458B-AE03-FC34118080FF.png

Edited by Fidei Defensor
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,217
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/25/1961

"For He shall grow up before Him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground. He hath no form nor comeliness, and when we shall see Him, there is no beauty that we should desire Him."

"He was despised and rejected—a man of sorrows, acquainted with deepest grief. We turned our backs on him and looked the other way. He was despised, and we did not care. "

Going with what the word said about Him. Not as He is not but before when He walked this earth. He was not one to look at.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  839
  • Content Per Day:  0.44

very intresting :)

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  2

Isaiah 53:2  He grew up before him like a tender shoot, and like a root out of dry ground. He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,251
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

I believe there was/is a reason for not actually knowing the 'image'.
Only in my time in the RCC was there an importance to 'see' the face of Jesus, or His statue,
or being held as a baby by His mother with a glowing halo above her head.   To touch...the physical.

while we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen;
for the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal.

2 Corinthians 4:18 

"God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth"

PS. I know you like the what I call catholic style artwork Fidei, as you display it regularly in your avatar.
I suppose it's actually the Renaissance period/style, the RCC contributed so much to.
It is reminding me how blessed I am to have escaped from the RCC's grasp.
Seeing that art reminds me of the darkness in the world.
And Jesus is sitting now at the right hand. Not hanging.

Your avatar, Jesus hanging on the cross, can be bought if you so desire, (exact one you display)

18th Century Very Fine Silvered Bronze & Ebonised Crucifix    £495.00 £395.00

A late 18th Century Italian white metal, silvered bronze and ebonised crucifix the stem of the cross inset with hardstone plaques. A particularly fine devotional item that would have probably graced a private chapel of a wealthy member of the old Italian Middle Classes.

ANTIQUE CHURCH FURNISHINGS     near London | Call 01737 844264 | info@churchantiques.com

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  72
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  10/21/1955

(Isa 53:2)  ...he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.

17 minutes ago, Son of Israel said:

(Isa 53:2)  ...he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.

Comeliness here in Isaiah 53:2 is הָדָר or hadar (haw-dawr) and is defined as “an ornament, honor, splendor,” (Strong’s Concordance) which actually connects better with these verses: Though he was God, he did not think of equality with God as something to cling to. Instead, he gave up his divine privileges; he took the humble position of a slave and was born as a human being.
When he appeared in human form, he humbled himself in obedience to God and died a criminal’s death on a cross. Therefore, God elevated him to the place of highest honor and gave him the name above all other names, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,   in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue declare that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.” (Philippians 2:6-11). 

Edited by Fidei Defensor

Guest theElect777
1 hour ago, appy said:

Isaiah 53:2  He grew up before him like a tender shoot, and like a root out of dry ground. He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.

Many people put stock into the writings of the Ancient Jewish Historian Josephus.   If we accept his writings, he described Christ.

The first century Jewish writer Josephus (37-100 AD) penned the earliest non-biblical testimony of Jesus.  In his work Halosis or the “Capture (of Jerusalem),” written around 72 A.D., Josephus discussed “the human form of Jesus and his wonderful works.” Biblical scholar Robert Eisler in a classic 1931 study of Josephus’ Testimony was able to reconstruct the unaltered testimony based on a newly-discovered Old Russian translation that preserved the original Greek text. According to Eisler’s reconstruction, the oldest non-Biblical description of Jesus read as follows:

At that time also there appeared a certain man of magic power … if it be meet to call him a man, [whose name is Jesus], whom [certain] Greeks call a son of [a] God, but his disciples [call] the true prophet … he was a man of simple appearance, mature age, black-skinned (melagchrous), short growth, three cubits tall, hunchbacked, prognathous (lit. ‘with a long face’ [macroprosopos]), a long nose, eyebrows meeting above the nose … with scanty [curly] hair, but having a line in the middle of the head after the fashion of the Nazaraeans, with an undeveloped beard.

That description matches Isaiah to a "T" about the Messiah would be homely, nothing to look at, a tender shoot/root, very weak looking, etc.

Edited by theElect777

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  72
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  10/21/1955

10 minutes ago, Fidei Defensor said:

Comeliness here in Isaiah 53:2 is הָדָר or hadar (haw-dawr) and is defined as “an ornament, honor, splendor,” (Strong’s Concordance) which actually connects better with these verses: Though he was God, he did not think of equality with God as something to cling to. Instead, he gave up his divine privileges; he took the humble position of a slave and was born as a human being.
When he appeared in human form, he humbled himself in obedience to God and died a criminal’s death on a cross. Therefore, God elevated him to the place of highest honor and gave him the name above all other names, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,   in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue declare that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.” (Philippians 2:6-11). 

...εστινG3756 G1510.2.3 ειδοςG1491 αυτωG1473 ουδεG3761 δοξαG1391 καιG2532 ειδομενG1492 αυτονG1473 καιG2532 ουκG3756 ειχενG2192 ειδοςG1491 ουδεG3761 καλλοςG2566.3

Isa 53:2 The Septuagint quite literally says;

andG2532 we beheldG1492 him,G1473 andG2532 he does notG3756 haveG2192 appearanceG1491 norG3761 beauty.G2566.3

So I must respectfully disagree with your opinion brother. But carry on :)

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Son of Israel said:

...εστινG3756 G1510.2.3 ειδοςG1491 αυτωG1473 ουδεG3761 δοξαG1391 καιG2532 ειδομενG1492 αυτονG1473 καιG2532 ουκG3756 ειχενG2192 ειδοςG1491 ουδεG3761 καλλοςG2566.3

Isa 53:2 The Septuagint quite literally says;

andG2532 we beheldG1492 him,G1473 andG2532 he does notG3756 haveG2192 appearanceG1491 norG3761 beauty.G2566.3

So I must respectfully disagree with your opinion brother. But carry on :)

Ah, the Eastern Orthodox  Church uses this translation, and they believe Comeliness even meant He had ailment, specifically one longer leg that made him limp.