IGNORED

Should we, as Christians, avoid songs that use bad language?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  124
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

Hi, I'm back with another post, after, like, two years :))

I want to start by saying that, after two years of psychotherapy (for my anxiety), I realized I'm not schizophrenic, like some people told me on the post regarding my Scrupulosity

I just had terrible anxiety because of my OCD, no voices in my head or hallucinations, and I couldn't really call them "delusions", because I was somehow, aware, it might be my anxiety disorder.

So, yeah. That's good news, I guess. But the fact that many people told me I might have Schizophrenia has really made my anxiety worse.

Now, I'm back with another post.

You heard about the music genre called "trap". The one where everybody just sings about money and women. Trap songs don't always have a message.

I'm an 18 year old teenager, and I listen to a lot of trap, but I'm also a Christian. The idea is, these songs just give me a feeling of "hype", I just feel good when I hear them. Maybe because of the instrumental used, or maybe even because of the lyrics? Also, I don't let such music influence my life. I consider that it is just music. It's still art, no matter the lyrics used. Even though they are sometims talking about drugs, or crimes, or whatever.

What's your opinion? Is it safe for a Christian to "expose" himself to such forms of entertainment (music, movies, videogames), that promote things like sex and violence? I don't let myself influenced by anything here. My faith's not influenced, neither my point of view about the world.

Edited by mat007

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

5 hours ago, mat007 said:

I want to start by saying that, after two years of psychotherapy (for my anxiety), I realized I'm not schizophrenic, like some people told me on the post regarding my Scrupulosity

I just had terrible anxiety because of my OCD, no voices in my head or hallucinations, and I couldn't really call them "delusions", because I was somehow, aware, it might be my anxiety disorder.

So, yeah. That's good news, I guess. But the fact that many people told me I might have Schizophrenia has really made my anxiety worse.

You heard about the music genre called "trap". The one where everybody just sings about money and women. Trap songs don't always have a message.

I'm an 18 year old teenager, and I listen to a lot of trap, but I'm also a Christian. The idea is, these songs just give me a feeling of "hype", I just feel good when I hear them. Maybe because of the instrumental used, or maybe even because of the lyrics? Also, I don't let such music influence my life. I consider that it is just music. It's still art, no matter the lyrics used. Even though they are sometims talking about drugs, or crimes, or whatever.

What's your opinion? Is it safe for a Christian to "expose" himself to such forms of entertainment (music, movies, videogames), that promote things like sex and violence? I don't let myself influenced by anything here. My faith's not influenced, neither my point of view about the world.

A Christian should not listen to songs that have lyrics that do not glorify God. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  183
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

The "garbage in, garbage out" idea completely holds true.  I have listened to many different styles of music in the past and have noticed that when I listen to a song that has aggressive lyrics (in addition to the aggressive sounding music) I feel agitated and am more prone to get angry at things where if I was listening to something with more positive lyrics I may not react so badly.

There is plenty of music that I used to listen to that had great rhythm and melody but still had some negative lyrics that I don't listen to anymore.

Part of the reason I used to listen to that music was that it was better produced, and was more artistic than contemporary Christian music.  Christian has come a long way and is much easier to listen to as there are now plenty of very talented groups that make songs that are not only produced well, but also have lyrics that have a positive message.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.55
  • Days Won:  12

8 hours ago, mat007 said:

Would you listen to such music with Jesus sitting next to you?  Would he approve of the lyrics, or the effect that the music has on you?

I think you know the answer.

• Well Said! 1

• Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

12 hours ago, mat007 said:

I just had terrible anxiety because of my OCD,

Hi, mat007. I'm glad to know that what you were having to deal with wasn't an issue with temporal or long term schizophrenia. Whether simple or complex anxiety co-associated with OCD - obsessive compulsive disorder, being a problematic one, it's certainly not insanity by any means. A lot of people suffer from these things. PTSD - post traumatic stress disorder is probably even more common than is understood as a emotional struggle. 

12 hours ago, mat007 said:

no voices in my head or hallucinations, and I couldn't really call them "delusions", because I was somehow, aware, it might be my anxiety disorder.

I'm certain it must have. After being viciously attacked by common street thugs, I also began suffering with depression and anxiety with PTSD that had already been acquired in my childhood years. I went for what was hopeful therapy. I had a quack neurologist, as a good many here are known to be.  

All that was offered were benzodiazepines which I didn't want, and a psychiatrist had me take some weird outdated psychology test called the MMPI - Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory, which is an inconclusive and really extensive and useless means of "profiling" you. Basically, it's absolute rubbish. 

Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Multiphasic_Personality_Inventory

The Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI) is a standardized psychometric test of adult personality and psychopathology. Psychologists and other mental health professionals use various versions of the MMPI to help develop treatment plans, assist with differential diagnosis, help answer legal questions (forensic psychology), screen job candidates during the personnel selection process, or as part of a therapeutic assessment procedure.

13 hours ago, mat007 said:

No. Actually, this is the first time I've heard of anything known as "trap" music. 

Okay. Well, if you enjoy the way the music if that's what it is and not in the rap category of what's termed as, "musical" which rap is merely rhythmic "beat-box", maybe it does something to you that like a rock 'n' roll can be known to do. One must consider lyrics and be careful they don't affect your youthful developing mind. Why? Because at 18, you are also very impressionable. This kind of "thug music" is base, primitive, aboriginal, and attacks the senses with influences possibly affecting you with subliminal messages. 

You want an honest straight forward answer? Take it to the Lord and ask His guidance and discernment. 

Shalom,

David/BeauJangles

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,244
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Listening to rock with bad language made me angry.  It was really depressing.   So I switched to Christian hard rock for a beat to exercise to and felt much better.  The music wasn't as polished and professional sometimes but the lyrics were uplifting and built me up in my relationship with God.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  693
  • Content Per Day:  0.42

On 8/11/2020 at 7:51 AM, mat007 said:

Specifically as it relates to entertainment, my general view is, you should have some really good filters.

Rap specifically has tons of bad messages, and filthy language.

Bottom line answer is... yes, you should avoid entertainment with bad messages, or bad language.

As it relates to violence specifically.... I have changed my views on this somewhat.  I used to think no no, can't have violence.

However, when I read the Bible, there are endless stories of good people, fighting and defeating bad people.   How can a police officer stop a violent criminal, without violence?   How and a soldier defeat the enemy, without violence?   If your wife was being beaten by a man, would you not stop that man, with violence?

So my issue with movies and video games, is limited to is it actually glorifying violence without cause?

For example Grand Theft Auto, is a terrible game, and I will never play it.  How can you play the part of a criminal engaging in evil, and have that be the goal of the game?

So games like Hitman, and GTA, and anything like that... no should not be involved in.   Similarly, movies and music, where you are glorifying evil, should not be involved in.

I don't let myself influenced by anything here. My faith's not influenced, neither my point of view about the world.

Two things about that.

First, the claim that it does not affect you.  I promise you, it does affect you.  It does.  Everything you allow into your head, will affect you at some level.

The problem is, we don't notice it.   It's like a massive ship out on the ocean, with a tiny leak in the bottom.   That leak might be so small, that you could go days, weeks, maybe even a month before you even notice the ship is leaning to one side.  But eventually that leak will sink your ship.

These things have an effect on you.  It might be a tiny, even hardly noticeable change.  But it will affect you.  Not even possible, that it won't.

Years and years ago, I had a co-worker who got into the wrong stuff.  He was a non-christian, but he went from being a pretty decent guy, to being really angry jerk.

The change didn't happen in a week, or month.   It was several years later, and he was just not a nice guy anymore.  Was it the rap music?  I don't know.  Was it the friends he was hanging out with?   I don't know.

I'm not going to pretend I know specifically what changed him, but whatever it was, it was slow and over a long period of time.

The second thing is, just in general....

We are supposed to be different than the pagans around us.  We need to be different. This could be your way of being different. 

I heard a preacher once say, that you know you are doing the Christian life right, when pagans can take you to court on the charges of "You are a Christian", and be able to convict you of that crime.

If your life looks so much like the pagans, that no court could really convict you of being a Christian, then something is wrong.

And that does not include going to Church by the way.  Lots of non-christian people go to religious buildings, and live like crazy people.   We just saw that in the news recently, that a well known 'christian', was living like crazy people.

What about your life, proves you are a Christian?  That can start with the entertainment you engage in.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,367
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

We each have to decide (ideally in consultation with God) how much of the world we allow to influence our lives. Be it movies, or TV, or video games, or music, or other media etc. We are called by God to live and function in the world and interact with the world. And so we have to be able to deal with being exposed to the world.

But how much exposure should we permit? There is no law in Christianity telling us exactly where that line is. My suspicion is that the line is different for everyone. 1 John 2:15 warns us not to "love the things of the world" - so it is good to be cautious and considerate about our motives and priorities. We should be mindful that everything the world has to offer is a lie - intended to deceive us away from God. But "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning" (James 1:17). If you find yourself being enticed by the world's lies, then it may be a good idea to place some limitations on your exposure.

With regards to music specifically; Words have power, and music has the power to circumvent the conscious (so you catch yourself singing things without thinking about it). That is a potential danger in listening to music with worldly ideas and messages. But it is also a potential power for good (i.e. to find yourself worshipping without thinking about it).

Ultimately, the answer to this is between you and God. I'd be curious to know the origin of this question - i.e. did someone bring this up to you, or is it coming from you (and potentially a conviction of the Holy Spirit). If the Holy Spirit is convicting you (NOTE: "convicting", not condemning), you already have your answer.

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  771
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,938
  • Content Per Day:  3.06
  • Days Won:  1

We are gifted with Joy to sing which express feelings, to sing is the same as speaking but with melody so we shud use polite words n avoid vulgarities.