Markesmith

• Group:  Catholic
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  404
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0

Accept Jesus as your personal lord and savior?
Come to faith in Christ?
Or be baptized?

37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? (To be saved)

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Galatians 3:27

For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ

• 4 weeks later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

As Romans 2:8+9 says it is by grace, the free gift of God, Not by works that we are saved.

So when Peter tells them to Repent, they have to acknowledge, say they are sorry and change their way of life.

Be Baptised well no one is just dunked in water, that would be a bath, baptism is a public declaration of a change of allegiance, from being an orthodox Jew to being a follower of Jesus.

or to you believe that putting water on someone makes them aChristian, or is there something far greater happening.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  126
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,086
  • Content Per Day:  0.57
  • Birthday:  09/15/1956

Something being done in someone's name simply means by that person's Authority.   Demons were cast out in Jesus Name or by the authority of Jesus. 

1 Corinthians 1:12-15
Easy-to-Read Version
12 This is what I mean: One of you says, “I follow Paul,” and someone else says, “I follow Apollos.” Another says, “I follow Peter,”[a] and someone else says, “I follow Christ.” 13 Christ cannot be divided into different groups. It wasn’t Paul who died on the cross for you, was it? Were you baptized in Paul’s name? 14 I am thankful that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius. 15 I am thankful because now no one can say that you were baptized in my name.

• 2 months later...
On 9/10/2020 at 4:14 AM, Who me said:

As Romans 2:8+9 says it is by grace, the free gift of God, Not by works that we are saved.

So when Peter tells them to Repent, they have to acknowledge, say they are sorry and change their way of life.

Be Baptised well no one is just dunked in water, that would be a bath, baptism is a public declaration of a change of allegiance, from being an orthodox Jew to being a follower of Jesus.

or to you believe that putting water on someone makes them a Christian, or is there something far greater happening.

I think you mean Ephesians 2:8-9, not Romans.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/18/2020 at 10:42 AM, Markesmith said:

Accept Jesus as your personal lord and savior?
Come to faith in Christ?
Or be baptized?

37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? (To be saved)

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Galatians 3:27

For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ

A verse in isolation makes poor theology.   One must read all of Scripture including the non-canonical books,  History(including the church fathers) and Creeds.   The Didache makes it clear that Baptism is Trinitarian. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• 2 weeks later...

pray for everyone you ever knew.
stop at your local chamber of commerce,  mine in Brighton, Michigan USA gave me two boxes of healthy snacks.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  289
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

The New Covenant is basically about saved by Faith in Jesus. However because in the end it is about a reconciliation between God and men that men's repentance is required. Baptism on the other has many significance. One of them is to signify the switching to the New Covenant from the old default covenant that we are born with. Baptism to a certain extent resembles the circumcision of the Jews.

We all born as a gentile under a gentile's contract which is an old covenant. Everyone of us without exception is born with a default covenant according to which each individual will be judged in the Final Judgment. To everyone this is default but an old covenant to us. The New Covenant is not born with, you need to believe in Jesus with intention.

A Jews is formally switched to the Mosaic covenant by doing a circumcision on the eighth day after birth. Similar, we switch to the New Covenant from the default old one by doing a baptism. 

• 4 weeks later...

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,002
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

On 8/18/2020 at 9:42 AM, Markesmith said:

and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, by the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Ghost, which He shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior.

Titus 3:5-6

Having the Holy Ghost is the gift, having the Holy Ghost is the salvation. Therefore rejecting the direction of the Holy Ghost is rejecting the gift, rejecting salvation. We don't make ourselves righteous, the Holy Ghost makes us actually righteous, therefore on the day of the Lord we will be worthy to be up in the clouds with Him.  How are we to know the direction of the Holy Ghost? The direction and directives of the Holy Ghost came out of the mouth of Jesus: Luke 6:27-49.  And one sincerely focused on Him will also recognize His voice.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,132
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Rom 10:1-19

10 Brethren, my heart's desire and my prayer to God for them is for their salvation. 2 For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not in accordance with knowledge. 3 For not knowing about God's righteousness, and seeking to establish their own, they did not subject themselves to the righteousness of God. 4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes. 5 For Moses writes that the man who practices the righteousness which is based on law shall live by that righteousness. 6 But the righteousness based on faith speaks thus, "Do not say in your heart, 'Who will ascend into heaven?' (that is, to bring Christ down), 7 or' Who will descend into the abyss?' (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead)." 8 But what does it say? "The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart" —  that is, the word of faith which we are preaching, 9 that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved; 10 for with the heart man believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation. 11 For the Scripture says, "Whoever believes in Him will not be disappointed." 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, abounding in riches for all who call upon Him; 13 for "Whoever will call upon the name of the Lord will be saved." 14 How then shall they call upon Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? 15 And how shall they preach unless they are sent? Just as it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring glad tidings of good things!" 

16 However, they did not all heed the glad tidings; for Isaiah says, " Lord, who has believed our report?" 17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ. 18 But I say, surely they have never heard, have they? Indeed they have;

"Their voice has gone out into all the earth,
And their words to the ends of the world." 

19 But I say, surely Israel did not know, did they? At the first Moses says, 

"I will make you jealous by that which is not a nation,
By a nation without understanding will I anger you." 

20 And Isaiah is very bold and says,

"I was found by those who sought Me not,
I became manifest to those who did not ask for Me." 

21 But as for Israel He says, "All the day long I have stretched out My hands to a disobedient and obstinate people." 
NASB

You can't get the full context of slavation by pulling single verses out of scripture.

But declaring that Jesus is your Lord is not a simple thing when you realize what a Lord is.    And we are warned throughout all scripture about not doing what God has told us.    Old Testament and Law to those following what Moses taught, and New Testament on what Jesus told us how to live.

We argue about whether or not works saves a person and I have always said no they don't....   However I think I can say that if you are saved you will have works.  It's the simple nature of those people who have declared that Jesus is their Lord.   They do as he has told us.

James said it well when he said something to the effect of,  just as the body without the spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.   Saved people live as Jesus us their Lord.....    and those have works even though the works do not save them.....    but if one has no works, is one really saved, or did they just lie when they confessed the Lordship of Jesus.

• This is Worthy 1

The Didache shows historically how the early church baptized.    As I pointed out before "in the name of" naming only one person states by whose authority.   We know from the Great Commission the formula.