IGNORED

Who Received the Birthright of Israel's 12 Sons?

Jedi4Yahweh

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  1

I am just curious who actually received the firstborn birthright of Israels sons?    It was supposed to go to Ruben but Israel refused him the birth right due to Ruben dishonoring him by sleeping with his father's concubine.  So naturally it would go to the next eldest son in line, which was Simeon and then Levi but Israel refused to give them the birth right because of the what they did by killing all the men of Shechem after they raped their sister.  Next inline was Judah and it seems according to scripture that Judah received the first born birth right based on the following scripture.

Judah, thou [art he] whom thy brethren shall praise: thy hand [shall be] in the neck of thine enemies; thy father's children shall bow down before thee. 9 Judah [is] a lion's whelp: from the prey, my son, thou art gone up: he stooped down, he couched as a lion, and as an old lion; who shall rouse him up? 10 The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh come; and unto him [shall] the gathering of the people [be]. - Gen 49:8-10 KJV

This makes sense because the Promise of the Messiah came through Judah, yet many websites blogs are showing that Ephraim Joseph's son received the first born birth right which makes no sense to me.  This would mean that God skipped over all 12 sons to Israel to give it to Ephraim.  Please help me understand if I am incorrect.  If Ephraim received the blessing of the Promise why didn't Messiah come from Ephriam's linage?   

Edited by Jedi4Yahweh

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  277
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  0

Josephs sons were given the birthright. But the house of Judah was given the authority to rule. These are two different things.

2 hours ago, Ozarkbound said:

Josephs sons were given the birthright. But the house of Judah was given the authority to rule. These are two different things.

Explain using scriptures.  Thanks

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,946
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

2 hours ago, Jedi4Yahweh said:

I am just curious who actually received the firstborn birthright of Israels sons?    It was supposed to go to Ruben but Israel refused him the birth right due to Ruben dishonoring him by sleeping with his father's concubine.  So naturally it would go to the next eldest son in line, which was Simeon and then Levi but Israel refused to give them the birth right because of the what they did by killing all the men of Shechem after they raped their sister.  Next inline was Judah and it seems according to scripture that Judah received the first born birth right based on the following scripture.

Judah, thou [art he] whom thy brethren shall praise: thy hand [shall be] in the neck of thine enemies; thy father's children shall bow down before thee. 9 Judah [is] a lion's whelp: from the prey, my son, thou art gone up: he stooped down, he couched as a lion, and as an old lion; who shall rouse him up? 10 The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh come; and unto him [shall] the gathering of the people [be]. - Gen 49:8-10 KJV

This makes sense because the Promise of the Messiah came through Judah, yet many websites blogs are showing that Ephraim Joseph's son received the first born birth right which makes no sense to me.  This would mean that God skipped over all 12 sons to Israel to give it to Ephraim.  Please help me understand if I am incorrect.  If Ephraim received the blessing of the Promise why didn't Messiah come from Ephriam's linage?   

Here's the deal:

The patriarchs in the Old Testament times usually governed their families directly—their wives, sons, unmarried daughters, families of the sons, and so on. When the father died, he was succeeded as head of the family by a son.

So that there would be no disputation as to which son would succeed the father, the practice of primogeniture, or the law of the firstborn, developed. (Prime means “first”; geniture has to do with birth.) Upon the death of the father, the firstborn (eldest) son became the new head of the family. As this was his right because of the order of his birth, he was referred to as the birthright son (see Gen. 43:33). The birthright son was entitled to a double portion (that is, twice as much as any other son) of the father’s inheritance—one portion as a son, the second portion as the new head responsible for the family (see Gen. 48:22; Deut. 21:17), including the care of his mother and unmarried sisters. As firstborn son, under the Aaronic order, he also held the right of presiding over the family. (See also the “Bible Dictionary” in the new LDS edition of the King James Bible, pp. 625, 675.)

When the father had only one wife, there was no question as to who the birthright son would be. However, in those days the Lord permitted some of his patriarchs to have more than one wife (polygyny). Thus the father might have several “firstborn” sons, possibly one from each of his wives. The question then naturally arose as to which firstborn son of which wife would become the head of the entire family upon the death of the father. Custom and tradition indicated that the first wife should have precedence over the other wives; thus it was determined that the firstborn son of the first wife would be the birthright son as long as he proved worthy. Only in case of unworthiness or death would the birthright go to the firstborn son of the second wife. No second-born sons were considered for the birthright unless all firstborn sons proved to be unworthy.

An understanding of these customs helps one to understand the following episodes in the Bible concerning the “right to rule” among the patriarchs.

Isaac and Ishmael

The Bible lists three wives for Abraham: Sarah, Hagar, and Keturah. Hagar, the second wife, was the first to have a son, Ishmael. Ishmael was thus the birthright son of Abraham as long as the first wife (Sarah) did not have a son. When Sarah gave birth to Isaac, Isaac held the birthright because he was the firstborn son of the first wife.

Jacob and Esau

The Bible lists Rebekah as the only wife for Isaac, and from that marriage came twin sons: Esau, the firstborn, and Jacob. As the firstborn son of the first wife, Esau was the birthright son according to the practice of primogeniture. However, Esau proved to be unworthy of the birthright because he did not marry within the covenant group as desired by his father and mother (see Gen. 26:34–35). Also, Esau, at least temporarily, lost his desire for the birthright and sold it to Jacob for some “bread and pottage of lentils” (see Gen. 25:29–34; Heb. 12:16). Jacob, the second-born son, then became the birthright son of Isaac. Even before the twins were born, the Lord informed Rebekah: “Two nations are in thy womb … and the one people shall be stronger than the other people; and the elder shall serve the younger” (Gen. 25:23). This fact should be kept in mind to understand why Rebekah wanted her husband, Isaac, to give the greater blessing to Jacob.

Joseph and Reuben

Jacob, also known as Israel, married at least four wives in the following order: Leah, Rachel, Bilhah, and Zilpah. From these wives Jacob had twelve sons (listed in the order of their birth, with the name of the mother in parentheses): (1) Reuben (Leah), (2) Simeon (Leah), (3) Levi (Leah), (4) Judah (Leah), (5) Dan (Bilhah), (6) Naphtali (Bilhah), (7) Gad (Zilpah), (8) Asher (Zilpah), (9) Issachar (Leah), (10) Zebulun (Leah), (11) Joseph (Rachel), and (12) Benjamin (Rachel).

As the firstborn son of the first wife, Reuben was the birthright son. When Reuben proved to be unworthy by committing adultery with Bilhah (see Gen. 35:21–22; Gen. 49:3–4), the birthright went to the firstborn son of the second wife—Joseph, the son of Rachel (see 1 Chr. 5:1). Although Joseph was the eleventh-born son in order of birth, he was second in line for the birthright because he was the firstborn son of the second wife. Jacob had a special coat made for Joseph so that the other brothers would recognize Joseph’s right to preside over the family upon his father’s death.

Ephraim and Manasseh

As far as the Bible indicates, Joseph had only one wife, Asenath, and they had only two sons: Manasseh, the firstborn, and Ephraim (see Gen. 41:50–52). When Joseph brought his two sons to their grandfather Jacob for a father’s (or patriarchal) blessing, it is obvious that Joseph expected Manasseh to receive the greater blessing, and it “displeased” Joseph when Jacob “set Ephraim before Manasseh” and gave the greater blessing to the younger brother (Gen. 48:17–20). Neither the Bible nor modern scripture explains specifically why Jacob departed from the usual practice of primogeniture, but the Joseph Smith Translation (JST, Gen. 48:5–11) and the Doctrine and Covenants (D&C 133:32–34) indicate that Jacob was directed by the Lord in giving the greater blessing to Ephraim. Thus Ephraim received the birthright of Joseph, and Joseph received the birthright of Jacob (Israel). In a sense, then, Ephraim is the birthright son of Israel, as confirmed by the Lord through his prophet Jeremiah: “I am a father to Israel, and Ephraim is my firstborn” (Jer. 31:9). [Source ]

1 hour ago, Michael37 said:

Here's the deal:

Ephraim and Manasseh

As far as the Bible indicates, Joseph had only one wife, Asenath, and they had only two sons: Manasseh, the firstborn, and Ephraim (see Gen. 41:50–52). When Joseph brought his two sons to their grandfather Jacob for a father’s (or patriarchal) blessing, it is obvious that Joseph expected Manasseh to receive the greater blessing, and it “displeased” Joseph when Jacob “set Ephraim before Manasseh” and gave the greater blessing to the younger brother (Gen. 48:17–20). Neither the Bible nor modern scripture explains specifically why Jacob departed from the usual practice of primogeniture, but the Joseph Smith Translation (JST, Gen. 48:5–11) and the Doctrine and Covenants (D&C 133:32–34) indicate that Jacob was directed by the Lord in giving the greater blessing to Ephraim. Thus Ephraim received the birthright of Joseph, and Joseph received the birthright of Jacob (Israel). In a sense, then, Ephraim is the birthright son of Israel, as confirmed by the Lord through his prophet Jeremiah: “I am a father to Israel, and Ephraim is my firstborn” (Jer. 31:9). [Source ]

Quotes from the Joseph Smith and the Mormon Doctrines???

I understand that Joseph received a double portion of land because of his two sons but that does not mean he got the first born blessing IMO.  It does not even make sense that it would go to Ephraim.  The blessing went to the son whom would carry out the linage of the Messiah the seed of the Promise.  Ephraim seed did not produce the Messiah its was Judah's seed.  Abraham passed the blessing to Isaac,  Isaac passed the blessing to Jacob and Jacob passed the blessing to Judah.  It was in the linage of Judah that the Messiah came from not Ephraim.  If you read in scriptures God divorced Ephraim which was the leader of Northern Tribes of Israel.  Ephraim was enslaved by Assyria and never returned to land of Israel.  If your read the list of tribes in Rev 7 Ephraim is not even counted in the 144000.

He drove His adversaries backward; He put on them an everlasting reproach. He also rejected the tent of Joseph, And did not choose the tribe of Ephraim, But chose the tribe of Judah, Mount Zion which He loved. - Psa 78:66-68 NASB

Edited by Jedi4Yahweh

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,946
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

42 minutes ago, Jedi4Yahweh said:

Quotes from the Joseph Smith and the Mormon Doctrines???

I understand that Joseph received a double portion of land because of his two sons but that does not mean he got the first born blessing IMO.  It does not even make sense that it would go to Ephraim.  The blessing went to the son whom would carry out the linage of the Messiah the seed of the Promise.  Ephraim seed did not produce the Messiah its was Judah's seed.  Abraham passed the blessing to Isaac,  Isaac passed the blessing to Jacob and Jacob passed the blessing to Judah.  It was in the linage of Judah that the Messiah came from not Ephraim.  If you read in scriptures God divorced Ephraim which was the leader of Northern Tribes of Israel.  Ephraim was enslaved by Assyria and never returned to land of Israel.  If your read the list of tribes in Rev 7 Ephraim is not even counted in the 144000.

He drove His adversaries backward; He put on them an everlasting reproach. He also rejected the tent of Joseph, And did not choose the tribe of Ephraim, But chose the tribe of Judah, Mount Zion which He loved. - Psa 78:66-68 NASB

For all their faults the Mormons are very good on genealogies.

There is no reason given in Scripture as to why Ephraim received the birthright of Joseph instead of the firstborn Manasseh. If you just want to know who the firstborn were that's for you to research, but as supplied, the firstborn did not always receive the birthright.

As for Ephraim, it all works out for good in the end...

Zec 10:6-12  And I will strengthen the house of Judah, and I will save the house of Joseph, and I will bring them again to place them; for I have mercy upon them: and they shall be as though I had not cast them off: for I am the LORD their God, and will hear them.  (7)  And they of Ephraim shall be like a mighty man, and their heart shall rejoice as through wine: yea, their children shall see it, and be glad; their heart shall rejoice in the LORD.  (8)  I will hiss for them, and gather them; for I have redeemed them: and they shall increase as they have increased.  (9)  And I will sow them among the people: and they shall remember me in far countries; and they shall live with their children, and turn again.  (10)  I will bring them again also out of the land of Egypt, and gather them out of Assyria; and I will bring them into the land of Gilead and Lebanon; and place shall not be found for them.  (11)  And he shall pass through the sea with affliction, and shall smite the waves in the sea, and all the deeps of the river shall dry up: and the pride of Assyria shall be brought down, and the sceptre of Egypt shall depart away.  (12)  And I will strengthen them in the LORD; and they shall walk up and down in his name, says the LORD.

11 hours ago, Michael37 said:

For all their faults the Mormons are very good on genealogies.

There is no reason given in Scripture as to why Ephraim received the birthright of Joseph instead of the firstborn Manasseh. If you just want to know who the firstborn were that's for you to research, but as supplied, the firstborn did not always receive the birthright.

As for Ephraim, it all works out for good in the end...

Zec 10:6-12  And I will strengthen the house of Judah, and I will save the house of Joseph, and I will bring them again to place them; for I have mercy upon them: and they shall be as though I had not cast them off: for I am the LORD their God, and will hear them.  (7)  And they of Ephraim shall be like a mighty man, and their heart shall rejoice as through wine: yea, their children shall see it, and be glad; their heart shall rejoice in the LORD.  (8)  I will hiss for them, and gather them; for I have redeemed them: and they shall increase as they have increased.  (9)  And I will sow them among the people: and they shall remember me in far countries; and they shall live with their children, and turn again.  (10)  I will bring them again also out of the land of Egypt, and gather them out of Assyria; and I will bring them into the land of Gilead and Lebanon; and place shall not be found for them.  (11)  And he shall pass through the sea with affliction, and shall smite the waves in the sea, and all the deeps of the river shall dry up: and the pride of Assyria shall be brought down, and the sceptre of Egypt shall depart away.  (12)  And I will strengthen them in the LORD; and they shall walk up and down in his name, says the LORD.

There is a teaching going around that Ephraim has become the nations out side of Israel based on this scripture:   

But his father refused and said, "I know, my son, I know; he also will become a people and he also will be great. However, his younger brother shall be greater than he, and his (Ephraim's) descendants shall become a multitude of nations." - Gen 48:19 NASB  

The bible says the Ephriam was scattered into ALL the nations and has become the nations.  The word for 'nations' is same word for Gentiles.  Meaning Ephraim would become a multitude of gentile nations that God will bring back into Israel in the last days.  Many believe this is referring to gentile believers who follow Messiah are the descendants of Ephriam and will be gathered back into Israel in the last days...but I am pretty sure you are aware of this based on your Zec 10:6-12 quote.

Edited by Jedi4Yahweh

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  358
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  0

Man's customs of firstborn don't always align with God's will.  The firstborn to man is the eldest son.  The first born to God is the most loved and favored by God..

The first man born of woman was Cain.  He didn't too well.  Any notions of firstborn "rights" were revoked by God.

Gen 4:11

And now thou art cursed from the earth, which hath opened her mouth to receive thy brothers blood from thy hand.  When thou tillest the ground, it shall not henceforth yield unto thee her strength, a fugitive and a vagabond shalt thou be in the earth.

Ishmael was the older brother of Isaac.  But God clearly chose Isaac.

Gen 17:18-19

And Abraham said unto God, O that Ishmael might live before thee!  And God said, Sarah thy wife shall bear thee a son indeed, and thou shalt call his name Isaac, and I will establish my covenant with him for an everlasting covenant, and with his seed after him.

Jacob is the younger brother of Esau, but God chose Jacob to be firstborn in his sight.

Rom 9:11-12

And not only this, but when Rebecca also had conceived by one, even by our father Isaac (For the children being not yet born, neither having done good or evil, that the purpose of God, according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth.  It was said unto her, the elder shall serve the younger.

Joseph is the youngest son of the 11 born to Jacob (Benjamin was born later) when he becomes the firstborn of Jacob through love rather than age.  As you correctly pointed out, God chooses his brother Judah for the everlasting king line, while rewarding Joseph's line through Ephraim with the dominant northern kingdom of Israel (which will later be destroyed by the Assyrians).

King David is just a boy, the youngest son of Jesse, when Samuel annoints him to be king.

God chooses who he will.  He knows the hearts and minds of those he loves before they are even born.  He is not bound by the traditions of men.  He chooses who he will and then builds them up to what he wants them to be, knowing that they will respond to him out of love.

And then there is the true firstborn of God and all things.  The love between the Father and the Son exceeds all things.  We cannot even comprehend the depth of this love.

Col 1:15

Who (Jesus) is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature.

Col 1:18

And he is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things he might have preeminence.

22 minutes ago, Logostician said:

Man's customs of firstborn don't always align with God's will.  The firstborn to man is the eldest son.  The first born to God is the most loved and favored by God..

The first man born of woman was Cain.  He didn't too well.  Any notions of firstborn "rights" were revoked by God.

Gen 4:11

And now thou art cursed from the earth, which hath opened her mouth to receive thy brothers blood from thy hand.  When thou tillest the ground, it shall not henceforth yield unto thee her strength, a fugitive and a vagabond shalt thou be in the earth.

Ishmael was the older brother of Isaac.  But God clearly chose Isaac.

Gen 17:18-19

And Abraham said unto God, O that Ishmael might live before thee!  And God said, Sarah thy wife shall bear thee a son indeed, and thou shalt call his name Isaac, and I will establish my covenant with him for an everlasting covenant, and with his seed after him.

Jacob is the younger brother of Esau, but God chose Jacob to be firstborn in his sight.

Rom 9:11-12

And not only this, but when Rebecca also had conceived by one, even by our father Isaac (For the children being not yet born, neither having done good or evil, that the purpose of God, according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth.  It was said unto her, the elder shall serve the younger.

Joseph is the youngest son of the 11 born to Jacob (Benjamin was born later) when he becomes the firstborn of Jacob through love rather than age.  As you correctly pointed out, God chooses his brother Judah for the everlasting king line, while rewarding Joseph's line through Ephraim with the dominant northern kingdom of Israel (which will later be destroyed by the Assyrians).

King David is just a boy, the youngest son of Jesse, when Samuel annoints him to be king.

God chooses who he will.  He knows the hearts and minds of those he loves before they are even born.  He is not bound by the traditions of men.  He chooses who he will and then builds them up to what he wants them to be, knowing that they will respond to him out of love.

And then there is the true firstborn of God and all things.  The love between the Father and the Son exceeds all things.  We cannot even comprehend the depth of this love.

Col 1:15

Who (Jesus) is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature.

Col 1:18

And he is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things he might have preeminence.

Yes, I understand that as stated in my post but, by default it goes to the first born hence why its called the Blessing of the First Born, but as you stated it does not always work out that way such as in Isaac and Jacobs situation.  Esau actually sold his birth right to Jacob.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

If you mean between Easu and Jacob,

Esau did.

Jacob was given his fortune by way of his chiseling uncle Lebon.

The point being the actual birthright was the spiritual one

which Jacob received.