_thinkdeeply

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  25
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

If someone asks you, "you say there is only one God, but even within Christianity, there are a lot of denominations fighting over the 'correct' interpretation". How would you defend your faith?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,265
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, _thinkdeeply said:

If someone asks you, "you say there is only one God, but even within Christianity, there are a lot of denominations fighting over the 'correct' interpretation". How would you defend your faith?

16. Isaiah 46:9 — For I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me.

God says so!!

1 Chronicles 17:20 — O LORD, there is none like thee, neither is there any God beside thee, according to all that we have heard with our ears.

27. 1 Timothy 2:5 — For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

28. James 2:19 — Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.30
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

3 hours ago, _thinkdeeply said:

I don't have to defend what other Christians do - only what I do. I try to obey Jesus. Jesus is motivated only by love and knows what is best for us.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.71

4 hours ago, _thinkdeeply said:

Sorry, lots of denominations 'fighting' over the correct interpretation?

Where?

Please supply chapter and verse where this is happening.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,293
  • Content Per Day:  7.99
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

I do not find the oneness group to practice a hermeneutic with the written Word or else they would not be as they are... they have let their minds rule in the interpretation of Scripture .... 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  578
  • Content Per Day:  0.39

1 John 2:27:

But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

There's only one truth, and Christ is not divided. All religions which are of man teach that a man must work for his salvation. Many "denominations" mix works up with faith and show themselves to be apostate, in rejection of the truth. Because there's one truth, that Jesus Christ has saved His people by His death and resurrection. And that He has given us of His Spirit--the Spirit of truth, because the Spirit is truth--that we may know we're His (1 John 4:13, 1 Cor 2:12). Having received the earnest of the Spirit, I don't work to earn, keep, or prove my own salvation. The truth sets you free. Yes, there are many who call themselves Christians who are deceived--that is, deceiving and being deceived. These are, after all, the perilous times of the last days. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Content Count:  1,413
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

8 hours ago, _thinkdeeply said:

I would point out that Christians don't argue about God so much as about points of doctrine. This is just a natural thing when humans enter the picture. Look at any major religion and you'll find many sects and denominations. Two things from Scripture spring to mind. One is that Jesus put it very simply in summing up what we should do with just two commandments: Love God with all our hearts and love our neighbors as ourselves. And second, like Don19 pointed out, I Corinthians 2:12, though I'd include the surrounding verses as well. It's a call for unity in a time when some were saying "I am of Peter." and others were saying "I am of Apollos" and it was both becoming divisive and missing the point. We can see the same sort of sentiment today when things get heated between believers. "I am of Calvin." and "I am of Luther." and "I am of (insert denomination here)".

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  441
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  03/20/1970

I think some people(mostly Atheists) are always saying things like this to further discredit Christianity, as if they haven't already done or said enough to accomplish this?? Well apparently not, because they keep mentioning it, but things like this are all just excuses that unbelievers are using to justify there own stance on Faith as a whole.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  578
  • Content Per Day:  0.39

27 minutes ago, AnOrangeCat said:

I would point out that Christians don't argue about God so much as about points of doctrine. This is just a natural thing when humans enter the picture. Look at any major religion and you'll find many sects and denominations. Two things from Scripture spring to mind. One is that Jesus put it very simply in summing up what we should do with just two commandments: Love God with all our hearts and love our neighbors as ourselves. And second, like Don19 pointed out, I Corinthians 2:12, though I'd include the surrounding verses as well. It's a call for unity in a time when some were saying "I am of Peter." and others were saying "I am of Apollos" and it was both becoming divisive and missing the point. We can see the same sort of sentiment today when things get heated between believers. "I am of Calvin." and "I am of Luther." and "I am of (insert denomination here)".

There's a segue from 1 Cor 2 to 1 Cor 3. In 1 Cor 2:4-16, Paul is talking about the gift of the Holy Spirit, and that is what I was referring to in citing that verse. So I was attempting to answer the OP. There's one true and narrow way, not many. How do we know we're in the truth? It is through the Spirit of truth.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,907
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Birthday:  03/06/1952

12 hours ago, _thinkdeeply said:

My faith is that God is able to work though man because He can do what is impossible for us. We are not to trust in man, we are to put our trust in God and in His faith. Because man's faith is little more than a placebo.