Buddy D. Mouse

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  108
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

In 1 Corinthians 13 is our great AGAPE love chapter; the superiority of AGAPE to any of the gifts is the theme.

"Although I speak with the tongues of men AND OF ANGELS" and here we go...

Is Paul being hyperbolic here? Was Jesus being hyperbolic about casting mountains into the sea? 

Well, hyperbole is a figure of speech that the Bible uses.

In any case, Paul writes that tongues of angels are a thing that could exist. Way back in the INITIAL OUTPOURING to the 120 believers, there was no cause to speak in human languages only among the local believers - 120 in upper room - though very quickly there WAS a need to communicate with Parthians, Cretans and whoever - in their actual human languages.

We cannot dismiss out of hand that Paul might speak in the tongues of angels - he wouldn't know what he was saying, he contrasted praying in the spirit with "praying with understanding" - said he would do both... But a part of our ELEPHANT is the man that speaketh in the spirit to God - that this is something different than a message to the church that needs to be interpreted is significant.

Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

Well, those are the verses for THE FORBIDDEN SUBJECT  to this thread - the CEASING of tongues, the failing of prophecies, the vanishing away of knowledge - might it be specifically WORD OF KNOWLEDGE?

But as said, this thread will not get into cessationism vs continuationism.

We will look at tongues as mentioned in the New Testament, without trying to define THAT WHICH IS PERFECT - TELEIOS - complete, mature...

The ceasing, failing, vanishing away applies to three specific gifts.

If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?

Unlearned or unbelievers will think those MAD who are all speaking in tongues...

Hmmm...

I wouldn't want to be either unlearned or unbeliever - and I wouldn't want to be out of order either - so it might be a slippery slope to be totally in order and by the book as far as speaking in tongues.

Here I will digress to a period in my past when I attended a charismatic Episcopal church. I was usually in Methodist churches.

I mean they went BY THE BOOK - no tongues without interpretation, ever.  I usually sat up front at the right, one sunday we sat on the left, way in the back. Someone gave a message in tongues at the upper right of the sanctuary, in the area where I normally sat. And we waited for an interpretation. And we waited. And we waited.

Then a CELL PHONE rang. Someone answered their cell phone, then quite close by FINALLY came the interpretation. It was just a coincidence, but I died laughing - it was as if the interpretation had come in by phone!

OK - back to the New Testament.

If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.
But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.
Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.
If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace.

That BY THE BOOK Episcopal church in Dallas followed all that to a T.

Unfortunately at that time the Episcopal church in New Hampshire appointed a gay Bishop, and it tore everything up, its hard to explain, even though the church in Dallas was conservative, its Bishop conservative - the whole focus was gay gay gay gay because of some gay bishop in New Hampshire.

I went back Methodist.

Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,
In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

I'm done with Corinthians for now, that last passage has nothing to do with tongues, just a favorite of mine.

Oops. Forgot SECOND Corinthians... duh...