• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,245
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

2 hours ago, anynmsfmly said:

So you can't use wifi ? At all ? Oh darn..............................

you can use wifi, but just not use the built in app for making voice over IP when there is no phone signal....    which I need to do in a couple of places we frequent when camping.   there is wifi but no cell towers close enough for the phones to work.   My new phones are T-Mobile locked so their system can track where I am using the wifi and I can receive calls...

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,115
  • Content Per Day:  9.69
  • Days Won:  149

2 hours ago, other one said:

you can use wifi, but just not use the built in app for making voice over IP when there is no phone signal....    which I need to do in a couple of places we frequent when camping.   there is wifi but no cell towers close enough for the phones to work.   My new phones are T-Mobile locked so their system can track where I am using the wifi and I can receive calls...

You might be able to download an app that does similar? Just a thought.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,245
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

47 minutes ago, Starise said:

You might be able to download an app that does similar? Just a thought.

Skipe can do that if you have an account.   But it's not going to work on your phone number unless they changed something.

Just one of those little things one should check on before getting an unlocked phone..  they are a bit less expensive and not everyone has that need.

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  180
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

Two years ago I cut the cable and put up an attic antenna for about $45. We live about 40 miles east of Dallas, TX and we get more channels than we watch. I saved about $70/month. Also, my wife likes to watch the Hallmark movies which are not found on the antenna, so I subscribed to the Hallmark channel for $60/year and stream the movies from Hallmark, and my wife has been an Amazon Prime member for several years so I purchased an amazon fire stick and we stream a lot of stuff with it. The Amazon membership is $128/year + the Hallmark membership is $60/years which adds up to $188/year; I was previously paying about $840/year for cable so that is a savings of over $650/year.

Six years ago we started buying our eye glasses from an online website called Zenni. We have to get new glasses every year because of our age and the $450-$500 for a pair of glasses was getting to be a real expense for us every year so the we tried Zenni and have been happy with all of our purchases from them. We pay about $120/pair for progressive bifocals from Zenni.  (NO, I don't work for Zenni.)

I hated replacing the water filter on our refrigerator every 6 months at $40 each time so I purchased a by-pass filter from the manufacturer at about $40 and replaced the 6 months filter with that by-pass, then I purchased a 5 year filter at Lowes for about $35 and installed it in the water line on the back of the refrigerator. It works, and I don't work at Lowes.

My wife and I use Tracfone cell phones. We don;t use a lot of data, but we do use a lot of texting. We pay  $25/every 2 months +tax, and have more talk & texts than we use.

Finally, 8 years ago I cancelled our home landline with a well known carrier and purchased a Home Base station from Walmart, Straighttalk Base Station for $99. Plug the cordless phone into it and we have a home landline that uses Verizon cell towers. Works great and cost only $15/month for unlimited nationwide calling + $1.69 tax, and does not required internet. It actually converts the cordless or corded home phone into a cell phone that is used only as a home landline. Save $700+ per year. Oh, that base station now costs $49 at Walmart. No, I don't work there either.

Regards,

John

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,115
  • Content Per Day:  9.69
  • Days Won:  149

On 4/6/2021 at 8:32 PM, john14:6 said:

Two years ago I cut the cable and put up an attic antenna for about $45. We live about 40 miles east of Dallas, TX and we get more channels than we watch. I saved about $70/month. Also, my wife likes to watch the Hallmark movies which are not found on the antenna, so I subscribed to the Hallmark channel for $60/year and stream the movies from Hallmark, and my wife has been an Amazon Prime member for several years so I purchased an amazon fire stick and we stream a lot of stuff with it. The Amazon membership is $128/year + the Hallmark membership is $60/years which adds up to $188/year; I was previously paying about $840/year for cable so that is a savings of over $650/year.

Six years ago we started buying our eye glasses from an online website called Zenni. We have to get new glasses every year because of our age and the $450-$500 for a pair of glasses was getting to be a real expense for us every year so the we tried Zenni and have been happy with all of our purchases from them. We pay about $120/pair for progressive bifocals from Zenni.  (NO, I don't work for Zenni.)

I hated replacing the water filter on our refrigerator every 6 months at $40 each time so I purchased a by-pass filter from the manufacturer at about $40 and replaced the 6 months filter with that by-pass, then I purchased a 5 year filter at Lowes for about $35 and installed it in the water line on the back of the refrigerator. It works, and I don't work at Lowes.

My wife and I use Tracfone cell phones. We don;t use a lot of data, but we do use a lot of texting. We pay  $25/every 2 months +tax, and have more talk & texts than we use.

Finally, 8 years ago I cancelled our home landline with a well known carrier and purchased a Home Base station from Walmart, Straighttalk Base Station for $99. Plug the cordless phone into it and we have a home landline that uses Verizon cell towers. Works great and cost only $15/month for unlimited nationwide calling + $1.69 tax, and does not required internet. It actually converts the cordless or corded home phone into a cell phone that is used only as a home landline. Save $700+ per year. Oh, that base station now costs $49 at Walmart. No, I don't work there either.

Regards,

John

Great tips here John, Thanks for these ideas.

One idea I recently found out about I thought I would share. If you use a shop canister vaccum and buy those shop vaccum filters, there is no need to do that. Simply wrap paper towels around the filter area and secure with rubber bands. Works well. Might not last quite as long as the store bought filter, but then consider you had a filter for the cost of a few paper towels.

Like any filter, obviously it doesn't play well with water. Not HEPA but neither are the basic shop vac filters. Works great as a sawdust removal vac filter in a wood shop or any basic pick up chore. You don't need to wrap multiple layers of paper towel. Just one will do, unless the paper towels are extra flimsy.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.95
  • Days Won:  10

I have a TV antenna, cable is expensive.

• Thumbs Up 2

Guest AFlameOfFire
On 4/16/2021 at 10:01 PM, Whyme said:

I have a TV antenna, cable is expensive.

We could kick ourselves 7 years ago we decided to take down our huge house antenna, we have satellite TV and just never got around to taking it down (or thought we would ever cancel sattelite. And wouldn't you know it (as usual) once you get rid of something it almost always seems to become more relevant to your situation down the road sometime.

I also regret having that Antenna taken down, now I am looking to repurchase one so we could cancel sattelite but still have a few channels to turn to. But I am having a hard time figuring out which one to buy, they all seem so small compared to the one we removed. We live rurally so there is not a whole lot of channels we would be able to get even if we could.

Do you (or anyone here) know if the larger ones even sold any more, or even who to call to have one installed? I want to find one with the best distance otherwise its not going to be worth getting one at all. Then when I checked the channels we would get with a 50 mile range it wasnt anything I would ever watch if I were bored or looking for truthful news info. Then I thought, why am I even bothering to look into getting a new antenna only to be stuck with the those very things I would never watch? 

If I could find 200 mile range that would be better, I can get one channel I wouldnt mind having.

What options are there for antennas? Or are there other options that are not cable, sattelite or streaming?

Anyone know anything about these sorts of things? I am glad someone brought this up because thats the next thing on the list, the price keeps going up on Dish and it would be nice to drop it.

7 minutes ago, AFlameOfFire said:

We could kick ourselves 7 years ago we decided to take down our huge house antenna, we have satellite TV and just never got around to taking it down (or thought we would ever cancel sattelite. And wouldn't you know it (as usual) once you get rid of something it almost always seems to become more relevant to your situation down the road sometime.

I also regret having that Antenna taken down, now I am looking to repurchase one so we could cancel sattelite but still have a few channels to turn to. But I am having a hard time figuring out which one to buy, they all seem so small compared to the one we removed. We live rurally so there is not a whole lot of channels we would be able to get even if we could.

Do you (or anyone here) know if the larger ones even sold any more, or even who to call to have one installed? I want to find one with the best distance otherwise its not going to be worth getting one at all. Then when I checked the channels we would get with a 50 mile range it wasnt anything I would ever watch if I were bored or looking for truthful news info. Then I thought, why am I even bothering to look into getting a new antenna only to be stuck with the those very things I would never watch? 

If I could find 200 mile range that would be better, I can get one channel I wouldnt mind having.

What options are there for antennas? Or are there other options that are not cable, sattelite or streaming?

Anyone know anything about these sorts of things? I am glad someone brought this up because thats the next thing on the list, the price keeps going up on Dish and it would be nice to drop it.

As far as I know it's cable,  satellite, streaming or antenna. I have a small antenna only 15 to 20 feet off the ground. The problem i have is days when reception is poor. Maybe a higher antenna might work? I've heard of combining two antennas to get a wider range of channels.. I would like to try that and a signal booster. https://www.solidsignal.com

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, AFlameOfFire said:

As far as I know it's cable,  satellite, streaming or antenna. I have a small antenna only 15 to 20 feet off the ground. The problem i have is days when reception is poor. Maybe a higher antenna might work? I've heard of combining two antennas to get a wider range of channels.. I would like to try that and a signal booster. https://www.solidsignal.com

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  667
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  0

I have an multi directional HD antenna I bought for 65 dollars, and it works fine for me, pulling in stations in all directions up to 100 miles away. 200 miles, I suppose you would go with an directional antenna with an rotor built in. I had one before I bought my current multi directional antenna from Amazon for about30 dollars. I just could not tell what direction it was pointed unless I went out and looked at it but it worked fine.

• Thumbs Up 1