• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,117
  • Content Per Day:  9.69
  • Days Won:  149

4 hours ago, AFlameOfFire said:

We could kick ourselves 7 years ago we decided to take down our huge house antenna, we have satellite TV and just never got around to taking it down (or thought we would ever cancel sattelite. And wouldn't you know it (as usual) once you get rid of something it almost always seems to become more relevant to your situation down the road sometime.

I also regret having that Antenna taken down, now I am looking to repurchase one so we could cancel sattelite but still have a few channels to turn to. But I am having a hard time figuring out which one to buy, they all seem so small compared to the one we removed. We live rurally so there is not a whole lot of channels we would be able to get even if we could.

Do you (or anyone here) know if the larger ones even sold any more, or even who to call to have one installed? I want to find one with the best distance otherwise its not going to be worth getting one at all. Then when I checked the channels we would get with a 50 mile range it wasnt anything I would ever watch if I were bored or looking for truthful news info. Then I thought, why am I even bothering to look into getting a new antenna only to be stuck with the those very things I would never watch? 

If I could find 200 mile range that would be better, I can get one channel I wouldnt mind having.

What options are there for antennas? Or are there other options that are not cable, sattelite or streaming?

Anyone know anything about these sorts of things? I am glad someone brought this up because thats the next thing on the list, the price keeps going up on Dish and it would be nice to drop it.

I guess much depends on if you like the channels you can get on antennae. It might be somewhat of a shock to discover the differences between cable/dish and what you can see on an antennae. 

Many moons ago one of my first jobs was an electronics repair technician, as a side line the TV business I worked for put up antennas and satellite dishes. We had a device that measured signal strength of the stations at any location, so we had a good indication of how many channels you could get and how well they would come in. Back then things had not migrated to HD TV which is now a requirement in the US. Back then, you could get a station weak or a little grainy in the picture and still watch it. With HD TV you either have it or you don't. If it comes in it looks nice. If it doesn't you're out of luck. Naturally the less rural you are in proximity to large cities the more channels you'll probably bring in.

Two things you could do is maybe call and ask a local TV antenna installer what stations do well in your area, then check their programming. They might tell you on the phone or recommend they come out to evaluate your signal strength where you live. If you have neighbors close by who have an antennae maybe ask them about their experiences. Alternately you could use someone else's portable HD TV antennae or buy one to get an idea before you spend the money on a larger setup. antennae.

Not trying to talk you out of it, but antennae like lightening. The higher they are the more prone they are to being lightening rods. When I moved into my present home it had a large mast out back against the house. I had to take it down to add an addition and  never replaced it. 

If You're going to keep an internet connection at your home that's probably the best option IMHO. There are plenty of ways to watch on your computer.

Edited by Starise

Guest AFlameOfFire
8 hours ago, Whyme said:

As far as I know it's cable,  satellite, streaming or antenna. I have a small antenna only 15 to 20 feet off the ground. The problem i have is days when reception is poor. Maybe a higher antenna might work? I've heard of combining two antennas to get a wider range of channels.. I would like to try that and a signal booster. https://www.solidsignal.com

Thank you Whyme and for the link as well. I hear you on the reception part of it, and I am old enough to remember those fuzzy pictures days, never thought I would opt oiyt of clearer pictures for those days lol

I will have to have someone out to look at it to be certain, I would run that suggestion you just shared with me with them to see what they think.

God bless you! Thanks for your response, much appreciated

Guest AFlameOfFire
4 hours ago, Ray12614 said:

I have an multi directional HD antenna I bought for 65 dollars, and it works fine for me, pulling in stations in all directions up to 100 miles away. 200 miles, I suppose you would go with an directional antenna with an rotor built in. I had one before I bought my current multi directional antenna from Amazon for about30 dollars. I just could not tell what direction it was pointed unless I went out and looked at it but it worked fine.

I had one of those in my cart but I was unsure about it, I recall watching a youtube video on some guy filling his attice also with some kind of antenna, looked crazy overthetop complicated but he got amazing reception and a million channels but I could never do something like that myself, I wouldnt know the first thing about it and I am not in the kind of shape to be crawling around in my attic. 

I do know you are talking about outdoor ones, some of the miles advertised will not get us to the station we prefer (fuzzy or not) so I was hoping there was a way to double the antennas up, or at least know there is a way to go above and beyond what is advertised and get a few hundred mile reach.

Thank you for your response as well, and God bless you.

Guest AFlameOfFire
4 hours ago, Starise said:

I guess much depends on if you like the channels you can get on antennae. It might be somewhat of a shock to discover the differences between cable/dish and what you can see on an antennae. 

Many moons ago one of my first jobs was an electronics repair technician, as a side line the TV business I worked for put up antennas and satellite dishes. We had a device that measured signal strength of the stations at any location, so we had a good indication of how many channels you could get and how well they would come in. Back then things had not migrated to HD TV which is now a requirement in the US. Back then, you could get a station weak or a little grainy in the picture and still watch it. With HD TV you either have it or you don't. If it comes in it looks nice. If it doesn't you're out of luck. Naturally the less rural you are in proximity to large cities the more channels you'll probably bring in.

Two things you could do is maybe call and ask a local TV antenna installer what stations do well in your area, then check their programming. They might tell you on the phone or recommend they come out to evaluate your signal strength where you live. If you have neighbors close by who have an antennae maybe ask them about their experiences. Alternately you could use someone else's portable HD TV antennae or buy one to get an idea before you spend the money on a larger setup. antennae.

Not trying to talk you out of it, but antennae like lightening. The higher they are the more prone they are to being lightening rods. When I moved into my present home it had a large mast out back against the house. I had to take it down to add an addition and  never replaced it. 

If You're going to keep an internet connection at your home that's probably the best option IMHO. There are plenty of ways to watch on your computer.

I told you earlier I could probably keep you in business hiring you to install things for me lol Thank you for your response, I'll tell you as soon as you said lightning that was a case closed for me, lightning magnets are just not for me lol. I wonder if I can locate it away from the house?

Now you have me wondering if I cant have someone build us an inside the attic kind of antenna... I would hope that would not be a lightning magnet if it is indoors, I would'nt think it would be.

I think maybe dumping the whole channel thing and just staying with the computer might be best, why pay for what you will not watch using an antenna? And if you dont watch much tv at all, if you wanted to the few times you might just use the computer.

Thanks again starise, God bless you too!

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,245
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

On 4/20/2021 at 2:15 AM, AFlameOfFire said:

Do you (or anyone here) know if the larger ones even sold any more, or even who to call to have one installed?

The new digital stations are using much higher frequencies to broadcast so the antennas tuned for these are a lot  shorter.    They start about the size of the smaller parts of the old antenna.   So don't necessarily look for size.

There are several different types.  We live about 35 to 40 miles from the majority of the stations around Oklahoma City so just about anything works for us.    Check the distance rating on the antenna for the best reception.  And whether or not it's directional. high prices doesn't always mean better.

It also matters if you are in a low spot as to how high the antenna should be.   If you put it on a pole make sure you take lightening into consideration when you hook it up.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  180
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

On 4/20/2021 at 11:10 AM, AFlameOfFire said:

I had one of those in my cart but I was unsure about it, I recall watching a youtube video on some guy filling his attice also with some kind of antenna, looked crazy overthetop complicated but he got amazing reception and a million channels but I could never do something like that myself, I wouldnt know the first thing about it and I am not in the kind of shape to be crawling around in my attic. 

I do know you are talking about outdoor ones, some of the miles advertised will not get us to the station we prefer (fuzzy or not) so I was hoping there was a way to double the antennas up, or at least know there is a way to go above and beyond what is advertised and get a few hundred mile reach.

Thank you for your response as well, and God bless you.

Go online to tvfool.com. you can find which OTA stations will be available to your location.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,117
  • Content Per Day:  9.69
  • Days Won:  149

For anyone who uses those small disposable propane cylinders commonly seen on small gas grills and portable heaters here in the US, those tanks can be refilled from a larger standard propane grill tank.

To refill the tanks there's a  hose valve assy. you can buy for 18.00 and there are videos on YouTube showing you how to do it. It's called a GASPRO Propane Refill Adapter Hose for 1LB Gas Tanks, High-Pressure Propane Refill Hose for Filling, 36" Propane Extension Hose with 1LB Tank Bottle Adapter Connection with ON/Off Control Valve on Amazon.

You save some money in refilling the tanks instead of buying new ones.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AFlameOfFire
On 4/21/2021 at 9:19 AM, other one said:

The new digital stations are using much higher frequencies to broadcast so the antennas tuned for these are a lot  shorter.    They start about the size of the smaller parts of the old antenna.   So don't necessarily look for size.

There are several different types.  We live about 35 to 40 miles from the majority of the stations around Oklahoma City so just about anything works for us.    Check the distance rating on the antenna for the best reception.  And whether or not it's directional. high prices doesn't always mean better.

It also matters if you are in a low spot as to how high the antenna should be.   If you put it on a pole make sure you take lightening into consideration when you hook it up.

Thank you so much! Much appreciated, that helps alot

Guest AFlameOfFire
On 4/30/2021 at 6:38 PM, john14:6 said:

Go online to tvfool.com. you can find which OTA stations will be available to your location.

Will do, thank you as well.

• 3 months later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  183
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0

What has saved me money? I love to shop in a multitude of discount stores where I have paid pennies on the dollar for groceries, makeup, pet food, hardware, appliances and home items. I've found very nice clothing at thrift stores.

LED bulbs use less electricity.  My front load washer uses less water. I switched auto insurance from American Family to State Farm.

I too have bought glasses from Zenni, but be careful on colored metal frames when you clean them because the color can chip off. 

I have a shower head that has a water-saving option I use when shampooing,  conditioning,  and combing my hair.

I have never paid anyone to paint my fingernails or toenails. I haven't paid anyone to cut or color my hair in about 3 decades. I color it myself (Sally's) and trim it myself-the bangs in front and the waist length part also in back.