SwordMaster

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  286
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

What do you think "walking in the Spirit" means? There are 310 passages in the NT alone that have the word "spirit", and out of those less than 30 seemingly address directly or indirectly the subject matter. Out of those, only 3 actually have the phrase "walking in the Spirit" or kin to it (walk by the spirit, live in the spirit, etc.). 

I am just starting a study on the subject and the more brains involved always help...what do you think "walking in the Spirit" means, with Scripture references please.

Another note: up until last night, I thought that Rom. 8:5 taught that walking in the Spirit was imply minding (thinking about, walking in obedience to) the things of the Spirit...but last night it hit me that Paul wasn't saying (or so it seems) that this is walking in the Spirit, but rather than minding the things of the Spirit is the RESULT of walking in the Spirit.

Any input is welcome and helpful.

Blessings!

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  4

To me it means  following the lead of the Holy Spirit. 

Romans 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. 

At every cross road we have a choice to do something, but which is the right thing?  Seeking guidance from the Holy Spirit , through prayer, through The Word of God, through what you know is the obedience of Christ, insures that we follow the path

2nd Cor 10:5 casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ.

That is just my first take, you have give me something to ponder on, and I am going to ponder it a while.

• Thumbs Up 4

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Content Count:  771
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/07/1947

Seeing that the major events of people being converted to Christ involved the Holy Spirit falling on them so that they spoke in tongues and prophesied as the Spirit gave them utterance, the question arises that if a person has not been baptised with the Spirit, can he or she actually walk in the Spirit?

There are many who either ignore or reject the infilling of the Holy Spirit and the manifestation of the supernatural gifts.  The fact, according to Scripture, written by the Holy Spirit Himself, is that the infilling of the Spirit and the reception of His supernatural gifts are integrated- that rejection of the gifts is tantamount to rejection of the Holy Spirit Himself.

This is not according to the Pentecostal or Charismatic religious labels as some try to use the excesses of those movements to justify their rejection of the supernatural aspects of the Holy Spirit, but the infilling of the Holy Spirit and the use of His gifts is Bible - inspired by the Holy Spirit.  Rejecting 1 Corinthians 12 and 14 as applicable today is the same as rejecting the Holy Spirit Himself.  This has wider consequences, because rejecting the Holy Spirit, is rejection of Christ, and the Father, because all three are equal and in total unity.   Jesus sent the Holy Spirit and His supernatural gifts to represent Him in the world until He comes again.

Therefore, for these reasons, those who reject the supernatural gifts of the Spirit, thereby rejecting the Holy Spirit's involvement in personal and church life, cannot really walk in the Spirit.   How can they walk in the Spirit when they are rejecting Him at the same time?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  516
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,205
  • Content Per Day:  1.42

4 hours ago, SwordMaster said:

What do you think "walking in the Spirit" means?

Hi, you said any input is welcome and helpful so here are my thoughts, I hope they help towards Christ, scripture says;

Galatians 3:3 (NASB)
Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh? 

Scripture  says ‘having begun by the Spirit’, so all one would have to do is find out what the Galatians did at first. Than a continuation of that would be walking by the Spirit, and a continuation of that would be living by the Spirit..

So what was it the Galatians did at first? 

The answer is self-evident in you, be blessed as God reveals the answer, for until He does one will not believe.. (with the deepness that is required) 

A fellow follower of His, Not me 

Edited by Not me
added ‘with the deepness that is required’

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  9,608
  • Content Per Day:  3.90
  • Days Won:  21

2 hours ago, Paul James said:

Therefore, for these reasons, those who reject the supernatural gifts of the Spirit, thereby rejecting the Holy Spirit's involvement in personal and church life, cannot really walk in the Spirit.   How can they walk in the Spirit when they are rejecting Him at the same time?

Yes, a good question with reams and reams of silly doctrines to support this silly idea that most likely began with Augustine etc.

The apostle asked them if they had received the Spirit. They said they had not even heard of such a thing. Then the apostle JUST DID IT and they were filled.

He did not ask their permission, or have them do a six month scripture class. No. He just ACTED.

There are many people that thru the ages were taught that the 'canon ended and so did the gifts'. I do not want to be in their shoes when the Lord interviews them on their way to the New Jerusalem.

If you read Josephus' account of the sacking of Jerusalem AD70, you will note that they ran out of space to put the thousands of crosses that the inhabitants were impaled on in very weird position as Roman sport. The end of Jerusalem was horrific and played down by modern historical accounts. In fact, much of Israeli history is ignored and brushed under the rug because they were the 'Christ Killers' and it was open season on the Jews and even the Gentiles that became believers.

Go figure. God is NOT mocked. Ignore the Holy Spirit at your peril.

Edited by Justin Adams
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  0

9 hours ago, SwordMaster said:

What do you think "walking in the Spirit" means? There are 310 passages in the NT alone that have the word "spirit", and out of those less than 30 seemingly address directly or indirectly the subject matter. Out of those, only 3 actually have the phrase "walking in the Spirit" or kin to it (walk by the spirit, live in the spirit, etc.). 

I am just starting a study on the subject and the more brains involved always help...what do you think "walking in the Spirit" means, with Scripture references please.

Another note: up until last night, I thought that Rom. 8:5 taught that walking in the Spirit was imply minding (thinking about, walking in obedience to) the things of the Spirit...but last night it hit me that Paul wasn't saying (or so it seems) that this is walking in the Spirit, but rather than minding the things of the Spirit is the RESULT of walking in the Spirit.

Any input is welcome and helpful.

Blessings!

Yes, "those with their minds on the things of the Spirit" are thinking about God's Word and spiritual revelations. Even experienced evangelicals, however, can get a little cessationist and forget God brings us fresh light and peace when we pursue the Spirit. 

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,302
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

12 hours ago, SwordMaster said:

What do you think "walking in the Spirit" means?

It has always seemed fairly simple to me.
When I yield to the world the flesh and the devil, I'm 'walking in the flesh'---Darkness/death (separation)
When I yield to the word (light-truth) I hid in my heart, I'm 'walking in the Spirit'.--Light/life  (in Christ )
I'm filled with the spirit, when I yield to the spirit........
Even when, or especially when,  in those unemotional dreary well doing valleys of life.
It's not just an emotional outburst, for me, more like giving God control.
But exciting, too........in the simple things.
A little, often, equals a lot.

"For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.

For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God" 
Romans 8, 5-8

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Content Count:  771
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Birthday:  10/07/1947

9 hours ago, Justin Adams said:

Yes, a good question with reams and reams of silly doctrines to support this silly idea that most likely began with Augustine etc.

The apostle asked them if they had received the Spirit. They said they had not even heard of such a thing. Then the apostle JUST DID IT and they were filled.

He did not ask their permission, or have them do a six month scripture class. No. He just ACTED.

There are many people that thru the ages were taught that the 'canon ended and so did the gifts'. I do not want to be in their shoes when the Lord interviews them on their way to the New Jerusalem.

If you read Josephus' account of the sacking of Jerusalem AD70, you will note that they ran out of space to put the thousands of crosses that the inhabitants were impaled on in very weird position as Roman sport. The end of Jerusalem was horrific and played down by modern historical accounts. In fact, much of Israeli history is ignored and brushed under the rug because they were the 'Christ Killers' and it was open season on the Jews and even the Gentiles that became believers.

Go figure. God is NOT mocked. Ignore the Holy Spirit at your peril.

Ananias and Sapphira told a little white lie about how much they sold their land for and they paid with their lives, because their lie was to the Holy Spirit.  That was when the Holy Spirit was running the church.   Just think about how much deception is in our churches and nobody dies.  Makes one think about who is running our churches these days.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1