Why don't I feel God anymore?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I don't feel God anymore. I've prayed and even begged that I could feel him again, but I don't.  I don't understand, I havent committed any sins of late that would cause a separation and I've repented of everything I could think of.

Has anybody gone through this?  What helped? 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praying! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1

44 minutes ago, ArmsOpenWide said:

I don't feel God anymore. I've prayed and even begged that I could feel him again, but I don't.  I don't understand, I havent committed any sins of late that would cause a separation and I've repented of everything I could think of.

Everyone goes through these times. God loves you and He has your hand. We grow in faith a number of ways in diverse trials but the main way is by trusting in the Word. Faith comes by hearing and hearing the word of God. 

At first I seemed to read with amazed wonder and a certain level of understanding the bible and when I started having difficulty, for lack of a better way to describe it, hearing from the Lord when I read I went through he same thing as your describing. I didn't feel God was in my reading. The more mature believers around me just smiled and encouraged me to keep reading. God is with us and will never forsake us. He's just putting you on our feet to learn to walk. He has your hand.

Edited by Zemke
  • Loved it! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,332
  • Content Per Day:  7.11
  • Days Won:  99

39 minutes ago, ArmsOpenWide said:

Through many tribulations we enter the kingdom of God, my friend. It's worth sharing that the Lord isn't a God of our feelings; feelings are ephemeral and arrive (and also depart) like the breeze on a summer day. The Lord, on the other hand, is eternal and unchanging. We are not.  

Don't despair of the dry places, @ArmsOpenWide. These are for the increasing of that faith which the Lord bestowed upon you when our Father drew you to His Son. There are times when we must be still and know that He is God. This is one of those times. Remember the scripture:

There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every matter under heaven—
A time to give birth and a time to die;
A time to plant and a time to uproot what is planted.
A time to kill and a time to heal;
A time to tear down and a time to build up.
A time to weep and a time to laugh;
A time to mourn and a time to dance.
A time to throw stones and a time to gather stones;
A time to embrace and a time to shun embracing.
A time to search and a time to give up as lost;
A time to keep and a time to throw away.

A time to tear apart and a time to sew together;

A time to be silent and a time to speak. 
A time to love and a time to hate;

A time for war and a time for peace.

(Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 NASB)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.29
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

1 hour ago, ArmsOpenWide said:

It seems to me sometimes when things aren't going right, it can be a serious issue, and sometimes it can be a minor issue. One has to keep listening for God to find out. I might suggest you consider whether or not there is a sin in your life that you are overlooking.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,306
  • Content Per Day:  1.71

1 hour ago, ArmsOpenWide said:

May I suggest that you start reading c s Lewis. He wrote about the cyclic nature of faith, that we have times of highs and times of lows.

Then there is the poem 'Footsteps in the sand.' which says that when we walk with God it as if we can see two sets of prints in the sand, but the writer complains that when he had times of trouble there was only one set of foot prints.

The answer came that at those times God was carrying the writer.

What's the point of this?

Simple, feelings Do Not prove anything about our faith or relationship with God.

Jesus promise that he would never leave us, never let go of us and that we would be with him in heaven.

Those promises depend on Jesus, not on our feelings.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,903
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

The simple answer is to stay in God's word. All that we know of Him and His will and promises and being is there. It is how he speaks to us. Take heart during this time. Thank Him for His promises that mean that you know He's still there and with you even when you don't feel that He is, and ask Him to return that feeling to you as soon as He is willing.

Saying a prayer for you!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,029
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,375
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

12 hours ago, ArmsOpenWide said:

Just keep trusting the Lord.   Faith isn't in our feelings or emotions, but in the Lord and His promises to us.   He promised He wouldn't forsake us.

• Loved it! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,420
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

12 hours ago, ArmsOpenWide said:

I'm going through a phase of this right now. It's definitely a time for self examination. It's good to remember that feelings don't dictate our standing with God. He made promises to us that He's faithful to keep, and as it says in Jeremiah 17:9 our hearts are deceitful. I also like II Corinthians 10:5. To my way of thinking when our hearts or thoughts tell us God doesn't want us anymore it's exalting itself against the knowledge of God. Do your best, hold on to God's promises, and look forward to the time when you can look back on periods like this and understand how it helped you develop.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.94
  • Days Won:  21

14 hours ago, ArmsOpenWide said:

Well. Yes. I suggest your read Job.

Job is NOT about Job but about The Lord High God. His ways are past finding out, yet He does not change and cares for us.

It is what it is some days.

Try not to let your feelings dictate your thoughts about Who God Is. Do not go on a repentance guilt trip. Center your worship on the Creator and not the created... and do not listen to the Job's Comforters as they invariably have you doing penance and jumping thru hoops that the Lord does not require of you. Remember that He Loved you and Died for you while you were a sinner and did not care about Him. There is little you can add to that short of Loyal Belief regardless of what happens to you.

• Well Said! 2
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,418
  • Content Per Day:  8.00
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

On 1/30/2021 at 2:54 PM, ArmsOpenWide said:

Many many people do not understand that God is not keeping the world we are in our own bodies of flesh.... when we try to connect to God with that which is passing away this occurs and it's because 
John 3:6

6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
KJV

John 6:63

63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
KJV
The confidence of God is through His written Word... upon which the steadfast assurance, because God cannot lie, and our feelings have nothing to do with this 

John 14:16-17

16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
KJV
So now you have this quandary: shall I continue to look to myself though feelings or rest upon His Word that says He 'IS' always with us?

• Thumbs Up 1