Tattoos?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  90
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

What does the Bible says about tattoos? I was raised Baptist so I was taught they are bad but the only verse I've heard was unclear. I know "present your bodies a living sacrifice..." But is there any other verses for clarification? Thanks in advance!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, IowaChristiangal said:

What does the Bible says about tattoos? I was raised Baptist so I was taught they are bad but the only verse I've heard was unclear. I know "present your bodies a living sacrifice..." But is there any other verses for clarification? Thanks in advance!

Hi.  Its an old testament law, Leviticus 19:28 states: "Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD." Although the ancient pagan custom of etching or tattooing symbols on human flesh was forbidden by God,  Tattooing for Jesus,  by David Cloud,  reveals that this heathen custom is now being introduced to the churches.

Personally, I certainly would not have any tattoo on my body.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,367
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

Unlike the Mosaic Law (i.e. the covenant between God and the nation of Israel), Christians relate to God through a covenant of grace. That means we are not subject to any list of written rules. That includes rules about tattoos. Since tattooing is a ritual act (not a moral act), a Christian can be lead by the Holy Spirit on such matters.

Titus 1:15 - To the pure all things are pure

1 Corinthians 10:23 - All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful; all things are lawful for me, but not all things edify

Obviously, a tattoo that explicitly dishonours God is unacceptable.

I appreciate the artwork in some tattoos. But I honestly prefer skin the way God made it. But there is no such Law either for or against tattoos in the Christian covenant.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,873
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

I think that, generally, they fall under Old Testament Jewish law that Christians are not bound to any longer. But like with anything, it's certainly possible, and even easy, to do it in a way or for a reason that could make it sin.

Here is a two part podcast (15 minutes total) with some food for thought on the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVlj8JdTVSU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-hM_1vI_Os

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,079
  • Content Per Day:  9.76
  • Days Won:  149

This seems to be a "thing" now and has been for at least the last 5 years. Not that tats are anything new.  US WW2 soldiers were getting them. My dad had them on his arms from his Navy days.

Even though the above verses in Leviticus were OT and have been superseded by a new covenant, I personally look at the Leviticus scriptures as  something God did not like. In this case I don't think He wanted the Jewish people to put any symbolism on their bodies that was ties to pagan demonic beliefs of other cultures such as we see in many countries who practice these religions even today.

Much like Tristen above I view this as one of those matters we should be led by the Holy Spirit in. 

For me practically, I simply don't like the idea of a mark I can never remove or that would be difficult to remove. It isn't like changing the wall paper in a room. You get a tattoo you live with it pretty much for life. I have seen some very badly done ones too and man I wouldn't want that on me for life, but that's me.

In some cultures and religions tattoos have a ritualistic/pagan religious significance. I think many today who get them might not always recognizes exactly what they are putting on themselves. Others who are seriously into these religions including the occult know exactly what they are doing.

Then we have those people who are over the edge, like the guy who decided he wanted to mod himself into a large cat. He had his teeth filed sharp, plastic surgery etc. Or the person who holds the  world record for tattoos. He probably had his toenails tattooed.

Jesus loves all tattooed people too. Doing dumb stuff in the past in no way disqualifies us from coming to the Lord.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

Question: "What does the Bible say about tattoos?"

Answer: 
Tattoos are more popular than ever in many parts of the world. The number of people with tattoos has increased dramatically in recent years. Tattoos are not just for delinquents or rebels anymore. The edginess of rebellion historically associated with tattoos is starting to wear off.
The New Testament does not say anything about whether or not a believer in Jesus Christ should get a tattoo. Therefore, we cannot say that getting a tattoo is a sin. Because of Scripture’s silence, getting inked falls under the category of a “gray area,” and believers should follow their convictions in the matter, respecting those who may have different convictions.

Here are some general biblical principles that may apply to getting a tattoo:

◦ Children are to honor and obey their parents (Ephesians 6:1–2). For a minor to get a tattoo in violation of his or her parents’ wishes is biblically unsupportable. Tattoos born of rebellion are sinful.

◦ “Outward adornment” is not as important as the development of the “inner self” and should not be the focus of a Christian (1 Peter 3:3–4). A person who desires a tattoo to garner attention or draw admiration has a vain, sinful focus on self.

◦ God sees the heart, and our motivation for anything we do should be to glorify God (1 Corinthians 10:31). Motivations for getting a tattoo such as “to fit in,” “to stand out,” etc., fall short of the glory of God. The tattoo itself may not be a sin, but the motivation in getting it might be.

◦ Our bodies, as well as our souls, have been redeemed and belong to God. The believer’s body is the temple of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 6:19–20). How much modification of that temple is appropriate? Is there a line that should not be crossed? Is there a point at which the proliferation of tattoos on one body ceases to be art and starts becoming sinful mutilation? This should be a matter of individual reflection and honest prayer.

◦ We are Christ’s ambassadors, delivering God’s message to the world (2 Corinthians 5:20). What message does the tattoo send, and will it aid or detract from representing Christ and sharing the gospel?

◦ Whatever does not come from faith is sin (Romans 14:23), so the person getting the tattoo should be fully convinced that it is God’s will for him or her.

We cannot leave the discussion of tattoos without looking at the Old Testament law that prohibited tattoos: “Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD” (Leviticus 19:28). The reason for the prohibition of tattoos in this passage is not stated, but it is likely that tattooing was a pagan practice connected with idolatry and superstition. It was probably common for the pagans to mark their skin with the name of a false god or with a symbol honoring some idol. God demanded that His children be different. As He reminded them in the same verse, “I am the LORD.” The Israelites belonged to Him; they were His workmanship, and they should not bear the name of a false god on their bodies. While New Testament believers are not under the Mosaic Law, we can take from this command the principle that, if a Christian chooses to get a tattoo, it should never be for superstitious reasons or to promote worldly philosophy. The bottom line is that getting a tattoo is not a sin, per se. It is a matter of Christian freedom and should be guided by biblical principles and rooted in love.

https://www.gotquestions.org/tattoos-sin.html

Edited by missmuffet
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.31
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

22 hours ago, IowaChristiangal said:

You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh on account of the dead or tattoo any marks upon you: I am the LORD. Leviticus 19:28 RSV

• 4 months later...

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.44
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

On 2/9/2021 at 8:34 PM, IowaChristiangal said:

What does the Bible says about tattoos?

"Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD." (Lev 19:28).

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  717
  • Content Per Day:  0.35

2 minutes ago, Chicken coop2 said:

Three times is a charm.

We're also supposed to sacrifice grains, doves and goats... It's a quandary for sure. Does the NT mention anything about this?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  717
  • Content Per Day:  0.35

I don't disagree, but am just pointing out other Leviticus mandates as well.