IGNORED

Is it OK to pray for a better quality of life?

Big Time

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  149
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/26/1972

This is one of those things I pray for that I feel kind of guilty about.  I don't want to seem like an ingrate because I already have many blessings.

I'm hoping to have a nice house to bring a wife home to, and the income to support a family. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Those are nice goals, something I'm sure everyone desires.  If your desire was for a bigger TV, expensive car, extravagant vacation, or a better standard in society so you can mingle with the rich, then I'd suggest first to be content where you are, but your goal is just to have a nice family life, one without too many needs.  Just remember the difference between a need and a want.

• Loved it! 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.78
  • Days Won:  226

2 hours ago, Big Time said:

This is one of those things I pray for that I feel kind of guilty about.  I don't want to seem like an ingrate because I already have many blessings.

I'm hoping to have a nice house to bring a wife home to, and the income to support a family. 

God has a plan for your life. We can not use God as a genie who will give us everything we desire. If we have a roof over our head and food to eat we are blessed. 

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.30
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

5 hours ago, Big Time said:

Those don't seem like unreasonable requests to me.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,264
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

6 hours ago, Big Time said:

Many years back, I also had similar thoughts. That changed the more I read the truth, God's word.
Then I read; " The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much"

And there's many more God would have us know.  But beware the codicil.  Your motivation, your walk.
It has to be in faith, believing. This is what (I) learned, and believe. God wants to bless you.
***The best blessings are not often monetary***

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your request to God.”

This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.”

“’Have faith in God,’ Jesus answered. ‘I tell you the truth. If anyone says to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea, and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.”

“In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God’s will.”

“So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? Of if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

If you pray for God's will in your life it will be the best it can be. Ever

God know what you need, God knows what you want, and God knows what is best for you, trust in God.

@Sower reminded me of some some lyrics from the 80's

You don't need money, don't take fame
Don't need no credit card to ride this train
It's strong and it's sudden and it's hard* sometimes
But it might just save your life
That's the power of love

*changed one word to fit better ;)

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  242
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,562
  • Content Per Day:  0.77

I pray this as well. Just to move into a decent place with my son.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  149
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  03/26/1972

Thank you everyone!  

It helps to read you clarity of thought when I get all worked up.  :)

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,869
  • Content Per Day:  1.22
  • Birthday:  04/01/1968

A verse that may be helpful

James 4

15Instead, you ought to say, “If the Lord is willing, we will live and do this or that.”

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

its ok to pray for it...its also ok to work for it...as long as you dont let it come between you and God. Set goals, and find a way to get there. If your current job isnt paying enough, either find a higher paying job in your profession or perhaps expand your job skills so as to change or expand your profession. Having things like a house doesnt come easy...you need to work for it. You dont have to have a college education to get a high paying job-Trade schools are often cheaper and blue collar work often pays just as good if not better-then many jobs that require a diploma.

Set goals, and devise a plan on how to accomplish them. That part is important. If all you have are goals with no clear plan to accomplish them, then chances are you never will. Be intentional about it.