IGNORED

A question to those who would promote the idea that some of the bible is figurative and NOT literal

Riverwalker

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  62
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

10 hours ago, missmuffet said:

There is a lot of false teaching on Worthy.

Nice drive by 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.95
  • Days Won:  10

1 hour ago, LearningToLetGo said:

Review Leviticus 4, sin offerings. Notice the significance of both the flesh and the blood, then return to the Passover and crucifixion.

I don't understand. Whats your point?  Thanks.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  62
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

9 hours ago, Josheb said:

I asked what I asked because the whole statement found in the op, "Everything in the bible is meant to be literal, even the parables and and "figurative" language that is used to convey a complex Idea is still literal as the Concept is meant to be literal," is self-contradictory and thereby self-refuting.

Actually it's not and is very straight forward.  And interesting  to me is your comment just a page or two later......

JOSHEB

It has often occurred to me that several sections of scripture cover a common event or period of history and puzzled me that many don't understand a history, a psalm, a prophesy, a gospel, and an epistle can and do speak about the exact same event or concern -  in differing ways! 

And they do not all do so literally. Sometimes none of them do. They speak of literal events in non-literal ways. 

Hmmm?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  717
  • Content Per Day:  0.35

10 minutes ago, Whyme said:

I don't understand. Whats your point?  Thanks.

Leviticus teaches Israel to sacrifice unblemished animals, bulls, goats, sheep, etc. as restitution for their sin against God. The blood is alternately splashed against the side of the alter or painted on the horns or poured at its base. The flesh is burned for smoke to please the Lord. Both flesh and blood are gifts to the Lord.

Fast forward to Passover: Jesus gives humanity, via his disciples initially, the gift of His flesh and blood. Then comes the crucifixion when Jesus - the perfect man, the unblemished sin offering - is sacrificed by God for humanity. It is the inverse of all sacrifices.

This completes the circle, so to speak.

• This is Worthy 1

39 minutes ago, LearningToLetGo said:

Leviticus teaches Israel to sacrifice unblemished animals, bulls, goats, sheep, etc. as restitution for their sin against God. The blood is alternately splashed against the side of the alter or painted on the horns or poured at its base. The flesh is burned for smoke to please the Lord. Both flesh and blood are gifts to the Lord.

Fast forward to Passover: Jesus gives humanity, via his disciples initially, the gift of His flesh and blood. Then comes the crucifixion when Jesus - the perfect man, the unblemished sin offering - is sacrificed by God for humanity. It is the inverse of all sacrifices.

This completes the circle, so to speak.

What is the literal flesh and blood? We know its not the bread and wine because thats just bread and wine.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  717
  • Content Per Day:  0.35

4 minutes ago, Whyme said:

What is the literal flesh and blood? We know its not the bread and wine because thats just bread and wine.

You refer to transubstantiation? That's a debatable topic. Not everyone agrees on whether the bread and wine are literally flesh and blood. The important element - in my opinion - is not whether bread and wine are literally flesh and blood but rather the fact that God Himself, in the flesh as Jesus, lowered himself for that one brief moment below humanity and gave His sacrifice upward to us. That's huge. It's not to be underestimated.

John 13:5-8 (ESV)

5 Then he poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples' feet and to wipe them with the towel that was wrapped around him. 6 He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, “Lord, do you wash my feet?” 7 Jesus answered him, “What I am doing you do not understand now, but afterward you will understand.” 8 Peter said to him, “You shall never wash my feet.” Jesus answered him, “If I do not wash you, you have no share with me.”

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  108
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

And then Peter wanted a WHOLE SHOWER!

There are many aspects to LITERAL and FIGURATIVE.

I do not think that Joshua literally commanded the sun to stand still and it did - cuz I believe in a heliocentric solar system - but something literally happenned that caused more sunshine so Israelites could continue to slaughter whatever "-ITES" they were whupping up on that day. Even more incredible was the sun GOING BACKWARDS one time - more literal miraculous stuff, albeit sun and earth are reversed...

Methodists believe in a REAL PRESENCE, just don't use Transubstantiation to explain it  - but "My flesh is real food and my blood is real drink" makes it a bit more than SYMBOLIC, I think.

Perhaps this could be explored more fully in a thread

"FIGURATIVE AND LITERAL ACCORDING TO BUDDY THE MOUSE"

Watch for it.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.94
  • Days Won:  21

11 hours ago, Josheb said:

Ooooooo (josh's mouth starts watering) can you link me or mention the source?

Hebrew scholar on Genesis.docx

Jesus said to work for food that doesn't perish. My question, does communion bread and wine perish? What does Jesus mean?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  108
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

Water you can drink and never be thirsty again - that's figurative.

"A certain man from Jerusalem went down to Jericho, fell among some thieves who beat him" - it SOUNDS literal - but its figurative, its a parable - the certain man is not a REAL man that travelled, but a hypothetical man in Jesus' story.

The parable in Luke 16 about Beggar Lazarus and the rich man and Abraham - I have seen posters on boards that INSIST this is a true story - the rich man even has a name - Divas - a character in Jesus' parable has been given a name by someone else. We have LITERAL TRUTH about Hades divided between Torments and Abraham's Bosom - it's not like that anymore, but it used to be.

Did Samson pick up a donkey's jawbone and kill a THOUSAND Philistines with it before he put the jawbone down? a THOUSAND? Now come on - hyperbolic - like they sang Saul has slain his thousands and David has slain his TEN THOUSANDS - figurative, hyperbolic. The Bible is figurative often - God did not literally BARE HIS HOLY ARM IN THE SIGHT OF THE HEATHEN, or blast anything with THE BREATH OF HIS NOSTRILS, in fact - God does not literally have a RIGHT HAND - it is FIGURATIVE that Jesus is seated next to the right hand of God - "for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it" is figurative, for God does not literally have a mouth - God is Spirit.

Jesus is not literally a Sheepgate, He is not really a Door...

a sharp two-edged sword is not really sticking out of his mouth

where did this demonizing of the FIGURATIVE come from?