LadyKay

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

So my church did this last Sunday and I am not sure what to make of it. The sermon was on the 5 talents in  in Matthew 25:14. So our pastor said that he has $2,000 dived up into 50s,20s, and 10s in envelopes.  He said he will be passing these around. We were to pick one envelope. They were unmarked and you did not know what envelope had what amount.  He said we are then suppose to come up with ways to double the money and give it back to a Christian based charity.  He then gave out ideas such as using your money to print up t-shirts and sell them for the charity. Or holding a bake sell using your money to by stuff to make cakes for the bake sell. Then give the money to charity.  He also said if you yourself are going through a bad time right now and you could use this money. Then keep it and use it for what you need it for. 

So the envelope I got had $10.00 in it. And I am like how in the world do I double $10.00? So I am left thinking about this. But what do you all think about this? 

Edited by LadyKay

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

A really bad example illustrating a parable was my first thought. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,943
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

25 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

So my church did this last Sunday and I am not sure what to make of it. The sermon was on the 5 talents in  in Matthew 25:14. So our pastor said that he has $2,000 dived up into 50s,20s, and 10s in envelopes.  He said he will be passing these around. We were to pick one envelope. They were unmarked and you did not know what envelope had what amount.  He said we are then suppose to come up with ways to double the money and give it back to a Christian based charity.  He then gave out ideas such as using your money to print up t-shirts and sell them for the charity. Or holding a bake sell using your money to by stuff to make cakes for the bake sell. Then give the money to charity.  He also said if you yourself are going through a bad time right now and you could use this money. Then keep it and use it for what you need it for. 

So the envelope I got had $10.00 in it. And I am like how in the world do I double $10.00? So I am left thinking about this. But what do you all think about this? 

I would buy plants and cultivate them to produce flowers, fruit, and vegetables which we would sell. My wife makes a very popular relish from homegrown produce and our pantry is always well stocked with this, plus she stews our apples and plums and bakes very tasty sponges and pies that could be sold. There may currently be some in the freezer. I could buy $10 worth of petrol for vehicles and machines and charge out at a profit to mow lawns, trim hedges etc. 

The parable is about being good stewards of God's resources to glorify Him rather than making excuses to justify not making good use of what we are given by Him.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  771
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,937
  • Content Per Day:  3.07
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, LadyKay said:

If ur pastor can make business with ten dollars i will follow what he did.

But this story is abt using our resources n talent to glorify God in our life that people may see the light, not abt making a profit out of ten dollars.

Matt 5:16 Let your light shine that people may see your good deeds and will glorify God in heaven.

Money is not the only source to do good, be volunteers in social works such as being a member of social institution or charity club unpaid, doing social works for environment. teaching education for free, giving courses free etc.

Edited by R. Hartono

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

When I worked at wal-mart we had an employee that would buy lots of star wars figurines and hotwheels cars and sell them on ebay for a markup because they only sold certain items in certain parts of the country. You could try something similar. Especially hot wheels cars. Do a little research, maybe experiment a little bit-buy 1 or 2 hot wheels cars (usually only a buck or two) double the price and list them on Ebay and see if they sell-if they do, then use the rest of the 10 dollars to buy more and sell them. Then use the profits to go feed a homeless person or help a family in need or buy someone a Bible or something.

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,251
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

Just now, LadyKay said:

"So I am left thinking about this. But what do you all think about this?"

I think there is a lesson your pastor is trying to teach.
Not so much about how to make money.
It is God who blesses us with all resources.
Health home family, job income education savings car internet etc etc.
 Some do not have any of these things.
God has given these things to use, for His purpose. He owns it all.
We are only stewards.

We use it or lose it.
Use it well and receive a 'well done'
We should be good stewards of all God's blessings.
A gift sown reaps.
A gift unused/buried is an abuse.
He is going to hold each of us accountable for all of it.(His return)
Seem to me ten bucks shouldn't cause such a burden.
What does God think when He gives us gifts,
we do not use, or abuse them. 
I thing the lesson, learned or not,  is what at stake.

I think your pastor, teaching hands on, is neat.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  304
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  0

On 3/23/2021 at 11:11 PM, LadyKay said:

I'd give it away to a poor person or a person in need and share the Gospel. And if willing double the amount from your own pocket. If the pastor asked you what you did with it, you can tell him you gave it to Jesus. (More like an objection to the pastor's expectation and the way he tries to explain the parable.)

I believe this is a very bad way to explain the parabel. It is not about money and increasing in money. It is a warning for all christians to be prepared before Christ's return. Mark 8:36 For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul?

What is the MOST valuable that we have been given by Christ? Not money, not talents. But the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We must share it boldly and generously with everybody we meet. So when He comes back, we have been good servants. (If people say you need money to do it effectively... that sounds like blasphemy in my ears. Faith is all we need, the rest will be given to us.)

Edited by Wesley L

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

After much thought on this matter. I think it would be best for me to just give the $10.00 + another $10.00 = $20.00 to the church's charity jar that goes to help someone in the church who is in need.  While I do have talents gifted to me by God, they do not seem to ones that would raise money. Which I am okay with. As we are not gifted with the same talents.  So for me, this seems to be the right thing to do at this time. 

Edited by LadyKay

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  137
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  2

Greetings,

I think I would be confused after hearing that message and I don’t know if I would accept that offer, I remember I visited a small fellowship that had unusual rules and one was you had to write your name on an envelope and also the amount of tithe or offering you put in it.

Then only the people that gave tithes or offerings were asked to come down to the front and receive a group blessing which would have made the other people feel embarrassed and uncomfortable.     

I think the abilities and resources we receive or develop are to be used for the kingdom of God, to honour God and to help our neighbour in a small medium or large capacity dependent on our abilities and resources.

But to withhold our abilities and resources to honour God and help our neighbour, may be considered disregarding and wasting our abilities and resources but that also depends on the context.

But to be given a proposal and informed this is the desired outcome, can open the door to endless activities agendas and undertakings so where does it end?

There needs to be boundaries and guidelines to follow, when there are community and fellowship outreach programs so everyone feels safe and supported so they can contribute their abilities and resources to help meet the needs of the fellowship and community together.