• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.97
  • Days Won:  10

3 hours ago, David1701 said:

Rom. 14:23 (KJV) And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin. 

Can you, honestly, claim that you can smoke toxic, extremely addictive cigarettes that have no positive qualities at all (ask any doctor), in faith?

Do you care about the effect on others, who might be encouraged to take it up, if they see Christians smoking?

Whatever we do is either led by the Holy Spirit, or it is a work of the flesh, there is no third option.  Can you, honestly, claim that the Holy Spirit leads people to smoke cigarettes?  If not, then you must agree that it is a work of the flesh.

If someone eats magic mushrooms, is that a work of the flesh, or is it something that the Holy Spirit would lead you to do?  Perhaps he might lead you to smoke marijuana for "recreation"?  Why not take some cannabis, or heroin?  Where do you draw the line?

The answer is simple: if it causes harm, could encourage others to go astray, does no good, dishonours the Lord and is highly addictive, then what is there to think about?

P.S. My grandmother used to smoke sixty cigarettes a day.  She realised that it was making her ill and wasting a lot of money (she was not well off), so, one day, she stopped and never smoked another cigarette (admittedly, she had a very strong will).

My mother used to smoke twenty a day and, when I was eight years old, I thought I might like to smoke, because I saw her smoking, so I asked her if I could try a puff.  She wanted to refuse, but my father encouraged her to let me, in order to put me off them.  I took one puff and spent the next five minutes coughing and spluttering.  I have never wanted to smoke since.  Those things are disgusting!

Some people die, every year, from passive smoking, never mind smoking themselves.  Have you ever seen someone dying of lung cancer, or emphysema?

My dad died of lung cancer. He quit smoking when i was very young but still got cancer many decades later. Maybe you are right but i am having a hard time seeing how smoking is a work of flesh. You are saying that smoking will stop you from entering the Kingdom.

Galatians 5:19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, David1701 said:

Rom. 14:23 (KJV) And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin. 

Can you, honestly, claim that you can smoke toxic, extremely addictive cigarettes that have no positive qualities at all (ask any doctor), in faith?

Do you care about the effect on others, who might be encouraged to take it up, if they see Christians smoking?

Whatever we do is either led by the Holy Spirit, or it is a work of the flesh, there is no third option.  Can you, honestly, claim that the Holy Spirit leads people to smoke cigarettes?  If not, then you must agree that it is a work of the flesh.

If someone eats magic mushrooms, is that a work of the flesh, or is it something that the Holy Spirit would lead you to do?  Perhaps he might lead you to smoke marijuana for "recreation"?  Why not take some cannabis, or heroin?  Where do you draw the line?

The answer is simple: if it causes harm, could encourage others to go astray, does no good, dishonours the Lord and is highly addictive, then what is there to think about?

P.S. My grandmother used to smoke sixty cigarettes a day.  She realised that it was making her ill and wasting a lot of money (she was not well off), so, one day, she stopped and never smoked another cigarette (admittedly, she had a very strong will).

My mother used to smoke twenty a day and, when I was eight years old, I thought I might like to smoke, because I saw her smoking, so I asked her if I could try a puff.  She wanted to refuse, but my father encouraged her to let me, in order to put me off them.  I took one puff and spent the next five minutes coughing and spluttering.  I have never wanted to smoke since.  Those things are disgusting!

Some people die, every year, from passive smoking, never mind smoking themselves.  Have you ever seen someone dying of lung cancer, or emphysema?

Whatever we do is either led by the Holy Spirit, or it is a work of the flesh, there is no third option.  

Is driving a car a work of the Spirit? What about walking? Or picking my nose? Is that from the Spirit or is it a work of flesh? Neither. 

Edited by Whyme

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,174
  • Content Per Day:  7.07
  • Days Won:  98

29 minutes ago, Whyme said:

My dad died of lung cancer. He quit smoking when i was very young but still got cancer many decades later. Maybe you are right but i am having a hard time seeing how smoking is a work of flesh. You are saying that smoking will stop you from entering the Kingdom.

Galatians 5:19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

I'm in agreement with you, @Whyme. No one at any time claimed that the Lord leads anyone to smoke, and you make a valid point concerning certain foods which contain carcinogens. 

For example, muscle meat from beef, pork, poultry, and fish. Research indicates that high-temperature cooking methods produce prodigious quantities of heterocyclic amines (HCAs) in the meat, a compound which is carcinogenic to humans. HCA is produced when these meats are cooked. Charring, grilling, and smoking said meat produces polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), a carcinogen also present in cigarette smoke and automobile exhaust fumes.  

HCAs and PAHs are not present in these meats in their uncooked state. 

Edited by Marathoner
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Marathoner said:

I'm in agreement with you, @Whyme. No one at any time claimed that the Lord leads anyone to smoke, and you make a valid point concerning certain foods which contain carcinogens. 

For example, muscle meat from beef, pork, poultry, and fish. Research indicates that high-temperature cooking methods produce prodigious quantities of heterocyclic amines (HCAs) in the meat, a compound which is carcinogenic to humans. HCA is produced when these meats are cooked. Charring, grilling, and smoking said meat produces polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), a carcinogen also present in cigarette smoke and automobile exhaust fumes.  

I was going to say something about car exhaust. Thank you.

• Thumbs Up 1

The context of 1 Corinthians 6 needs to be examined exegetically. Instead of pasting the entire chapter, here's a treatment of that chapter in my own words highlighted with excepts from that chapter. The reader is welcome to test my words to see if they are exegetically true to the inspired writing of the apostle. 

What was Paul doing? In a nutshell, he was rebuking the Corinthians for their ungodliness.

They were taking one another to court. By doing so, they were appointing those least esteemed by the church to settle disputes among themselves. This was shameful; were they incapable of judging matters among themselves? Excerpt:

"Now therefore, it is already an utter failure for you that you go to law against one another. Why do you not rather accept wrong? Why do you not rather let yourselves be cheated?" (verse 7) 

Paul rebuked them for doing wrong and cheating. 

As for the latter portion of this chapter the context of our bodies being a temple of the God is made clear. Another excerpt:

All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any. Foods for the stomach and the stomach for foods, but God will destroy both it and them. Now the body is not for sexual immorality but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body. And God both raised up the Lord and will also raise us up by His power. (verses 12-14)

This body of flesh will be destroyed (we know this very well), so what we ingest into this body is of little consequence... but sexual immortality is an entirely different matter! Paul is very clearly rebuking the Corinthians for sexual immorality of all kinds in the latter portion of the chapter. 

Paul's words are in harmony with the Lord who told us that we aren't defiled by what we ingest into this body, we are defiled by what comes out of our heart. Sexual immorality is certainly something which comes out of the heart. 

Naturally, there are some who take issue with the law of liberty. A little wine was good for Timothy's ailments, a prescription from the apostle himself. And as we understand, being mastered by anything is not to our benefit so addiction (addiction comes in many forms, my friends) is something we should address in our lives. We can be addicted to food... strenuous exercise... and of course tobacco. 

However, proclaiming that smoking, which does not induce intoxication, is sinful is purely the belief of the one who condemns. The context of the latter portion of 1 Corinthians 6 clearly establishes that the apostle was writing about sexual immortality, not smoking tobacco. 

In any case where does the scripture state that smokers will not inherit the kingdom? Got a scripture for that?

Edited by Marathoner

Instead of editing the above, I'll add this here. Paul writes about how a man sins outside of his body. This is another important contextual element which should be considered. We eat foods, inhale pollutants, and engage in activities which routinely put our lives at risk in the modern age. 

The air we breathe is dangerous. Many of the foods we eat are hazardous to our health. So... seeing as how pollution is now worldwide (the poles are not exempt from polluted air) what are we to do then? Leave the earth for an unpolluted planet? Have the food we eat analyzed in a laboratory to ensure it is free of hazardous substances?

Good luck with that. ;) 

Edited by Marathoner
typos

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,244
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

11 hours ago, anynmsfmly said:

It depends on the reasons and it depends on what kind. Cigarettes can cause lung cancer, But generally only in the percentage of people with the gene to carry cancer. Marijuana can cause an increase in people with Schizophrenia, But generally only in the percentage of people with the gene to carry Mental Illness.

Cigarette smoke is common among people with severe mental illness. Marijuana can cause mental illness.

So, It depends on why you are addicted.

Today I have chronic bronchitis due to smoking for 3 years back in the 60s.  It wasn't pot, but it ruined my health and affected my baby's as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,225
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

6 hours ago, Willa said:

Today I have chronic bronchitis due to smoking for 3 years back in the 60s.  It wasn't pot, but it ruined my health and affected my baby's as well.

That's sad Willa...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  20
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

18 hours ago, anynmsfmly said:

It depends on the reasons and it depends on what kind. Cigarettes can cause lung cancer, But generally only in the percentage of people with the gene to carry cancer. Marijuana can cause an increase in people with Schizophrenia, But generally only in the percentage of people with the gene to carry Mental Illness.

Cigarette smoke is common among people with severe mental illness. Marijuana can cause mental illness.

So, It depends on why you are addicted.

I carry the gene to cause cancer. My grandmother died of lung cancer 

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,086
  • Content Per Day:  9.73
  • Days Won:  149

Some things we can control concerning our health. Some things we can't. Most of us either have had or presently have a vice of one kind or another. Even those brothers who kicked one thing might have another. The C-stores are inundated with people in there buying chewing tobacco, cigarettes etc. all day every day. It is a common vice that many people struggle with.

So far as pointing a finger at a brother for smoking. I wouldn't do that in  judgmental way. Instead I suggest we should be concerned for their health and maybe try to point them to ways that could help them quit. The OP is encouraging conversation on the subject and so I don't feel bringing out opinions are judgmental. As with most Christians who are into an unhealthy vice the poster desires to give it up or is convicted about it. I remember a deacon or two standing out in front of my old church smoking a cigarette before the service. At least one of those men died of lung cancer. 

David had a good point that I feel was overlooked. Our bodies are the temples of God. The dwelling place for the Holy Spirit. We should be taking measures to make sure the temple is as clean as we can make it. God works sometimes suddenly and sometimes He works gradually to free us up from our harmful vices or sins. Christians caught up in a bad habit should pray to be delivered and apply themselves to quit it. Seek help if needed.Seek the prayers of those brothers and sisters around them. Many prayer groups ask for requests. 

As with anything health related that is destructive the results of the behavior or practice don't generally show up for the younger person right away, so you may think you're getting away with it. Staying healthy while smoking, living on junk food, staying up till 2 in the morning. Young people don't get that it's going to catch up with you. These are the toothless, cancer ridden diabetic people later in life who put on that extra 50 pounds. So not only is harming the temple of God a barrier to God. It's also a cumulative thing that if you don't correct it you're going to be sorry later.

I remember a few very pretty girls in my school when I was young that now are almost unrecognizable now due to bad health choices and habits. Do you want to be an old hag by the time you're 50?

Yes age is going to take it's toll on all of us. Let's not help to expedite the process.