Whyme

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,323
  • Content Per Day:  1.05
  • Days Won:  5

“When you are surrounded by good company and people that share the same beliefs with you, it is easy to continue to live the life you know you should be living. When you hang out with people who do not share the same morals as you, and maybe don’t understand why you believe the way you do, it can have a serious impact on your life. I’m not saying not to have friends who don’t believe the way you do, I am saying to limit your time with them.

Be smart with the situations you are in with them. You can be a witness to them, but they can also be a negative influence on you. It is easy to go with the flow and do what everyone else is doing, even when you know it is wrong, because so many other people are saying it is okay. This is why the verse says that bad company corrupts good morals. Your faith needs to be protected and nurtured, and that is what happens when you hang out with people that share your beliefs.

Be smart with who you hang out with, because it can impact the person you become.”

Edited by Hopefully

I’m not saying not to have friends who don’t believe the way you do, I am saying to limit your time with them.

You can be a witness to them, but they can also be a negative influence on you. 

Be smart with who you hang out with, because it can impact the person you become.”

“Don’t be fooled: “Bad friends will ruin good habits.””
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭15:33‬ ‭

“Be friends with those who are wise, and you will become wise. Choose fools to be your friends, and you will have trouble.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭13:20‬ ‭

Edited by Hopefully

You can be a witness to them.

I am saying to limit your time with them.

“Don’t be fooled: “Bad friends will ruin good habits.””

“Be friends with those who are wise, and you will become wise. Choose fools to be your friends, and you will have trouble.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭13:20‬ ‭

One example of morals being ruined is certain people  can get you to believe it’s okay for a man to identify as a woman. Hang around people who believe homosexuality is okay and your morals can become ruined. 

Shorten your time with them only to witness to them and maybe you can get them to change their minds vs them changing your mind.

“Your spirit is like a lamp to the Lord. He is able to see into your deepest parts.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭20:27‬ ‭

Edited by Hopefully
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.51
  • Days Won:  12

11 minutes ago, Chicken coop2 said:

If one is so obsessed and preoccupied with such worries, they could go live where those things are illegal and punishable by being imprisoned or executed.  Of course, the same penalties in many such places are also given to those who are Christian. 

1 Cor. 15:33 (ESV) Do not be deceived: “Bad company ruins good morals.”

Just now, Chicken coop2 said:

Yes. Absolutely.  Shame on the missionaries who for ages have dedicated their lives to helping to bring unbelievers to Christ.  Shame on them for becoming a part of their community, becoming their friends, learning about their culture, learning their language, establishing the close relationships that are needed to really make an impact.  Shame on them for having brought millions to Christ over the ages.

Shame shame shame.

Who said anything about not learning language or culture?  Who said anything about not going to people, to tell them the gospel?

Close relationships are not required to "make an impact" with the gospel!  What is required is delivering the gospel message faithfully, in the power of the Holy Spirit, and being a good witness (by being holy, loving, truthful, etc.).

Just now, Chicken coop2 said:

You obviously have never worked in the missions field.  

And you learn as much as possible about them in order to become close to them . The closer you are, the stronger your relationship with them is, the greater your success will be. 

This is a hidden kind of idolatry (although not deliberate, I'm sure).  The gospel is the power of God unto salvation, for everyone who believes.  It is the gospel, preached faithfully, in the power of the Holy Spirit, that brings salvation.  This does not require any relationship at all.

Assuming that you are equating "success" with more salvations, which is itself an erroneous usage of "success", that would mean that salvation, in part, depended upon our works.  This is NOT the gospel!

For an evangelist, success is preaching the gospel faithfully and truthfully, in the power of the Holy Spirit.  It is God who gives the increase and he does not depend upon our relationships.

11 minutes ago, Chicken coop2 said:

And your personal experiences? 

I've done quite a bit of outreach (at youth groups, a couple of beach missions, some street preaching, some handing out tracts) and witnessed to people I know (e.g. at work); but, I am not an evangelist or missionary.

One of the people at work told me that he'd "become a better Christian", because of my witness.  Another told that she had got saved, partly as a result of listening to my witness to others.  Several, at one of the beach missions and some at the youth groups made professions of salvation.

Now, how does any of this help our conversation?  It doesn't.  Why?  Because we need to live according to what the Bible says and interpret our experiences in the light of that.

Edited by David1701

Shorten your time with unbelievers not to become yoked with them. Respect them, love them, witness to them, but don’t spend so much time with them that your morals may be compromised.

• Well Said! 1

1 minute ago, Chicken coop2 said:

And, isn't it rather prejudiced to say someone has bad morals simply because they are not a Christian? 

“Don’t be fooled: “Bad friends will ruin good habits.””