Amigo42

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  266
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0

Is it possible that we have the entire view of tongues wrong?  If you read the passage, it shows that everyone heard the gospel in their own tongue.  So, for example, an apostle may have been preaching in Aramaic to a crowd of 20 nationalities, but with each hearing their languages.  In other words, was the gift of tongues in the part of those who heard.  This would mean that the apostles may not have actually spoken any language except their own.  

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,949
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

1 hour ago, Amigo42 said:

Is it possible that we have the entire view of tongues wrong?  If you read the passage, it shows that everyone heard the gospel in their own tongue.  So, for example, an apostle may have been preaching in Aramaic to a crowd of 20 nationalities, but with each hearing their languages.  In other words, was the gift of tongues in the part of those who heard.  This would mean that the apostles may not have actually spoken any language except their own.  

Act 2:4  And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

So why would onlookers think they were drunk . . .?

Act 2:13-15  Others mocking said, "They are full of new wine."  (14)  But Peter, standing up with the eleven, raised his voice and said to them, "Men of Judea and all who dwell in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and heed my words.  (15)  For these are not drunk, as you suppose, since it is only the third hour of the day.

I advise steering clear of revisionist nonsense.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Content Count:  41,193
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

The major issue of tongues is that it removes communication and reverts to emotions/feelings... You just have to read John 17 to understand God’s method of communication is through His Word... 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,129
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

5 hours ago, Amigo42 said:

Is it possible that we have the entire view of tongues wrong?

I think it would greatly depend on who "We" is.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

5 hours ago, Amigo42 said:

As with any of the gifts, it's not the person with the gift doing the work, but the Holy Spirit working through them.  I have no doubt that the Holy Spirit knows every language known to man.  This was my first thought when reading your post.  My second was why would scripture tell us that the use of the gift was when they "spoke" if it really meant when they "heard"?

4 minutes ago, Chicken coop2 said:

@OneLight

I thought the very first time I read this not knowing anything about tongues that they were speaking their first language to an audience of those of various different first languages and the audience heard it in whatever each individual's first language was. 

Isn't it a blessing when we can learn and grow!  When we read things for the first time, some of what we read just doesn't register, but when we read it again, a light bulb turns on.  Look at verse 4 where it says "speak" and "utterance", and again in verse 6 and 7 referring to "speak".

3 minutes ago, Chicken coop2 said:

Furthermore, in this case there is no mention of an interpreter. One is not needed. 

Tongues here means speaking in your first language and others of different first languages hear it in their first language. 

Tongues can also mean speaking in an unknown spiritual language you could call it, to an audience, for example who all have the same first language and an interpreter tells them what is being said. 

A third type of tongues is when it is just you and God having a private personal conversation.  

I agree.  My point was that the gift is not about hearing in another language, but in speaking another language, which is why I addresses the OP. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  266
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0

36 minutes ago, OneLight said:

As with any of the gifts, it's not the person with the gift doing the work, but the Holy Spirit working through them.  I have no doubt that the Holy Spirit knows every language known to man.  This was my first thought when reading your post.  My second was why would scripture tell us that the use of the gift was when they "spoke" if it really meant when they "heard"?

Good point!  I'd still say it's the gift of tongues even if the speaker spoke one language and the audience heard multiple languages through their ears.  Still the gift of tongues.  It's also possible that people miraculously spoke in languages they did not know.  

13 minutes ago, Chicken coop2 said:

As for the third type, I started doing that as a little kid.  There was nothing nor nobody to influence me about it.  I knew nothing about tongues from bible, church, individuals etc. Never heard of tongues in any way shape or form until bible study group in college.  

I felt like I was having a private conversation with God.  This got me very interested in foriegn languages. So, my first chance to study a foreign language was my freshman year in high school.  So, I took French.  Then added Spanish.  I got hooked.  BA French, MA French, MA Linguistics PhD Foriegn and Second Language Education. 

Recently returned from 20 years teaching English French and Teacher Education in universities in Korea. 

Anyway, it was not until recently at this site I read about what I started doing as a kid and still do today.  Here it was referred to as prayer language. 

We are from opposite pole in studies.  I have a very hard time with spoken languages, but have no problem with numbers.  Interesting how God uses who He will! 

Yup, I know it also as a prayer language as we are speaking directly to God, as the Holy Spirit gives utterance. 

2 minutes ago, Amigo42 said:

Good point!  I'd still say it's the gift of tongues even if the speaker spoke one language and the audience heard multiple languages through their ears.  Still the gift of tongues.  It's also possible that people miraculously spoke in languages they did not know.  

I don't put God in a box, but I also won't allow my imagination to dictate my understanding.  Scripture nowhere refers to this gift as a gift of hearing, so I don't give thought to it being so.  By doing so, we may quickly find ourselves falsely understanding what scripture truly claims.