• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,322
  • Content Per Day:  7.99
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

3 minutes ago, Alive said:

I understand what Enoob to mean is that God's Word and promises when relied upon can be understood to be the greatest expression and realization of power as God's declarations are ultimate. The power is God. When we unite with Him and agree with Him in it--there is no greater power we can access.

I don't see enoob expressing this as self-effort.

yes it is weighed out by God as His work alone and those who receive it have absolutely nothing of themselves to bring to the table...

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.50
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

Just now, enoob57 said:

yes it is weighed out by God as His work alone and those who receive it have absolutely nothing of themselves to bring to the table...

And that there is as fundamental as it gets...fundamental as the word is defined irrespective of its popular use.

:-)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,057
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/07/1955

AND  YET  SO  MANY  OPINIONS  AND  BOOKS  FROM  MAN ------ WORKS  

HEBREWS 5:13  for everyone that useth milk is unskillful in the word of righteousness 

--5:14-- but strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age even those who ---by reason of use---have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil

PSALM 33:4  for the word of  THE  LORD  is right and all  HIS  works are done in truth 

PSALM 28:5  because they regard not the works of  THE  LORD  nor the operation of  HIS  hands  HE  shall destroy them and not build them up 

ISAIAH 2:8  their land is full of idols they worship the work of their own hands that which their fingers have made 

ACTS 19:19  many of them also which used curious arts brought their books together and burned them before all men and they counted the price of them and found it fifty thousand pieces of silver 

--19:20-- so --mightily-- grew the word of  GOD  and prevailed 

PROVERBS 18:21  death and life are in ---the  power--- of the tongue and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof 

*******REVELATION 20:12  and I saw the dead small and great stand before  GOD  and the books were opened and another book was opened which is the book of life and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books ---according to their works*******

REVELATION 2:23  and I will kill her children with death and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts and I will give unto every one of you ----according to your works----

JOHN 5:28  marvel not at this for the hour is coming in the which all that are in the graves shall hear  HIS  voice 

--5:29-- and shall come forth ---they that have --done  good-- unto the resurrection of life and they that have done evil unto the resurrection of damnation

PROVERBS 4:19  the way of the wicked is as darkness they know not at what they stumble 

PSALM 9:16  THE  LORD  is known by the judgement which  HE  executeth  the wicked is snared in the work of his own hands 

--9:17-- the wicked shall be turned into hell and all the nations that forget  GOD 

EPHESIANS 6:10  finally my brethren be strong in  THE  LORD  and in ---the power of  HIS  might 

2 PETER 1:15  moreover I will endeavor that you may be able after my decease to have these things always in remembrance 

TITUS 2:11  for the grace of  GOD  that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men

--2:12-- teaching us that denying ungodliness and worldly lusts we should live soberly righteously and godly in this present world 

LOVING  THE  LORD  JESUS  CHRIST

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.53
  • Days Won:  12

On 7/17/2021 at 10:06 PM, johnthebaptist said:

It's true that God forgives, but when we repent, we avoid a lot of trouble.

And it is God who gives repentance, to whom he will.

2 Tim. 2:25,26 (EMTV)

25 in meekness instructing those that oppose, if God perhaps may give them repentance, to a full knowledge of the truth,
26 and they regain their senses and escape out of the snare of the devil, having been captured alive by him to do his will. 

On 7/17/2021 at 10:13 PM, enoob57 said:

reliance is not self effort but as the word says relying upon God's Word to be what it says...

From what source does your "reliance" come?  Do you claim that you generated that "reliance" yourself, while still in an unregenerate state, or did God give you that reliance, by making you born again, so that reliance (i.e. faith in Jesus Christ) flowed naturally, from your new nature?

The first would be self-effort, the latter is the grace of God.

On 7/17/2021 at 10:20 PM, Alive said:

I understand what Enoob to mean is that God's Word and promises when relied upon can be understood to be the greatest expression and realization of power as God's declarations are ultimate.

The key phrase here is "...when relied upon...".  Do you not realise that you are making the same mistake as enoob?  You are making man's reliance upon God the deciding factor in salvation, instead of God's grace.

The power is God. When we unite with Him and agree with Him in it--there is no greater power we can access.

As above.

I don't see enoob expressing this as self-effort.

Nevertheless, that is what it is.

On 7/17/2021 at 10:24 PM, enoob57 said:

Can an unregenerate man bring willingness to believe in Jesus Christ to the table?  (N.B. This is a rhetorical question and I know the biblical answer; but, do you?)

Edited by David1701

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.30
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

59 minutes ago, David1701 said:

And it is God who gives repentance, to whom he will.

2 Tim. 2:25,26 (EMTV)

25 in meekness instructing those that oppose, if God perhaps may give them repentance, to a full knowledge of the truth,
26 and they regain their senses and escape out of the snare of the devil, having been captured alive by him to do his will. 

We each can choose whether or not to sin.

4 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

We each can choose whether or not to sin.

We were discussing repentance (a change of mind, resulting in turning from sin to God).  The Bible says that this change of mind, and the resulting turn from sin to God, is a gift from God that he does not give to everyone.

Are you disagreeing with the Bible, or changing the subject?

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.30
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

51 minutes ago, David1701 said:

We were discussing repentance (a change of mind, resulting in turning from sin to God).  The Bible says that this change of mind, and the resulting turn from sin to God, is a gift from God that he does not give to everyone.

Are you disagreeing with the Bible, or changing the subject?

I am pointing that you haven't completely repented if you continue to sin.